Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism in America.... Is it worse now after the 2016 election?

brandymac27

• 3 weeks later...

University of Kentucky student who repeatedly hurled racist slur at Black student permanently banned from campus

The student facing assault charges after she repeatedly hurled a racial slur at a Black student on campus early Sunday morning has been permanently banned from campus and could face additional charges, the University of Kentucky president said.

Sophia Rosing – who is no longer a student – was initially suspended on an interim basis, and is now no longer a student, permanently banned from campus, and will not be eligible to re-enroll as a student, the message from University of Kentucky (UK) President Eli Capilouto to the UK community said.

“Although she is no longer a student, we must continue our investigations,” Capilouto continued.

“That includes our cooperation with an investigation into criminal charges filed; our Code of Student Conduct disciplinary proceedings and racial harassment misconduct being reviewed by our Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity.”

“As a community working wholeheartedly to prevent racist violence, we also must be committed to holding people accountable for their actions. The processes we have in place are essential,” he continued.

Click on the link for the full article

School board member reads horrifically racist blog post after he's called out for threats against parents of trans kids

Mike Martin, who is white, shared an article Monday toward the end of a three-hour meeting of the Wilson School Board that claimed Black people are easily offended and averse to "correction" by others, and his fellow school officials and administrators issued a statement condemning his remarks, reported the Reading Eagle.

“I really did not think I was being racist,” Martin told the newspaper. “I apologize for how it came across. As horrible as it sounds, it wasn’t meant to be a horrible statement and I need to fix it.”

Martin read the article, which complained that Black people got unreasonably offended when asked to pull up their pants or turn down their music, among other things, when asked for additional comments after he was asked by another board member, who was also white, to apologize for threatening to beat up the parents of transgender children at a previous meeting.

"I think sometimes we're afraid to discipline a group because of the recourse or their position or it might offend them, and I think that brings problems that I know that we've been talking about, you know, rowdiness in classrooms and discipline in classrooms because we're afraid to take that next step," he said, after finishing the piece purportedly written by a Black man. "Whatever that step may be, I think we need to start addressing those issues in a more formidable way instead of just trying to accommodate, because of certain situations or their upbringing."

Martin, who previously made news by refusing to wear a mask to a board meeting in May 2021, said he understands the outrage and apologized.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

This post almost makes it sound like you empathize with him. 

Actually, my post was asking a question. Specifically because I'm not sure whether to empathize with him. 

You see, I am completely aware that I'm a racist. At least in some ways. 

Just as an example, I became aware years ago that if I'm at an ATM making a withdrawal, and somebody comes behind me and gets in line?  I react differently, I experience different emotions, if the person is black. 

I'm not proud of it. I consider it a major character flaw, that I have to be constantly on guard against, lest it influence my behaviors. 

But it's there. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't. 

I fight it. It's one of the things I think of, when somebody spouts the claim that the only racism in America is against white Christian unvaccinated males. It's the personal flaw that keeps reminding me that just because we took the "whites only" sign off the drinking fountain or elected Barack Obama, does not mean we've eliminated all racism. 

And I am also aware that there are other people who have the same character flaw I have. But who's response is to loudly yell that they're not racist, and how dare you imply that they are?  After all, they've never ever owned a Klan robe. 

And now that I have attempted to explain the "tactical situation" from which I'm speaking, and to bring things back to China's post and my response, ......

At least the quote that China posted does not appear to me to be a Klan-like declaration of the supremacy of the white race. But rather a confession by the teacher that he is subject to tendencies that he's not proud of. But which are common, among all (or at least most) men. And that people need to be aware that humans do indeed have this wiring built into them. 

And this makes me wonder. Is a person who confessed to a known character flaw being prosecuted for confessing an imperfection?  Or is he being prosecuted by those people who also have the same character flaw that I have, but whose response is loud, confrontational, denial?  

• Sad 1

So you do empathize. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I am not trying to vilify you at all I just wanted to know. 

I thought I knew where you were coming from before I made the statement, but I was looking for confirmation. 

