Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I kept hoping for Doctson to succeed but think we have seen enough. 

I laugh because some were calling him the new Rod Gardener, 50/50...Doctson would have to put up some numbers to reach that level, he is like 20/80 right now.

We are playing on the road on a fast track, I really think put whatever speed you have out there, if Floyd is at the right weight or if Harris' head is not cloudy, just let them go, Smith is not going to have time for gimpy Josh to limp through his pattern just in time for him to gator arm it or jump out of the Superdome to make what we think will be a great catch only to lay the ball on the turf when gravity has its say.

• Like 1

I am not done with Doctson the way some here are.  But I am intrigued by Floyd.

Sean Payton said WR Michael Floyd can still play. The Saints cut him this summer. “When he was initially here he was a little heavy, but he dropped his weight and the last two weeks were real good.... You saw the speed and the transition….I think he’s got years left in him.”

Doug Williams on 980 yest re Doctson: "A lot of people think sometimes he’s not tough enough. Sometimes you can be TOO tough in this game … The kid took his own shoe and cut the back of it off to make sure there wasn’t no pressure on his heel, and he went out there and played"

0 replies2 retweets2 likes

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Doctson is the SKINS as Perriman was to the RatBirds. Doesn't make many plays and drops too many easy balls. I've seen enough of this dude. I'm no coach or talent evaluator, but in my opinion, he just does not have what it takes to be a WR at this level. Just cut bait!  Also, the WR Coach (Hilliard), I'd be looking at him funny too. SKINS's recent history of developing WR is suspect.  Play Harris, Quick and Floyd. Or bring up someone from the PS to play WR.  

31st best WR crew so far according to PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-wide-receiving-corps-on-the-nfl-through-week-4

WAS-Redskins-Header.png

WIDE RECEIVER RANKING, WEEK 4: 31st

Washington wideouts have only dropped one pass this season. However, they’ve done little once the ball is actually in their hands, forcing only two missed tackles and combining for a league-low 79 yards after the catch, a total topped by 40 individual receivers so far this season.

5 hours ago, ksun247 said:

Doctson is the SKINS as Perriman was to the RatBirds. Doesn't make many plays and drops too many easy balls. I've seen enough of this dude. I'm no coach or talent evaluator, 

You may not be a coach or talent evaluator, but when I think of you, I think of boxing evaluator.

So, give us a boxer comparison to Doctson :)

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You may not be a coach or talent evaluator, but when I think of you, I think of boxing evaluator.

So, give us a boxer comparison to Doctson :)

This a very tough thing do. Boxing is a hard comparison, but I'll try.

Doctson was good in college and had a little hype behind him. But he has yet to do anything on the pro level. He has a few TD's, but far too many drops and is a no-show in most games, when he is healthy.

I think he is a wasted draft pick for us. But I also question the SKINS ability to develop WRs.

A few boxers who I think could compare to Doctson are: Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy,  Andre Dirrell,  "Sugar" Shane Mosley Jr. and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Lacy was very hyped, but was so one-dimensional. Ripped up body, but all he did was try to throw left hooks. He couldn't box.  He had early success KO'ing cab drivers and other tomato cans. But he stepped up in competition to fight champion Joe Calzaghe and JC embarrassed him in every round. Lacy hasn't done jack since getting exposed.

Dirrell is very talented,  but has bad luck. In 2 of his big fights, he got KO'ed twice for being hit after the bell. In his last rematch, he got the dog crap beat out of him. Think he may retire, because he doesn't have the "IT" factor and now Father Time is knocking on his door.

Mosely Jr is living off his dad's name. He wasn't super hyped, but there was a little buzz to see if he could be like his dad. Already has 2 losses early in his career. Doesn't let his hands go and his boxing IQ is suspect.  

JCC Jr is straight garbage. He REALLY is living off his dad's name. He has a huge Mexican fan base behind him, but it is dwindling fast. Jr is rich and SUPER LAZY!!! He's not good, but gets love from promoters, and judges based off his dad's name. 

• Like 1

I agree Docston hasn't proven worthy of a first round pick and seems on his way to becoming a bust  but one thing is the narrative that he has had sooo  any drops in inaccurate..please show me the stats where he has these countless number of drops??  His catch to targets is below average but his flat out drops is not thew issue.  I have no idea where he is in the top of the league in drops has come from.  If I'm wrong please show me the stats that prove me wrong. Again his targets and catches are below average but that doesn't mean all the passes were catch-able.

