Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

19 minutes ago, megared said:

Without touching the rest of your homerific post:

Gruden's record against the NFC East:  10-14

Dallas:  2-6 (lost last four matchups)

Philly:   5-3 (lost last two matchups)

NY:  3-5 (lost last matchup)

I'm talking from a pure talent perspective.  Gruden gets a little bit of a pass because he finally has the QB of his dreams.

12 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Lets see how he does next week.  His mobility literally carried him last season.  He may not be the same in the pocket.  He had his injury in what, November?  Probably still gimpy.  He's no Adrian Pederson!

Kelce, Hunt, and Hill carried him last season.

10 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Is there an alternate football universe where the good players that catch and run the ball don't help the QB succeed? 

IN before the "well, here in DC!" jokes. 

They’re not just good. They’re all elite. Smith was never more than average in KC until he had all 3 and Mahomes was there to light a fire under his @$$.

Did you not see how awful Smith was mid-season? When they abandoned the run game?

2 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

To add to that, we are better pretty much across the board.

RB - This is a toss up.  First of all, we can eliminate the Eagles.  They should have kept Blount, Ajay is always injured.  Clemmons and Smallwood scare nobody.  So the question is, do you give the nod to a stud running back like Elliott or Saquaon?  Or do you look a stable and realize that we have a future hall of famer as well as probably the best pass catching 3rd down back in the game.  We can run it in any situation and as I layed out before,we have the best Oline to compliment our running game.  Give me a top shelf committee any day.  Advantage: Good Guys, but that is in no way a slight to Elliott or Barkley.

You're honestly telling me that you'd take a 33 year-old Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson over Ezekiel Elliot or Saquon Barkley? Dude... pass whatever you're smoking my way...

2 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

You're honestly telling me that you'd take a 33 year-old Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson over Ezekiel Elliot or Saquon Barkley? Dude... pass whatever you're smoking my way...

This dude has to be paid by Dan. There is no other way he could be this delusional.

22 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

I'm just looking at it from a Moneyball perspective.  I literally said that both Elliot and Barklay is better.  However depth wise and situational wise we are better off.  Even Elliott needs to rest at times and having two really good RBs help in that regard.  Look at teams like the Panthers for all those years.  Deangelo and Jonathan steward.  Steward and McCaffery.  Up until this year they always had a great one two punch.  Neither was elite and on the levels of Barklay and Elliott.  But together created a formidable running attack that you had to respect in all phases of the game.

21 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The half full stadium pretty much sums up my fandom at the moment.  Half interested.  I can't recall another time ever since following this team where I turn on the game, but also have no issue with doing other things in the background while the game is on.  

The Snyder era, (blaming him solely is probably not overly fair...?) has just taken something out of me as a fan.  I was 11 years old the last time the team won the Superbowl. The glory days of this franchise consist of mostly vague memories and highlight reels for me. 

Since Snyder took over, any time this team has even approached being a playoff team I haven't known what to do with myself because the feeling was so foreign.  The following season after a quick playoff exit would always "right" that ship though. 

Unfortunately, I seem to care less and less with each passing system. I admit, not all of it even has to do with just this franchise. A lot of issues I have with the league itself  and players etc etc.....(no it has nothing to do with the kneeling).  

It's called growing up, I think.  When you're a kid you are looking for models of excellence (at least athletically) and we gravitate towards sports stars in our society. I knew all the stats, I was a walking encyclopedia for basketball and football.  I still had the leisure time as a kid, even with school.  I noticed when I went to college, partly due to DirecTV not being as widespread, I didn't see a lot of Redskins games.  My life was OK, I kept up with the Skins and saw a few games.

After school and just working, sure it's a social occasion, and outlet, whatever.  But at some point life just becomes too "full" and you're no longer coasting on the momentum built during your youth.  I think this is why people bandwagon, not just because they're pathetic, disloyal losers who deserve to die, but because winning is the only thing that can sustain that youthful exuberance.  They're really nostalgia addicts.  

There is no going home but winning would sure as heck help.  I "grew up" (I don't mean teenage years) associated with the members of this site.  Some were as old or older than I am now when it was a private board.  We all still love the team but we move on in life.  Sort of like some friends who you don't stay in contact with...just accept it and appreciate the game in small doses.