I suffer from the same **** you do, while we are being honest. I know I can’t laugh too loudly in a crowded elevator with a white woman or she could be literally jump scared by that (happened to me at work). I know that there are people at work who think my job is my way out of the hood.they had said so, to me, like it’s a common thought they have and congratulated me on my escape. I have lived in an affluent suburb my entire life 🥸. I was legit raised to believe that I have to try twice as hard as a white guy in my same position to get what he gets and that motivation has helped me a lot in my career. I know because I take the white peoples bull**** at work with a smile so that I can use them to get ahead later makes me look like a coon to other folks who don’t want to and don’t have to take it. And I get nervous if the wrong kind of brotha walks up to me in the wrong kind of situations. The **** gets deep. I get it.

But I find that an inappropriate reaction to a story like this. He didn’t just say he is racist. He should not have said that to those kids anyway. I wouldn’t want my black son to be told that by the man whose job it is to lead him. That’s not the role he is paid to play in my kids life. I doubt that was in the lesson plan. But that’s not all he said. He said that his race is superior. That is a whole other bag than just being nervous when someone walks up to you when you are at the ATM. He is literally saying if white Aaron and black Aaron are equally qualified that automatically makes white Aaron the better man cause he is white. And I would have loved to have been there to help my child work through that realization, that people really DO think he is less than because of something he has no control over. Cause I remember that day for me and it’s ****ed up to try and understand. And I think that’s why he is being prosecuted.

That and he was dumb enough to do it on camera. What a dumb ass. He wasn’t saying I’m racist and I’m working through that. Lots of us are. He said he thinks he is superior because he is white and not all of us feel that way. 

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

I empathize with what I read into his words. 

Sometimes called "projection". 

Yea I think so. And that’s what I thought was happening. 

if it makes you feel any better your character was never in question at all to me (not that it matters but just saying). You always have and always do come off as a good man to me so I wouldn’t have believed you agree with that dude regardless of what you said lol. If anything I would have questioned myself first and re-evaluated. 

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Did he? 

Yes lol. View the clip it’s right there. 

His word for word quote is “Deep down in my heart I’m ethnocentric which means I think my race is the superior one”. 

I’m leaning toward hitler on the scale in this case. 

• Like 1

ES- the gift that keeps on giving

IMO the teacher was voicing something that many/most believe, well aware of how it would be received. He also states that essentially everybody thinks this of their own race, and that's arguably true in most cases. He does this in front of a bunch of teens that have been trained to yump on anything, trying to be first, with no thought or introspection.

I'd think this is exactly the type of conversations that need to be happening. Get it all out in the open. Discuss it, define it, defend it, and listen to the reactions of others. They aren't hearing what you feel, only what you're saying and you can either leave it there to scare people like an abandoned suitcase in a plane terminal or expound and clarify. I don't think any conversation should be off limits if it can take place without anger or violence, talk that **** out. 

Personally I support a federal program to have everyone's DNA tested so we can lay this race horse**** to bed, we're ALL mongrels and mixes. There is no "pure bloodline" anywhere.

~Proud mongrel~

Y’all know there is a difference between being a racist and having racial prejudice right?

Racial prejudice is your brain being dumb and making snap judgements based on the immature bull**** internalized from society and can be improved by practicing what MLK preached and that’s judging people based on character. I mean actually practicing how to identify character and re-wire your brain to respond to character based emotionally competent stimulus rather than the low hanging fruit of skin color and stereotype. 

A racist is a dunning Kruger who is too dumb to know their brain is being dumb and builds a whole belief system and identity around myopic racial prejudice that is anchored in a false sense of superiority. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lowballed: Philadelphia-area homeowners of color receive unfair appraisals

Janine and Corey Ricks have decorated their Christmas tree, hung stockings in their fireplace and set a calendar countdown to Santa's arrival on their mantel. They're looking forward to hosting family for the holidays in their new house in New Castle, Delaware, where they live with their two children. But their path to this home wasn't easy: It was hindered and nearly blocked by an underappraisal.

"We're definitely blessed to be here now, because we fought for this place," Corey said. "This was just the benefit of our hard work and the things that we went through."

