Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

20 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

To add to that, we are better pretty much across the board.

QB -  We got Alex Smith.  Sure Carson looked good but remember RG3?  Eli is old.  Dak cant throw.  Advantage: Good Guys

Wentz all day.

OLine - We win again.  Eagles and Cowboys have a good line on paper but are injured.  I'm not sure if the Giants even have a line.    Advantage: Good Guys

Eagles and Dallas are better. Next

WR - It's between us and the Giants.  Eagles are down to Nelson Agholer and a bunch of PS players.  Can you name anyone in Dallas whos not Cole Beasley?  Only because the Giants have OBJ, they get the nod.  Advantage: Giants, but we are 1B

No. We are barely above the Cowboys here.

RB - This is a toss up.  First of all, we can eliminate the Eagles.  They should have kept Blount, Ajay is always injured.  Clemmons and Smallwood scare nobody.  So the question is, do you give the nod to a stud running back like Elliott or Saquaon?  Or do you look a stable and realize that we have a future hall of famer as well as probably the best pass catching 3rd down back in the game.  We can run it in any situation and as I layed out before,we have the best Oline to compliment our running game.  Give me a top shelf committee any day.  Advantage: Good Guys, but that is in no way a slight to Elliott or Barkley.

Nope, we're third, again in this dept. unless Peterson can get back to 2015, then it's a dogfight.

TE - Another close one.  The Giants have a young up and comer in Ingram, but they are not there yet.  Ertz had an ok game yesterday, but was absent week 1.  And the Cowboy's best TE is calling games these days.  We have a top teir TE in Reed and an awesome backup in Marylands own Vernon Davis.  Who I might add has chemistry with Alex Smith.   I'd put Reed up against anyone and we have the depth so.... Advantage: Good guys.

Well, this is the one time you're not being insane. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

On to defense

DLine - Ok, the eagles win here, its where they invested all their money.  But you know what, ours is looking pretty darn good.  One or two more players and we take this one over.  Advantage: Eagles, but we are 1B

Giants are likely better too.

Linebackers - If Sean Lee is healthy, Cowboys.  Otherwise, US.  Advantage: Depends, but HTTR!

Eagles might have us as well.

Secondary - Man, if we still had Fuller, this would be easy.  Alas he is gone.  Norman is still a top teir guy.  Meanwhile, who do the Cowboys\Giants\Eagles have?  Advantage: Redskins!

Um.....

When you look at it objectively, how can you think we WONT win the division?

Probably because this is not objective, at all. This is complete homerism. And that's fine, I guess, but it doesn't work out well when you're actually trying to be objective. And then wonder why the team you though was a 12-4 team is 5-11.

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

And quite a few receiving yards came via a RB.  It balances out.  Plus this is the creative playcalling that Dallas fans would kill for, so I hardly see that as a negative.

Creative play calling? Like running on 1st down every first down? ?

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Probably because this is not objective, at all. This is complete homerism. And that's fine, I guess, but it doesn't work out well when you're actually trying to be objective. And then wonder why the team you though was a 12-4 team is 5-11.

I don't think 12-4, I'm thinking 10-6.  I know we lost Sunday.  It sucks and no one is feeling positive.  But I think there are a lot of good things here with this team and we can't lose sight of that after one bad game.  We are tied for first, the cowboys and giants look horrible and the eagles are injured.   The next few games are going to be tough for us, but if we can go at least .500 there is no reason to think we can't make a classic Redskin late season run and take the division.

5 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I don't think 12-4, I'm thinking 10-6.  I know we lost Sunday.  It sucks and no one is feeling positive.  But I think there are a lot of good things here with this team and we can't lose sight of that after one bad game.  We are tied for first, the cowboys and giants look horrible and the eagles are injured.   The next few games are going to be tough for us, but if we can go at least .500 there is no reason to think we can't make a classic Redskin late season run and take the division.

We're not that good. Sorry.

The Eagles are a much better team than we are. They will win the division.

Dallas is not very good, but it's likely that we loose to them both times this year, because we usually stink up the join when we play them.

We are better than the Giants, but once again, we usually screw up one game with them, and we'll split that series.

There are about 7-8 teams in the NFC that are catagorically better than we are. We have no way of getting a wildcard berth, so the only way would be a Division title. And we are far below the Eagles, who get Wentz back very soon.

To quote Jim Mora...

To add to that, we are better pretty much across the board.

Kudos to you.  I wish I had this type of optimism. 

I honestly wonder at the moment if even Bruce Allen has this type of optimism. 

You do you, and good on you. 

PS: I politely disagree with everything you said, just about, and point you to @Morneblade's post above for further details. 

EDIT: I thought of one person who might have this type of blind optimism: Larry Michael (no S, just Larry Michael.)

Larry, is that you? 

