Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Well, if I may clarify. I am always excited and re-energized at the start of the season. Every single season. I think the difference now is, it requires a much, much smaller sample size for me to go into "oh, this again?" mode then it used to.  I am much less likely to give the benefit of doubt to mediocre play during small stretches of games because I have come accustomed to it being a true reflection of the team and not an aberration. 

I think I’m in the same boat it just doesn’t really affect my enjoyment level all that much— at least not until we are officially done each year. Yeah, if we are 4-9 I don’t get excited about the week leading up to the game, etc... but to be honest that was even the case back in the day on the rare year (1988) where we weren’t really competing for the playoffs. 

Today definitely changed my perception of the season... back in the Gibbs I era laying an egg would not have done that. I would have written it off and expected better. Now when we do something like this it’s hard not to expect more of it. But my

own expectation really doesn’t affectmy enjoyment level all that much. Right now, I think we will lose Sunday (I don’t think we will get trounced). But by Friday I’ll be pretty excited for the game, hoping they prove me wrong. And I still never plan ANYTHING that conflicts with the Skins on Sunday. Life is too short. Son use that saying to express why they’ve bailed. It’s the opposite for me. 

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Well yeah Ed, the relative scarcity of games.....we only get to see our favorite team once per week, the regular season is only four months long, and the long wait from the end of one season to the start of the next......will always give the NFL a magical element.

But there are other things that are lessening the appeal of football other than the Redskins performance. Just about every play you are looking for a phantom flag being pulled out. The penalty called on Clay Matthews today hitting Kirk was beyond ridiculous.

Specific to the Redskins, though, and this might be happening league wide, but ones eyes don't lie as far as seeing how far this team has fallen from an in-person attendance perspective. How empty that place was for the OPENING home game was stunning. 

Th fanbase isn’t dying locally, it’s dead. And it’s been dead for awhile. The Colts were the reason for the mass empty seats. Not a popular team so not much of an “invasion.” Next Week there will be a lot more people in the stands because so many Packers fans will show. The Redskins fans do travel well, that’s for sure. It’s a spread-out base. But all in all I think we are just sort of a “meh” fanbase. And it isn’t JUST the losing... Bills have been one organization worse than us for the past 20 years... but they roll out in Buffalo. 

It is part of all the reasons people always give— bad stadium location, probably too big, not much winning, very little interest from new/younger fans you’ve failed to capture over the past 25 years. If we wind up being 11-4 and hosting the Eagles on the last day of the season for the East, people will show. But the Redskins are officially a “show us first” fan base now. 

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

As I've said in other threads, the Redskins are a dying brand. And its only gonna get worse as more of the geriatrics who actually saw the team win die off.

Hey... I resemble that!!  Back to the OTG and George. I have held on..and on...but my enthusiasm has waned to say the least watching the score tracker on my phone while doing something else so I can't say I TOTALLY wasted my day. I'm on a 1:00 NFL Bowling league where they roll through all the games being played on the alley TV's...thankfully the skins only appeared on the screen every 15 minutes or so

Also i think a lot of ppl don’t realize how much they’ve lost potential fans under 30. 

I’m 25. Born and raised in PG County (where the team plays) and one of the reasons I don’t go to as many games is because I barely know any Skins fans my age to go with. I have plenty of friends. ONE is a Skins fan. They all grew up here. Their parents are Skins fans but all the losing caused them to follow other teams. And it’s not just my friend group. At my school, I swear the Iggles and Dallas were just as popular as the Skins. A whole generation of fans have been lost and now, those ppl are adults and would have been potential ST holders and die hard fans. 

This franchise is on life support and it’s taken way too long for them even to admit it. 

Let the Caps win another Cup. Or the Nats to win next year, which they certainly can. Or if Ernie Grunfeld retires and the Wizards actually have a chance to be a threat. It’ll get worse. 

Doesnt seem like the Skins young fan base is growing much either. New fans are rare... let's face it many of the Skins fans are in their 30s and up and they enjoyed an era of a dominant team. I'm 29 and was 2 when the skins won their last superbowl.

