Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

Fueled by almost unrestricted social media access, US white nationalism on the rise

White nationalists keep showing up in the hearings of the US House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.

Evidence is mounting that white nationalist groups who want to establish an all-white state played a significant role in the violent attack on the US Capitol that left five dead and dozens wounded.

Thus far, the hearings “have documented how the Proud Boys helped lead the insurrectionist mob into the US Capitol building in Washington, DC,” journalist James Risen wrote in the Intercept.

Based on July 12, 2022, testimony from a former Oath Keepers member, the white nationalist group coordinated with the Three Percenters, another group of white nationalists, and the Proud Boys in mobilizing their extremist groups to rally in Washington, DC, on Jan. 6, as asked by US President Trump in his Dec. 16, 2020, tweet.

As a cultural anthropologist who has studied these movements for over a decade, I know that membership in these organizations is not limited to the attempted violent overthrow of the government and poses an ongoing threat, as seen in massacres carried out by young men radicalized by this movement.

In 2020, for instance, the Department of Homeland Security described domestic violent extremists as “presenting the most persistent and lethal threat” to the people of the United States and the nation’s government.

In March 2021, FBI Director Christopher Wray testified to Congress that the number of arrests of white supremacists and other racially motivated extremists has almost tripled since he took office in 2017.

“Jan. 6 was not an isolated event,” Wray testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. “The problem of domestic terrorism has been metastasizing across the country for a long time now, and it’s not going away anytime soon.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights group, tracked 733 active hate groups across the United States in 2021.

Based on my research, the internet and social media have made the problem of white supremacist hate far worse and more visible; it’s both more accessible and, ultimately, more violent, as seen on Jan. 6 at the US Capitol and the shooting deaths of 10 Black people at a Buffalo grocery store, among other examples.

An expansive, online network

In the 1990s, former KKK leaders including David Duke rebranded white supremacy for the digital age.

They switched KKK robes for business suits and connected neo-Nazi antisemitic conspiracies with broader anti-Black, anti-immigrant, and anti-Islamic racism.

From the 1990s to the late 2000s, this movement largely built discreet online communities and websites peddling racist disinformation.

Click on the link for the full article

LD, I am with you on the need to be outspoken.  I have spent a week with my in-laws family at a big family retreat in Arkansas.  It was fun explaining to little kids how they are related to my four kids (3 Black and one El Salvadorian).  I love how they all just accept my dress/skirt wearing R (name with held sort of).  R is just R.  As little kids they get it and don't need the labels we adults seem to need.  I do think my kids might be the majority of non-White people at the resort.  I haven't seen any other minorities, and I think it is great to at least let people put faces and memories and relationships to counter some stereo types they will hear in their lives.

• Thumb up 2

Charlottesville's First Black Woman Police Chief Fired As Officers Refused to Comply

After a midsummer meeting in June 2021, newly hired police chief RaShall Brackney felt the need to double down on her personal safety, unholstering her gun as she left headquarters. Brackney’s fear however was not prompted by the activity on the streets, or even the ongoing public threats made against the police department over the years. Instead, she found herself afraid of her own subordinates, cops who wanted her gone after making some controversial, yet necessary shake ups throughout the force.

That same year, an internal probe was being conducted of the 15 member SWAT team. According to a report obtained by The Washington Post, there were more than just a few issues that required addressing. There was evidence of several officers making racist remarks. One text in particular read that they should “take out” the command staff. And while Brackney found this concerning, most others on staff blew the comment off. The report additionally found an officer training a new hire on how to hide misconduct.

Brackney had only been hired four years prior in the wake of the infamous Charlottesville riots of 2017, as “Unite the Right” members and allies filled the streets with terror and white supremacist hatred. The day’s events lead to the death of 32-year-old Heather Heyer, and the severe injuries of several others after James A. Fields Jr. drove his car through a crowd of people protesting against the presence of white nationalist groups. The hiring of the city’s first Black woman police chief was intended to be a step in the direction for an area that dealt with underlying racism and systematically oppressive issues long before that fateful day. Her role was to help the city save face as Charlottesville quickly became synonymous with white hate, as well as help to restore the public trust in government.

