Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 10/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, OVCChairman said:

We better kick the tires on Cooper....

Word was they needed a 1st round pick in return. That's a big **** no.

1 hour ago, Nerm said:

If it makes anyone feel better, the Skins are going to have the better WRs and TEs this weekend.  Also, Alex Smith has more passing yards than Dak does, even though Dak has played one more game.  You guys look like the greatest show on turf compared to the Cowboys passing attack.

Dak is a flat out bad QB. Last week was an aberration; Jacksonville gave up by the end of the 1st quarter and the Cowboys laid it on thick. Similar to us on Drew Brees day. We need to hold Zeke in check and make Dak beat us because he won't. The only throws that he can make are the play action bootleg short to the TE and the short slant to the slot.  

• Like 1

When can Quinn and Simms come back?  Week 8?  If healthy, I really think both could help us tremendously.  Quinn as a reliable underneath receiver and Simms as the deep threat we desperately need.

Edited by mojo

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Doctson and a 3rd would have been nice.

Man that feels expensive... I may have done a 4th, or doc and 5 or 6... then again, its probably pretty clear that we're not in love with Doc so his value is diminished as we'll likely not be extending him after next season. 

31 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Man that feels expensive... I may have done a 4th, or doc and 5 or 6... then again, its probably pretty clear that we're not in love with Doc so his value is diminished as we'll likely not be extending him after next season. 

To be honest, I wouldn't panic and package too high a pick with Doctson. Amari Cooper has been inconsistent and is no "sure fire" thing himself. When considering the cost in a trade, I would offer Doctson + 5th rounder. Anything more than that and we have crossed the break-even point in a trade, in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

To be honest, I wouldn't panic and package too high a pick with Doctson. Amari Cooper has been inconsistent and is no "sure fire" thing himself. When considering the cost in a trade, I would offer Doctson + 5th rounder. Anything more than that and we have crossed the break-even point in a trade, in my opinion.

Yeah that's why i feel like Doc and a 3 is too much... I'd be hesitant to give up just a 3, let alone a 3 AND a player.  

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah that's why i feel like Doc and a 3 is too much... I'd be hesitant to give up just a 3, let alone a 3 AND a player.  

I feel like other teams surprise me with how little they give up in a trade. The thing is that we need a signal that OAK is willing/interested in moving on from Cooper. In that case, they lose a little leverage and perhaps we can go Doctson + conditional pick or even a lower draft pick.

• Thanks 1

Anything more than a 5th for Cooper and a contract negotiation (Oakland eating much of his $14M fully guaranteed salary) is not worth it. 

I have seen lot's of analysis showing that WRs are open but Alex is not finding them. Let's see how the gets do once the chemistry gets going. Each week they are getting more involved and Alex is getting the ball to them more. 

I know it's hard for fans - but the team needs to have some patience and not do a Vinny knee jerk reaction and send a mid to high draft pick for a guy who as at best been inconsistent and is due a huge salary next year. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I feel like other teams surprise me with how little they give up in a trade. The thing is that we need a signal that OAK is willing/interested in moving on from Cooper. In that case, they lose a little leverage and perhaps we can go Doctson + conditional pick or even a lower draft pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/14/raiders-reportedly-shopping-amari-cooper-karl-joseph/

It was all over the place... Gruden has since come out and said it's not true... but I don't trust that for a second. 

27 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/14/raiders-reportedly-shopping-amari-cooper-karl-joseph/

It was all over the place... Gruden has since come out and said it's not true... but I don't trust that for a second. 

As many in these forums have discussed already, one has to wonder if he and Jay talk about this stuff at all.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Anything more than a 5th for Cooper and a contract negotiation (Oakland eating much of his $14M fully guaranteed salary) is not worth it. 

I have seen lot's of analysis showing that WRs are open but Alex is not finding them. Let's see how the gets do once the chemistry gets going. Each week they are getting more involved and Alex is getting the ball to them more. 

I know it's hard for fans - but the team needs to have some patience and not do a Vinny knee jerk reaction and send a mid to high draft pick for a guy who as at best been inconsistent and is due a huge salary next year. 

I thought teams trading a player had to eat (what would be) the dead cap money?

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I thought teams trading a player had to eat (what would be) the dead cap money?

If they release them, yes. But in a trade the team taking the player inherits the contract requirement unless otherwise agreed to in the trade. The team trading could refuse to take the trade unless the original team assumes part or all the salary. 

Why would we trade a pick (and Oakland probably wouldn't take anything less than a 2nd rounder or 3rd + a player I'm guessing) for a guy we wouldn't even throw the ball to mostly likely? Cooper is a decent WR, but he's looked pretty crappy recently and would be going from a decent but not great gunslinger type QB to a decent but not great super conservative one so he'd be targeted even less most likely. He'd also be due a bunch of money unless we renegotiated his contract. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Crowder most likely out for the Dallas game.

Sucks.

Jehu Chesson promoted again per Official Skins site

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-sign-jehu-chesson-to-the-active-roster

"LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins signed the following practice squad player to the active roster:

• WR Jehu Chesson"

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

If they release them, yes. But in a trade the team taking the player inherits the contract requirement unless otherwise agreed to in the trade. The team trading could refuse to take the trade unless the original team assumes part or all the salary. 

Double checked on this... as far as I can find (maybe the article I read was out of date), the original team is on the hook for any signing bonus (becomes dead cap for them), but any guaranteed money in the base salary is transferred.  Obviously any future roster bonuses are not incurred by the original team.  

As far as I can tell, the 5th year option the Raiders picked up (for 2019) doesn’t have any guaranteed money though.  So the question becomes, what happens to this years prorated 3.whatever mil of his signing bonus?  

Damn contracts, lol

Edited by skinny21
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Double checked on this... as far as I can find (maybe the article I read was out of date), the original team is on the hook for any signing bonus (becomes dead cap for them), but any guaranteed money in the base salary is transferred.  Obviously any future roster bonuses are not incurred by the original team.  

As far as I can tell, the 5th year option the Raiders picked up (for 2019) doesn’t have any guaranteed money though.  So the question becomes, what happens to this years prorated 3.whatever mil of his signing bonus?  

Damn contracts, lol

Maybe I was not clear enough in my response, so my apologies. Yes, all signing bonus money is on the Raiders. Also, since they picked up his 2019 option he has $14M guaranteed coming his way - it is 100% salary. His signing bonus has already been paid - will be at the end of this year. If the Raiders release him they owe the entire salary no matter what. 

What I was saying is that typically when a player is traded the new team assumes that salary. That would include a portion of this years salary. Oakland would still have dead CAP for the remaining signing bonus that was prorated over 4 yrs since the 5th yr was an option. But the salary portion can be negotiated between the teams.

My point was the Redskins should not even consider taking that salary on. If Oakland wants to eat it and still trade him top us for a 5th or 6th rd pick  then maybe - and I say maybe. I would probably still not do it as he becomes a 1 yr rental unless you sign him to a LTD. 

• Like 1

All good @goskins10.  This past offseason, I took part in debates about trading some of our higher paid guys, so when I thought you were saying all guaranteed money transferred, I seriously doubted my info/previous posts.  :)

13mil guaranteed next year?  Yeah, I’m with you - no thanks.  Even more so because I’m thinking the oline wheels are starting to fall off this bus (and it’s liable to get worse) and no receiver is going to save us... except maybe Tyreek Hill, lol.  

Dang, this post made a sharply negative turn, haha.