Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Both Doctson and Richardson can challenge deep.

People are sleeping on Docston’s deep speed. 4.50 flat isn’t slow, esp. for a taller receiver. Add his 41” vertical to the table. The guy had an up and down year in essentially his rookie season and led the team in recieving TDs.

Richardson is a burner in the traditional sense that he can get major separation with just his speed. He also has a 38” vertical and makes some spectacular grabs every now and then.

Having two guys that can threaten deep is a great advantage for an offense, and we still have Crowder/Reed/Davis to work short/intermediate routes that can provide a security blanket.

Alex Smith has plenty to work with in this offense.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There’s a greater chance of me convincing Danica to leave Aaron and elope with me than Reed playing 16 games.  

Mostly because I’m already married....

I agree with all but the last part - it has nothing to do with you being married.....  :rofl89:

10 hours ago, chris_c_19960 said:

So Grant signed with Baltimore . Why didn't we try to keep him like we did most of our guys . I dont understand letting grant go and we sign Richardson  who didn't have good year till last year.  Should we attempt Jordy or get someone in draft?

Not saying you - but interestingly enough almost the entire fan-base has been chomping at the bit to get rid of Grant since the day he signed here - the latest Reed Doughty.

In terms of specifics, Grant also just had his one and only decent year. Grant was never going to be more than a #4 guy or possibly a #3 guy unless there were injuries. Nice guy - worked his butt off. But he just does not have the skill set to be a top WR. Most importantly - he signed for 4 yrs -$29M! That's >$7M/yr! Sorry, I like the guy and would not have had a problem keeping Grant for a reasonable contract. But for me anything more than $3M/yr maybe $4Myr is too much. 

Also, Richardson has something you can't teach - speed.  That is something that Grant cannot provide. 

And just plain NO! to Jordy Nelson. Do not need older guys on the wrong side of their career. He has had some injury issues and had a severe drop off last year - and that's with Aaron Rogers throwing to him!  Now if you can get him at vet minimum or close to it? Maybe. But he will get much more than that - have you seen some of the other contracts? Watkins - 3 yrs/ $48M!!  Robinson - 3 yrs/$42M! Nelson is not coming cheap. 

I really like this signing and while it looks a little high - in terms of a FAs, it's not a bad contract - especially when you see what Robinson and Watkins got - granted they are much more established - but Watkins is a head case who has not been very productive the last few years and Robinson is coming off a major ACL injury and was a lot more expensive. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough but that actually makes the point. With Rogers he is much better. Without him he is pedestrian. 

I'm not for signing him either. As you said: vet past his prime...

Edited by Wildbunny

15 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

This all means nothing without a good running game. We need a Kamara or a Fournette - hell even an Ajayi would do. As it stands we break nothing and we're predictable as hell.

a good LG and a stud RB and the receivers don't need to be amazing.

This is how I see it.  I am still a big believer in Doctson. If every receiver was evaluated after their first season plenty would have been written off too soon.  With this new addition I think they are fine at WR, certainly good enough to spend resources elsewhere.  Obviously RB and LG are at the top of the list, then they look at the defense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Both Doctson and Richardson can challenge deep.

People are sleeping on Docston’s deep speed. 4.50 flat isn’t slow, esp. for a taller receiver. Add his 41” vertical to the table. The guy had an up and down year in essentially his rookie season and led the team in recieving TDs.

Richardson is a burner in the traditional sense that he can get major separation with just his speed. He also has a 38” vertical and makes some spectacular grabs every now and then.

Having two guys that can threaten deep is a great advantage for an offense, and we still have Crowder/Reed/Davis to work short/intermediate routes that can provide a security blanket.

Alex Smith has plenty to work with in this offense.

Agreed.  The one part about Doctson's game I havent been concerned about is his ability to get deep.

Richardson's fine, I guess, but I don't know if he have that guy n the WR corps you have full confidence in when you have to have a play.  

4 hours ago, DJD2 said:

Would really like to move Reed if possible. His value is never going to be higher.

If he plays >14 games next season and gets some accolades, his value is higher. If he's healthy, he will have a monster season in Gruden's offense with Smith's accuracy in the short game. 

7 hours ago, DJD2 said:

Would really like to move Reed if possible. His value is never going to be higher.

I suspect he would only be worth a very low round conditional 2019 draft pick at this time.  Would that be enough value for you to trade?:unsure:

:229:The Rook

As the leader of the Quick fan club I am happy he is back, but expect him to barely play once again.  PR is a good add but his injury history concerns me being a speed guy. Maybe our "grass" will be better for him.