However, not long after Brackney was sworn in, she was already catching a glimpse of the challenges she was to encounter in the upcoming years. In her first few days, the new police chief says that she was approached in the hall by a commander who told her:

“I voted Republican, and I don’t drink any f—-ing pumpkin lattes.”

Brackney realized that the police department operated with a toxic insular culture that promoted an “us versus them” mentality as the relationship between the public and the government remained fractured after 2017. She immediately got to work on rectifying this issue.

First, she withdrew officers from a regional drug task force which she saw as targeting low level drug users instead of drug pushers. She then made a move to take resource officers out of schools which often leads to the criminalization of behavioral and disciplinary issues. Brackney was also not a fan of special units, as she believed that these were blind spots in police departments where misconduct and corruption occurs. But everyone was not in agreement.

Many officers felt that dissolving these special units weakened the department’s ability to fight crime, and were also disheartened by the fact that they felt the potential to be promoted to these specific roles were now stripped from their career vision boards. They also felt that Brackney was negative and too quick to punish officers, even as investigations were concluded. They even accused her of pushing her own political aspirations.

“My first concern is that the chief is more focused on her political career and personal interests over the safety and mental health of her officers,” one officer wrote. “She will hang any officer out to dry before she admits any personal wrongdoing.”

Many officers and other government officials also questioned Brackney’s ability to lead effectively.

“In order to dismantle systemic racism and eliminate police violence and misconduct in Charlottesville, we need a leader who is not only knowledgeable in that work, but also is effective building collaborative relationships with the community, the department, and the team at City Hall,” City Manager Chip Boyles wrote in a news release.

Home appraised with a Black owner: $472,000. With a white owner? $750,000

Last summer, Nathan Connolly and his wife, Shani Mott, welcomed an appraiser into their house in Baltimore, hoping to take advantage of historically low interest rates and refinance their mortgage.

They believed that their house — improved with a new $5,000 tankless water heater and $35,000 in other renovations — was worth much more than the $450,000 that they paid for it in 2017. Home prices have been on the rise nationwide since the pandemic; in Baltimore, they have gone up 42% in the past five years, according to Zillow.com.

But 20/20 Valuations, a Maryland appraisal company, put the home’s value at $472,000, and in turn, loanDepot, a mortgage lender, denied the couple a refinance loan.

Connolly said he knew why: He, his wife and three children, ages 15, 12 and 9, are Black. A professor of history at Johns Hopkins University, Connolly is an expert on redlining and the legacy of white supremacy in American cities, and much of his research focuses on the role of race in the housing market.

Months after that first appraisal, the couple applied for another refinance loan, removed family photos and had a white male colleague — another Johns Hopkins professor — stand in for them. The second appraiser valued the house at $750,000.

This week, Connolly and Mott sued loanDepot, which is based in Foothill Ranch, California, as well as 20/20 Valuations and Shane Lanham, the owner of 20/20 Valuations. Lanham conducted the first appraisal.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:56 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Its entertaining to watch them go from "I ****ing DARE you to find one racist thing in my past....MY WHOLE HISTORY. I DARE YOU!!" 

to 

"Ok well how is that openly racist Twitter account I run as parody reflective of who I am as a person though?" 

Here are some of her tweets. They are pretty vile though. 

Spoiler

And these people are real-estate agents. I wonder how many black people they kept out of good neighborhoods. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Benched Brooklyn judge’s alleged homophobic, racist remarks preceded removal from the bench

Explosive new court papers accuse a Brooklyn Surrogate Court judge booted from the bench last year of spewing racist and anti-gay remarks, denouncing Hispanics as promiscuous liars and ranting that homosexuality “is an abomination.”

An affidavit from state Chief Administrative Judge Lawrence Marks laid bare the plethora of hateful remarks Judge Harriet Thompson allegedly said “in the courthouse in the presence of United Court System personnel.”

The fiery words preceded her abrupt removal from her position in December.

“I hate these gay white men,” she’s quoted as saying in the document, while later declaring “gay racist f-----s ... trying to ruin me and get me ... Being gay is an abomination to mankind. The Holy Ghost (is) going to get them.”

