Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

‘Can’t Stand to See a Black Man In Their Waters’: Florida Surfer’s Board Nailed to Tree ‘Like a Lynching’ In Alleged Brazen Act of Racist Vandalism; Culprits Not Yet Found

A Black surfer shredded his local surfing community in Jupiter, Florida, after he claimed he was harassed by a group of white surfers who nailed his surfboard to a tree.

The Instagram page @black.surfers posted about the incident and included images of the surfboard pinned to a palm tree.

The page wrote of Andrew Mills, the surfer who was harassed, stating that he was subjected to a racially-motivated act of vandalism and a “symbolic lynching of his board.”

Mills spoke with The Daily Beast and said it all started when he went to Jupiter Beach to surf. As he was out on the water, another surfer from an all-white group rushed into him and seemed to purposely flip Mills’ board.

“The message was just to let me know, ‘You can’t come around here and mess with us,’” The 41-year-old father of two told The Daily Beast. “They were trying to throw me out of the water, pushing me around. I know they feel a certain way about me because I’m Black.”

Mills told the outlet they crowded him, told him he wasn’t welcome, and then accused him of being another Black surfer they encountered on another beach. After a brief discussion with Mills on the beach when they tried to talk to him about the hostility, Mills said he just wanted to leave the animosity behind and go back to surfing. That’s when someone stole his surfboard from the back of his truck and nailed it to a tree.

“This is how real the racism and hate is in Jupiter, Florida. They can’t stand to see a Black man in their waters. I was told ‘I’m not welcome,'” Mills said. “Stole my board when I turned my back and they did this. Said it was a message. They nailed it to the tree like a lynching.”

Mills said he didn’t retrieve the board until he had filed a police report but stayed at the beach afterward to show he couldn’t be scared off. He also said some beachgoers approached him to apologize.

Click on the link for the full article

Revealed: US pro-birth conference’s links to far-right eugenicists

A high-end hotel in the liberal Texan enclave of Austin is playing host to a conference whose theme is boosting global birth rates, but which will in fact feature racist and eugenicist internet personalities and far-right media figures.

The Natal conference – whose website warns that “by the end of the century, nearly every country on earth will have a shrinking population, and economic systems dependent on reliable growth will collapse” – is scheduled to be held on 1 December at the Line Hotel.

Natal’s website claim the conference has “has no political or ideological goal other than a world in which our children can have grandchildren”, but the Guardian can reveal its organizer Kevin Dolan has been promoting the event on the far-right podcast circuit, and has explicitly linked the conference’s “pro-natalist” orientation to eugenics.

Dolan was at one time a social media influencer connected to the far-right Mormon “Deznat” or “Deseret nationalist” subculture and has himself linked the conference’s theme with eugenics in interviews.

On 13 June, Dolan was a guest on the Jolly Heretic podcast, hosted by Edward Dutton, an Englishman who left an academic position in Finland after his university found that a work he co-authored with the self-described “scientific racist” Richard Lynn plagiarized a student’s dissertation. Dutton once served as editor of the eugenicist journal Mankind Quarterly and is listed as a Natal speaker.

In his conversation with Dutton, Dolan said: “I think that the pro-natalist and the eugenic positions are very much not in opposition, they’re very much aligned.”

• 3 weeks later...

TROY CARTER TO WENNER: "YOUR VIEWS... ARE CANCEROUS SEEDS"

HITS has obtained an email from Rock & Roll Hall of Fame board member and Venice Music boss Troy Carter to disgraced Rock Hall co-founder Jann Wenner, whom the board voted to remove on 9/16. Carter's response to Wenner—who told The New York Times he didn't consider Black or female artists "articulate" enough for his interview book—is both thoughtful and forceful. We include it here in its entirety.

Dear Jann,

I appreciate your reaching out to the board to clarify your remarks and offer an apology. I have listened to the audio of your New York Times interview, and, to be frank, it doesn't appear that you were misquoted or misunderstood. The statements you made were quite clear.

It's mind-blowing to hear you imply that women and Black artists lack the intellectual articulation to be philosophers of rock, considering the significant contributions they have made, not only in terms of creative output but also in articulating the cultural, political and social aspects of their work. Artists like Nina Simone and Billie Holiday used their music to tackle pressing issues of civil rights and social injustice. They spoke eloquently about the purpose behind their music. Robert Johnson, Little Richard and Chuck Berry laid much of the groundwork for what rock and roll would become, both musically and conceptually.

Women have also played an indispensable role in the evolution of rock and roll and its sub-genres. Take, for example, Patti Smith and Tracy Chapman’s intellectual poetry or Joni Mitchell's introspective lyrics, which have influenced countless musicians across gender lines. They, along with many other women, have certainly delved deeply into the philosophy of music and life through their work and interviews.

Your words run the risk of undermining the very institution you helped build by propagating a narrative that isn't just narrow but exclusionary. These artists and many others like them have enriched our culture and broadened our understanding of what rock and roll can be. They were philosophers in their own right who gave voice to experiences and ideas that might otherwise have been ignored. Your racist and sexist views on “mastery” are cancerous seeds that this organization cannot support.

One of the beautiful things about music is that it transcends borders, genders and races. It brings people together—qualities that should be reflected at all levels of the Hall of Fame. You have every right to your opinion, whether or not I agree. But as a member of one of the most important music institutions in the world, your opinion is hurtful to all of the women and Black artists who hold the RRHF in high regard. While you have a storied history in the music industry, that story also includes a long history of racial bias and bigotry.