• Thanks 1

Does this stat usually follow Alex Smith around? Last year aside.

31st best WR crew

Let me speculate on why no team wants Dez. He is slow, but more importantly is feared to be a distraction in the locker room.  We have learned in the past few years teams do no want distractions. Again, just pure speculation. A wild guess.

Edited by RandyHolt

Doc may be a huge disappointment, but he's not utterly useless.

I'd be fine with retaining Doc as a much lower string receiver, who we only pull off the sidelines for specialty situations, like goal-line, or fades.

Just because he's not a true #1, doesn't necessarily mean we have to do away with him completely.

Nothing says we can't demote him, and then when he becomes a FA, offer him money consistent with a 4th or 5th stringer.

Unless of course, some other team wants to pay him much more.

Did I read that Josh modified his own shoe?  If so, that displays a strong passion for the game.  Just sayin'.  I wonder how he did it though. Maybe they have a bandsaw at the Park.

Its a real big chance for Floyd to rejuvenate his career. Big stage, a D ready for a shootout.... I read he had been spending time preparing to backup a different position X?, so maybe Mo Harris has an edge.  I assume Mo can fill in at both X and Z by now. If Josh has further struggles maybe a few snaps at slot would be worth a shot.  I pretend to know that Josh is our Z.

Edited by RandyHolt

On 10/5/2018 at 7:41 PM, JSSkinz said:

Its a good point by @ksun247, we have some good coaches who are developing talent and at what point do we wonder why that's not happening at WR?

Like I said before... we haven't exactly been giving him the biggest talent pool to work with.  

This was from my post from a few pages ago.  

Ike Hilliard is our wr coach and he's in his 6th season.  That would mean he came in around 2012.  Our drafts since then look like this.

2012 -  0 WR drafted

2013 - 0 WR drafted

2014 -  Ryan Grant - 5th round (Starter)

2015 -  Jamison Crowder - 4th round (Starter)

2016 - Josh Doctson - 1st round (underachieving)

2017 - Robert Davis - 6th round (I.R. but people had high hopes)

2018 -  Trey Quinn - 7th round (final pick of the draft) (I.R. but looked promising)

We were carrying Garcon / Jackson through part of this so the need to take a WR high wasnt there, but this isn't exactly the biggest talent pool out there and he's had some level of measured success with Grant and Crowder.  Mo Harris is coming along as well... 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 10:42 PM, RandyHolt said:

Did I read that Josh modified his own shoe?  If so, that displays a strong passion for the game.  Just sayin'.  I wonder how he did it though. Maybe they have a bandsaw at the Park.

Its a real big chance for Floyd to rejuvenate his career. Big stage, a D ready for a shootout.... I read he had been spending time preparing to backup a different position X?, so maybe Mo Harris has an edge.  I assume Mo can fill in at both X and Z by now. If Josh has further struggles maybe a few snaps at slot would be worth a shot.  I pretend to know that Josh is our Z.

I want to say I heard Jay say that Harris has been lining up at all WR positions and that's one of the values of him.  I think I heard a local beat guy also say that WHENEVER Hilliard or Gruden says "I need a WR" regardless of the alignment, X, Y, or Z, Harris is the first guy to run on the field.  

I really hope we've been giving Floyd a look in practice.  I don't need or expect 100 yard games from him, but I want to see if he can still have effectiveness on the outside.  I just need a top 30 guy out the.  Someone who can play the position and that Alex may be able to get some confidence in.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Any news on Michael Floyd?

The only news I heard was that he had been preparing to be a backup for a different position than Josh, and then after the heel injury, was quickly also learning to be Josh's backup.  Where is Brian Quick in all of this... has Floyd passed him on the depth chart? Maybe Quick is technically our 5 since he can play teams.

Harris Richardson and Crowder are our big 3. If we go 4 wide, I hope to catch a glimpse of Floyd.

Edited by RandyHolt

The question on Doctson is how much longer can you put him in the lead WR role without getting any kind of production.  So far this season his best plays have been drawing PI.  Not that there isn't merit to that because both teams it was due to clearly beating his defender which caused the PI.

• Like 1