Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

....I’d just like one season in my life where they are good the entire season. Late runs are fools good that never lead to anything meaningful unless you’re the Giants.

just one year where they are good every year and have a playoff spot wrapped up early. Almost every team has had one in my 25 years except the Browns and Bills I guess 

2012 was there season till that stupid ass turf grabbed Griffin's leg or stupid ass Griffin didn't move his leg properly lol

Some of Keim's thoughts that he put on Facebook

A few observations and thoughts after the Washington Redskins 21-9 loss to the Indianapolis Colts:

1. The atmosphere at FedEx has always been bad for a variety of reasons. For starters, the team is only 84-84-1 at home since moving to this place, so it’s not as if they’ve given people a reason to attend. They’ve been mediocre to bad during most of this era, with an occasional flash year sprinkled in. And I also know the newcomers to the organization wanted to avoid the secondary market ticket sales based on feedback from season-ticket holders. They didn’t like that tickets they bought for a lot of money could be purchased for so little on various sites. That’s why ticket prices weren’t lower on-line, even shortly before kickoff. Then it comes down to: Do you really want to spend a lot to attend the game? No, you don’t. If they were better? Sure. All the reasons I’m hearing on social media for not attending have been in place for years: high parking costs; bad location; poor or mediocre team; dissatisfied with upper management. All of that coupled with keeping ticket costs high ended up with a horrible showing. I'm not going to ever knock fans for not paying that much money, not when I enter for free. It's a lot and it must be worth it to attend.

2. That said, it was a home opener coming off a good season-opening win (bad opponent, but handled the way they should). And they couldn’t get more than 57,013 to show up (the team never announced the attendance; this was paid attendance that was put on the gamebook). Of that number, there were thousands of Colts fans. It was embarrassing, especially for the first home game. I can’t imagine what it will be like in December if they’re not winning. But it’s also been true in the past that owner Dan Snyder will make moves when he sees this sort of apathy or anger toward the organization (Vinny Cerrato was fired when it started to get like this before). The Bruce Allen regime has had plenty of time to get this turned around. This is a big year for many involved in the organization. They have to win and make this a more likeable franchise. If Sunday taught them that, then in the long run this could lead to a positive development.

3. Snyder clearly is not beloved by the fan base. Funny thing is, Jack Kent Cooke wasn’t always a nice guy, but the Redskins won so his personality became an amusement. And he hired smart people who were driven to win; nothing more. Joe Gibbs might have been viewed by the fan base as a lovable fatherly type but ask anyone who worked with him or for him in his first time here and they’ll tell you: He was a ruthless competitor. His glare cut through souls. He is a nice guy, but hard to imagine anyone wanted to win more.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of Keim's thoughts that he put on Facebook

And I also know the newcomers to the organization wanted to avoid the secondary market ticket sales based on feedback from season-ticket holders. They didn’t like that tickets they bought for a lot of money could be purchased for so little on various sites. That’s why ticket prices weren’t lower on-line, even shortly before kickoff.

I think this contributed some to the low crowd as well. Skins seem to be making a concerted effort to not have as many tickets available to brokers.  The Stubhub discounts that have been prevalent in recent years were not there yesterday.  The club level seats that probably would've gone for $50-70 on Stubhub for an early season Rams game a couple seasons ago were going for $120-140 yesterday.  This strategy might pay off in the long run, but seemed to result in a lot of empty seats yesterday.

Obviously I'm still hoping for a course correction, although the upcoming games make for a murderer's row. But it still feels like this team just cannot, or will not, get out of its own way.

People were griping that Scot Mc didn't bat 1000 but the team had vitality, identity, and a plan when puffy cheeks was in the house. Now it's Harvest Time, trade the steady QB for the older, almost as expensive steady QB, etc., etc.

Anyways, I look forward to eating these words after we smoke the Packers 34-17 . . . :ph34r:

This sounds about right, been favored often comes off of a win the week before. 

HarryFoxSports LLC Retweeted

Since Joe Gibbs left, the Redskins are 8-7 straight up at home when they're favored by at least 6 points. That's the worst winning percentage in the league. I mean, they're a coin flip to win at home when they're favored by at least 6! That's bad.

3 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

While our fan base is certainly eroding at a rapid rate, Dan won't have attendance issues when the NFC East rivals or the more popular teams come to town.

