Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

This might bite us in the ass for this year but in the long run it makes sense to play the young guys. I do think having a bunch rbs that can do multiple things is good but what if they do these multiple things at an average level? I doubt any of them are better than ap. I guess we will see....

This is a bold move by Rivera and clearly marks us as a team building for the long term. It is also a vote of confidence in Scott Turner and his vision for our offense.

As others have said AP in 2020 is less of a risk as a pure runner than any other back on the roster. However, at this stage of his career, he is severely limited in what he can do and this limitation means that defenses can easily predict what the team will do when he’s on the field.

AP functions best if you feed him 20+ carries/game. Scott and Rivera would rather give those carries to younger more versatile backs that can grow as the team progresses.

Welcome to the era of the “pony offense”— Speed, versatility, movement, creativity, unpredictability and deception designed to keep defenses confused and off balance over sheer brute force.

Hope Gibson and Love can get the job done and stay healthy.   I guess they figure they can always find a running back that is cut by another team if they need one.

With no fans in the stands no one will hear some fans shouting "We want AP" from their living rooms when the game is over and we have gained less than 100 yards

rushing.  We are in total rebuild mode so now we will see what these new coaches can do and whether or not they can develop young talent.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:50 AM, ConnSKINS26 said:

The one issue is AP isn't versatile. Him being on the field is a huge signal to the defense. With the importance of versatility that Rivera, Smith, and Turner went out of their way to talk about and draft onto the roster this offseason, does that concern no one? It almost feels like they'd rather have a slightly lesser talent at RB if it doesn't tip their hand at all. 

It could still work. PA passing on 1st down is one of the most efficient plays in football (and doesn't need to be "set up" at all). AP on the field on early downs leaves this as an option, even if he's not a weapon in the passing game on anything other than the rare swing pass. And he can still grind the clock in the 4th quarter when we have a lead (the only good time to run more than you pass), though he's more effective after having pummeled the defense for a full game. 

So I'm not saying he won't make the roster. I'm just saying playing him pretty much demands the type of one-dimensional usage that our new staff seems against, but for some reason that's not raising a red flag around here. 

^^^and this was what I said back in May as well. This was a foreseeable outcome knowing what Turner wants, even if I didn’t think they’d fully follow through like this and cut him. He didn’t fit and that part was pretty obvious early on. 

I knew it was going to happen eventually, but I'm still heartbroken. It sucks that a player with so much still in the tank had to ride out what may be the last 2 years of his career with a backwards team like us. I don't often care for the success of leaving players, but I hope AP signs with someone and gets a last moment of glory.

Yes and no. This is actually a pretty early release. AP's been released before the official cut day so every team has an opportunity to look at him and consider him in their team building. I think you don't cut him earlier because what if Love reinjured himself or something else unforseen happens? Then, you need him and you're scrambling.

I'm surprised, and a little disappointed. I know he's getting up there in age, but the man can still contribute, and I think he's still got the goods. He's given us his all the past 2 years, on teams that were going nowhere. I figured he'd still lead the pack this year, given that we cut Guice, and the other guys are younger, inexperienced, and/or less talented. I guess Turner values versatility above all else.

He's a consummate team guy, and I appreciate all his efforts for us. I bet he'll still play this season though. He's still got gas in the tank, so I'm sure a team will pick him up.

Good luck, AP.

31 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

This sucks.  Hopefully the coaches see something that we don't.  I'm concerned that Gibson and Love are not fierce enough to drive through the line.  If we fail to get 3rd and short all season than this was an absolute terrible decision.  

I don’t think you have to worry about Gibson running hard, I have no worries about him being able to run between tackles. I’m more concerned about him coming in As a rookie and having too much on his plate. There’s  a lot of things being thrown at him at once. How will he hold up as a blocker?

Tough move, but the right move for sure. 

Outside of the worst owner in sports, we finally have some adults making smart decisions. Sure they will eventually be undermined by the worst owner ever, but we'll have a year or two of competence at least. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Did all of you quoting this not see the part where I said what a culture change can do to change our opinions? 

Don't know bout anyone else, but my post didn't detail any culture change...it was predicated solely in on-field results. Back when we found out AP was inactive the reaction wasn't too different from what we're seeing now--didn't see that coming, why, what's going on, coupled with the usual speculation. It was only when the running game proved itself to be ****ty--complete with Guice instantly getting injured--that the pitchforks came out. I expect more of the same should the on-field results be similar under the culture change.

Archived