But the notion of wearing another man's name (except Sean Taylor RIP) on my back or cheering on the exploits of people who are no longer my elders or peers but are now practically children creeps me out a bit.                                                                                                                                                                    

1 hour ago, skinsfan834 said:

I don't mean to quote you a second time, but I went to ESPN to do some research

Rushing Yards Leaders

RK TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD YDS/G FUM FUML
1 Houston 60 315 5.3 31 1 157.5 2 1
2 Denver 60 314 5.2 53 2 157.0 0 0
3 San Francisco 53 280 5.3 66 1 140.0 3 1
4 Cleveland 65 270 4.2 24 3 135.0 2 0
5 Carolina 50 268 5.4 29 2 134.0 1 1
6 Miami 60 255 4.3 21 1 127.5 0 0
7 Washington 64 247 3.9 25 1 123.5 2 0
8 Atlanta 50 244 4.9 36 3 122.0 3 0
9 Jacksonville 52 241 4.6 41 0 120.5 0 0
10 Kansas City 52 233 4.5 31 0 116.5 1 0
11 Dallas 47 232 4.9 19 2 116.0 0 0
  LA Chargers 48 232 4.8 22 1 116.0 1 0
13 LA Rams 59 230 3.9 23 3 115.0 0 0
14 Tennessee 63 216 3.4 26 1 108.0 0 0
15 NY Jets 55 211 3.8 62 2 105.5 1 0
16 Cincinnati 48 209 4.4 27 1 104.5 0 0
17 New England 55 204 3.7 15 0 102.0 1 0
  Philadelphia 51 204 4.0 21 4 102.0 0 0
19 Pittsburgh 48 192 4.0 22 4 96.0 1 1
20 Oakland 50 187 3.7 13 2 93.5 0 0
21 Minnesota 50 184 3.7 15 0 92.0 1 1
22 Baltimore 56 183 3.3 16 4 91.5 3 1
23 Indianapolis 50 179 3.6 18 1 89.5 0 0
24 Buffalo 44 167 3.8 27 1 83.5 1 0
  Green Bay 42 167 4.0 16 0 83.5 1 0
26 Tampa Bay 57 155 2.7 23 1 77.5 0 0
27 NY Giants 40 149 3.7 68 1 74.5 0 0
28 Chicago 27 139 5.1 16 1 139.0 0 0
29 Detroit 33 137 4.2 21 0 68.5 0 0
30 Arizona 30 122 4.1 11 1 61.0 0 0
31 New Orleans 36 105 2.9 18 2 52.5 1 1
32 Seattle 16 64 4.0 24 0 64.0 2 1

Well look at that.  We have the top rushing offense in our division.  Its because we have a TEAM and not one or two superstars.  That's all I was trying to say.  I would love to have a RB with their talent (and age).  But I'm glad we are making smart first round picks instead and utilizing a committee approach.

I never really understood the attraction of going to games anyway.

I don't need that kind of outer stimuli to boost my enjoyment for football. The prices, the uncomfortable seats, the weather, the noise, the traffic, the long walks to the bathroom, the lesser view than my big screen tv.

Why does anyone actually go to a game? even if the team is great? ? 

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Why does anyone actually go to a game? even if the team is great? ? 

I really have to go back in the memory bank to recall an atmosphere worthy of attending.  But I recall the late season playoff run in 2005.  The environment was amazing.  The crowd was raucous, there were division opponents fans in the house but nowhere near what you see today, and they left sad.  Also, the late season run in 2012 felt magical.  There is just something about being there, the energy, etc. when things are going well.  Unfortunately those times are so few and far between most fans remember the nauseating, embarrassing losses, being trolled by opposing fans on the way out, being stuck in traffic, with a lot less money in their bank account.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really have to go back in the memory bank to recall an atmosphere worthy of attending.  But I recall the late season playoff run in 2005.  The environment was amazing.  The crowd was raucous, there were division opponents fans in the house but nowhere near what you see today, and they left sad.  Also, the late season run in 2012 felt magical.  There is just something about being there, the energy, etc. when things are going well.  Unfortunately those times are so few and far between most fans remember the nauseating, embarrassing losses, being trolled by opposing fans on the way out, being stuck in traffic, with a lot less money in their bank account.