Next weeks' game will probably fetch 60% Packers fans. 

Dan will continue to make his money. And no changes will be made as long as the money continues to roll in. Sad

Well, I guess if he doesn't care who is sitting in the seats then sure, but with this push to make the game day experience better for the fans (Skins fans) I would think it would be disappointing to him.  I don't know man -- What a joke this once great franchise has become.  I'm glad I've been able to divorce myself emotionally from the team over the past few years.  I still watch but losses don't effect me the way they used to.  Football in general -- I don't watch nearly as much as in the past.

7 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

We are tied for first and the other two teams with a win look like hot garbage.  We're fine!

Was thinking about this, as way of silver linings and what not. Maybe it goes differently, but it sure looks like the parity of the League is going to have most teams hovering around .500 by December. There will be a few that excel a bit or suck more, but the end results will probably have a lot to do with which teams are healthy late in the year. 

I think most going into the season wouldn't have batted an eye about the team being 1-1 after two games. I can live with 1-1 or 1-2 to start out. The big slap in the face concern I now have is the health of the OL, especially the OTs, who look hobbled. I don't know what went so wrong in the trenches yesterday, but it was alarming. 

To add to that, we are better pretty much across the board.

QB -  We got Alex Smith.  Sure Carson looked good but remember RG3?  Eli is old.  Dak cant throw.  Advantage: Good Guys

OLine - We win again.  Eagles and Cowboys have a good line on paper but are injured.  I'm not sure if the Giants even have a line.    Advantage: Good Guys

WR - It's between us and the Giants.  Eagles are down to Nelson Agholer and a bunch of PS players.  Can you name anyone in Dallas whos not Cole Beasley?  Only because the Giants have OBJ, they get the nod.  Advantage: Giants, but we are 1B

RB - This is a toss up.  First of all, we can eliminate the Eagles.  They should have kept Blount, Ajay is always injured.  Clemmons and Smallwood scare nobody.  So the question is, do you give the nod to a stud running back like Elliott or Saquaon?  Or do you look a stable and realize that we have a future hall of famer as well as probably the best pass catching 3rd down back in the game.  We can run it in any situation and as I layed out before,we have the best Oline to compliment our running game.  Give me a top shelf committee any day.  Advantage: Good Guys, but that is in no way a slight to Elliott or Barkley.

TE - Another close one.  The Giants have a young up and comer in Ingram, but they are not there yet.  Ertz had an ok game yesterday, but was absent week 1.  And the Cowboy's best TE is calling games these days.  We have a top teir TE in Reed and an awesome backup in Marylands own Vernon Davis.  Who I might add has chemistry with Alex Smith.   I'd put Reed up against anyone and we have the depth so.... Advantage: Good guys.

On to defense

DLine - Ok, the eagles win here, its where they invested all their money.  But you know what, ours is looking pretty darn good.  One or two more players and we take this one over.  Advantage: Eagles, but we are 1B

Linebackers - If Sean Lee is healthy, Cowboys.  Otherwise, US.  Advantage: Depends, but HTTR!

Secondary - Man, if we still had Fuller, this would be easy.  Alas he is gone.  Norman is still a top teir guy.  Meanwhile, who do the Cowboys\Giants\Eagles have?  Advantage: Redskins!

When you look at it objectively, how can you think we WONT win the division?

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Oh I think it will be a brutal task. After such bipolar games, I just don't know what this team is. 

I really thought this OL was going to be top 10-12. 

There were a few missed communications last week that were frighteningly bad, but overall, the OL showed to be what I'd call top 10. 

Then, yesterday, they looked bottom tier. 

I guess the good news is, making predictions now doesn't really matter a bit. We're on the ride, and we either see where it goes or we get off and find something else to do with the Sundays. 

42 minutes ago, Probos said:

Well, I guess if he doesn't care who is sitting in the seats then sure, but with this push to make the game day experience better for the fans (Skins fans) I would think it would be disappointing to him.

For people who went yesterday and would like to compare notes, I'd love to hear how the game day experience was markedly different yesterday.  Aside from the upper level "scrim" painted red and opening up the west end zone (which was open when the stadium first opened before Snyder put seats there), I didn't see a whole lot aside from copycatting gimmicky crap done by other teams.

I know it was only one game and should be an ongoing work in progress, but still.