Thompson’s vile speech also included a remark that she “assumed the litigant was a liar” in cases involving anyone with an Hispanic-sounding name, according to the 20-page Brooklyn Supreme Court filing obtained by the Daily News.

“They have a deceitful trait that goes way back to Biblical times,” she was quoted as saying. “The men are always stealing, and the women are no better. They lie, steal and use their vaginas for anything they want.”

Thompson, now seeking to vacate the order from Marks that removed her from the bench, responded to The News that she was the victim of a “political hit.”

Watch: Slur-spewing Tennessee alderman spars with reporter — and defiantly says he's running for mayor

According to WSMV4, an alderman of Portland, Tennessee, a small Nashville-area town on the Kentucky border, is unapologetic after being caught multiple times on police body cameras using racial slurs — and the city can't remove him from office.

This comes after Portland Alderman Thomas Dillard got into an argument with reporters outside the council chambers a few days previously.

'Do you think you should stay on the council?' a WSMV4 reporter asked Dillard on Monday.

"Yes I do," he replied.

"Despite you making racist comments?" the reporter pressed.

"And I’m running for mayor!" a defiant Dillard said.

The controversy began eight months before, when the first police camera footage was revealed of Dillard admitting to calling his Puerto Rican neighbor the N-word. In a second incident earlier this month shows him screaming about his neighbor again and referring to them as "f**king porch monkeys!"

Dillard initially responded to the footage by saying, “I’d like to apologize to those who were offended by the words that I used.” He has subsequently refused to resign, saying at one meeting in March, “Is there anybody on this board who can honestly say you’ve never used that word in your life?” When fellow Alderman Megann Thompson said she had never used it, he said, “Well, congratulations, you’re probably in the minority.”

Despite this, and despite condemnation and formal censures at council meetings, the mayor and the rest of the council have concluded there is no way to remove him from office.

‘Central Park Karen’ Amy Cooper loses lawsuit against former employer

Amy Cooper, the white woman dubbed “Central Park Karen” after accusing a black bird-watcher of threatening her in 2020, lost a lawsuit against her former employer claiming she was illegally fired and portrayed as a racist.

US District Judge Ronnie Abrams rejected Cooper’s claim on Wednesday that she was defamed when ex-employer Franklin Templeton, a holding company, axed her one day after the viral altercation in Central Park.

Cooper claimed that Franklin Templeton and its chief executive Jenny Johnson perpetuated her image as a “privileged white female ‘Karen’” by making public statements about firing her after conducting an investigation into the incident.

In May 2020, Cooper went viral after video showed her yelling at birder Christian Cooper and calling the police to claim an “African American man” was “threatening” her while she was walking her dog in Central Park. 

Noted Black artist, allegedly mistaken for a homeless person, accuses NYC hotel of racial profiling

A prominent Black artist who has shown at New York’s Museum of Modern Art and the Whitney Museum of Art, and whose work is displayed in acclaimed private collections, has filed a complaint with the state Human Rights Division alleging he was racially profiled during a stay at The High Line Hotel in January.

Kahlil Robert Irving, 30, was asleep in his room at the boutique hotel on Manhattan’s 10th Avenue the morning of January 22nd when two hotel employees, both white men, used a key card to enter the hotel room, “screamed” that he needed to leave the hotel immediately, threatened police intervention, and accused Irving “of being a homeless person who had broken into the room,” according to Irving’s HRD complaint.

The staffers “ignored the hotel key card sitting in plain sight by the door,” according to the complaint, and they did not relent until Irving “was able to sit up in bed, retrieve my phone, retrieve the hotel reservation online, and convince the hotel manager of his error.” The complaint alleges the hotel workers offered no apology.

“Putting all of this together, it is impossible to imagine that this incident was not racially motivated,” the complaint alleges. “Can one seriously believe that this incident would have taken place and would have unfolded in such an aggressive and malicious manner, for any other reason, and absent hostile, racial stereotyping?”

Sheriff: “I’m sick of these black ****s.... Every black that I know, you need to fire him...”

On one end of the phone was Columbus County Sheriff Jody Greene. On the other was then-Captain Jason Soles, who had just been tapped to lead the Sheriff’s Office while elections officials investigated a complaint questioning whether Greene was eligible to serve as sheriff.

