Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your 2018 Redskins Predictions

88Comrade2000

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If that happens, I’d be shocked. 

Angry or disappointed, I'd agree; but definitely not shocked.

Since buying the team Snyder has followed a predictable rotation of going from an unproven offensive guy (Robiskie, Spurrier, Zorn, Gruden) in hopes of finding the next Gibbs to un-retiring an senior citizen coach and ceding full control of personnel (Schotferbrains, Gibbs, Shamahan).

When Gruden comes up short like the other guys because of a lackluster roster, Snyder won't do the sensible thing and look for the next Beathard or Ron Wolf. He will hire a big name over the hill coach and give him full roster control.

10 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Angry or disappointed, I'd agree; but definitely not shocked.

Since buying the team Snyder has followed a predictable rotation of going from an unproven offensive guy (Robiskie, Spurrier, Zorn, Gruden) in hopes of finding the next Gibbs to un-retiring an senior citizen coach and ceding full control of personnel (Schotferbrains, Gibbs, Shamahan).

When Gruden comes up short like the other guys because of a lackluster roster, Snyder won't do the sensible thing and look for the next Beathard or Ron Wolf. He will hire a big name over the hill coach and give him full roster control.

I think more shocking because I don’t Bill C. would go for it, more than Snyder trying. He has nothing to prove and everything to tarnish.

I always thought he was an average HC with an awesome roster.  

We do know that Dan has been fascinated by him in the past.  

Who knows. 

On a related topic, Im shocked nobody has lured Jimmy Johnson out of retirement to be an Exec.  He was really HC in name only, he really was the GM of those cowboy teams.  He did some coaching but the coordinators really did the coaching.

I think Cousins leaves, the team goes 6-10, Gruden is given another year based on the excuse of losing his top QB.  We fire the DC as a scapegoat as the defense is slightly improved but still below league average.

Somethings will change, everything will stay the same.

After seeing on Twitter that Josh Norman (and a few other NFL players such as Emmanuel Sanders) will be at an NFLUK thing next week, I’m predicting we’ll have a London game next season. Although i could very well be wrong, cause it was reported during the season that the Goodell wants to get the final 6 teams over to London that haven’t been there before. but we’ll find out at 3:45 tomorrow afternoon when the London games are announced. We do face the jaguars away, so it would make sense. 

On 12/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough to tell.  But I like this team when healthy especially if you add a couple of weapons on offense.

If Kirk is back, 11-5.

If Kirk is gone, 4-12

The team is heavily Qb dependent right now so if you take out the key cog, it all falls apart.  Should be one of the most interesting off seasons ever.

My thoughts exactly.  With Kirk the Skins finish 11-5, compete for division and make the playoff.  Without Kirk a 4-12 implosion and reboot.

I also think signing or not signing Kirk will have a big impact on ticket sales.  I think the individual and corporate demand for Redskins tickets is going to take a hit this coming year with or without Kirk but there will be a major drop-off that will continue and perhaps get worse if Kirk is not on the roster in 2018.  

52 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

My thoughts exactly.  With Kirk the Skins finish 11-5, compete for division and make the playoff.  Without Kirk a 4-12 implosion and reboot.

I also think signing or not signing Kirk will have a big impact on ticket sales.  I think the individual and corporate demand for Redskins tickets is going to take a hit this coming year with or without Kirk but there will be a major drop-off that will continue and perhaps get worse if Kirk is not on the roster in 2018.  

that might be the case but it dpends if Kirk is here on a 1 yr deal or LTD.  

I predict we use our 1st on a QB, and then workout a long term deal by grossly overpaying Kirk to get him to stay here. 

Or perhaps more likely, take a QB in the 7th and then tag Cousins again for 34M.

All after Sudfeld gets his first playoff victory before Kirk.