43 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

To add to that, we are better pretty much across the board.

QB -  We got Alex Smith.  Sure Carson looked good but remember RG3?  Eli is old.  Dak cant throw.  Advantage: Good Guys

Carson is light years, LIGHT YEARS ahead of Alex Smith. Dak is Alex Smith but 9 years younger and not on a terrible contract. Eli and Smith are about the same quality now except Eli will make meaningful throws every now and then and Smith throws less INTs.

I’m so sick of these Smith defenders. This entire deal ruined our franchise for the near future.

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Carson is light years, LIGHT YEARS ahead of Alex Smith. Dak is Alex Smith but 9 years younger and not on a terrible contract. Eli and Smith are about the same quality now except Eli will make meaningful throws every now and then and Smith throws less INTs.

I’m so sick of these Smith defenders. This entire deal ruined our franchise for the near future.

If saying its only been 2 games with a new team and a new system makes me a "Smith defender" .. then so be it.

If saying Alex Smith seems to be a really good game manager who can run a competent offense with the pieces we have makes me a "Smith defender" ... then so be it.

Not to pull the "fan card" but screaming Alex Smith sucks in all 12 of your posts today seems like a neophyte knee-jerk take on things imo. Alex Smith is what we expected. He should get better as the season goes on. But he will never be an elite, win it for your type QB. Very few of us were happy with the way things went w Kirk or giving up pieces for Smith. It was a desperate move by a FO trying to keep their job.

We are 1-1.

Im not "defending smith". He is an average QB who can run a playbook and we can win with if things are working around him. Saying things like cut or trade him now, fire Gruden now etc .... seems like this is your first rodeo.

Its 2 games.

I will bet you my sig for a year that Alex will put up more than 4k in passing yards and be top 20 QBR if he starts at least 15 games.  

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I will bet you my sig for a year that Alex will put up more than 4k in passing yards and be top 20 QBR if he starts at least 15 games.  

The only reason I wouldn’t take this bet is because I don’t want to get against it.   The top 20 QBR will probably hit, but the 4K yards is no given.  Perhaps if everything goes well or everything goes so poorly he gets 1000 junk time yards.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only reason I wouldn’t take this bet is because I don’t want to get against it.   The top 20 QBR will probably hit, but the 4K yards is no given.  Perhaps if everything goes well or everything goes so poorly he gets 1000 junk time yards.

Hopefully we wont be in many junk times games. I think a lot of his yards will come how they have come - underneath stuff and 3 yd passes to CT or AP that go for 10 YAC with the occasional 15-25 yarder through the air mixed in there.

Alex = good at short to mid stuff w some ability to extend plays or run for a 1st D.

CT/AP/Reed/Crowder = seem to be good at catch and go stuff.

Gruden = he can design plays to get the ball to guys in a position to rack up the YAC

Everything is there for a decent offense that will struggle at times if we cant stretch the field. Alex is avg 274 yds a game in 2 of his first games with our team in not so great passing outings.

274 x 15 = 4,110 yds

18 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

If saying its only been 2 games with a new team and a new system makes me a "Smith defender" .. then so be it.

If saying Alex Smith seems to be a really good game manager who can run a competent offense with the pieces we have makes me a "Smith defender" ... then so be it.

Not to pull the "fan card" but screaming Alex Smith sucks in all 12 of your posts today seems like a neophyte knee-jerk take on things imo. Alex Smith is what we expected. He should get better as the season goes on. But he will never be an elite, win it for your type QB. Very few of us were happy with the way things went w Kirk or giving up pieces for Smith. It was a desperate move by a FO trying to keep their job.

We are 1-1.

Im not "defending smith". He is an average QB who can run a playbook and we can win with if things are working around him. Saying things like cut or trade him now, fire Gruden now etc .... seems like this is your first rodeo.

Its 2 games.

It hasn’t been two games. It’s been 14 seasons. He isn’t good.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

Without touching the rest of your homerific post:

Gruden's record against the NFC East:  10-14

Dallas:  2-6 (lost last four matchups)

Philly:   5-3 (lost last two matchups)

NY:  3-5 (lost last matchup)

53 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Lets see how he does next week.  His mobility literally carried him last season.  He may not be the same in the pocket.  He had his injury in what, November?  Probably still gimpy.  He's no Adrian Pederson!

Archived