Greene wanted to know who in the department had communicated with Lewis Hatcher, the former sheriff whom Greene had narrowly defeated in the election, and Melvin Campbell, a recently-fired sergeant, both of whom are African-American. In Greene’s words, they had a “snitch” in the office, leaking information to his political opponent who had sued to be reinstated until the election protests were resolved.

“I’m sick of it. I’m sick of these black ****s,” said Greene said to Soles. “I’m going to clean house and be done with it. And we’ll start from there.”

The call between Greene and Soles took place about two months into what was a tumultuous start to Greene’s career as sheriff. Greene beat Hatcher in the 2018 election by just 34 votes, at a time when election fraud in this rural part of North Carolina was making national headlines. The results were protested, in part over concerns Greene did not actually live in Columbus County as required by state law. He’d also been improperly sworn in before the state certified the election results.

Soles’ “promotion” to acting sheriff was the result of a court-mediated agreement between Greene and Hatcher, while elections officials worked to determine who was the rightful sheriff. Greene wanted his chief deputy, Aaron Herring, to serve as interim sheriff. But Herring was not an acceptable alternative to Hatcher and his supporters, in part because of Herring’s reputation in Columbus County’s African-American community. Herring was arrested in 2015, charged with punching a handcuffed black man in the face while serving as a Whiteville Police officer. He was later found not guilty, but that did little to quell concerns in some parts of the community about his treatment of African-Americans.

Soles told WECT that immediately after his appointment as acting sheriff, he began getting late-night phone calls from Greene.

“This one particular phone call that [I] received, he made the comment that he hated Democrats. And then he said, ‘I take that back. I hate a black f***ing Democrat.’ And, and I knew right then, I was like, ‘Wow, this is coming from the sheriff.’ And, I had to start recording those conversations,” Soles said of the moments before he hit record on the phone call.

Soles, who is now running for Columbus County Sheriff against Jody Greene, said he was concerned that the most powerful law enforcement officer in Columbus County was racist, and would not treat black employees or the residents he policed fairly.

• 2 weeks later...

Latino L.A. City Council members apologize after racist remarks leak

A small group of Los Angeles city leaders faced shame and castigation after an audio recording of racist remarks at a private meeting surfaced Sunday.

The most egregious remarks were uttered by City Council President Nury Martinez, who seemed to verify the 2021 recording by apologizing to constituents. She likened a colleague's son, Black and 2 years old at the time, to an animal and seemed to imply that the county's progressive district attorney shouldn't be supported because he may be popular with Black Angelenos.

The audio from a political strategy meeting attended by a handful of Latino Democrats on the council was first reported Sunday by the Los Angeles Times. It had surfaced on a Reddit discussion board this month but was deleted. The source of the recording is unknown, and NBC News hasn't determined whether it has been edited.

The meeting, apparently about political strategy and redistricting, was attended by Martinez and council members Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, as well as Ron Herrera, the president of the powerful Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. All are Latino Democrats.

The remarks about the child, the son of departing council member Mike Bonin, concerned his behavior at a parade in 2017, when he was 2. Martinez used a Spanish term to refer to the boy as an animal.

Martinez also dismissed Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, a justice reform advocate who is reviled by law-and-order politicians and has survived two Republican-led recall attempts, as unworthy of the support of the people in the room.

"F--- that guy. He's with the Blacks," she said.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, China said:

Latino L.A. City Council members apologize after racist remarks leak

A small group of Los Angeles city leaders faced shame and castigation after an audio recording of racist remarks at a private meeting surfaced Sunday.

The most egregious remarks were uttered by City Council President Nury Martinez, who seemed to verify the 2021 recording by apologizing to constituents. She likened a colleague's son, Black and 2 years old at the time, to an animal and seemed to imply that the county's progressive district attorney shouldn't be supported because he may be popular with Black Angelenos.

The audio from a political strategy meeting attended by a handful of Latino Democrats on the council was first reported Sunday by the Los Angeles Times. It had surfaced on a Reddit discussion board this month but was deleted. The source of the recording is unknown, and NBC News hasn't determined whether it has been edited.

The meeting, apparently about political strategy and redistricting, was attended by Martinez and council members Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, as well as Ron Herrera, the president of the powerful Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. All are Latino Democrats.