Anyone want to take a stab at who our Z receiver (Flanker), X receiver (Split End), and Slot receiver will be?  I think the Crowder lined up wide experiment may be over.   My guess. Doctson X, Richardson Z, Crowder back home in the slot, but I don't see Crowder off the field more than Richardson.

Edited by RandyHolt

I do believe that we have decent tight ends. If we can get some blocking from them -  I do believe that we will have a decent passing game.

Davis is fast and strong with great work ethics. Rookies will learn a great deal from him. Reed - please stretch before the game - loosen up!

Hoping for a free agent signing for the receiving core - but not too big of a splash. 

Save cap money for defensive line. We have not had a defense that scared opposing offenses in god who knows how long?

Our defense could be real nasty with a couple of decent DL.  Hail !!!

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

As the leader of the Quick fan club I am happy he is back, but expect him to barely play once again.  PR is a good add but his injury history concerns me being a speed guy. Maybe our "grass" will be better for him.

Anyone want to take a stab at who our Z receiver (Flanker), X receiver (Split End), and Slot receiver will be?  I think the Crowder lined up wide experiment may be over.   My guess. Doctson X, Richardson Z, Crowder back home in the slot, but I don't see Crowder off the field more than Richardson.

x - Doctson, Quick
z - Richardson, Harris, Davis

y - Crowder 

I would expect Quick and Harris to know multiple positions, Davis I think they'll keep as a long-term project at Z. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's interesting from a storyline perspective in that pretty much every single pass-catcher on the team has something that could make fans excited. None of them have ever done a damn thing though. I assume one of them will have a big year, because someone on every team has to catch the passes. (See Jamison Crowder).

There potential for potential.  That's it.  Can't count on Reed.  Doctson had some flashes last year but still a question mark.  Richardson,...one decent year, looks good on the surface but,..we'll see.  Crowder is probably the one the team can count on the most to be consistent.  I realize Smith is a solid vet QB, but it's gonna take some time to gel with the receivers.  The RB situation is still a giant question mark as well, so, at this point I see the offense taking a step back initially for the upcoming season.

So far the team is worse than when free agency started.  I know it's not over yet, and still have the draft coming up, but I don't know how anyone can be that excited about this team at the present time.  

Edited by Probos

16 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I never understood why they didn't play Quick more last year, at least give him a shot to do some of the same things Grant did.  Well, actually, I do understand.  Grant was Gruden's guy, for whatever reason. 

PR's injury history isn't as concerning to me.  I really look at ACL tears as fluky things that can happen to anybody, basically bad luck.  There's very little you can do to prevent an ACL tear.  Having good flexibility is about it, but otherwise, it's just bad luck.  He's had 2. And he's still wicked fast and explosive.  I'd be more concerned with things like hamstring pulls, random upper body injuries, etc.  It seems like unless he has a serious injury, he's available.  

When did our "grass" help anybody ever?  

I think they're going to run 80% of their offensive snaps with Doctson/PR on the outside, Crowder in the slot, with Reed as the TE and a RB.

The problem with this is that Reed and Crowder are crap run-blockers on the outside.  If you believe Cooley, Reed is due to technique, and Crowder tries really hard, but is limited because of size. (I give him a ton of credit for effort, however.)

They will run some 2 WR/2TE/RB stuff, my guess is they'll pull Crowder off and replace him with Sprinkle in running situations.  NOTE: This is a huge tell to the defense, and a big frustration point for me with Gruden's offense.  You can often tell run vs. pass based on personnel.  Sometimes (not often) they mix it up and go against tendency, but you can play the tendency a lot of and be successful.

For the last several years, where Grant lined up was also a huge tell.  If he motioned in tight, it was ALWAYS a run.  One way of fixing the running game is to stop being obvious about when and where you are going to run.  That's coaching, for a different thread, but it's maddening.  

For example, if they go 2 WR/2TE/RB with Davis vs. Sprinkle, it's a pass.  If it's Sprinkle it's a run.  

The key to the skill positions this year are:

1. Will Doctson take that next step and become a more reliable target, and a difference maker?

2. Will PR be able to create space underneath with his speed?

3. How many games will Reed be healthy? (Over/Under is 8)

4. Is CT back to form and how many games will he be healthy)

5. Who is going to be the starting RB?  I firmly believe this person is currently attending frat parties and prepping for the draft.

With the PR signing, all of the starting spots are taken.  Anybody else brought in is for depth, and spot duty in 4 WR sets.  

EDIT: I hope to God the Crowder lined up outside experiment is over.  It didn't work real well, and it's not going to work.  He doesn't have the burst or size to get off the line against starting CBs.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Thanks 1

Doctson was beating defenders deep various times last season.  His goal for 2018 should be consistency.  He dropped too many passes and disappeared from too many games.  2017 played out like a rookie year for him which is understandable, but he needs to turns those flashes into more solid production.

