Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your 2018 Redskins Predictions

88Comrade2000

I predict that the Redskins will finish where they have been the last few years, between 7-9 wins.  I think that this is our ceiling/best case scenario if we have no injuries.  Of course, this means that we have to hope that the NFC next year is not as tough as it was this year, or we'll be on the outside looking in.  If we finish with 7 wins or less, I suspect that Dan will finally pull the trigger and can both Bruce and Jay (especially after Kirk takes his next team to the playoffs).

As for the rest of the division, The Eagles will finish 1st place naturally, but my big prediction is that Dallas will get between 10-12 wins, and be back in the hunt in the NFC.  To complete the misery of Redskins fans, next year, Dallas will make the leap, and make it to the NFC Championship game as a wild card.  With this accomplishment, that will leave only the Redskins and Lions as the only teams to not make a conference championship game in the last 30 years.

6 hours ago, SprintBomb said:

I'm giving Alex Smith more credit than a 4-6 win season

Well it all depends on the supporting cast.  If you gave Smith the exact same roster as Cousins had I think he does a lot worse.  Hopefully Bruce Allen will give him at least a RB in addition to some more offensive linemen and a WR or two.  A defense that could manage to get off the field on 3rd down would be nice too.

With Alex Smith I have hope just because it is something different whereas with Kirk, we had a solid three years of consistent mediocrity. With that said, the team as a whole is pathetic and I expect nothing more than the 7-9 win season and at the rate we have been going the last three years, we might only win 6 games.

Do guys like Theismann ever feel shame? This guy (any many like him), are always so positive. Nothing the Redskins do is bad and everything is good. Even if they have to flip flop opinions.

First it was Kirk is a great QB and the Redskins will sign him. Then when we sign Smith, he is happy that we can put everything behind us and this is good for the Redskins. Every year he thinks we are going to be good and every player we have is special. I hate commentary like that and positive opinions every year is annoying as  hell. Especially when the team is clearly bad and has been for decades.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

With Alex Smith I have hope just because it is something different whereas with Kirk, we had a solid three years of consistent mediocrity. With that said, the team as a whole is pathetic and I expect nothing more than the 7-9 win season and at the rate we have been going the last three years, we might only win 6 games.

I agree with the first part. I also have hope that the change will be good, but also realise that I'm falling into Bruce and Dan's trap. They ****ed up by not signing Cousins to a LTD and are hoping that fans will be appeased by the Smith signing. Even though I know this, I still feel hope for the future (damn my optimistic nature).

I don't agree that the team (players) are pathetic. It's kinda become a bit of a cliche' to mention the injuries, but they were a big factor in our overall record IMO. I still think that we're a 9-7 team and if (and it's a big ****ing IF) we can hit on a few draft picks and FA's, we could get to 10-6. It still might not be enough to win the division, but maybe just enough to get a wild card.

9 hours ago, c slag said:

Since Philadelphia won the super bowl they play the opening Thursday night game 

So we allready know Redskins will have a different week one opponent this season 

You don’t think the league will choose to have us play the eagles for that game? I could see us facing them for week 1. After all, we did face the giants in 2008 coming off their super bowl win. 

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You don’t think the league will choose to have us play the eagles for that game? I could see us facing them for week 1. After all, we did face the giants in 2008 coming off their super bowl win. 

I'm sure that would be possible I just feel like Philadelphia will open against a team that made the playoffs last season 

However you may be correct and what a way to spoil a super bowl party if Redskins upset them at home 

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Philly plays Minnesota at home, so I can see them scheduling a rematch of the NFCCG for the opening game. But the Eagles playing a division opponent is always a possibility.

After the season the NFL had with regards to ratings, I definitely see the league scheduling a division opponent for the Eagles for that Thursday night kickoff.  I don't think the league wants to take any chances with ratings, so I would guess the Cowboys would get that kickoff spot, and a close 2nd would be a tie between the Redskins/Giants.  I don't think the Vikings have the pull ratings wise, even though the Vikings-Eagles played in the NFCCG.

One of these years we have to be the pleasant surprise. We had a chance to be a good team this year, but injuries ruined that. We got draft picks and cap space and a long term solution at qb... so... 11-5, we end up against kirk and the vikings in the playoffs when kirk inexplicably takes a knee in the final seconds of the fourth quarter down by two....

It's always hard to predict win totals because what the schedule looks like now, may be very different come week 8 what with teams under and overperforming what was predicted. 

