Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Tate is a YAC master....he would be a terror in NE.

Depending on how bad Crowder's thing is, we should look into a good slot WR for Smith on the trade market imo. A mid rounder for a good vet on a fair contract could be just what we need--especially with Crowder hitting FA most likely. 

I'm not sure going after a WR is really going to help much. Especially in a trade situation. I'd rather just sign Dez for nothing (Vet min, no more) and call it a day and see if he can demand more throws out of Alex. Otherwise, just run with what we have, and run the offense around AP.

49ers are getting calls about Garcon and their free safety Jimmie ward.  We all know what Garcon has to offer, but he is now 32 and is battling a knee issue this year after a season ending neck injury last year.  But a trade would mean about a 3 mil hit this year and a 5.6 mil hit next year.  Considering a healthy Garcon would instantly become our no 1 wr, it might be worth it.   What would the niners want in return?  Probably can't expect more than a 4th right?  

Jimmie ward is a free safety who also has played SS and cb.  Forner first round pick and niners obviously thought enough of him to pick up 9 mil 5th year option.  He would instantly provide an upgrade over Nicholson, and be used interchangebly with DJ, making our defense even tougher.

I know trades are a long shot, especially 2 players for a pick, but this is the time to make a move.  We are a game and a half up in the division, our rivals are struggling, we have several areas to upgrade, we have a lot of picks next year, and we can strike while the iron is hot and send a message we are ready to do what it takes to take the next step forward.  At least make the phone call and offer something substantial.  

Only problem is I don't see shanahan wanting to help the skins out in any way.  Would have to blow other offers out of the water.  Anything comparable he goes in another direction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/Report-49ers-Pierre-Garcon-drawing-interest-13343077.php

Edited by KillBill26

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If Garcon is hurt then you really can't offer much for him. A sixth would probably be fair. A fifth would be overpaying, but acceptable... especially, if we're taking that much money off their cap for a player they don't want.

I agree a 4th would be overpaying, but 49ers claim multiple teams are calling about him and I believe it. We also would need to go a round above what others offer to land him due to our history with shanny.  So it might be 4th or pass, in which case pass might be our best option.  Tough call.  I hope skins are talking to them and to the bucs about d-jax and make a play for one of them.  We need to get this passing game going, and for a midround pick when we currently have ten of them, now is not the time to sit on our hands. 

As far as Garcon being hurt, shanny said he can probably play Thursday.  If we trade for him tomorrow, he would probably not play until Nov 11th. By then, his knee should be fine.

Edited by KillBill26

43 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

O chance I pay anything more than a 7th for Garcon. Golden Tate however, would be stellar. He's extremely underrated.

The thing I don't like about tate is he would take time to learn the system, then he is a FA.  how many quality games are we getting out of him? He is going to go for at least a 4th round pick right?   No thanks.

Garcon and d-jax are plug and play, they have proven to be successful in this system, and we will have them on affordable contracts beyond this year.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

The thing I don't like about tate is he would take time to learn the system, then he is a FA.  how many quality games are we getting out of him? He is going to go for at least a 4th round pick right?   No thanks.

Garcon and d-jax are plug and play, they have proven to be successful in this system, and we will have them on affordable contracts beyond this year.  

I just don’t think Garçon can run anymore. He’s still a tough SOB and will make tough catches in traffic for you but he’s not going to get down field. I don’t think he’d much to improve the passing game personally. 

Jackson would - assuming Smith would throw it deep to him that is. But that’s an unlikely reunion.

• Like 1

@KillBill26 yeah I hear you, it’s just my opinion. I wouldn’t trade much for either Garcon or Jackson. Push comes to shove I probably wouldn’t pull the trigger for Tate either, even though I do believe he’s the best available of the three. We’ll see what we end up doing but my guess at this point would be no major trades for a WR.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Jackson would - assuming Smith would throw it deep to him that is. But that’s an unlikely reunion.

Mainly because DJax & PR both play the same WR position. You bring in DJax & you're going to have PR demanding to be traded simply because you won't be able to have both on the field at the same time & instead splitting snaps. Now they're not going to bring back in a guy they let walk to replace the 2nd guy they've already brought in to replace the original guy with. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TK said:

Mainly because DJax & PR both play the same WR position. You bring in DJax & you're going to have PR demanding to be traded simply because you won't be able to have both on the field at the same time & instead splitting snaps. Now they're not going to bring back in a guy they let walk to replace the 2nd guy they've already brought in to replace the original guy with. 

Yeah - although with PR being banged up it’s a position I’d look at still. But I agree they are not bringing back Jackson.

21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I just don’t think Garçon can run anymore. He’s still a tough SOB and will make tough catches in traffic for you but he’s not going to get down field. I don’t think he’d much to improve the passing game personally. 

It may be unlikely reunion, however Jackson's one best trait is his ability to run under passes thrown deep. That reduces the need for accuracy. Could be a good fit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, #BgMase76# said:

Not interested, DB is an issue w/ what Dunny is dealing with. There only thing that improves our reciever corp is better QB play. Watching the game you can see the WR'S getting separation. Alex hasn't been accurate and gun shy about making the throws.

