Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

I personally enjoy a bit of cartoonishly racist ass hole in my "is America racist" threads. Im just pissed its an Australian dude personally.  

Like, make your OWN thread and stop stealing OURS and ruining it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It seems to me the idea that people of color are treated unfairly on a systemic level is being accepted by more white people now than it ever has.

i don’t know if that means the day to day life experience is better or worse that it was before 2016, but I think the first step to it getting better overall is for more white people to realize there’s a problem worth discussing. 

signed

guy that just figured it out himself 

(seriously in my small world the black lives matter movement is gaining more supporters and followers over time)

((yes it sucks it takes yet another person dying unnecessarily to move the needle))

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

It's worse now from the perspective that some now feel freer to act, encouraged to act, and emboldened. It has the potential to get better afterwards. My hope has always been that this is a last circling of the wagons and surge by a breed that is dying out. In fact, the optimist in me hopes that's what MAGA is which is why symbols like the Confederate Flag are so dear to them. The realist understands that problems don't go away and hate is both nature and nurture. Humans are pack animals and so we are designed to think about protecting our own and attacking others. The nurture part comes in how we define others and there's where many have done a really crappy job. Hate is being taught to the young. It is being sewn into their worldview in subtle and direct ways. That's why this notion of "anti-racist" appeals to me though I haven't read the book.  

You don't fix a drip in the ceiling by ignoring it. You don't fight fire by turning away from it. Real problems need to be actively wrestled with, repaired, worked at. And I do think, I do hope, we're in pretty good shape. Yes, I believe there is systemic racism. Yes, I believe there is rot in the foundation, but I also believe that the house is sound and most of the wood is good. This isn't a tear down job. We don't have to start from scratch. We do though have to do a lot of work. Work that many of us thought had been further along than it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aunt Jemima brand to change name, remove image that Quaker says is 'based on a racial stereotype'

The Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mix will get a new name and image, Quaker Oats announced Wednesday, saying the company recognizes that "Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype."

The 130-year-old brand features a Black woman named Aunt Jemima, who was originally dressed as a minstrel character.

The picture has changed over time, and in recent years Quaker removed the “mammy” kerchief from the character to blunt growing criticism that the brand perpetuated a racist stereotype that dated to the days of slavery. But Quaker, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, said removing the image and name is part of an effort by the company “to make progress toward racial equality.”

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a press release. “As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers’ expectations."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Wait, you're telling me that an established brand isn't afraid to change with the times? Interesting. 

They got destroyed on Twitter and had no choice, it wasn't like they were proactive.

I've always been familiar with the brand but I never knew the story behind it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It was bad even after Obama got elected, or do people forget the birther movement, "go back to Kenya" chants, and all that other racist garbage?

The question was "Is racism worse," Implying that it was most definitely present (and bad) before.

21 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I wonder how well it burns?

Wasn't there a town (centuries ago) that was destroyed by syrup/molasses? :ols: I swear I remember a story about that as a kid in one of those "Weird History" books.

Best not to give anyone any ideas 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The question was "Is racism worse," Implying that it was most definitely present (and bad) before.

Wasn't there a town (centuries ago) that was destroyed by syrup/molasses? :ols: I swear I remember a story about that as a kid in one of those "Weird History" books.

Best not to give anyone any ideas 😉

Why the Great Molasses Flood Was So Deadly

It was like a perfect—if bizarre, terrifying and very sticky—storm.

Around lunchtime on the afternoon of January 15, 1919, a giant tank of molasses burst open in Boston’s North End. More than two million gallons of thick liquid poured out like a tsunami wave, reaching speeds of up to 35 miles per hour. The molasses flooded streets, crushed buildings and trapped horses in an event that ultimately killed 21 people and injured 150 more. The smell of molasses lingered for decades.

Click on the link for more

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skinned Aussie said:

I may be a racist but I treat people as they treat me.  If someone is racist towards me, they get racism returned to them in spades.

ALL lives matter!

Racism is racism. No matter where it originates,or who it's directed at,it is what it is. And THAT,isn't tolerated here. Period.  Hopefully you learn and change down the road. It won't be here though. 

Let's move along now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

My firm just declared Friday a holiday for Juneteenth. We are often on the forefront of these issues, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of companies adding Juneteenth as a holiday and possibly eliminating Columbus Day.  If i had to pick, I’d much rather have a day off in June than October and, obviously, celebrate the end of slavery over Columbus. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My firm just declared Friday a holiday for Juneteenth. We are often on the forefront of these issues, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of companies adding Juneteenth as a holiday and possibly eliminating Columbus Day.  If i had to pick, I’d much rather have a day off in June than October and, obviously, celebrate the end of slavery over Columbus. 

Will all the cities named Columbus change their names?  If were are going to eliminate all things that are perceived to offensive or ties to racist past; then sport teams names, have to be part of that.

As for the original question; it's more visable now but it's always been there. With the racist in chief getting elected; that made the racists more comfortable in no longer hiding their views.

Will it get better? Maybe? Thing is, in 20 years; whites will be a majority- minority race.  While whites will still be in the majority; there will be more non-whites than whites.  I don't think the racists still around then, will take that kindly.

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Will all the cities named Columbus change their names?  If were are going to eliminate all things that are perceived to offensive or ties to racist past; then sport teams names, have to be part of that.

As for the original question; it's more visable now but it's always been there. With the racist in chief getting elected; that made the racists more comfortable in no longer hiding their views.

Will it get better? Maybe? Thing is, in 20 years; whites will be a majority- minority race.  While whites will still be in the majority; there will be more non-whites than whites.  I don't think the racists still around then, will take that kindly.

I think eliminating Columbus Day from being one of like 12 federal holidays is not that big of a deal.  Like, there are 1000 other people or groups we could honor instead.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

It was bad even after Obama got elected, or do people forget the birther movement, "go back to Kenya" chants, and all that other racist garbage?

Not directed at you - just using your comment as a launching point - 

It was bad before Obama was elected. It was just better hidden. It's always been there. The difference is the level of entitlement people had. Just look at all the used to be closet bigots blaming Obama for "bringing back racism." Sorry it was never gone, just not as open. 

I am not saying we never made any strides. You can point to some things and say yes we made improvements. But as soon as a black man became president and dared to give POC the belief they could finally participate in the system as equals, well that was just too much for the bigots in the basement. So here they come filled with the belief that they are the victim. That they are the ones being harmed. It is so backwards it's mind boggling. 

48 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a friend who works for Target and they have announced that Juneteenth is now an official holiday for them. So it does appear some companies are moving this way. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They announced it today for us too 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Many companies don't even observe MLK day as a paid holiday.  I've never had MLK off paid and I've worked for large banks and lending institutions.

A lot of places in Virginia get the day off. BUT, it's referred to as Lee-Jackson-King (Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson) day. And it took a while for them to add MLK to the name but it was always a holiday. 

• Sad 2