We can't change what was said, but we can learn from it and take steps to ensure that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an institution that truly honors the breadth and depth of contributions to music. I’ve included a few links to interviews so you can educate yourself on artistic articulation. Nina and Joni would run circles around you on their worst day. It’s always difficult when a board removes a founder, but in this case, it’s easy. Kick rocks, buddy.

Regards,

Troy Carter

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A Black student was suspended for his hairstyle. Now his family is suing Texas officials

The family of a Black high school student in Texas who was suspended over his dreadlocks filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Saturday against the state’s governor and attorney general, alleging they failed to enforce a new law outlawing discrimination based on hairstyles.

Darryl George, 17, a junior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, has been serving an in-school suspension since Aug. 31. Officials with the Houston-area school say his dreadlocks fall below his eyebrows and ear lobes and violate the district’s dress code.

George’s mother, Darresha George, and the family’s attorney deny the teenager’s hairstyle violates the dress code, saying his hair is neatly tied in twisted dreadlocks on top of his head.

Darryl George’s supporters allege the ongoing suspension by the Barbers Hill Independent School District violates the state’s CROWN Act, which took effect Sept. 1.

The lawsuit also alleges that Gov. Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton, in their official duties, have failed to protect George’s constitutional rights against discrimination and against violations of his freedom of speech and expression. George “should be permitted to wear his hair in the manner in which he wears it ... because the so-called neutral grooming policy has no close association with learning or safety and when applied, disproportionately impacts Black males,” Allie Booker, the family’s attorney, wrote in the lawsuit.

Spokespeople for Abbott and Paxton, both Republicans, did not immediately return emails seeking comment Saturday.

The lawsuit seeks a temporary restraining order to stop George’s in-school suspension while the case is in court.

“Time to bring the fight to Barbers Hill ISD. We’re going to drop the hammer of accountability in the face of racism,” Candice Matthews, national minister of politics for the New Black Panther Nation and a spokesperson for George’s family, said in a statement Saturday.

• 2 months later...

NJ man who went viral for racist rant sentenced to 8 years in prison

A New Jersey man whose racist rant went viral back in 2021 was sentenced to eight years in prison after pleading guilty earlier this year to harassing and using racial slurs against his neighbors.

Edward C. Matthews, 47, of Mount Laurel, was sentenced on Friday. He had pleaded guilty in October to four counts of bias intimidation as well as possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute.

An investigation into Matthews started on July 2, 2021, after prosecutors said a resident went to the Mount Laurel Police Department to file a harassment complaint against him.

A short time later, officers responded to a residential neighborhood for a report of a man needing to be removed from the area. Upon arrival, officers found Matthews using racial slurs while engaging in a verbal altercation with four residents, according to prosecutors.

• 1 month later...

Alabama Republican: ‘Everyone has some type of racist in them’

An Alabama congressman said that he believes everyone “has some type of racist in them” during a debate in the state’s 1st Congressional District on Wednesday night.

The debate moderator asked Reps. Jerry Carl (R-Ala.) and Barry Moore (R-Ala.) if they agreed with GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley saying the U.S. has “never been a racist country” earlier this month. The two Alabama Republicans are vying to be the GOP nominee for Alabama’s 1st Congressional District after the state’s congressional maps were redrawn last year.

“Everyone has some racist in them of some type,” Carl answered. “I used to work a lot with ministers … and I had some very private conversations. Everyone has some type of racist in them. My mother through Pearl Harbor — she couldn’t stand the Japanese, she couldn’t stand it. And it used to just eat her from the inside out.”

He then went on to rail against how Alabama’s congressional maps were redrawn last year, suggesting that the maps should not be based on race. Federal judges approved a new congressional map for Alabama that maintains the state’s one Black-majority district and nearly adds a second one, which would boost Democrats’ chances for flipping a seat.

“I grew up in the 60s. I know what race, racial madness is. We’ve spent so much time getting away from it, and now we’ve got an election system [that] is dragging us right back in,” Carl said. “And Barry doesn’t want to be here. Jerry doesn’t want to be here. It should be where it was … should be the original districts and let us serve the people we’re serving.”

Carl clarified his remarks in a statement to The Hill, suggesting that racism has been a part of the United States in its past.

“What I said is there’s been racism in America, and we need to do everything we can to eradicate it and stand united regardless of skin color. The far left wants to divide us on race with ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter, and Barry Moore does it by voting to keep [critical race theory] in our military,” he said in a statement.

“This district was drawn along racial lines, and I disagree with that because we need to look at people for who they are regardless of their skin color. Barry Moore compared opposing races to ants who have been thrown together, but we need to stand united as Americans to do what’s best for our country regardless of our race,” Carl added.

Carl represents Alabama’s 1st Congressional District, and Moore currently represents the 2nd Congressional District, which was redrawn last year to be the almost Black-majority district.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What is that supposed to show?

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Yeah, I don't get it.  -?????

I think it shows racial bias, intentionally or otherwise, of the person posting it and the people praising it. The pilot is doing nothing wrong but the implication is that a black woman flying a plane is somehow bad. Obviously this isn’t true. It’s a racist post. 

it’s been getting absolutely slammed on Twitter, and received a community note (which you can see).

• Thanks 1