Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Hes a great fit in our system - good arm, accurate and mobile. Throws on the run very well. He had a reputation as a checkdown guy but he’s pushed the ball down the field more under Andy Reid.

He's a great fit after the ball is snapped.

Pre-snap, Gruden's offense hamstrings Smith's leadership at the LOS. 

That can be adjusted though. 

Sees the tweet about the 4 year extension

https://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif[/img]

Why?! 3 years older than Cousins, I can't imagine it's going to be significantly cheaper than what Cousins is going to get, for a guy with far less upside than Kirk has. No. Just no. God now I'm really worried about what we gave up to get him. 

Unless we do some contract finagling where we can get out of this after 2 years because we draft a "QB of the future" this is just a dumpster fire.

Unlike some, I wouldn't call Alex Smith an upgrade over Cousins.  More like a wash.  They are similar, but each guy is better at certain things. However, Alex Smith does come at a much cheaper price then what it would have taken to retain Cousins for a LTD.

We need to find out what player is involved in the trade and what draft pick.

So Alex Smith now being locked up for 5 seasons, you can go after his replacement slowly, doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. Could be a mid-rounder that can be groomed. 

Redskins need to fix the damn running game ASAP and keep working on the defense. 

I'd take Alex Smith at $17 million over Kirk Cousins at $34 million every day of the week and anyone suggesting differently is simply fibbing.

I would take Kirk at $22 million over Alex at $17 million though given he knows the offense.   But, frankly, smith has had a better career, has better mobility, was considered a far better NFL prospect and performed exceptionally well as a game manager with the lowest QB ranking 7 years being 89.1, his first year in KC.   we'd be fine with him at the perceived cost of Kirk.  And as a stopgap to the next great wonder.

Hell, maybe bring RGIII back to back him up :).

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Uh...that’s not how NFL contracts work.

But you knew that.

I did know that because I’ve argued as much regarding how kirks contract won’t kill us as well if he doesn’t live up to it. 

I’m just saying. We wouldn’t commit to a young and much better version of this guy but we can commit to a 34yr old Alex smith for 5 years? Ok

Smith is a fine fit for Grudens system.

But factor in that they extended him AND dealt at least a 2nd rounder for him...****. 

Not paying a younger Kirk $6-8M more per year is really worth a 2nd round pick+???

This basically means Kirk's agent told the Redskins to go **** themselves and they knew using a tag for a 3rd straight year would make them a laughing stock. I mean they wouldn't pay him but gave him over $70M in a 3 year period instead, crippling their cap the whole time? They'd be ****ing clowns if they did that. 

That's the only explanation. Bruce and Jay know they have to make the playoffs to keep their jobs so they make this stupid trade. 

We suck. Even though in normal circumstances Alex Smith would be a good fit for this offense, we paid too much (if true) to save not enough on a downgrade from Cousins. 

Going to wait until more info is out there.  Not thrilled to see the report of a 2nd round pick, and a 4 year deal is sort of vague the way NFL contracts are written.

Is it really a 4 year deal or 2 years, and then you will most likely be cut.

Archived