Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 9/27/2018 at 9:15 PM, zoony said:

Just watching this Thursday night game and really getting a feel for how dreadful the redskins WR corps is.  Not one weapon.  Doctson was a complete waste of a first round pick

Great or even good all all have the same trait,,, explosiveness.  Explosive out of breaks or with the ball or down the sidelines.  Doctson looks like he is jogging out there

I posted right before final cuts came out that I wouldn't have been surprised if Doc was traded. That being said, he's here and it's clear he's not someone the coaches feel they have to get involved in the game. AP has kind of negated the need for our passing game in 2 of the 3 games so we'll see if Doc can get it going in New Orleans where we'll certainly need to throw the ball. You would think that having Reed and Vernon healthy would really open things up for Doc, Crowder and Richardson....Make or break year for Doctson for sure. Don't give up on him yet....maybe he steps up on Thanksgiving Day and beats Dallas for a couple of TD's?

I will predict no significant changes at WR for week 5.  Maybe Harris will double his snap count - a couple targets and keep easing him back. Jay is maybe too scared to make big changes after a... lets be reality - a pretty big win for us.

I think the game flow / specific matchups will largely decide which WR gets the targets, as much as a guys ability to get open.  I have very low expectations from all our WRs right now.

No volume if everything goes to plan. and AP leads the way.

@OVCChairmanFantasy Points and NFL Draft Round. Michael Thomas leads all fantasy WRs in scoring and was a mid round 2nd.

Edited by RandyHolt

15 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Cant hurt to bring him in but you know there is a problem when 3 teams (Browns, Bills, Patriots) give up on him within 12 months... he was a first rounder only in 2016.... 

He’s done. Just wait it out till Simms and Trey come

back. I’d also rather promote the 6’4” guy from our practice squad.

• Like 4

I really can't believe there's this much discussion on Doctson. He drew 2 PI calls and caught one out of bounds last week. He's getting targeted, and he's having an impact on the game. I do wish he ran more routes and was more involved in our offense, but we have an inside out offense that runs through Thompson, Reed, and Crowder as our primaries. If Robinson or Crowder or Harris or another player shows up and can be relied upon and defenses game plan for them then we can extend it. 

I think it was a big adjustment last year going from Jackson and Garcon to Reed/Davis and Thompson (who was nowhere near as involved then as he is now). It's also an adjustment going to Peterson. Doctson was supposed to be our goal line guy amount other things, and we saw what he can do last year and last week when he drew the pi call at the goal line. But now we also have Peterson who can get in the end zone with no problem. So that takes targets away from Doctson. 

But the story is that Doctson is our best run blocking WR, which is why he still plays so much. I have a feeling that as the games go on, hell go from being number 3 or 4 in terms of progression to 1 or 2 and we'll see things change.

And if not, i still see him doing enough to warrant his playing time.

• Like 3

I was a Doctson guy in the 2016 draft.  I admit my faith has waivered some recently but not to the degree where I've given up on the dude.  The season is young.  I'd give him the season.  Hoffman is a big Doctson guy.  He's said recently that there is some divide in the building about Doctson.  However, the receiver coach Ike Hilliard, loves him, and thinks it will come around for him.  Will see.  

Having said that wonder if Floyd pushes him.  Floyd in his prime was really good.  I don't know if he still has it though, will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

FWIW:

More info is always worth seeing, yes thanks. I can't say anything stood out vs GB, but I was unhappy with his blocks for CT and AD in the first 2 weeks. All I'm saying. I'm not banging the table for Doctson's head on a pike, but I do want to see if Mo Harris can breathe more life into the WR threat of the team. 

27 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I'm not banging the table for Doctson's head on a pike, but I do want to see if Mo Harris can breathe more life into the WR threat of the team. 

You seem to be.  From reading your posts anything that makes Alex look better or explain away deficiencies in his game - particularly his tendency or inability to make certain throws, or avoid them altogether,  really begs the question, why is there even a debate?  He has demonstrated throughout his career to be an intermediate passer with a preference to TE's and RB's.  He was forced last year to go downfield IMO by Andy Reid because they had Hill.  Now you seem to be  propping up Maurice Harris as the "missing link"  who too has dropped very catchable balls and made circus catches like Doctson.  So good luck with that one.  If you watched all the games Harris has played in, which I have, you would see similar tendencies.

My issue with "fans" who follow QB's or a certain player around the league, from team to team, is that they are myopic regarding their evaluation of said player. You cannot have a reasonable discussion and they get all butt hurt if you bring up any logical argument or a deficiency in the players game.  

It is true that no one player is responsible for a teams success for failure.  However, if you are the QB, being able to use weapons and bring out the best in a player IS an important function of a seasoned QB.  It is part of their job.   

The sad part regarding Doctson IMO, is that with his skill set I believe he is on the wrong team.  And this may be true for Richardson and Harris as we go along.  Doctson would do better with Mohommes, Goff, or Rodgers.  I am telling you watch McVay scoop him up or Reid after this season.  He is going to be a bargain.  He has the ability or we would not have seen flashes of it.   When you have a conservative QB who plays not to lose, just like their coach, a player like Doctson can't evolve.   

And anyone on here who thinks AP can keep this grind up ALL year is not dealing with reality.  The guy already went into the break, a bit hobbled, with his ankle.  Gruden is not running the offense in a balanced way. You have to create more opportunities for these types of players.   Playing with an abundance of caution, playing not to lose, or to make the perfect throw is going to cost this team dearly as we move towards stiffer competition I suspect. 

