Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

It's not actually a white power symbol. It was made up as a way to troll the left and their propensity to try to find racism in everything. And it seems to be working. An actual medical Dr thought that former Kavanaugh aid was a white nationalist flashing the symbol, tweeted it and got retweeted 17,000 times.

This article explains it. 

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/5/17821946/white-power-hand-signal-brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-hearing-zina-bash-4chan

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grego said:

It's not actually a white power symbol. It was made up as a way to troll the left and their propensity to try to find racism in everything. And it seems to be working. An actual medical Dr thought that former Kavanaugh aid was a white nationalist flashing the symbol, tweeted it and got retweeted 17,000 times.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/5/17821946/white-power-hand-signal-brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-hearing-zina-bash-4chan

People make up fake white power symbol to troll the left and claim it's a way to out their propensity to try to find racism in everything. 

That shows absolutely nothing about the left. Again, if someone does it as a way to troll, they are likely racist. Do you know people that pretend to be a racist? I don't.  

I don't take it as a real white power sign at this point, but like I said, I don't know anyone that pretends to be a racist in order to troll.  

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, grego said:

I actually really like this, force us to slow the F down and really ask if we're really offended or trying to be.  We look so weak when we try to be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

People make up fake white power symbol to troll the left and claim it's a way to out their propensity to try to find racism in everything. 

That shows absolutely nothing about the left. Again, if someone does it as a way to troll, they are likely racist. Do you know people that pretend to be a racist? I don't.  

I don't take it as a real white power sign at this point, but like I said, I don't know anyone that pretends to be a racist in order to troll.  

i understand what youre saying, but i think youre reading too much into it in a way. i can't get into an individuals head in terms of every motivation that may drive them to do something, but when you say someone is pretending to be racist its probably missing the mark because the symbol isn't actually a white power symbol, its a troll. people doing that undoubtedly know this, so i would say their motivation is that they are ****ing with people, not that they must be racist because they are ****ing with people by doing it. 

in other words, i wouldnt underestimate the joy people get out of getting a predictable reaction out of someone which only reinforces their belief that those people are too sensitive.  

theres a meme that mocks people finding racism in everything whereby people flash fake white power symbols to get a reaction and some still think the real motivation isn't mocking, its racism. thats actually kinda funny. 

• Like 1

Woman fabricated story about being victim of Trump-related hate crime, police say

BALDWIN, N.Y. —

A woman has been taken into custody after police say she fabricated a story about a Trump-related hate crime on New York's Long Island.

On Friday, Adwoa Lewis, 19, gave detectives a written statement stating she was driving home on Sept. 2 when four teenagers confronted her, police said.

Lewis alleged the teens yelled “Trump 2016!” and said she didn’t belong here.

She further claimed she parked her car in front of her house, and when she woke up, she found a slashed tire and a note on her car that stated, “Go home,” according to police.

An investigation into the alleged incident revealed Lewis had fabricated the story and no such altercation took place.

Police said Lewis later admitted she wrote the note and placed it on her car.

She was taken into custody and faces charges of making a false punishable written statement.

• Haha 1

Houston Police: Teen's story about being abducted by white supremacists wasn't true

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Houston police say there is no evidence to support the claims made by a teenager that white supremacists abducted him, injured him and threatened him.

We first brought you this story last month when 13-year-old Zavion Parker claimed he was grabbed by an adult and four young men after stepping off his school bus.

Zavion alleges he was robbed and beaten, all because of his race. He also said he was held at a property at gunpoint until he was able to escape.

Michelle Lee, the teen's mother, told Eyewitness News her son managed to escape the gun-wielding kidnappers.

"The reason why they got him was because they said he was black. 'You deserve to die.' Exactly his words," Lee told ABC13 in May. "Saying the dad had, like, a white muscle shirt on, and you could see it, was right here big as day. 'I hate black people.'"

But after a thorough investigation, the Houston Police Department now says the events as described did not occur, that the property Parker described had nothing to do with any crime.

Investigators have met with both the child's mother and community activists. They told them their findings.

We reached Lee on the phone on Monday, but she did not want to comment.

HPD says they will not be filing charges against anyone involved in what was essentially a false report.

On Eyewitness News at 6 p.m., you'll hear from a longtime resident of the street where Parker said he was abducted and why he never believed the story.

The OK sign and Pepe the frog may not be racist, whatever.

What is true is that these dumbass nerds from the internet who post nothing but racist, troll garbage use these in the same way normal people use ordinary signs to be nice to each other.  It’s like there secret, racist, “**** you libtard” handshake.

These guys are dicks for the sake of being dicks and they think it’s cool.