Even with the addition of Richardson (which I really do like), the WR core is still going to rely on Doctson taking the next step.  After all, he was a 1st round draft pick, which in general should be the ones leading said unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Probos said:

There potential for potential.  That's it.  Can't count on Reed.  Doctson had some flashes last year but still a question mark.  Richardson,...one decent year, looks good on the surface but,..we'll see.  Crowder is probably the one the team can count on the most to be consistent.  I realize Smith is a solid vet QB, but it's gonna take some time to gel with the receivers.  The RB situation is still a giant question mark as well, so, at this point I see the offense taking a step back initially for the upcoming season.

So far the team is worse than when free agency started.  I know it's not over yet, and still have the draft coming up, but I don't know how anyone can be that excited about this team at the present time.  

I’m with you. I’m more deflated this offseason than any other year regarding the potential of this team. I know it’s early in free agency still, but the way the last couple of years have unfolded with how Bruce Allen has handled Cousins and McCloughan, I find Allen to be utterly incompetent executive. I have no faith that he knows what he’s doing and the only thing he seems to be good at is not overpaying players. I think at this point, even with the draft, 7 wins is optimistic. I’m actually kind of hoping for an implosion to force Snyder to fire Allen and hopefully bring in some real decision makers.

I'll catch flak for it, but I don't give a ****.  Kinda bummed about Ryan Grant moving on.  Don't get it twisted, I'm not arguing that the Skins should have signed him for what he got from the Ravens.  Grant was absolutely right to take that money and laugh to the bank.

Even with the addition of Richardson, our receiving corps still has a lot to prove.  Don't need to rehash what happened last year but there was enough opportunity for Grant to step up and catch 45 balls for 573 yards and 4 touchdowns.  That's some pretty good production for a 3 or 4 receiver and I like to think he could possibly have matched that in 2018.  

• Like 1

How long are we going to continue with Jordan Reed being injury prone? 

I see this season where we need to get the most value out of him by trading him for a 2nd round pick, maybe in the draft.  We could draft a TE, Hayden Hurst or Mike Gesicki, and give Alex Smith a potentially more dependable TE option while they play behind Vernon Davis while he ages. Also, it could be the best of both words as both are better blockers than Jordan Reed and can develop under Alex Smith's arm.

I am losing my patience with Jordan Reed. He is such a big part of our offense and relying on his health will shoot us in the foot every season.  

Richardson adds the speed element, but I believe I read that he’s not necessarily much for separating.  That concerns me with Smith at qb.  Still, he’s a solid addition.  Speed, may be a decent blocker, and known for helping on broken plays... all things that can help us.  Looking forward to seeing him in action.  

Glad Quick is back too.  He’s not a world beater, but he’s a solid vet that gives us some insurance if the young guys don’t step up and/or if Doctson is injured.  

Still have hope for Doctson, but the guy I want to see emerge is Robert Davis.  That would be a huge help.  

Also think that we don’t necessarily need a stud, but solid options that can make occasional big plays.  Maybe we have that now.  If we do, Reed/Crowder/Thompson/Davis will be in a better position to succeed, and will help draw coverage from the outside guys.  

We need a blocking TE, yes, and Sprinkle may be that guy, but... I really want to add an all around TE.  A guy that you can leave on the LOS or send out as a legit weapon.  There’s a decent chance we will want to move on from Davis and Reed next year, so we also need a guy to develop for the future.  

A back that is a weapon in both the ground and pass game would be a big help as well.  Love Thompson, but we need more of a threat on 1st and 2nd downs.  

Essentially, we’ve got some good players, and some decent potential.  Really want to wind up with a balanced offense that can succeed regardless of what opposing defenses try to take away.  

*I Think that WR Brian Quick's 'Lack of Opportunities/Production' Stemmed from His 'Newness' to Both Jay's System & The Offensive PlayBook'!

To My 'Old (60-Years) Afrikan Eyes', Quick & Doctson are 'VERY-Similar (in Speed & Abilities)'!

Look(while Quick was a Ram - with Case Keenum at QB):

I Think, with the Addition of Richardson, and with Smith at QB, Our 'Overall Receiving Corps (TEs & RBs Included) is 'a Bit More Dynamic & Explosive (with Jay 'Dialing **** Up') Than 'at FIRST-Glance'!?!

*The Vikings are Going to SOON Learn that Cousins was 'a Product of The Jay Gruden System (NOT 'the OTHER WAY Around')!

Watch QB Alex Smith ('a More Athletic & Experienced NFL QB') 'BALL-OUT', under Jay!!!

• Like 1