Edit: Now I have a 2 year old. Skins went a whole generation of terrible football

34 minutes ago, kleese said:

The Colts were the reason for the mass empty seats. Not a popular team so not much of an “invasion.” 

I guess a comp would be 2014, when the Jags were our first home game, Skins coming off a 3-13 season and then an opening game when RG3 stunk it up at Houston. Attendance for that game (Jags had been 4-12 in 2013) was listed as 80K.  I know the Skins have probably been fudging attendance numbers, but I don't recall that particular game being nearly as empty as today's was. 

LOL

18 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m 25. Born and raised in PG County (where the team plays) and one of the reasons I don’t go to as many games is because I barely know any Skins fans my age to go with. I have plenty of friends. ONE is a Skins fan. They all grew up here. Their parents are Skins fans but all the losing caused them to follow other teams. 

My best friend from HS, a big Skins fan,  married another Skins fan.  Both of their kids are Ravens fans.  I don’t blame them...

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Yep.  A lot of people are throwing out the "trap game" idea, and I am actually beside myself over that. A trap game? Really? Game 2 of the season? The home opener.....after playing an awful team in the Cardinals?

This team wasn't 5-0 going into this game. They hadn't just played a short week.  They didn't just blow out a division rival in a prime time game.  How in the world could this game have been a trap game?

They simply got their butts kicked up and down the field.

I think there’s some truth to why it was being considered a trap game. 

The team was probably believing their hype after last weekend and thinking it was because they’re good and not because the cardinals are bad (we learned today that it actually was more due to Arizona being awful)

also, the players were probably reading too much of the headlines about how Andrew Luck might be rusty to start the season. Maybe they felt like they could just do what they did last weekend and it would be enough to beat a rusty Andrew Luck and that the defense would be able to easily handle a battered colts o line (and from what i read on the prediction thread, most of our fans seemed to think all of this as well). 

13 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I guess a comp would be 2014, when the Jags were our first home game, Skins coming off a 3-13 season and then an opening game when RG3 stunk it up at Houston. Attendance for that game (Jags had been 4-12 in 2013) was listed as 80K.  I know the Skins have probably been fudging attendance numbers, but I don't recall that particular game being nearly as empty as today's was. 

LOL

Looks even worse on video! 

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Jags, Lions, and Cardinals have moved from cellar territory within the last 10 years. 

We're in some funky spot between the Bills and Browns and those teams in the last 25 years. 

We're way closer to Bill's and browns.  We are never a threat, all our playoff qualifying seasons have come from crazy late season runs, no back to back playoffs.  2 playoff wins since 91.  This franchise is a joke.  

Just now, skinsfan1523 said:

We're way closer to Bill's and browns.  We are never a threat, all our playoff qualifying seasons have come from crazy late season runs, no back to back playoffs.  2 playoff wins since 91.  This franchise is a joke.  

The only reason why I didnt put us with them is because we never have those 2-14 to 4 -12 seasons... Just those god awful 5-11 to 7-9 seasons year after year it seems like. 

I think I posted in a thread a few months ago that in Snyder's 19 seasons of ownership, the Skins are tied for sixth least number of wins during that stretch.

And our W-L in the six seasons prior to Dan sucked too, so if you take the past 25 seasons (1993-2017) into account, we are probably bottom five. 

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The only reason why I didnt put us with them is because we never have those 2-14 to 4 -12 seasons... Just those god awful 5-11 to 7-9 seasons year after year it seems like. 

It doesn't seem like it, it is that.  Just year after year of mediocrity.  Yeah those late season runs were fun, but it never extends to the next year, and just once I'd like to see this team be a threat, a team that is good the whole year, but it seems it will never happen.  I missed this team winning a super bowl by about 3 months and I'm 26, we haven't even sniffed one since than.  

18 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think there’s some truth to why it was being considered a trap game. 

