Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Did anyone else notice Harris going down quickly after his catches?  I am wondering if Jay has him doing that on purpose, to make sure that he doesn't take any unnecessary hits, and further compound our injury woes at WR.  The previous weeks, I thought I saw the same from Richardson.

With AP toting the mail effectively, it may not matter who are WRs are this year. I would like to think PA will eventually lead to WRs wide open, and help our passing game get some rhythm. And help Alex get a little rapport / confidence with them.

I would be interested to see which QBs use their 2nd and 3rd reads the most. I suspect Alex is among the leaders based solely on my eye test of course.

11 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Get on the horn and check on E. Sanders and D. Thomas... and anyone else that may be available. Be beyond sub par it seems. 

You think either of those guys will have a magical ability to force Alex to actually throw the ball and not check down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Did yall see that Dallas just traded a first rounder for Cooper? Unreal. Talk about a guy that drops the ball:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/22/raiders-trade-amari-cooper-to-cowboys-for-first-round-pick/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

Yea, saw that a while ago. I could not be happier. That's a total desperation move. They are going to have some hard decisions due to the CAP hit unless they made some arrangements with Oakland to eat next years salary or already agreed to some kind of extension with Cooper. He is just not worth a 1st rd pick. I said nothing more than a 5th - may be a little harsh but certainly no more than 4th. But still - that contract. 

23 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

they do to throw thats why no droppies

You realize that it's in %, not number of passes dropped. So your statement makes zero sense. 

• Like 1

I'm rewatching the game, but I wanted to talk about that last drive before the half. People have been talking a lot about the bad of that drive and I think that's one of the few instances where we should have taken more short passes to try to get the FG. But hindsight is 20/20. 

On that drive though, Alex Smith threw up 4 deep balls to Floyd and Doctson (two a piece, although the last one was a hail mary). The last two were ALMOST caught. I think that's a timing issue more than anything and I think more than anything, it could be a reason why we're not passing more. That ball to Doctson was so beautiful and it was just beyond his figertips. Floyd dropped the Hail Mary pass that woulda been a TD. There was also a beautiful pass to Floyd where he didn't get his feet in bounds. 

But (eternally optimistic me) I think that Smith and the WRs are getting their chemistry together, Doctson in particular. That third down pass woulda been a first and goal if they had their timing together. 

I think Doctson is the WR who has been in practice the most so I thought he'd have the most chemistry with him, but I wonder how much of this is also Smith doing what Gruden called Kirk out for and not throwing the ball to Doctson in practice because he's "covered". But if "covered" is the same as he was against Dallas, then we need to see more of those Balls go up and give him a chance. 

• Like 3

So difficult to get a feel on where Doctsons career is headed. Made some nice catches on the skinny posts— made it look effortless. Then on the deep shot, he got himself in amazing position that not many WRs can get to, but didn’t come down with it. His ball skills and way he positions himself for jump balls reminds me so much of Randy Moss. I like that Alex gave him a few shots, maybe a sign of things to come. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Did anyone else notice Harris going down quickly after his catches?  I am wondering if Jay has him doing that on purpose, to make sure that he doesn't take any unnecessary hits, and further compound our injury woes at WR.  The previous weeks, I thought I saw the same from Richardson.

With AP toting the mail effectively, it may not matter who are WRs are this year. I would like to think PA will eventually lead to WRs wide open, and help our passing game get some rhythm. And help Alex get a little rapport / confidence with them.

I would be interested to see which QBs use their 2nd and 3rd reads the most. I suspect Alex is among the leaders based solely on my eye test of course.

what ever is going on, they had better get more out of passing attack. AP won't rush for 90 something every week. So far the D has to get props for keeping games close.

3 hours ago, Monkman56 said:

what ever is going on, they had better get more out of passing attack. AP won't rush for 90 something every week. So far the D has to get props for keeping games close.

The run Ds we will be facing will be getting a lot tougher as the season progresses.  Jax Tenn and Philly to close out the season. The only cupcake on the entire remaining schedule, is Atlanta week 9. Its a dynamic thing of course, but that is what we stand to face as of today.

We better damn well have the passing game fully functional by then.  AP is great but no man can do it all, otherwise Barry Sanders would have won numerous super blows.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Here are my thoughts...

..Smith isn't really the problem. He tries to throw the ball within the design of the play, and if that isn't there, he checks, or starts moving. That is totally fine. I'd rather have that then a guy who tries to laser beam the ball into tight spaces all the time like Jay Cutler.

BUT...in order for that to work the WRs need to gain separation. So far, only Reed does that with any regularity.

Why?

Well, there are only two guys on the roster with the speed to stretch a defense along the vertical. Richardson and Quinn. Quinn won't come off IR for another two weeks, and Richardson isn't 100%.

Crowder and Thompson are masters at sitting between zones, but when those zones are compressed, there isn't much of that available...and, of course both have been injured.

Without that, with less space underneath, you either need quicker breaks (Crowder or Quinn), or big bodies that can box out to make the catch. Doctson has the body, but doesn't use his body in that way. He is only good at skinny posts and flys where his big catch radius and vertical come into play. Floyd can box out, but he only knows a handful of Gruden's concepts so far. Harris can do it, but he is stuck in the slot because nobody else is available. As it is, everybody is having to play roles within the scheme that doesn't fit their abilities as a player.

The pass catching options are just missing key pieces, that once they can be fit back together, will allow the play design to be more effective.

All these guys will be back before the year ends, and then Gruden's concepts will create space for Smith to throw. Richardson and/or Quinn will be pushing the safeties back, which will open crossers, digs, slants, and sits for Crowder, Thompson, and Quinn, which will in-turn create one-v-one situations for Doctson or Reed....just be patient...it will all come together.

38 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

In hindsight, letting Ryan Grant depart is looking like a mistake.

I think he found the perfect situation, it's more of the Colts being pass happy and Luck trusting him than Ryan Grant himself. Ryan Grant is a solid #2 which is something it looks like we'll soon have a million of here on our roster soon. 

I'm really hoping Cam Sims turns out to be something, I think if everything aligns he could be the guy we need. 

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is that a reference to the Colts' QB, or ours ?

I don't see how Smith would be limited with a receiver like Grant. In fact, Grant seems like almost the ideal type of target that Smith favors.

You're not being serious, are you? Luck, a pass happy QB that stretches the field, vs. Alex Smith a dink and dunk guy that one year didn't throw a TD to a WR all year?

Please.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You're not being serious, are you? Luck, a pass happy QB that stretches the field, vs. Alex Smith a dink and dunk guy that one year didn't throw a TD to a WR all year?

Please.

He hasn't thrown a WR TD because look at we have at WR.

Yes, Smith is a dink and dunk QB, but Grant is a dink and dunk type WR.

That's why I think it's a perfect match. Especially considering our injuries, which is another reason we could use him.

And up until now, everybody has been saying that Gruden is pass-happy, in fact too pass-happy, (just like you say Luck is), so how does that not factor in ? Like I said, the problem isn't Smith, it's the talent at WR

Edited by Malapropismic Depository