The remarks about the child, the son of departing council member Mike Bonin, concerned his behavior at a parade in 2017, when he was 2. Martinez used a Spanish term to refer to the boy as an animal.

Martinez also dismissed Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, a justice reform advocate who is reviled by law-and-order politicians and has survived two Republican-led recall attempts, as unworthy of the support of the people in the room.

"F--- that guy. He's with the Blacks," she said.

My brother and I grew up in a rural area and went to, basically, an all white school. He was trying to explain to someone what it was like and the guy (another black guy) wasn't quite catching on. Finally, I chimed in and said" You fit in, until you don't". Latino conservatives always boggle my mind. They seem to think they're white just because they have a lighter skin than black people, but those racist white people see you just the same. You'll never be one of them...

• Like 2

Alaska Lawmakers Erupt After Old White Guy Says Natives Should be ‘Sent Home’

An assembly meeting in Alaska turned into a racial debacle when a community member used the public comments portion to espouse his racist views that Indigenous Americans should go “home,” prompting a local lawmaker to call out the man’s bigoted “nonsense.”

On Oct. 11, the Anchorage assembly held a regular meeting to discuss everyday issues, like proposed ordinances and licenses in the city. More than four-and-a-half hours in, however, a white man in a collared shirt stood up to casually argue for Alaskan Natives to be kicked out of Anchorage.

The man, who identified himself as David Lazer, started by complaining about the area’s homeless problem.

“Like, 80 percent are the Natives. I have to call them ‘Indians,’” he said, grumbling that Indigenous Americans are considered Native but his white children born in Alaska are not. “My children were born here, and they’re not Native. This is not a white-Black problem. This is an Indian problem.”

“I say send them home to their native village. A Native Corporation is the problem, not a white problem,” Lazer continued, using the term for partnerships of organizations formed in Alaska to protect Native culture in the area. “Why should we be paying for a Native problem? Send them home. They would be happy there, and we would be happy. They could drink, smoke, do dope, and whatever they do in the villages with their own people and they would be happy.”

---------------

Assemblyman Forrest Dunbar, a Democrat, immediately shot back at Lazer.

“First of all, I find it deeply ironic to have anyone but an Alaskan Native person telling them to go home in Alaska,” Dunbar said. “My second thing to say: They are American citizens and Anchorage residents and members of our community, and we are responsible for taking care of members of our community.”

After Lazer finally stepped away from the podium, Roger Branson, a Republican competing against Allard for District 23 in Alaska’s House of Representatives, told attendees that Lazer’s comments made him feel “dirty.”

As a self-described advocate for users of mental health services, Branson said he supports people who “are overly represented in both homelessness as well as corrections.”

“That last testimony was tough. …I feel dirty,” he said, before talking about providing adequate resources for people dealing with homelessness.

Branson told The Daily Beast that Lazer’s comments were offensive.

7 hours ago, China said:

“Like, 80 percent are the Natives. I have to call them ‘Indians,’” he said, grumbling that Indigenous Americans are considered Native but his white children born in Alaska are not. “My children were born here, and they’re not Native. This is not a white-Black problem. This is an Indian problem.”

This is an old white guy problem, period

<~ OWG

DOJ files suit against South Dakota hoteliers that announced Native American ban

The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against two Rapid City, South Dakota, hoteliers alleging steps taken to ban Native Americans from the property violated the Civil Rights Act.

The lawsuit, filed against Grand Gateway Hotel and Cheers Sports Lounge in northern Rapid City, alleges that owner Connie Uhre and her son, Nicholas, denied access to Native American patrons in violation of Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin in places of public accommodation, such as hotels and other places of entertainment.

Federal authorities cite the lawsuit stems from an email chain in which Connie allegedly told various hotel owners and managers in Rapid City that she doesn’t want to allow Native Americans on property belonging to her.

“I really do not want to allow Natives on property. Every time we have problems I call the police with it, the first thing they ask is what nationality is he or she and 98% of the time I have to say native, and we call at least once a week,” an email from Connie reads. “They kill each other walk around with guns... The problem is we do not know the nice ones from the bad natives...so we just have to say no to them!!”