The team was probably believing their hype after last weekend and thinking it was because they’re good and not because the cardinals are bad (we learned today that it actually was more due to Arizona being awful)

also, the players were probably reading too much of the headlines about how Andrew Luck might be rusty to start the season. Maybe they felt like they could just do what they did last weekend and it would be enough to beat a rusty Andrew Luck and that the defense would be able to easily handle a battered colts o line (and from what i read on the prediction thread, most of our fans seemed to think all of this as well). 

Well then our players are morons

Kirk Cousins brings Minny back from the grave and throws for 35/48 4TDs and only 1 int to give Minny a chance. I cant believe we didnt pay that man, Hes throwing 35 TDs this year I bet. 

Literally get handed two franchise quarterbacks in the same draft and **** it up somehow. Who knows what RG3 would have been like without that first year injury in the playoffs. That was totally on the team for making your franchise QB you just paid 92 first round picks for play on that garbage field injured...

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

And almost all our fans as well, myself included ?? almost everyone on here was predicting a blowout win all week. We are stupid. 

Well yes fans are dumb if they haven't realized the NFL is a week-to-week league and mediocrity pretty much reigns everywhere outside of New England (and they lost today, albeit to a solid team on the rosd).

But maybe the low turnout today is a testament to a fanbase not willing yet to shell out money simply off one game in Arizona.

Boy, this is a lot of deep thinking and hate for our 1-1 team.  Meanwhile, the giants and cowboys are looking very mediocre and the super bowl champion eagles just lost.

I know we are sick and tired of starting over but we have to give them a chance....again.  The loss today is because the colts balled the **** out on us.  Wrecked the line, doc couldn't pull in a tough ball in the end zone, and Reed had a ball punched out late.  That doesn't mean our line sucks, doesn't mean doc can't haul one in, and it doesn't mean reed will fumble everything.  We've seen our o line dominate, we've seen docs ability (sometimes) and reed is arguably our best player.  

Its week 2.  We have to believe its growing pains in a new season.  And it is.  It's much less likely that its because Dan Snyder is evil or Jay Grudens an idiot or our players are counting empty seats and decide they dont care anymore, I mean what the hell? These guys are trying.  

It's as if we figure our team would be undefeated.  We got outplayed and took a loss.  Remember last year, we lost to some team, can't remember, and we were all "oh we played hard."  The next week, we WON against the 49ers, who sucked at the time, and this board blew up with hatred like we lost because we didnt stomp the 49ers hard enough.  

Your favorite football team is going to lose games.  Sometimes like this.  This one looked like out schemed.  And Jay Gruden said it out loud, so save me on the Jay deflecting blame bull****.  He needs to get his team prepared for the stunts they faced today and he knows it. Maybe it's a little hard for him to do that with his new QB, maybe it will take a few weeks.  Professional football is complicated.  

1-1.  Not scared of the packers.  We have the players and scheme to win any game against anyone, it just has to click.  We need to find more ways to click.  Can't be one dimensional.  I believe they will work on that to their best ability.  In the meantime, it's a 1-1 team that looked pretty good last week so.... relax lol

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Right now, I think we will lose Sunday (I don’t think we will get trounced). But by Friday I’ll be pretty excited for the game, hoping they prove me wrong. And I still never plan ANYTHING that conflicts with the Skins on Sunday.

Same.  If the team somehow manages to upset the Packers on Sunday I can almost guarantee everyone will view the Colts game as the aberration lol. 

Probably should not loose more than 2 games at home all season and expect to make the playoffs 

Depressing that the first home loss came in the week 2 home opener 

However this shouldn't be a reason to throw in the towel yet, but if they drop the next 2 games to go into the bye at 1-3 oh my the wheels will definitely start coming off 

1 minute ago, c slag said:

but if they drop the next 2 games to go into the bye at 1-3 oh my the wheels will definitely start coming off 

Please, inform me of how a 1-1 team goes into the bye week 1-3, with only ONE game before the bye week. That would be something I’ve never seen before. Maybe you should take a quick look at our schedule :P 

Archived