I don't know that DB is as big of an issue.   We faced possibly the 2nd best WR corps were gonna face this year in the Giants and were able to slow them enough.   Beckham had 1 circus catch where Stroman was beat and played pass interference to prevent a TD.  It was not fair that we put Stroman on an island vs Beckham on 3rd and 17 with no safety help.  He had another one handed circus catch, and some stat padding in the 4th while we were protecting a 2 score lead.  Dunbar is going to be returning, but our pass rush and interior pressure can help out our secondary A LOT.  It's gonna be a big time test to see how we do against Atlanta, as they are likely the best WR corps we will see this year.  

I think we need a playmaker on the outside for Smith.  We're 5-2, and theres a direct path to a playoff birth.  It's going to take some work, but offensively we could use a bit more explosion on the outside.  Richardson, Crowder, and Thompson have been dinged up, and on the offense they appear to be the 3 biggest threats with the ball in their hands.  I feel like we need another player with the the threat to take it to the house.

Edited by OVCChairman

10 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

49ers are getting calls about Garcon and their free safety Jimmie ward.

Been watching, and Garcon doesn't seem the same player anymore, sad to say. 

Loved the Jimmy Ward draft selection back then, but he's been even more disappointing. To be fair of him though, he should have been a FS from day 1, and has been poorly utilized there from day 1. 

16 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Tate is a YAC master....he would be a terror in NE.

Depending on how bad Crowder's thing is, we should look into a good slot WR for Smith on the trade market imo. A mid rounder for a good vet on a fair contract could be just what we need--especially with Crowder hitting FA most likely. 

Why? Quinn is about to hit the field.....

12 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@KillBill26 yeah I hear you, it’s just my opinion. I wouldn’t trade much for either Garcon or Jackson. Push comes to shove I probably wouldn’t pull the trigger for Tate either, even though I do believe he’s the best available of the three. We’ll see what we end up doing but my guess at this point would be no major trades for a WR.

Agree. I hope we stand pat and retain our picks. Smith and crew are getting it done, and I am excited to see the addition of Quinn and Sims on top of improving chemistry.

3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I think its an absolute waste to trade for a WR as long as Smith is the QB.  It will cost us picks, cost us money, and wont help the offense.  Smith only targeted receivers 12 times last game, a 3rd of his pass attempts.

My response to that is... what does he have to target on the outside?  Docston?  a wounded Richardson?  Mo Harris?  If we get a viable weapon at WR, I think he gets more comfortable looking out there.  Why would you gameplan, or feel comfortable, throwing to Doctson over Reed?  Harris over Davis? Anyone over Thompson?  The actual weapons we have are not WR.  Add an actual weapon and we'll likely see more targets. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't know that DB is as big of an issue.   We faced possibly the 2nd best WR corps were gonna face this year in the Giants and were able to slow them enough.   Beckham had 1 circus catch where Stroman was beat and played pass interference to prevent a TD.  It was not fair that we put Stroman on an island vs Beckham on 3rd and 17 with no safety help.  He had another one handed circus catch, and some stat padding in the 4th while we were protecting a 2 score lead.  Dunbar is going to be returning, but our pass rush and interior pressure can help out our secondary A LOT.  It's gonna be a big time test to see how we do against Atlanta, as they are likely the best WR corps we will see this year.  

I think we need a playmaker on the outside for Smith.  We're 5-2, and theres a direct path to a playoff birth.  It's going to take some work, but offensively we could use a bit more explosion on the outside.  Richardson, Crowder, and Thompson have been dinged up, and on the offense they appear to be the 3 biggest threats with the ball in their hands.  I feel like we need another player with the the threat to take it to the house.

Agree.

Pass rush is still our Achillies heel right now. With 17 seconds left, all the Giants needed was a recovered onsides, and a successful hail mary. And that is even with 7 something sacks.  

We are overlooking the fact that the Giants have the worst OL in the NFL. Anyone with a decent D should tee off on Eli. It is ridiculous to think that we really accomplished anything. OBL still had a decent day, and Barkley had more than 100 all purpose yards.

When the OLB get it done against a good OL then we can start chattering.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My response to that is... what does he have to target on the outside?  Docston?  a wounded Richardson?  Mo Harris?  If we get a viable weapon at WR, I think he gets more comfortable looking out there.  Why would you gameplan, or feel comfortable, throwing to Doctson over Reed?  Harris over Davis? Anyone over Thompson?  The actual weapons we have are not WR.  Add an actual weapon and we'll likely see more targets. 

The issue is that Alex is not likely to target any WR all that much. That is just not his game. He throws the ball to TEs and RB's and guys in the slot. He doesn't throw outside that much, and he doesn't throw deep much at all. Unless we're going to go after Tyreek Hill, who can get 5+ yards wide open, most other guys are not going to make a big difference.