Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

When was the last time that the Redskins made an impactful deadline deal? Or any deadline deal for that matter? I've applauded more FO moves recently than I have in the past, but one thing they don't do is make those savvy, in-season, Belicheck-like moves. I imagine we will stay put at the deadline.

DJax isn't a possibility unless PRich's injury prognosis takes a turn. Fact of the matter is that we signed him to fill the DJax role.  

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm actually more upset about this, than I am with Alex.  I know all the talk about being ready to execute now, but it was all hollow coach speak.  There was no realistic way he was going to be able to walk in day 1 and be what he was last year.  Not with Jays system and what he's trying to accomplish.  Not with the talent level we have on the outside.  If we had supreme talent on the outside, who were healthy for the duration of camp / preseason / weeks 1-5, we'd be having a different conversation right now. 

I am too. I bet Brady got a lot more work than Alex did this preseason.  Belly still sets the gold standard.

Counter point, Jay's job would be on the line if Alex suffered a severe injury in preseason, in a heavy work load.  Ironically, his first pass, he got smoked pretty good on what was a questionable play call for a coach looking after his new shiny toy.

Edited by RandyHolt

Just now, RandyHolt said:

I am too. I bet Brady got a lot more work than Alex did this preseason.

Counter point, Jay's job would be on the line if Alex suffered a severe injury in preseason, in a heavy work load.  Ironically, his first pass, he got smoked pretty good on what was a questionable play call for a coach looking after his new shiny toy.

absolutely, but if we aren't 4-2 right now on the coattails of our defense and AP... Jay's job is likely on the line anyway.  I've preached patience about Alex, and think he's better than he's shown over the last 2 weeks, but make no mistake, Alex has not been good enough to be winning us football games by himself.  Jay is lucky that we're not in much worse shape, and that we have a defense and running game to afford Alex time to get comfortable.  

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

absolutely, but if we aren't 4-2 right now on the coattails of our defense and AP... Jay's job is likely on the line anyway.  I've preached patience about Alex, and think he's better than he's shown over the last 2 weeks, but make no mistake, Alex has not been good enough to be winning us football games by himself.  Jay is lucky that we're not in much worse shape, and that we have a defense and running game to afford Alex time to get comfortable.  

Yep, who knows... Doug going after AP without telling Bruce may have saved Jay from a mid season firing. The defense may have a big say in that of course.

But if we look at Jay's body of work here, it screams mediocrity. With a turnkey solution installed at QB, expectations should remain fairly high on Jay. How many more 8-8 years will he be afforded?

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep, who knows... Doug going after AP without telling Bruce may have saved Jay from a mid season firing. The defense may have a big say in that of course.

But if we look at Jay's body of work here, it screams mediocrity. With a turnkey solution installed at QB, expectations should remain fairly high on Jay. How many more 8-8 years will he be afforded?

Look I was ready to burn the joint down 2 weeks ago.

We are 4-2 and face a surprisingly weak remaining schedule (At this stage)

Does that guarantee a winning season? Nope

i was around when we started something like 6-2 and then went 2-6 to close out the season and miss the playoffs.

BUT I will give Jay credit for building a rock solid D, and lucking into a running game.

Give Alex time to work out the kinks.

I ask, "Would you rather win low scoring ugly games with Alex, or lose high scoring yardage monsters with a less conservative QB approach?"

Yea, it would be nice to score more, and be on the smiling end of some ugly blowouts, but i'll give them room to build a season.

I still think Philly turns it around and starts winning, or the Cowboys find some semblance of sanity...nahhhh.

Still a lot of football to play, but the main question is whether the team develops a winners mentality.

I think that the attitude that AP has brought to the table, and the championship mentality that the Bama Boys and Swearinger bring to the table are a huge paradigm shift for this locker room.

The key question is if Norman, TW, and Kerrigan are willing to be locomotives on the accountability train or if they want to be sideshows at the station.

• Like 1

I heard someone somewhere (local radio prob) say they think that last game, was Josh's best game. I guess based on route running, blocking, etc, all the stuff we can't see well, or take for granted.  Josh is going to get a TD one of these weeks. If I predict 1 every week, I can't lose. Bah, I predicted 1 or 2 last week, so I have run out of prediction cards that carry any cred.

Crowder is out this week with an ankle. Is it a high ankle sprain? 3 weeks missing games doesn't sound like a normal ankle sprain.  If anyone can recall the play a lot of times you can see if its likely to be a high ankle. 