The appraisal the Ricks received for their previous home, in the Philadelphia suburb of Darby, was more than $40,000 below their asking price. They had already found an eager buyer, but the underappraisal thwarted the sale, since the buyer couldn't receive the loan they needed.

After planning their move to Delaware, the Ricks were left without a way to afford their new house.

"We were assuming we weren't going to be able to purchase this home," Janine said, "even days before we were actually going to sit down and sign."

With some help from a family member and flexibility from the owner, the Ricks were able to buy the Delaware house. But they still have been unable to sell their Darby home.

The underappraisal has taken a large toll on their family, both financially and emotionally.

The Ricks are one of many local families who have been "lowballed" in recent years: From 2018 to 2020, at least 18,922 homes sold in Pennsylvania were appraised below market value, according to a 6abc analysis of Federal Housing Finance Agency data. Of those underappraisals, over 1,700 were in Philadelphia.

These underappraisals were much more common in majority-minority neighborhoods, like where the Ricks lived in Darby.

• Thumb down 2

Christian Nationalist Leader Claims He Forgot He Ran Mega-Racist Twitter Account

Until last month, Thomas Achord’s friends in the increasingly assertive world of right-wing Christian nationalism saw him as an upstanding member of their movement.

The headmaster of a Baton Rouge school that teaches “classical Christian education,” Achord hosted a podcast with the author of a new book advocating for Christian nationalism. In the insular online community where Christian nationalists debate how to live out their values in a secular world—perhaps by abandoning society altogether or by rallying around an American Caesar who will impose their values by force—Achord was seen as a rising star.

Then someone found his secret Twitter account.

Achord lived a clandestine second life on Twitter, under the vaguely ancient-sounding name “Tulius Aadland.” There, he called a Black member of Congress a “negress” and Black teenagers “chimps.” Achord opined about his desires for a “race realist white nationalism.” He complained that the middle school-aged stars of a Netflix movie simply weren’t hot enough for him. He expounded on his ideas about “Jewish satanism” and argued Jewish people were tricking the United States into “Jew wars.”

LAPD Thinks Best Response To Leaked Recording Of Councilmembers’ Racist Remarks Is Going After Reddit Users

The Los Angeles Police Department is here to serve and protect… the powerful. The rest of you are on your own.

Earlier this year, someone leaked an audio recording of a closed-door meeting attended by the city’s Latino lawmakers. The comments made during this meeting were extremely disturbing, exposing the racism and bigotry of the meeting’s attendees.

In this surreptitiously recorded conversation from October 2021, Los Angeles City Council President Nury Martinez — while speaking with Councilmembers Kevin de León and Gil Cedillo as well as Los Angeles County Federation of Labor President Ron Herrera — made racist remarks and insults about various elected officials.

Martinez focused in particular on Councilmember Mike Bonin, who is white, and Bonin’s young son, who is Black. At one point, Martinez called Bonin a “little ****” and referred to his son as “Parece changuito,” or “like a monkey.” She also said Bonin’s son had misbehaved on a parade float and needed a “beatdown.”

The recording didn’t surface until nearly a year later. It debuted at Reddit, posted by a now-suspended user. There’s more to the recording, none of it good.

“I see a lot of little short dark people,” Martinez said of that section of Koreatown, employing stereotypes long used against Oaxacans in Mexico and in the United States.

“I was like, I don’t know where these people are from, I don’t know what village they came [from], how they got here,” Martinez said, before adding “Tan feos” — “They’re ugly.”

Martinez says “F— that guy … He’s with the Blacks” while speaking about Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. George Gascón.

The correct response from law enforcement would have been to do nothing. If councilmembers didn’t want to come off as bigoted idiots, they shouldn’t have said the things they did. But power protects power and the LAPD has decided to get involved, wielding a wiretapping statute in hopes of finding out who created and leaked this recording.

Police have sought a search warrant for the Reddit website as they try to identify the person who leaked a racist discussion between Los Angeles City Council members and a powerful labor leader, causing a scandal that has rocked the community and shaken faith in its lawmakers.

The LAPD is trying to determine the origin of the recording that appeared on the site in October, according to a Tuesday statement.