The front office will do the right thing and let Cousins walk.  In the midst of the p.r. nightmare the Skins will sign a surprise free agent cast-off, who will become the new story.  After a good draft, that sees us move up to select a q.b., training camp will feature a lot of characters and questions while filmed for Hard Knocks.  Half way through the season, with a losing record, Gruden, with the hottest coaching hot seat, gets the ship back on course, and we finish 9-7, one game out of the playoffs.  Cousins finishes with his new team at 8-8, and Gruden and the Redskins are vindicated for not paying a king’s ransom for similar results, giving Cousins the moniker ‘system quarterback’.

I predict thaaaaat Daniel Snyder and Rodger Goodell work out a deal where the NFL will allow the redskins to win the super bowl in trade of Snyder changing the name and building a new stadium with the cost mostly covered by Goodell and the NFL and merchandise sales go through the roof as well as tickets in the new stadium and the where ever whatchamacallit's play in front of a sale out crowd and three years after the stadium opens Snyder hosts a super bowl in his new stadium which the whatchamacallit's play in to win the very first home team Superbowl and during the celebration Snyder attempts to parachute in landing short smashing into the new stadium nearly killing him self than has to sale the team to an organization that turns around and puts the team in the district naming the team the Washington Redskins...no?

10 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I predict thaaaaat Daniel Snyder and Rodger Goodell work out a deal where the NFL will allow the redskins to win the super bowl in trade of Snyder changing the name and building a new stadium with the cost mostly covered by Goodell and the NFL and merchandise sales go through the roof as well as tickets in the new stadium and the where ever whatchamacallit's play in front of a sale out crowd and three years after the stadium opens Snyder hosts a super bowl in his new stadium which the whatchamacallit's play in to win the very first home team Superbowl and during the celebration Snyder attempts to parachute in landing short smashing into the new stadium nearly killing him self than has to sale the team to an organization that turns around and puts the team in the district naming the team the Washington Redskins...no?

The only thing you forgot..............Bruce Allen, while hosting the opening gala for the new stadium, gets a mickey-finn slipped into his drink and is photographed passed out with a drag-queen in a Pocahontas outfit and is blackmailed into retiring immediately?

1 hour ago, dav87sc said:

The only thing you forgot..............Bruce Allen, while hosting the opening gala for the new stadium, gets a mickey-finn slipped into his drink and is photographed passed out with a drag-queen in a Pocahontas outfit and is blackmailed into retiring immediately?

And the drag queen is Vinny Cerrato...?

On 12/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough to tell.  But I like this team when healthy especially if you add a couple of weapons on offense.

If Kirk is back, 11-5.

If Kirk is gone, 4-12

The team is heavily Qb dependent right now so if you take out the key cog, it all falls apart.  Should be one of the most interesting off seasons ever.

I politely disagree.  I think you are over-estimating the ceiling of this team, unless there are serious upgrades in coaching, accountability and talent.  

We agree that the team is completely QB dependent.

I think the absolute top-level ceiling if everybody is healthy (Which Reed and CT have never been), if they add more role-players and depth on defense, etc. is 10-6.  And quite frankly, I don't see that as very likely. 

Also, and I understand that it is REALLY tough to "schedule pick" this early, but we know the home and away opponents already:

Home: (NFC East) Dallas, NYG, Philly (NFC South) Atlanta, Carolina, (NFC South) Houston, Indy (3rd place NFC North) Green Bay

Away (NFC East) Dallas, NYG, Philly (NFC South) New Orleans, Tampa (NFC South) Jacksonville, Tennessee, (3rd place NFC West) Arizona

I'm not a "woe is me, this is a hard schedule" excuse kinda guy.  I honestly don't care if the schedule is hard or not, you're paid to go win games.  Go win games.  

That said, given that it doesn't look like the team has even remotely decided to self-scout and evaluate(I reserve the right to be proven wrong if they make any big moves in FA or otherwise), I'm going to take Jay at his word that they are going to ho-hum it, bring the band back together, and give it another shot.

We were swept by Philly and Dallas.  And split with the NYG.  In order to get to 9-7, you need to at least split the division 3-3.  I guess that's possible.  Though over 4 years, Gruden's record against the NFC East is pretty bad (I tried to look it up, but I can't find it easily, and don't have time to compile it.)

