Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

3 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

This all means nothing without a good running game. We need a Kamara or a Fournette - hell even an Ajayi would do. As it stands we break nothing and we're predictable as hell.

a good LG and a stud RB and the receivers don't need to be amazing.

Agreed. We need a running game, but that's a different thread. On the other hand, it is fair to analyze whether our receivers are good run blockers. I'd say Sprinkle shows potential, but Davis and Reed aren't good. Doctson has the size to be effective. I think Crowder is willing, but isn't that effective. Richardson? I have no clue if he can block or is willing to.

Mo Harris blocked pretty well. Robert Davis has the size and speed, but again, we have zero evidence that he can be an effective blocker at this level in the regular season.

We don't have a single #1 receiver here. Our WR corps consists of 2's and 3's. Our star tight end can't stay healthy and our pass catching RB is hurt. Alex Smith had young and explosive probowlers for weapons in KC, we got JAGs or injury proned players. He went from the penthouse to the outhouse by choosing to come here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I want one more receiver outside of richardson someone that can produce and make the catch on 3rd and 8....someone reliable i honestly dont trust any of these guys to make that catch except reed and hes often injured. Please dont say Ryan Grant

I totally agree..having a group of “promising” talent instead of proven players isn’t enough to get all excited about!!..I know the draft is a crap shoot but other teams seem to find those diamonds in the ruff,it just would be great for a change that we end up finding ours-I mean we draft a receiver in the first round and here it is going on his third season to see if he was even worth the pick yet(and don’t tell me it takes up to three years to see if a player develops or not because being picked in the first,he should damn near be a plug,play and ready to produce type of player)..I’m really hoping that we find the talent that we so desperately need in this upcoming draft-on both sides of the ball!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

We don't have a single #1 receiver here. Our WR corps consists of 2's and 3's. Our star tight end can't stay healthy and our pass catching RB is hurt. Alex Smith had young and explosive probowlers for weapons in KC, we got JAGs or injury proned players. He went from the penthouse to the outhouse by choosing to come here.

Yes we do, it's Doctson, 1st round pick who will step up with Smith tossing him the pill....believe it. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I can see that too. Yours is the cup half-empty view. Mine is the cup half-full view.

We certainly have more questions than answers, but I think/hope you are being a little overly negative.

Half full here too....picture Doc going up and getting the ball since AS throws to him more than KC would. Reed healthy with CT changes everything. Richardson is a great addition, Doctson another year wiser and better, with Robert Davis feeling more comfortable too. I think JG is high on Davis...and who knows who else steps up or we go out and get through FA or the draft.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Dam that's a lot of money for Richardson.. What's Crowder thinking since he's doing throughout his career, what Richardson did last year? Can we afford Crowder now??

$8 mil/yr for 5 years is not that expensive at all, especially now with how high the salary cap is.  Especially for a #2 WR that had better stats than Sammy Watkins last season, who was a #1 WR and just got replaced by Cupp........and still will be paid $16 mil/yr for 3 years by Kansas City.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If Reed is healthy next year it changes everything, it's a big if but Reed, Richardson, and Crowder could be a solid group of young pass catchers.

There’s a greater chance of me convincing Danica to leave Aaron and elope with me than Reed playing 16 games.  

Mostly because I’m already married....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There’s a greater chance of me convincing Danica to leave Aaron and elope with me than Reed playing 16 games.  

Mostly because I’m already married....

I hate it when I can't disagree with someone's reply. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurgundyBooger said:

By getting traded here*

I don't know enough about Richardson to know how much help he'll be but the last years receiving corps was unhealthy and surprisingly unproductive for a squad with a 4K passer.  The WRs didn't carry their share of the load.  The tight ends, running backs and slot receiver did the heavy lifting.  Pryor was a waste of time and money.   Doctson showed some flashes in his first season on the field, let's hope he takes a big step up in 2018.

I want to be optimistic, I really do and maybe the Skins will have better luck with injuries but this team needs a blocking TE and a beast in the center of the OL to get a running game going to help out Smith and the receivers.  The Skins have been way too dependent on the pass during the Cousins era and need to add a stronger run game to help Smith succeed in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I want one more receiver outside of richardson someone that can produce and make the catch on 3rd and 8....someone reliable i honestly dont trust any of these guys to make that catch except reed and hes often injured. Please dont say Ryan Grant

we had him, he's in San Fran now

forgive me. I loved Pierre.

