Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Imho, the cartoonist got stuff wrong...artistic liberty, I guess. 

The overall message was wrong. Serena's had losses before, plenty of em. Being a crybaby (as depicted by the pacifier) is not her style. 

She was more than correct in the "sexist" argument. 

Nick Kyrgios was given a "pep talk" by an umpire in this very same tournament, who came down from the chair AND PUT AN ARM AROUND HIM...and he's the biggest crybaby on the tour...this is well-known by every fan or follower. 

Edit to add: Kyrgios is Australian, btw.

I'll buy the sexist angle of the whole thing. 

Here's the whole Kyrgios cartoon BTW

0f48faa75817c0c21225fc2dc0bc016f

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Imho, the cartoonist got stuff wrong...artistic liberty, I guess. 

The overall message was wrong. Serena's had losses before, plenty of em. Being a crybaby (as depicted by the pacifier) is not her style. 

She was more than correct in the "sexist" argument. 

Nick Kyrgios was given a "pep talk" by an umpire in this very same tournament, who came down from the chair AND PUT AN ARM AROUND HIM...and he's the biggest crybaby on the tour...this is well-known by every fan or follower. 

Edit to add: Kyrgios is Australian, btw.

Was it two different umpires reacting differently or the same umpire reacting differently?

Just now, justice98 said:

Well, I said in this scenario, I didnt say never.  However, it's a fine line to walk.  Mainly because the racist, negative stereotype has been established.  If black women werent saddled with the angry black woman stereotype, it wouldnt be a sensitive issue. 

That's what happens with racism.  There's a lot of things you cant do because racist folks made it a thing and used it against people to marginalize and insult them for so long. 

Which I agree. I don't think Serena is beyond reproach in this whole incident. She blew up, lost her cool. Like MacEnroe probably did hundreds of times in his career. 

• Like 1

If i have to force myself to be mad, I'm not mad. I went to go see BlacKKKlansman other day and saw 1960s special on DC last might, stuff like that helps me keep stuff like a cartoon in context.  If i go down the path of the white characters in those cartoons having thin lips like i was hoping not to see,  i don't feel like I'm helping the convo.  Thats a whole other country, we have our own problems here to deal with on this race issue.

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

Which I agree. I don't think Serena is beyond reproach in this whole incident. She blew up, lost her cool. Like MacEnroe probably did hundreds of times in his career. 

The thing I want to see is how this part of Serena's career will be remembered.  Because I don't inherently think it's sexist, because McEnroe got penalized and criticized in real time when he would melt down in tournaments.  

What will need to be observed is if people hold it against Serena as years go by.  Because McEnroe's outbursts back in the day are part of his charm now.  

Something tells me, that being black and female will not afford Serena the same luxury.

• Like 1

@skinsmarydu i need help, how was the ref in Serena's match she went off sexist?  Her opponent was female.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The thing I want to see is how this part of Serena's career will be remembered.  Because I don't inherently think it's sexist, because McEnroe got penalized and criticized in real time when he would melt down in tournaments.  

What will need to be observed is if people hold it against Serena as years go by.  Because McEnroe's outbursts back in the day are part of his charm now.  

Something tells me, that being black and female will not afford Serena the same luxury.

I mean she's the GOAT in regards to women's tennis, imagine she'll be remembered as a ferocious competitor that went a little too far sometimes, this being the most notable.  It in her best interests never to do that again

4 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Meh. See, that’s unhelpful.

That's your perspective. My perspective (and I like you, btw) is reading someone who prefaced this by saying they basically are very intuitive when it comes to things that are racist, before coming off not very intuitive, this on top of you and I getting into a conversation not that long ago, where you deemed this...

thats-racist.gif

Racist. So I found it strange that you seemed  conflicted about something so blatantly racist, that ties together several  racial stereotypes (regarding black women and their bodies) and flat out old timey racist imagery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's your perspective. My perspective (and I like you, btw) is reading someone who prefaced this by saying they basically are very intuitive when it comes to things that are racist, before coming off not very intuitive, this on top of you and I getting into a conversation not that long ago, where you deemed this...