The Saints, Falcons, Carolina, Titans and Jags are all playoff teams.  Including Philly, we play 7 games against 2017 playoff teams. Would the 2017 team do better than 4-3 against those teams fully healthy?  Doubtful.  Probably 3-4, or more likely 2-5.

Green bay will have Rodgers back, most likely.  

All that said, here's my prediction: 

If Kirk is back: 9-7.  Equal to the best year under Gruden in 2015, and a 2 game improvement over 2017.  

If Kirk is gone 

Option 1) McCoy starts: 4-12.  I think McCoy is good enough in Gruden's system to be somewhat effective, and steal 

Option 2) Some rookie is brought in: 2-14.

The FO is trash.  Gruden is an average (at absolute best) HC, who doesn't self scout, isn't going to fire a ST coach who has done nothing over 4 years, isn't going to hire an OC to oversea and have responsibility for the offense, and it doesn't look like they are going to significantly upgrade the roster.

I don't think Gruden did anything to really deserve to get fired because of the injuries, but he also hasn't distinguished himself in the coaching of the football team either.  Bruce is an imbecile.  The only hope is that Doug, in his new role, can convince the rest of these guys that they need less "try hard underdog" guys, and more talented guys.  But I rather doubt that.  

@Voice_of_Reason, it’s not as hard as you think to look up grudens Record against the rest of our division....it’s pretty simple. Here’s what i did: i typed In “redskins 2014 season) and clicked on the Wikipedia page for that. Clicked on schedule. Counted the nfc east games we won and lost. Did the same for the following 3 seasons. 

Overall record is 10-14 (not bad, but could be better). 

Record vs the eagles is 5-3. Pretty good, and if we had won one or both games vs them this season that could have turned into 6-2 or 7-1. 

Record vs the Giants is 3-5. Not bad, but could be better, considering we should have swept them in 2016 and this season. 

Record vs the cowboys is 2-6. Obviously pretty bad. They’re the team Gruden has had the most trouble with, for some reason. 

Took me only 5 minutes to look that up :P you must be a busy man if you don’t have 5 minutes to spare to do that ?

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Voice_of_Reason, it’s not as hard as you think to look up grudens Record against the rest of our division....it’s pretty simple. Here’s what i did: i typed In “redskins 2014 season) and clicked on the Wikipedia page for that. Clicked on schedule. Counted the nfc east games we won and lost. Did the same for the following 3 seasons. 

Overall record is 10-14 (not bad, but could be better). 

Record vs the eagles is 5-3. Pretty good, and if we had won one or both games vs them this season that could have turned into 6-2 or 7-1. 

Record vs the Giants is 3-5. Not bad, but could be better, considering we should have swept them in 2016 and this season. 

Record vs the cowboys is 2-6. Obviously pretty bad. They’re the team Gruden has had the most trouble with, for some reason. 

Took me only 5 minutes to look that up :P you must be a busy man if you don’t have 5 minutes to spare to do that ?

Not directed at you, just building off your comment:

Last year was bad. Lot's of people lost to Philly. They had a great year. Also, I know people like to ignore this but injuries were horrific. Below is the final tally for injuries in terms of # of starter game lost and impact. Redskins were the 8th most injured team and the 5th highest impacted. When you look at the chart, the majority of the teams that made the playoffs also did not have near the in jury problem other teams did. Specifically look at where dallas and philly are. It's not a coincidence. 

When you back out last years 1-5, Jay's teams were a much more respectable 9-9. Still not great but not bad either. It's reasonable to expect that with a few less injuries last years record against the div would show as an anomaly not a trend. We will see. 

image.png.139add6c81989db7996352687a0d2aad.png

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I get that, and that's what I started to do, but I'm at work, had other things to do, and didn't want to spend any time on it.  And yeah, I am actually pretty busy today.