Somewhere along the line, being a nerdy computer troll has become cool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JK said:

Year in Review: 17 campus hate crimes that turned out to be hoaxes in 2017

What is going on with all the racism hoaxes?

Just an FYI, The College Fix is a hard right wing website.

And just to show that the validity of this article is nonsense, the UMD story was true and they found the person who did it:

https://umpdnews.umd.edu/node/928

The College Fix is a nonsense site and you should do a better job at vetting your sources.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

50 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Just an FYI, The College Fix is a hard right wing website.

And just to show that the validity of this article is nonsense, the UMD story was true and they found the person who did it:

https://umpdnews.umd.edu/node/928

The College Fix is a nonsense site and you should do a better job at vetting your sources.

I would rip a website if they printed something, it turned out to wrong, and they didn't update the story to correct it. 

It doesn't look like the college fix did this, but I'm not sure they should. 

The UMD article update is vague - 

"UMPD has now referred a person of interest to campus officials for disciplinary review. Criminal charges will be applied should additional evidence meet the threshold for state or federal prosecution.'

I'd be interested to know more about this case. What happened with the person of interest? Is there an update? 

Just now, grego said:

I would rip a website if they printed something, it turned out to wrong, and they didn't update the story to correct it. 

It doesn't look like the college fix did this, but I'm not sure they should. 

The UMD article update is vague - 

"UMPD has now referred a person of interest to campus officials for disciplinary review. Criminal charges will be applied should additional evidence meet the threshold for state or federal prosecution.'

I'd be interested to know more about this case. What happened with the person of interest? Is there an update? 

Someone was punished for it, but most schools aren’t allowed to make that information publicaly available due to federal laws. There was an article in the UMD student paper asking what happened as well.

I am not sure if you actually read the passage on their site, but this is what they said about the incident.

Beware the hoax: Noose sighted at University of Maryland frat

A noose was allegedly discovered hanging in the kitchen of a University of Maryland fraternity in early May. In an email to The College Fix, the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life Director Matt Supple stated that “We all bear responsibility to confront bias/hate when we see it. Sadly, this is one more example of hatred and prejudice that continue to poison our society. We must stand together in defiance of this act. We need to ensure people who would perpetrate this type of hate know they do not belong and are not welcome in our chapters, in our community, at the University of Maryland, or in our society.” Except photos of the noose on either social media or news sites never arose.

Their evidence that it was a hoax is that there was no social media images. So no, that article is not valid.

23 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Their evidence that it was a hoax is that there was no social media images. So no, that article is not valid.

Well, in their defense, if something happened on a college campus, and there's not 47 pictures of it on Facebook, I'd consider that pretty good evidence that it didn't happen, too. 

I refer back to my post on page 2 as to much--certainly not all-- of what has transpired since.

Objective validity or accuracy of a claim/cited source made on any topic should be a goal. False claims can work against progress in any cause. They are never a good thing in any matter. I have little use for false claims made in the service of any cause, for any reason.

That said, I think it remains interesting and informative to consider/explore the "why" of some folks posting much more content on the "dangers/problems" of "exaggerating" racism in our society than they do on fulsome acknowledgement of its historical permeation of said society and the degree to which it is still an enormous social issue (if they indeed do think it is), including being a matter of life and death for so many people. 

When I read ten sentences of positions/views (not actual facts) from a poster that seem to dismiss, deflect, negate, or minimize charges of racist/racism  for every one sentence from the same poster that says "yeah, i acknowledge that's racist/racism" and this emphasis is consistent over time, it seems to suggest that their major issue is with racism being an overplayed matter---just as a few openly state, occasionally--- as opposed to "the actual level of racism that exists"  being the major issue. What they spend the most time and energy on would seem their priority, their major concern. 

Also, just as a qualifier (usually a futile exercise :P) from that earlier post (referring to the "dismissing" type posts):

much of the time there is at least some intellectual merit in the points that get offered for consideration by such voices

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

... the UMD story was true and they found the person who did it:

Let's say you are correct, then the other 16 cases are correct and were hoaxes.  And the other two police arrests were also racism hoaxes, 17-1.

Edited by JK

26 minutes ago, JK said:

Let's say you are correct, then the other 16 cases are correct and were hoaxes.

Do you know what the definition of "hoax" is? Because the UMD case wasn't because it was verified.

The Bowling Green incident wasn't a hoax, as much as a person was confused by what they saw.

And going forward, the ADL found a bunch more than 17 16 15 incidents of hate speech in 2017 on college campuses.

https://www.adl.org/news/press-releases/adl-finds-alarming-increase-in-white-supremacist-propaganda-on-college-campuses