You cannot play a team like New Orleans, as one example,  and think for a minute Drew Brees is not going to score or carve up your D a bit.  The guy is a first ballet hall of famer who is not hobbled like Rodgers was a week ago.  Next week will be a very important test for our team. Sure we will throw I suspect but it will the the intermediate Alex specials - Reed, sprinkling of Davis, AP (I think he will be slowed), screens to CT out of the back field, and maybe a few obligatory, we tried, heaves downfield.   

Another sad part is that I think any of us could draw the game plan up Gruden is bound to go with on any given Sunday.  I would never be able to draw a game plan up for McVay, or Reid, as two examples, but i could for the Skins.   

45 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

You seem to be.  From reading your posts anything that makes Alex look better or explain away deficiencies in his game - particularly his tendency or inability to make certain throws, or avoid them altogether,  really begs the question, why is there even a debate?  He has demonstrated throughout his career to be an intermediate passer with a preference to TE's and RB's.  He was forced last year to go downfield IMO by Andy Reid because they had Hill.  Now you seem to be  propping up Maurice Harris as the "missing link"  who too has dropped very catchable balls and made circus catches like Doctson.  So good luck with that one.  If you watched all the games Harris has played in, which I have, you would see similar tendencies.

So my words about Doctson's run blocking fails are all in the grand concerted effort to defend Alex Smith? Wow, okay then. 

As if it was any wonder why I didn't announce my allegiances, your post highlights it well. 

The sad part regarding Doctson IMO, is that with his skill set I believe he is on the wrong team.

It is true that no one player is responsible for a teams success for failure.

I have stated these exact things as well. 

46 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

My issue with "fans" who follow QB's or a certain player around the league, from team to team, is that they are myopic regarding their evaluation of said player. You cannot have a reasonable discussion and they get all butt hurt if you bring up any logical argument or a deficiency in the players game.  

47 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

When you have a conservative QB who plays not to lose, just like their coach, a player like Doctson can't evolve.   

I have never once in the past had issues with a fan of other teams coming to "my" team forum and giving their opinions of "my' SF players. It's sad that you feel the need to project your own hurt, bias, and negativity towards me. I'm here hoping the Redskins win football games, and if Alex Smith plays like crap, he will be called on it from me. Same goes for any players. Best of luck with your issue. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

The sad part regarding Doctson IMO, is that with his skill set I believe he is on the wrong team.  And this may be true for Richardson and Harris as we go along.  Doctson would do better with Mohommes, Goff, or Rodgers.  I am telling you watch McVay scoop him up or Reid after this season.  He is going to be a bargain.  He has the ability or we would not have seen flashes of it.   When you have a conservative QB who plays not to lose, just like their coach, a player like Doctson can't evolve.   

To that point, it appears that the kind of routes Doctson can 'win' on, are the throws Alex Smith is the worst at.

SMITH-ACCURACY.png

16 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really can't believe there's this much discussion on Doctson. He drew 2 PI calls and caught one out of bounds last week. He's getting targeted, and he's having an impact on the game. I do wish he ran more routes and was more involved in our offense, but we have an inside out offense that runs through Thompson, Reed, and Crowder as our primaries. If Robinson or Crowder or Harris or another player shows up and can be relied upon and defenses game plan for them then we can extend it. 

I think it was a big adjustment last year going from Jackson and Garcon to Reed/Davis and Thompson (who was nowhere near as involved then as he is now). It's also an adjustment going to Peterson. Doctson was supposed to be our goal line guy amount other things, and we saw what he can do last year and last week when he drew the pi call at the goal line. But now we also have Peterson who can get in the end zone with no problem. So that takes targets away from Doctson. 

But the story is that Doctson is our best run blocking WR, which is why he still plays so much. I have a feeling that as the games go on, hell go from being number 3 or 4 in terms of progression to 1 or 2 and we'll see things change.

And if not, i still see him doing enough to warrant his playing time.

I guess I still can't see the idea of a 1st round pick run-blocking, or drawing PIs as justifying his talent level or his perceived contribution to this offense.  Certainly some of it falls on the kind of QB Smith is, and maybe the playcalling, but I'd like to think, at where we drafted him, his talent level would dictate that he's winning matchups and becoming a solid contributor in this offense.  And I'm not sure how that can happen...and some of that is on the team, some of it is on him.   

If he's going to be a possession receiver, at what point can we expect the offense to look his way on critical down situations?  Those appear to be the kind of routes he can execute...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wanted treadwell and cash. 

I liked Treadwell initially but got swayed by all the metrics that Doctson beat him on and Doctson's hands combined with his size-vertical.  If Doctson doesn't pan out, 2 lessons for me on it.

A.  A lot of first round WRs flame out -- seems like a real hit and miss endeavor in the first round

B.  Study a player's personality.  Doctson's personality is so low key and cavalier -- doesn't give off the greatest vibe. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah even though some people get down on Doctson, Treadwell has been awful. In his 3rd year playing and so far he has 336 yards and 1 TD. Doctson looks like an All Pro in comparison. 

Granted. But Treadwell has done a lot more this year. And it's no stretch to think that Treadwell will have much better numbers at the end of the year than Doctson will. And yes, Treadwell is still terrible. But then, I'm also saying so is Doctson.

46 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Granted. But Treadwell has done a lot more this year. And it's no stretch to think that Treadwell will have much better numbers at the end of the year than Doctson will. And yes, Treadwell is still terrible. But then, I'm also saying so is Doctson.

Treadwell is not being asked to be the #1 in Minnesota. He has Diggs and Thelin in front of him.

We are asking Docston to be our #1.