Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

Everyone should feel optimistic about Gibson (and obviously McKissic, but if they’re doing this then Gibson showed them enough to warrant it) after this, at least. He got more glowing reviews some practices than even McLaurin.

RB production is pretty replaceable on any offense that you’d want to emulate, guys. It’s far more important to be able to disguise what you’re doing and get the guys that fit well. AP carried some bad teams and we rose to the height of...still bad offenses. We’ll be fine.

Sucks cause I think AP is a cool athlete. Fun to watch too. But also makes sense cause hes old and doesnt do what im assuming we want our backs to do very well. 

Small side not - Haskins is really going to have to prove his leadership. AP made it easy cause he was a good model. Cant lean on that anymore (and maybe he already has, just pointing out leadership void on offense with him leaving) 

As good as AP (still) is at his one trick, he’s still a one-dimensional back that limits any offense he’s in. There’s so much more complexity you can work into your offense, especially over the course of a game when lining up in the same formations but with different concepts, with someone multi-dimensional taking his snaps. Even if that someone isn’t as good as he is at running out of base formations with the QB behind center. 

Good move in terms of roster synergy, at least theoretically. Hopefully the drop off from AP’s main skill is minimal or, better yet, not there at all and the answer exists on the roster. 

A few things.

Was this a, "HOLY ****! HE'S SO GOOD! WTF ARE WE DOING!?" kind of surprise, or should it have been to literally anyone? No.

Was it a, "Huh. Didn't see that coming... but I mean, he really doesn't fit the offense and is a pure running back while the rest of the guys are more valuable as pass catchers and specs players..."? 100%

I do find it ironic that we, as a forum, destroyed Gruden for wanting to do the same thing last year. It's funny what a culture change can do for our opinions as a whole.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Sucks cause I think AP is a cool athlete. Fun to watch too. But also makes sense cause hes old and doesnt do what im assuming we want our backs to do very well. 

Small side not - Haskins is really going to have to prove his leadership. AP made it easy cause he was a good model. Cant lean on that anymore (and maybe he already has, just pointing out leadership void on offense with him leaving) 

haskins is a big boy and can handle himself. besides, imo ap is not a role model at all. i won''t go there but you  can figure it out. 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

As good as AP (still) is at his one trick, he’s still a one-dimensional back that limits any offense he’s in. There’s so much more complexity you can work into your offense, especially over the course of a game when lining up in the same formations but with different concepts, with someone multi-dimensional taking his snaps. Even if that someone isn’t as good as he is at running out of base formations with the QB behind center. 

Good move in terms of roster synergy, at least theoretically. Hopefully the drop off from AP’s main skill is minimal or, better yet, not there at all and the answer exists on the roster. 

If "limiting" is getting you consistent yards and keeping you out of 3rd and long, then yeah.

Just now, justice98 said:

If "limiting" is getting you consistent yards and keeping you out of 3rd and long, then yeah.

I think you're entirely too short sighted.

Cool, AP can help grind yards out on the ground. And that's true. 

But he limits the offense. If he's in, you almost can dismiss the back as a defense as a receiving threat. Or, if we sub in those situations, you can basically tell when the team is running or passing.

He cannot contribute on special teams. In a year of uncertainty you can't have guys that are total one trick ponies.

The name of the game today is versatility. If you aren't versatile, you aren't going places.

The offense doesn't need a bruising back. It needs a multi-dimensional back.

Think Christian McCaffrey.

Now, think of these guys: Bryce Love, McKissick, Antonio Gibson, Peyton Barber, Adrian Peterson.

Which of those guys is least like McCaffrey?

It makes sense, but it's still a bummer.  

He was a one trick pony, @KDawgis right.  But it was still a good trick.

I still think you could have had him in a two back set with Gibson/Love/Pass catching RB and been able to have been effective with it, too.  

Much respect to AP, thanks for giving us a reason to watch these past couple of seasons.

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

A better and more consistent way to stay out of 3rd and long is to pass the ball on first down. With a duel threat RB. Dont get me wrong, im sad hes gone as he was great. But it makes sense.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A few things.

Was this a, "HOLY ****! HE'S SO GOOD! WTF ARE WE DOING!?" kind of surprise, or should it have been to literally anyone? No.

Was it a, "Huh. Didn't see that coming... but I mean, he really doesn't fit the offense and is a pure running back while the rest of the guys are more valuable as pass catchers and specs players..."? 100%

I do find it ironic that we, as a forum, destroyed Gruden for wanting to do the same thing last year. It's funny what a culture change can do for our opinions as a whole.

Yeah but I don't remember our options being that great last year. What were we going into the season with? An injured Bryce Love an injured Derrius Guice and an oft injured Chris Thompson and what else?

This year all the younger and rookie rbs are healthy and ready. This league doesn't often keep older rbs around when cheaper and fresher legs are available.

Plus there were a multitude of reasons by year 5(?) to not trust Fat Gruden's logic.

Archived