Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I find it impressive that Kirk put up 4000 yards with (mainly) this same WR core. It says good things. That said, I do have fears about every player.

Doctson. I see this guy and I get fears of Devin Thomas. Gifted guy who has the ability to be a number 1 and possibly take over a game and be a QBs best friend, but the injuries, the drops, the questions about his focus, etc. He's a guy with all the potential in the world but until its realized its just potential.

Crowder. In 2016 I loved this guy and saw so much from him that I was sure he could take over the role as Kirk's main target. He had flashes in 2017 but was mainly inconsistent. And this is not even bringing up his punt returning. But the fumbles? Man that Dallas game? How sure are we that he's over that? I hope we don't see another regression.

Richardson. This is a pickup I like, but he has an injury history. Hopefully thats in the past but even when he played he wasn't the 20 targets guy. He called himself a Desean Jackson type WR and that has the potential of opening up the offense, but what happens if he's not? Jackson was like Reed in the injury department. Jackson didn't block, and even when Jackson was running his deep routes he had to get the chemistry with Cousins because he was getting overthrown a lot.

Harris. This guy has been my man-crush for years. But how long can that man-crush last? Why was Grant playing over him last year. Its easy to say its because of Gruden's love for Grant, but what if Harris wasn't practicing well? i know Harris was hurt in camp, but what's holding up his developmet?

Davis. I loved him in the draft and everything I read about him was good. But he was a 7th rounder and so we have to question why that was. Plus he played like 2 snaps and got hurt (I think it was a concussion). Is he recovered and how much did how he plays contribute to it?

Quick. Honestly, I don't understand the praise for this guy. He's a big guy who's fast and made some plays in the Seattle game but otherwise was just a guy last year. I can say that a lot of that is because of Grant getting playing time, but like Harris, what if Grant was just better?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Dink and Dunk will be back, baby! 5 guys running 30 yard routes to get 4 yards down field, will be so us. 

Don't look down on the short pass. Patriots won a whole lot of Superbowls with dink and dunk and four yard passes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Don't look down on the short pass. Patriots won a whole lot of Superbowls with dink and dunk and four yard passes.

100% agree. It's at the root of the modern game. 3rd and 2 is a passing down.

Dare I think the timing of the rule changes favoring passing/WRs coincided nicely with Bellichek taking full advantage of them.

@Thinking Skins Doctson is better than Devin Thomas EVER was. for one, he's had more TDs with us than Devin Thomas did, and probably ever caught in the entire NFL. as for Crowder, I think this season was just a down year for him. He was good in 2015 and 2016. Plus, wasn't he nursing that hamstring injury for like, half the season? If he continues to regress this upcoming season then I'll start worrying.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Thinking Skins Doctson is better than Devin Thomas EVER was. for one, he's had more TDs with us than Devin Thomas did, and probably ever caught in the entire NFL. as for Crowder, I think this season was just a down year for him. He was good in 2015 and 2016. Plus, wasn't he nursing that hamstring injury for like, half the season? If he continues to regress this upcoming season then I'll start worrying.

Both had their passion questioned and both were extremely talented wrs. I'm not talking about a tit for tat comparison, just saying some fears. 

And whatever the reason for Crowder's dropback, he did have a worse season, so we have legit reason to question if he will rebound or continue to decline. 

But i made a more optimistic post about the running game, and it's not like i don't see positive sides in this, but I'm more unsettled about our wrs than i think most are. Likewise in more calm about our running game than most i think our wrs are better than our rbs but since our offense is more pass heavy, lack of production from our wrs hurts our team more. 

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So the locks are

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

After that, there's more "Crowdering" and probably anyone's guess.

In no particular order...

Quick

Harris

Davis

Quinn

Plus Fields, Holder and Pierson.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So the locks are

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Quick

Harris

Davis

Quinn

They only need 2 out of those 4 plus whoever else, I like this group. 

5 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

They only need 2 out of those 4 plus whoever else, I like this group. 

If we believe in four receiver sets I'd keep six.

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Harris

Davis

Quinn

I reserve the right to develop a draft crush though. I've liked Harris for a while, but while he has sticky hands he hasn't yet become a real contributor. I think he needs to take that next step. Davis flashed nicely in the preseason games. I'd like him to get a shot too.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If we believe in four receiver sets I'd keep six.

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Harris

Davis

Quinn

I reserve the right to develop a draft crush though. I've liked Harris for a while, but while he has sticky hands he hasn't yet become a real contributor. I think he needs to take that next step. Davis flashed nicely in the preseason games. I'd like him to get a shot too.

I like them all, just wanna see who out of the four rises to be the top 2, I like this other guy we just picked up UDFA Fields

#Redskins signed Colorado WR Shay Fields. Front office excited to land him. Had 9 TDs in 2016, 35 inch vertical.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 7:43 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

So the locks are

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Quick

Harris

Davis

Quinn

All I'm going to say is this. Everyone should find this list "underwhelming". There is literally no one on this list that gives anyone a reason to fear the passing game. Crowder is the only guy that has done anything, and last year he took 2 steps back. Everyone else is completely invisible. This is a position group that lacks any kind of firepower. :(

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

All I'm going to say is this. Everyone should find this list "underwhelming". There is literally no one on this list that gives anyone a reason to fear the passing game. Crowder is the only guy that has done anything, and last year he took 2 steps back. Everyone else is completely invisible. This is a position group that lacks any kind of firepower. :(

I think this group will surprise some people. Should be quite a bit better than the group that suited up last year.By the way, I am pretty sure Richardson’s numbers last year were comparable or better than Crowder’s. Richardsons 4-4 speed can’t hurt either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

I think this group will surprise some people. Should be quite a bit better than the group that suited up last year.By the way, I am pretty sure Richardson’s numbers last year were comparable or better than Crowder’s. Richardsons 4-4 speed can’t hurt either.