23 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I don't mean to quote you a second time, but I went to ESPN to do some research

Well look at that.  We have the top rushing offense in our division.  Its because we have a TEAM and not one or two superstars.  That's all I was trying to say.  I would love to have a RB with their talent (and age).  But I'm glad we are making smart first round picks instead and utilizing a committee approach.

It is also week two. I'm guessing that by the end of the season things will be looking a lot differently. 

And I do agree with you that I don't think it is worth taking a RB with a top-five pick, but that's not what you were arguing in your original point.. You were arguing that everything aside you'd take the Redskins running backs over any other group in the NFC East. I completely disagree and am taking Zeke/Barkley and whoever their no name backups are over AP and CT every day. AP is 33 years old and CT, who I absolutely love, hasn't shown that he has the ability to stay on the field for a good portion of the season. 

What this team needs more than anything is game changers and it comes through painfully clear in games like Sunday when we can't get anything going. 

DJ Swearinger says that the team got complacent after week 1. THIS is exactly what is wrong with this team, they're going to look back on the season and realized they got complacent after beating a 3-13 team. It's totally unacceptable on all levels, we need in house leaders on the team that hold players accountable. DJ needs to bawk at people who he sees arent putting in full effort, hes one of the few who played with everything they had last week. 

Matty I is also a total stud, best DT we've had since Cornelius Griffin (wow, is he really the best we've had in the last 10-15 years?)

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kudos to you.  I wish I had this type of optimism. 

I honestly wonder at the moment if even Bruce Allen has this type of optimism. 

You do you, and good on you. 

PS: I politely disagree with everything you said, just about, and point you to @Morneblade's post above for further details. 

EDIT: I thought of one person who might have this type of blind optimism: Larry Michael (no S, just Larry Michael.)

Larry, is that you? 

He's my Dr Jekyll 

On 9/17/2018 at 3:02 PM, hatchetwound said:

RB - This is a toss up.  First of all, we can eliminate the Eagles.  They should have kept Blount, Ajay is always injured.  Clemmons and Smallwood scare nobody.  So the question is, do you give the nod to a stud running back like Elliott or Saquaon?  Or do you look a stable and realize that we have a future hall of famer as well as probably the best pass catching 3rd down back in the game.  We can run it in any situation and as I layed out before,we have the best Oline to compliment our running game.  Give me a top shelf committee any day.  Advantage: Good Guys, but that is in no way a slight to Elliott or Barkley.

You really with a straight face think we have a better RB situation then Elliot or Barkley?  Listen, I don't think the season is over either, but you are not being reasonable here.  You can't throw out Ajay who is a pro-bowl running back for getting injured when CT does, too, probablly even more so.  You damage your credibility when you say stuff reckless out the mouth like that.  Objectivity is not negativity.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:02 PM, hatchetwound said:

When you look at it objectively, how can you think we WONT win the division?

Easy, injuries to Reed and or CT ends our season, full stop.  They stay healthy, we have to prove we can beat this perfect cell version of Carson Wentz and his team that won the Super Bowl without him.  Are you like Rick from the Walking Dead and just waking up from the hospital to find out we can't tease philly about having a bucket of fried chicken in their trophy case anymore?  I don't believe is 100% but if he is, you can't objectively think that we're the favorites for the division, not if we can only score 9 points in our home opener. You are setting yourself for unrealistic expectations and illogical level of disappointment if this doesn't go the way you are predicting. Stay realistic, it hurts less.  They are calling you blind faith for a reason right now.

15 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

It is also week two. I'm guessing that by the end of the season things will be looking a lot differently. 

And I do agree with you that I don't think it is worth taking a RB with a top-five pick, but that's not what you were arguing in your original point.. You were arguing that everything aside you'd take the Redskins running backs over any other group in the NFC East. I completely disagree and am taking Zeke/Barkley and whoever their no name backups are over AP and CT every day. AP is 33 years old and CT, who I absolutely love, hasn't shown that he has the ability to stay on the field for a good portion of the season. 

What this team needs more than anything is game changers and it comes through painfully clear in games like Sunday when we can't get anything going. 

Very good point.  I should probably wait 2 weeks and reassess.  Early returns have been promising but lets see where we are at with 25% of the season in the books.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You really with a straight face think we have a better RB situation then Elliot or Barkley?  Listen, I don't think the season is over either, but you are not being reasonable here.  You can't throw out Ajay who is a pro-bowl running back for getting injured when CT does, too, probablly even more so.  You damage your credibility when you say stuff reckless out the mouth like that.  Objectivity is not negativity.

So far we lead the division in rushing yards.  I'm going to wait 2 weeks and see if that remains to be the case. 