Floyd probably still can't believe he dropped that hail mary right into his chest. So he remains stuck behind Harris as our #4.  I question how effective Richardson will be with a knee being a burner. Josh Mo Floyd and Quick would be in the mix for our tallest WR group ever.

Edited by RandyHolt

On 10/23/2018 at 10:35 PM, Morneblade said:

You had no idea, did you?

I did.

....??

?We shoulda all had an idea that it would be slow starting being that there was no preseason work, his wideouts were/are banged up and this teams offense starts slow since forever.

Edited by TheShredSkinz

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Josh is going to get a TD one of this weeks

This is by no means a guarantee. Didn’t Smith once go like 18 straight games without throwing a TD to a WR?

And it’s not as if Doctson has been sniffing the end zone waiting for one to come. The fact of the matter is, this is a horrible situation in regards to evaluating his future role with our team, but if we can continue to win then I don’t really care if Doctson has 20 yards or 2000 yards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

This is by no means a guarantee. Didn’t Smith once go like 18 straight games without throwing a TD to a WR?

And it’s not as if Doctson has been sniffing the end zone waiting for one to come. The fact of the matter is, this is a horrible situation in regards to evaluating his future role with our team, but if we can continue to win then I don’t really care if Doctson has 20 yards or 2000 yards. 

I didn't specify this season ;)

Hey, Alex already had a TD (3!) to a WR, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’d love if djax was back. Would give me a chance to wear his jersey more often again :D 

I'd like him back too. I was never impressed with Richardson, but I'd be fine with we had Doctson/Jackson/Crowder/Richardson as our 4 WR that play. I don't think that Richardson was evern going to replace what Jackson did, but he's been better than most of the other guys we have.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, RandyHolt said:

When Jay arrived, the team was putrid, with mediocrity being the goal. 

Now, after losing the QB that helped get the team to mediocrity, the Redskins are 4-2. 

All about perspective.

• Like 2

Doc was 5 for 5 yesterday. Almost got 50 yards.

Richardson was 2 for 5 and averaged 17 yards per catch

Harris was 2 for 2 and got 20

Is this the ceiling for this group? Will Quinn or Sims make a difference? Would DJax be a distraction?

All I know is that the 1-6 Giants were in this game until the waning minutes of the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jbird said:

Doc was 5 for 5 yesterday. Almost got 50 yards.

Richardson was 2 for 5 and averaged 17 yards per catch

Harris was 2 for 2 and got 20

Is this the ceiling for this group? Will Quinn or Sims make a difference? Would DJax be a distraction?

All I know is that the 1-6 Giants were in this game until the waning minutes of the 4th quarter.

I actually don't think this is the ceiling, I just think we need to get better at getting the playmakers the ball in space.  Doc is not made to be effective in that light, but Richardson / Crowder can be very effective with the ball in their hands... as can D Jax.  The Patriots have made a living on this mentality.  Guys like Amendola and Edelmen don't make their money getting separation for the QB to throw to, they're most effective after the catch.  This WR group is built similarly.  I haven't seen enough from Quinn to completely draw a conclusion, but I believe he's of a similar makeup... better with the ball in hand, not in the air.  

D Jax also is one of the best at tracking the ball as i've EVER seen, so it would not take a long time to get that relationship with Smith... 

Edited by OVCChairman

@OVCChairmanI disagree about the Pats receivers.  I think their quickness and suddenness gains them that separation at their breaks, which affords them time to convert catches to YAC. - i.e. that extra second needed to juke the defender.  If you don’t separate, more often than not the guy at your hip is going to bring you down.  Now, they don’t have the speed to burn defenders on crossing routes or post/go routes - that’s not their game though.  

• Like 1

@skinny21 you're right, but the offense not designed with the idea that air yards are the priority.  People want to criticize a 'dink and dunk' type offense, but its a great way to run a scheme.  High % passes, get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, and let football players make football plays.  Tom Brady's avg COMPLETED air yards is 5.2 according to this...

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards

I get that's completed, and long throws generally have a lower % of completion, but his bread is not buttered going down field.   The separation i was referring to was more about the WR that's got a DB beat or a 4 yard window on a 15 yard in. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Golden Tate is on the trade block.

Yeah. I just saw this. Mid round pick? I might kick the tires on that in all honesty. The guy can play. They can afford to lose him with the progression of Golladay. Only negative is you would have to sign him to a new deal as he is a FA after the season.