Not sure how much of a super star you need. Jay schemes players open as well. Crowder a little knicked up last year, no speed outside at all, and between Doctson and Reed one of them is gonna be healthy this season. Match that up with Smith's mobility. I think this offense could be very effective.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 5:50 AM, Thinking Skins said:

I find it impressive that Kirk put up 4000 yards with (mainly) this same WR core. It says good things. That said, I do have fears about every player.

Doctson. I see this guy and I get fears of Devin Thomas. Gifted guy who has the ability to be a number 1 and possibly take over a game and be a QBs best friend, but the injuries, the drops, the questions about his focus, etc. He's a guy with all the potential in the world but until its realized its just potential.

Crowder. In 2016 I loved this guy and saw so much from him that I was sure he could take over the role as Kirk's main target. He had flashes in 2017 but was mainly inconsistent. And this is not even bringing up his punt returning. But the fumbles? Man that Dallas game? How sure are we that he's over that? I hope we don't see another regression.

Richardson. This is a pickup I like, but he has an injury history. Hopefully thats in the past but even when he played he wasn't the 20 targets guy. He called himself a Desean Jackson type WR and that has the potential of opening up the offense, but what happens if he's not? Jackson was like Reed in the injury department. Jackson didn't block, and even when Jackson was running his deep routes he had to get the chemistry with Cousins because he was getting overthrown a lot.

Harris. This guy has been my man-crush for years. But how long can that man-crush last? Why was Grant playing over him last year. Its easy to say its because of Gruden's love for Grant, but what if Harris wasn't practicing well? i know Harris was hurt in camp, but what's holding up his developmet?

Davis. I loved him in the draft and everything I read about him was good. But he was a 7th rounder and so we have to question why that was. Plus he played like 2 snaps and got hurt (I think it was a concussion). Is he recovered and how much did how he plays contribute to it?

Quick. Honestly, I don't understand the praise for this guy. He's a big guy who's fast and made some plays in the Seattle game but otherwise was just a guy last year. I can say that a lot of that is because of Grant getting playing time, but like Harris, what if Grant was just better?

Not sure how gifted Devin Thomas was as it relates to the WR position. He could run fast in a straight line but he didn't have a whole lot else going on for him. Doctson is a much better prospect if he can stay healthy. 

7 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

I agree.  This is a YOUNG group that has upside.  I don't think this team is going to need Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.  It would be nice to have obviously, but this WR group is one I have an odd level of confidence in for some reason.  I like our depth too and the potential development of some of the back end guys.  Robert Davis and Simmie Cobbs Jr have me really intrigued... I don't see us having any pro-bowlers on the outside, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking back in the offseason and saying we had 3 WR over 750 yards, and at least 1 of them has double digit TDs.  

Thats not even including what the TEs do. 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I agree.  This is a YOUNG group that has upside.  I don't think this team is going to need Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.  It would be nice to have obviously, but this WR group is one I have an odd level of confidence in for some reason.  I like our depth too and the potential development of some of the back end guys.  Robert Davis and Simmie Cobbs Jr have me really intrigued... I don't see us having any pro-bowlers on the outside, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking back in the offseason and saying we had 3 WR over 750 yards, and at least 1 of them has double digit TDs.  

Thats not even including what the TEs do. 

I know this thread is about the receiving corps but I am expecting pretty big things overall from the passing game.Hopefully, Guice and Thompson add some good numbers,as well as the TEs. As someone stated above with Gruden’s schemes and Smith’s mobility there is potential for a very good aerial game.

Edited by Tarpon75
  • Like 1

At least Devin Thomas had a 100 yd receiving game, something Josh has yet to do.

i hope I’m wrong but I’ve about given up on Doctson. Bottom line, he just seems too soft for the league.

4 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I know this thread is about the receiving corps but I am expecting pretty big things overall from the passing game.Hopefully, Guice and Thompson add some good numbers as well as the TEs. 

I think it's all tied together.  Thompson is a hybrid who is going to be a MAJOR part of our passing game this year.  

• Like 1

On paper, our WR corp is average; no studs no duds. There are plenty teams with less talent, but there are plenty with more. Above paper talent, my concern is that literally all of our starting pass catchers aside from Crowder, are injury-prone... 

I like our depth a lot and wouldn't mind seeing Davis, Harris, or Quinn get some snaps if Doctson's mystery injury acts up again or if Crowder still has the fumbleitis. We need to cut Quick; he's avg-at-best, there's no upside with him.

Edited by CTskin

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It will definitely be a RB and TE heavy passing game. 

We could really use a WR1. Our WR’s aren’t going to inspire fear in any secondary. 

Don’t think there’s any need to inspire fear to have an average to better than average receiving group.This group is capable of being effective. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Jay's offense is is very well designed from a passing game standpoint. We had no standout receivers last year outside Thompson until he got injured. Yet our QB still had over 4000 and 27 TDs. If they are just the same as last year, something I would consider well below average, we will be fine from a passing standpoint. What will help that will be an improved running game. It will make our QB and passing game in general better. 

To me, the floor is last year which will suffice. The ceiling is that this could be a really excellent group. Crowder rebounds. Quinn is as advertised. Doctson begins to really reach his potential. Richardson provides the deep threat. Davis,Harris, and whoever else provide timely catches. 

So to me, more than personnel, a better run game will help the passing game be even better. 

• Like 3