Edited by Redskin21502

So Grant signed with Baltimore . Why didn't we try to keep him like we did most of our guys . I dont understand letting grant go and we sign Richardson  who didn't have good year till last year.  Should we attempt Jordy or get someone in draft?

Edited by chris_c_19960

29 minutes ago, chris_c_19960 said:

So Grant signed with Baltimore . Why didn't we try to keep him like we did most of our guys . I dont understand letting grant go and we sign Richardson  who didn't have good year till last year.  Should we attempt Jordy or get someone in draft?

Did you see the contract he got? No way Grant is worth that. He's an average possession WR.

I think the hope is Doctson develops into a #1 and Reed stays healthy. If that happens, we're okay at receiver. Richardson is a good speedy #2 and Crowder can play in the slot. Still have Davis as another TE threat and Thompson can catch out of the backfield too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Did you see the contract he got? No way Grant is worth that. He's an average possession WR.

I think the hope is Doctson develops into a #1 and Reed stays healthy. If that happens, we're okay at receiver. Richardson is a good speedy #2 and Crowder can play in the slot. Still have Davis as another TE threat and Thompson can catch out of the backfield too.

Agree but IMO can we really expect reed to stay healthy all year? Great TE when on field but has to do just that. As for Davis IDK I think its time to start addressing TE position. We have Reed and Sprinkle  and Paul but Davis is another >1 from career  Carrier signed with Raiders.  I just thought we would resign one of our own before signing Richardson. See what happen 

Good thread, OP.

Potential does not equal production.  Right now we really don't have a proven #1 receiver on the roster.  We need to stop playing around and go get Jordy Nelson.  We need talent to compete, Philly won the super bowl with their backup QB.

I expect injuries, but how fast is Richardson, really?

To me, Richardson was the one we really needed.  A good receiving core is not just 4 good players that are all well rounded athlethes, because to get that you have to pay a fortune.  So the question is, how do you build a good receiving core for less?  Simple, you get a balance of guys who are good at different things, but not good at other things.  You get a big possession type guy to win the jump balls(Doctsons type), but who maybe lacks some speed.  You get a great underneath guy whos shifty in traffic, but not very big(Crowders type), but in order to open up the space for the two of them, you get the speedster that takes the top off and keeps the safeties honest, but again lacks the hands, jumping ability, or size of others(Richardsons type).  With all of them its much harder for defenses, without 1 of them its much easier to handle.  

Take a 3 WR set with Reed and Thompson, Richardson means either teams will have to try and cover him 1 on 1 with a corner(meaning open deep balls), or drop a safety deep to double him.  If the D plays 2 safeties back it opens up our running game.  If they keep them back, and drop 7, that leaves 2 corners, 2 LBers and a safety to cover Doctson, Crowder, Reed and Thompson.  The other safety will then likely be responsible for deep on his side, meaning unless Doctson goes deep, both him and Crowder will get single coverage on shorter routes, and Reed and Thompson will both be single covered by LBers.

It also likely helps Doctsons progression, as now hes not THE receiving threat, meaning it takes some of the pressure off of him and gives him some easier coverage, because teams would rather give up 15 yards than 80.

• Like 1

I don’t know much about Richardson but speed in the NFL doesn’t work that way. Just because he is fast doesn’t mean he will be wide open.

Now, Desean...that mutha****er was fast. He was a guy who would be wide open. Guys like that don’t come often.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Funny how the roles have reversed, and now OTHER teams are overpaying for OUR players.

Cousins

Breeland

Grant

Not sure Cousins and Breeland are overpayed.

Grant most likely, but as Camenker said in his article (that you can find in BHBRN) he's gonna work his ass off to prove everyone's wrong and that he's worth it.

Now, I know someone that probably had a beer on Grant going to the Ravens, don't you @Voice_of_Reason? :ols:

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He was average here, that doesn't mean he's not going to live up to his new contract with the Ravens, time will tell.