Fair enough. I just don't see it in this one. I mean, I could see all that stuff (the body shape, the lips, the hair, the angriness) but it felt like a stretch. 

The alternative was to draw her as a sleek, powerful athlete. 

38 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Racist. So I found it strange that you seemed  conflicted about something so blatantly racist, that ties together several  racial stereotypes (regarding black women and their bodies) and flat out old timey racist imagery. 

Interesting. Because I don't think that's racist at all. funny yes. maybe inappropriate. But if I posted it, I posted it. Was I being serious?

13 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Fair enough. I just don't see it in this one. I mean, I could see all that stuff (the body shape, the lips, the hair, the angriness) but it felt like a stretch. 

The alternative was to draw her as a sleek, powerful athlete. 

Interesting. Because I don't think that's racist at all. funny yes. maybe inappropriate. But if I posted it, I posted it. Was I being serious?

http://es.redskins.com/topic/140045-random-thought-thread/?page=5973&tab=comments#comment-11200340

If you weren't serious, you had me thoroughly convinced

35 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

For a second I was like, “oh my God!” and then I realized that by “they”, you meant caricatures.

In college during a party a girl was sitting on the stairs looking sad. I asked, “why do you look so dejected?” 

She got pissed and stormed off. Later that night I passed her and a friend, she points at me, “He called me a reject.”

26 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not to split hairs..but McEnroe was penalized in real time during his meltdowns? We sure about that?

I've read he was only given a point penalty one time in his career.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

Is he the reason there are now very specific rules about penalties?

Serena is right.  Men get away with more.  

El’s racist meter is all kinds of wonky. 

On a side note dynamite memory Sin. 

59 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

In college during a party a girl was sitting on the stairs looking sad. I asked, “why do you look so dejected?” 

She got pissed and stormed off. Later that night I passed her and a friend, she points at me, “He called me a reject.”

Some girl at a party got mad at me for calling her Persian when she told me she was Afghani. I told her I’ll **** her regardless. I don’t understand why she was so upset. 

• Haha 1

it looks like the cartoonist/artist draws caricatures as part of his political cartoons (like any political cartoon i think ive ever seen, actually). and he draws white people with bigger- than- what- they- really- are lips, which is what a caricature is- exaggerated features. 

what should caricature of serena williams acting angry and 'like a baby', in the cartoonists opinion, look like?

17 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not to split hairs..but McEnroe was penalized in real time during his meltdowns? We sure about that?

I've read he was only given a point penalty one time in his career.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

That doesn't really give the details.  He also got a warning, point, and game penalty at the US Open in '87. Basically every time he went off on somebody he got dinged.  

I mean, he got kicked out of a tournament, that trumps a mere point penalty anyway.

It seems like this is going beyond trolling now. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coast-guard-member-flashes-white-power-hand-signal-tv-n909856

A member of a U.S. Coast Guard team responding to Tropical Storm Florence in South Carolina appeared to flash a white power hand gesture in the background as a captain was being interviewed Friday by MSNBC.

The man has since been removed from the Florence response operations and the incident is under investigation, said Coast Guard Lt. J.B. Zorn.

Whatever that symbol means, it doesn't reflect the Coast Guard and our core values," Zorn said. "It won't be tolerated."

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I think it is trolling. People are looking at the reactions to things like the viral Mexican Jewish lady at the Kavanaugh hearings and taking advantage, trying to trigger the left. 

2 hours ago, grego said:

I think it is trolling. People are looking at the reactions to things like the viral Mexican Jewish lady at the Kavanaugh hearings and taking advantage, trying to trigger the left. 

As someone else already pointed out, we do have a white nationalist writing policy in the White House who was at one point Jewish. 

How many people have to do it before it’s more than trolling? I don’t know the answer but for one to troll using something relating to white power ya might be a bit racist...and a ****ing loser.