Last year I thought the Skins would be in the 6, 7, or 8 win range. Unless some minor revelation comes along via the draft I have to knock a win off. 

So I guess they'll be 5-11 to 6-10. If they hit 8-8 I'll consider it a pleasant surprise.

I'll wait until I am in a better mood to make a prediction.  I got two conflicting emotions competing for my take.  On one sense I like Alex Smith (albeit I think he's a slight downgrade).  In another sense, there is some 2009 negative vibe so far to this off season.   Feels very apples to apples to me to the end of the Vinny tenure (maybe wishful thinking on my end). :)

Regardless, tough to tell before FA and the draft.   They need to give Alex some weapons.  The way this roster is currently constructed I think its a 7-9 one.  But with some good tweaks, 9-7,10-6 range.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll wait until I am in a better mood to make a prediction.  I got two conflicting emotions competing for my take.  On one sense I like Alex Smith (albeit I think he's a slight downgrade).  In another sense, there is some 2009 negative vibe so far to this off season.   Feels very apples to apples to me to the end of the Vinny tenure (maybe wishful thinking on my end). :)

Regardless, tough to tell before FA and the draft.   They need to give Alex some weapons.  The way this roster is currently constructed I think its a 7-9 one.  But with some good tweaks, 9-7,10-6 range.

Didn't we just go 7-9 this year after being dismantled by injuries? I mean does anyone really think if we had stayed relatively healthy (like most of the teams that were playing in January) that we wouldn't have won 2-3 more games? I feel like I'm the only one who remembers how good of a football team we looked like in the early portion of the season, prior to the injury bug hitting hard.

Im predicting 7-9.  Now obviously its a way to the start of the season, so the draft and FA will change things, but our defense, especially if we dont get Brown back will be weaker, our offense will probably be a little worse unless we finally get a running game.  All of that spells more mediocracy at best.

27 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Didn't we just go 7-9 this year after being dismantled by injuries? I mean does anyone really think if we had stayed relatively healthy (like most of the teams that were playing in January) that we wouldn't have won 2-3 more games? I feel like I'm the only one who remembers how good of a football team we looked like in the early portion of the season, prior to the injury bug hitting hard.

I remember it well but this isn't looking like the 2017 team.

Alex verus Kirk

Our best rated PFF player in the secondary is gone

Zach Brown back?

Breeland back?

Galette?

No starting LG on the roster?

I like Smith but I am among the Cooley camp that he's a step down from Kirk albeit not a big step down.  Fuller was our best corner last year.  And there are some indications that Breeland is gone, Galette, maybe Zach, probably both Long and Lauvao and heck there is even a story about Norman might not be back.

So yeah when the buzz is subtract, subtract, subtract, subtract.  I am not pretending that this is the 2017 roster.  I like Vigil but he's not Zach Brown.  Holsey at nickel versus Fuller?  Galette while didn't play a lot was effective when he did play.  Dunbar = Breeland?  You got me.

That's what I mean by I got to see FA play out.  Maybe Zach and Breeland are back.  Maybe they get aggressive?   But for the moment I can't pretend with all of our FAs and the buzz thus far about them -- that we are poised for a better roster or this is the 2017 team.  That needs to be played out for me to have that kind of confidence.

Cliff notes:  we got a lot more FA and potential turnover than the typical off season.  So this IMO is the hardest off season to make apples to apples comparisons to the season that just ended.  I am not saying I am pessimistic.  I am saying I don't know.

30 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I have this horrible feeling 4-12 as well. I feel like Alex Smith is going to be Jeff George 2.0

Yeah I'm not feeling it. Not yet. This has a 2009/2013 feeling. A stellar off-season in terms of  signings and/or draft picks might get me to .500, but since we never have those, I think it'll be a rough one. NFC East will be tougher, and the NYC itself will be a slaughterhouse. Add to that the fact that I believe we play the AFC South, and, well, you get the picture.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I remember it well but this isn't looking like the 2017 team.

Alex verus Kirk

Our best rated PFF player in the secondary is gone

Zach Brown back?

Breeland back?

Galette?

No starting LG on the roster?

I like Smith but I am among the Cooley camp that he's a step down from Kirk albeit not a big step down.  Fuller was our best corner last year.  And there are some indications that Breeland is gone, Galette, maybe Zach, probably both Long and Lauvao and heck there is even a story about Norman might not be back.