But please be fair.  I didn't say our talent is superior to Elliot or Barklay.  I just think we have the better overall committee.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Easy, injuries to Reed and or CT ends our season, full stop.  They stay healthy, we have to prove we can beat this perfect cell version of Carson Wentz and his team that won the Super Bowl without him.  Are you like Rick from the Walking Dead and just waking up from the hospital to find out we can't tease philly about having a bucket of fried chicken in their trophy case anymore?  I don't believe is 100% but if he is, you can't objectively think that we're the favorites for the division, not if we can only score 9 points in our home opener. You are setting yourself for unrealistic expectations and illogical level of disappointment if this doesn't go the way you are predicting. Stay realistic, it hurts less.  They are calling you blind faith for a reason right now.

I've never seen the Walking dead so this went over my head.  Sorry :( 

But you are right, I'll temper my expecations and see where we are at in 2 weeks.  If we go 1-1 in that time span, I think that sets us up nicely for the long haul.  Just have to get there.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:08 AM, Chachie said:

Yep. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, Skinsinparadise said:
  1. Chris Thompson had some thoughts on the low turnout yesterday: "... I know we want to have our stadium packed out. That makes us feel good. It makes us feel like we have the support of the people ... For it to be as empty as it was, to me, it was a little bit of a shock."

Scott Jennings Retweeted
  2. Most players said they didn’t notice or didn’t care about the crowd. Chris Thompson noticed and cared. He says he was disappointed with both the turnout and the boos. Says they have to play better, but yesterday hurt.

4 replies4 retweets9 likes

Beating the packers would go along way to correcting this. But thats probably reaching.

3 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Beating the packers would go along way to correcting this. But thats probably reaching.

I'm not sure if "reaching" is the right word, but I think you're right about the jist of it. It's going to take more than one game, and likely one season, for fans to come back. Even if some how we beat Green Bay, no one will have any faith that the team is turning around, it's going to take a lot longer to convince fans that this team has any chance of actually being good. It's been bad for so long, and to add to it, has been teased by the owner for so long. It's like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown, until, Charlie is ****ing done, and walks away.

Lucy begging him to come back and try again isn't going to work anymore.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

@hatchetwound the thing with Elliot and Barkley is they are so good they don't need a committee, those are three down backs.  I'd rather have that then lose all our speed at the position if something happens to CT.

I get that.  But this is exactly why I feel like we are in better shape with a top committee.  If CT goes down, yeah, we lose our home run threat.  We still have AP.  If Barklay goes down, then what do they have?  Broken down Jonathan Stewart?  If Elliott goes down.... I'll be honest, I don't know who Dallas has behind him without looking it up. It was Morris and RunDMC last year, but neither are there now.

So they do have the superior back, but we can rotate guys to keep them fresh and have a little insurance against injury.  It's like handcuffing your stud RB in fantasy.

5 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I get that.  But this is exactly why I feel like we are in better shape with a top committee.  If CT goes down, yeah, we lose our home run threat.  We still have AP.  If Barklay goes down, then what do they have?  Broken down Jonathan Stewart?  If Elliott goes down.... I'll be honest, I don't know who Dallas has behind him without looking it up. It was Morris and RunDMC last year, but neither are there now.

So they do have the superior back, but we can rotate guys to keep them fresh and have a little insurance against injury.  It's like handcuffing your stud RB in fantasy.

Both Elliot and Barkley haven't shown an injury history to suggest they should be really worried compared to CT.  I like AP, but he won't make up for losing CT, no one in the roster can.  We lose somebody we are just as screwed as they are, but we aren't starting at the same point in overall talent. Handcuffing i always felt was desparet, get a running back that will get the rock and do something amazing with it on any given play.  Both are generational talents, i get what you saying, but if id rather have the situation of an elite runner i can't agree with you. 

With all due respect, "We're baaaack" in the title is not the state of things in Redskinsland after that atrocious performance at home against the Colts.  The more appropriate expression is "We're still here" because, regardless of personnel changes, the team continues to run in place like the proverbial hamster on a wheel. 

Really, was anyone shocked by that performance.  Not just that they loss, but more importantly how they loss.  I didn't make a prediction last week because I didn't want to be a "Debbie Downer."  In fact, I avoided the thread altogether.

Only those who refused to look didn't see that coming. ?  

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Both Elliot and Barkley haven't shown an injury history to suggest they should be really worried compared to CT.  I like AP, but he won't make up for losing CT, no one in the roster can.  We lose somebody we are just as screwed as they are, but we aren't starting at the same point in overall talent. Handcuffing i always felt was desparet, get a running back that will get the rock and do something amazing with it on any given play.  Both are generational talents, i get what you saying, but if id rather have the situation of an elite runner i can't agree with you. 

Didn't Barklay hurt his hammy in one of the first practices and miss most\all of training camp?  Injury bug jury is still out.

Elliott appears to be durable, I'll give you that.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

Didn't Barklay hurt his hammy in one of the first practices and miss most\all of training camp?  Injury bug jury is still out.

Elliott appears to be durable, I'll give you that.

I can't confirm how much time he missed just not nearly as much as you are suggesting.  You are reaching, bro

Archived