I've been flying up from South Florida for 15 years or so now for 1-2 home games a year.    And the changes are really noticeable. In the past, some teams would invade the stadium -- Pitts, GB. Dallas, etc.  Now it seems everyone does.    It's like there is no safe game without a loud presence of opposing fans.  Between that and no shows -- the atmosphere isn't what it once was.  Not that it was ever great but now at least from the sample of stadiums I've been to -- to me its easily the worst home field experience.

Conversely, I am finding road games more fun and leaning towards doing more of that.  Redskins fans travel and its fun to run into them and invade other stadiums.  My last two excursions, Arizona and NO were great -- much nicer stadiums and fan experiences there.

As for apathy, the 106.7 guys have really hammered it -- in the past a Redskins topic would get callers like crazy -- now according to them its nowhere near the same.

I think you got a lot of moving parts to it.  Bruce-Dan are front and center.  I think Kirk lighting it up (as I thought he would) thus far in Minny and Garcon and D. Jax getting off to hot starts puts salt in the womb.

I think Steinberg captures all of it well here.

D.C. Sports Bog Perspective

Sunday was a bad, bad, bad day for the Redskins

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/09/17/sunday-was-a-bad-bad-bad-day-for-the-redskins/?utm_term=.cf847ef18520

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you got a lot of moving parts to it.  Bruce-Dan are front and center.  I think Kirk lighting it up (as I thought he would) thus far in Minny and Garcon and D. Jax getting off to hot starts puts salt in the womb

lets leave the wombs out of this but yeah, all of those things and the sheer longevity of the suckage.

The curtain has finally been pulled back for all to see, our trumpeting of consecutive sellouts has been a sham.  I think, for decades.

Another sham was the famous "wait list".

I wonder if we see 11th hour mass ticket giveaways (desperation PR stunt) to get the stands filled, if the away fans don't take over our stadium proper.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In the past, some teams would invade the stadium -- Pitts, GB. Dallas, etc.  Now it seems everyone does.   

It's bad when the other team's fans invade, but it's horrible when no one shows up at all. When 30% of the seats are empty, it means people are turning down free tickets.

Somehow, the fun of being a Skins fan, in good times or bad, has been sucked away this year. I'm not a Alex hater, and I don't blame Alex, but he's the dark sunglasses you wear to hide a black eye.  It doesn't matter matter how nice the glasses are if everyone knows you're wearing them because you got punched out by a girl you offended.  It just makes it worse.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

The curtain has finally been pulled back for all to see, our trumpeting of consecutive sellouts has been a sham.  I think, for decades.

Another sham was the famous "wait list".

I wonder if we see 11th hour mass ticket giveaways (desperation PR stunt) to get the stands filled, if the away fans don't take over our stadium proper.

Snyder must be getting desperate, I really hope the team isn't making him anything. Jersey sales way down, people not coming to the games, just clear ineptitude. He needs to sell

16 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I don't mean to quote you a second time, but I went to ESPN to do some research

Well look at that.  We have the top rushing offense in our division.  Its because we have a TEAM and not one or two superstars.  That's all I was trying to say.  I would love to have a RB with their talent (and age).  But I'm glad we are making smart first round picks instead and utilizing a committee approach.

You neglect to mention, but it's also painfully obvious that we're third in the division for ypc. Jamison Crowder helped with that, and he was the leading rushing last week...........as a WR. Sorry, but thinking our rushing attack is really better than some of the other teams you put us above, is silly. Because it's not.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You neglect to mention, but it's also painfully obvious that we're third in the division for ypc. Jamison Crowder helped with that, and he was the leading rushing last week...........as a WR. Sorry, but thinking our rushing attack is really better than some of the other teams you put us above, is silly. Because it's not.

And quite a few receiving yards came via a RB.  It balances out.  Plus this is the creative playcalling that Dallas fans would kill for, so I hardly see that as a negative.

Archived