So yeah when the buzz is subtract, subtract, subtract, subtract.  I am not pretending that this is the 2017 roster.  I like Vigil but he's not Zach Brown.  Holsey at nickel versus Fuller?  Galette while didn't play a lot was effective when he did play.  Dunbar = Breeland?  You got me.

That's what I mean by I got to see FA play out.  Maybe Zach and Breeland are back.  Maybe they get aggressive?   But for the moment I can't pretend with all of our FAs and the buzz thus far about them -- that we are poised for a better roster or this is the 2017 team.  That needs to be played out for me to have that kind of confidence.

Cliff notes:  we got a lot more FA and potential turnover than the typical off season.  So this IMO is the hardest off season to make apples to apples comparisons to the season that just ended.  I am not saying I am pessimistic.  I am saying I don't know.

Yeah I get that take. There is definitely a fair amount of wait and see. I do have a hunch they are going to pursue an upper-echelon free agent this year, if for nothing else to invigorate the fan base. Definitely get the vibe Jay/Bruce's seats are becoming warmer and they realistically HAVE to make the playoffs this year so wouldn't at all be surprised if we spent money a little uncharacteristically for Bruce's standards this offseason. We shall see.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really dont think this is going to be a team that on the whole takes a massive lurch from the path it was on.

Sure we are changing QB - With Smith I just don't know what to think - I actually think he fits the offense and what Jay wants in a QB and I think Smith will absolutely buy into the system. and I think we look next year to draft the future..... 

But not much else really changes. I think we will look to add one or maybe two WRs - Doctoson will improve with time, Crowder had just an odd year dealing with injuries and ineffectiveness - and Ryan Gruden (grant)  will be back but he will be the No.3/4 guy. What we need is a stretch the field burner and more importantly, we need Jordan Reed to be on the field. 

RB - again the main thing we need here is some degree of health but Chris Thompson is the ideal Gruden / WC back and i like Bibbs as well to push him, I liked Perrine in the draft last year and I think he can improve - but a lot of the woes in the running game can be traced back to the offensive line and the system in general. Where the run game worked best was when you could get Schefif and Williams moving but when they were injured the run game took a huge hit

Offensive line - I think we are in essence making two changes on the offensive line - With Roullier at C ahead of Long and Long or A N Other out at LG in place of whats his face - I hope we go back to feeding the line with mid-round draft picks. 

So overall I don't see a massive overhaul on the offense at all. 

On Defense - There are going to be some changes - I think Breeland will be gone - I think the noises about Norman are essentially noises from talking heads who have nothing else to talk about in February.. Breeland was good and I hate to see him leave but this was kind of a decision made back when we signed Josh Norman to the huge contract. I think Dunbar is an adequate replacement on the other side short term - Although I think he will be pushed by Moreau in year two - But I am not keen on Dunbar in the slot - One possibility would be to have Dunbar and Moreau on the outsides and Norman in the slot. But I think maybe Hosley or AN other (donte Jackson - 2nd round (wishful thinking maybe)  will get a shot it the slot - One thing i would say is I really did not like loosing fuller but that was the price we had to pay and I really dont think the team were rushing to get rid of him... but people will recall that at the end of the 2016/7 season there were posters on here declaring him a bust and we should move on after a rocky rookie season - my point being I have faith someone will step up. 

At OLB we are set and I hope they make a move to extend Smith at some point. I would like him to be more consistent but hey. Then it is a question of depth - and I think they will let the market decide the value of Junior and Murphy and I would expect one of them but not necessarily both to come back. Another thing you have to consider is we are very early on in the process and a  lot of business will get discussed around the scouting combine coming up in a couple of weeks.  But I would hope to see more out of Mr Anderson.. 

On the ILB this might be a different story - I would really like to have Brown back - and given the team and has reportedly spoken to him already says the team have him as a priority but I think free agency will be the draw for him - if he can generate some interest he may be able to draw a price more than the Skins are willing to pay and then I would hope we might look at Smith in the first round (although I just don't see it happening) - One thing I really hope we do not see is a Compton and Foster Who knows it might be the time for Harvey-Clemons to shine ... . 

The DL i do see the need for some Churn but I am not sure they will be looking for a starter and additions will come in the depth 

So all in all I dont see massive change so all in all I kind of see the floor be around 7 wins. 

We have to be better in the division but I think the Eagles will be a force - i can see the Giants rebounding and the Cowboys kind of leveling off as the pain of having that expensive offensive line takes its toll especially when future planning on a year or so for extending Prescot - But if the Boys were to go all in this would be the year to do it .  

Archived