Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, it was really sad looking on tv.  In the beginning of the game, I was hoping it would fill in with the typical home opener drunks that can never get enough tailgating.  They either never made their way in or those tickets were still on the market.  

The Redskins totally deserved the lack of home crowd they got today. They earned the absent seats. You want to fill the stands at least have the team come to play.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, it was really sad looking on tv.  In the beginning of the game, I was hoping it would fill in with the typical home opener drunks that can never get enough tailgating.  They either never made their way in or those tickets were still on the market.  

I'll be interested to see the prices for the next game.

The half full stadium pretty much sums up my fandom at the moment.  Half interested.  I can't recall another time ever since following this team where I turn on the game, but also have no issue with doing other things in the background while the game is on.  

The Snyder era, (blaming him solely is probably not overly fair...?) has just taken something out of me as a fan.  I was 11 years old the last time the team won the Superbowl. The glory days of this franchise consist of mostly vague memories and highlight reels for me. 

Since Snyder took over, any time this team has even approached being a playoff team I haven't known what to do with myself because the feeling was so foreign.  The following season after a quick playoff exit would always "right" that ship though. 

Unfortunately, I seem to care less and less with each passing system. I admit, not all of it even has to do with just this franchise. A lot of issues I have with the league itself  and players etc etc.....(no it has nothing to do with the kneeling).  

5 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

That had to affect player morale... they really seemed flat the entire game.

It's been said in the other threads, I'll say it again here: If the poor millionaire babies have their feelings hurt by not having people show up for the sandlot game, they deserve to lose. Play better than sandlot and they'll get better attendance than sandlot.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I can't recall another time ever since following this team where I turn on the game, but also have no issue with doing other things in the background while the game is on.  

This is where I am.  I cannot ever remember a time when I had the opportunity to watch a game but didn't.  I really think I may skip the game next week.  I don't think I have ever been this mad with the team.  Losing happens, I get that.  But it was the way we lost.  We looked like we didn't know there was a game until 20 minutes beforehand.  

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It's been said in the other threads, I'll say it again here: If the poor millionaire babies have their feelings hurt by not having people show up for the sandlot game, they deserve to lose. Play better than sandlot and they'll get better attendance than sandlot.

Yep and it's not like this happened over night. This fanbase showed out for an inferior product for a long time. They've been beaten into submission and been told that it's ok to keep paying higher prices for a mediocre product.   Everyone one(s) has a breaking point.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is where I am.  I cannot ever remember a time when I had the opportunity to watch a game but didn't.  I really think I may skip the game next week.  I don't think I have ever been this mad with the team.  Losing happens, I get that.  But it was the way we lost.  We looked like we didn't know there was a game until 20 minutes beforehand.  

Yep.  A lot of people are throwing out the "trap game" idea, and I am actually beside myself over that. A trap game? Really? Game 2 of the season? The home opener.....after playing an awful team in the Cardinals?

This team wasn't 5-0 going into this game. They hadn't just played a short week.  They didn't just blow out a division rival in a prime time game.  How in the world could this game have been a trap game?

They simply got their butts kicked up and down the field.

2 minutes ago, Csup said:

Packers fans will invade Fedex.

At this point Fed Ex Field is basically a neutral playing site. Yes, there are still more Redskins fans than opposing fans for most games, but they are mostly apathetic to the game, probably were gifted the tickets or bought them super cheap on the secondary market.  And they sure as hell aren't going to get enthusiastic about anything unless the 'Skins do something worthwhile. 

Yeah, for the Redskins there is no such thing as a trap game.  That’s silly talk.  I think it’s fair to say that the Cardinals were garbage like many of us suspected and to the Skins credit they played harder and won decisively.  But that in no way whatsoever made this game a “trap game”.  Good to very good teams play trap games.

5 minutes ago, Csup said:

Packers fans will invade Fedex.

If I was a packers fan I know this would be a game I’d want to attend. 

How many Skins fans will want to go watch knowing it will be full of packer fans?  Going to be rough.  Would make for a satisfying win but based on today’s play (by the skins and the Packers) how realistic is a win?  Not very.

I’ve said it many times, I care just as much now as I did in 1991 and I enjoy it (at least the anticipation and gameday) just as much now as I did in 1991. Now, many seasons hit a point where it’s like “ok, that’s that” and I sort of check out emotionally, but year to year it’s all the same to me. I get no less real enjoyment from the Redskins now than I did as a kid other than the fact that it’s obviously way more fun to win and play deep into the season. 

The reason for this for me is that I’m 41 years old now,

married, three kids, run a business, yada yada yada. Spare time is harder to come

by. I still choose to invest this time in my sports teams and the Redskins are one of them. I don’t think they owe me anything. It’s my choice. I get why some have bailed. If you aren’t enjoying it, you SHOULD bail. Only makes sense. I just decided a long time ago that I’m not going to let the Redskins ruin the Redskins for me. 

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

. If you aren’t enjoying it, you SHOULD bail. Only makes sense. I just decided a long time ago that I’m not going to let the Redskins ruin the Redskins for me. 

Well, if I may clarify. I am always excited and re-energized at the start of the season. Every single season. I think the difference now is, it requires a much, much smaller sample size for me to go into "oh, this again?" mode then it used to.  I am much less likely to give the benefit of doubt to mediocre play during small stretches of games because I have come accustomed to it being a true reflection of the team and not an aberration. 

4 minutes ago, kleese said:

I’ve said it many times, I care just as much now as I did in 1991 and I enjoy it (at least the anticipation and gameday) just as much now as I did in 1991. Now, many seasons hit a point where it’s like “ok, that’s that” and I sort of check out emotionally, but year to year it’s all the same to me. I get no less real enjoyment from the Redskins now than I did as a kid other than the fact that it’s obviously way more fun to win and play deep into the season. 

Well yeah Ed, the relative scarcity of games.....we only get to see our favorite team once per week, the regular season is only four months long, and the long wait from the end of one season to the start of the next......will always give the NFL a magical element.

But there are other things that are lessening the appeal of football other than the Redskins performance. Just about every play you are looking for a phantom flag being pulled out. The penalty called on Clay Matthews today hitting Kirk was beyond ridiculous.

Specific to the Redskins, though, and this might be happening league wide, but ones eyes don't lie as far as seeing how far this team has fallen from an in-person attendance perspective. How empty that place was for the OPENING home game was stunning. 

Archived