10-14 against the division qualifies as "not bad" in what alternate universe.  That's pretty atrocious.  And most of those wins came against bad Eagles teams.  Except, the Eagles aren't bad anymore.  

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not directed at you, just building off your comment:

Last year was bad. Lot's of people lost to Philly. They had a great year. Also, I know people like to ignore this but injuries were horrific. Below is the final tally for injuries in terms of # of starter game lost and impact. Redskins were the 8th most injured team and the 5th highest impacted. When you look at the chart, the majority of the teams that made the playoffs also did not have near the in jury problem other teams did. Specifically look at where dallas and philly are. It's not a coincidence. 

When you back out last years 1-5, Jay's teams were a much more respectable 9-9. Still not great but not bad either. It's reasonable to expect that with a few less injuries last years record against the div would show as an anomaly not a trend. We will see. 

I'm really getting tired of seeing this graphic. This is not intended as a jab at you, but it's become the #1 reason given for a piss-poor season. Granted it's the most compelling reason I get it, we had injuries. And they had an impact.  In other news, the sun rises in the east, water is wet, and Scarlett Johansson is hot.  

Before the injury bug really hit, we were 2-2.  Granted, with the best win of the season over the Rams.  We lost another opener (that's 4 in a row), and blew a really good chance to beat KC.  

In 2015, without the injuries and better skill position players, they went 9-7.  And won the NFC East (Yippee!) because anything better than 7-9 would have won the division that year, it was so bad.  Also, this is the high-mark of the division record, they were 4-2 (swept the Eagles, split with Dallas and NYG).  

In 2016, without the injuries and with better skill position players, they went 8-7-1.  In the division, they were 3-3.  Again, swept the Eagles, beat the Giants once early, lost to them late in a game to get into the playoffs, and got swept by Dallas.  

In 2017, they ended up 7-9.  1-5 in division, Beat the Giants once, and then lost all of the other games.

This is a TREND. This is not an aberration at this point.  If you could point back to 2015 and 2016 and say, "gee, without the injuries these were 10-win teams" then you could say that 2017 was an aberration.  Without the injuries, we probably would have ended up ... 9-7.  They definitely cost us a game or two, but we also pulled out a game we shouldn't have won in Seattle. 

Thinking otherwise is to forget the definition of insanity.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If we line up the same coaches, the same players (mostly) again next year, we will have, wait for it, the same results.  

Here's the other thing.  The defense might have less talent next year than this year.  Bree is almost certainly gone, and Brown and Foster are both UFAs.  Maybe the combination of Dunny and a few others makes Bree expendable.  But you have no ILBs on the roster as of now who can really start.  

This is an 8-8 team with an 8-8 coach. (Actually, his record isn't .500, but I'm giving him a boost.)  Bruce is a 2-14 quality GM, so I guess they are over-achieving in that regard.  

There's nothing on this team that screams they are even remotely preparing to win a championship.  They're trying to band-aid together a winning season to keep their jobs.  They're not building for 2018, and they're certainly not planning for the future.  They want to rock with what they got, hope they can get to 9-7, 10-6, and that'll be good enough for another year.  At least, that's Bruce's hope.  Jay probably wants to win.  And doesn't realize that he needs to change more than he thinks in order to be a winner.

It's going to be fascinating if Jon comes out this year and wins 10 games with the Raiders, and Jay/Bruce continue to flail away at 7-9-ish.

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get that, and that's what I started to do, but I'm at work, had other things to do, and didn't want to spend any time on it.  And yeah, I am actually pretty busy today.

10-14 against the division qualifies as "not bad" in what alternate universe.  That's pretty atrocious.  And most of those wins came against bad Eagles teams.  Except, the Eagles aren't bad anymore.  

I said it wasn’t bad but i also stated the fact that it could be better. 10-14 is just about mediocre to average, which most people say about jay. Is it a good record? No, but it’s not awful either, which was what I was trying to get at. Also, two of those losses were to the cowboys from their great 2016 season, and even then, we were a play or two away from winning either of those two games. I think that shows that we are on the right track if we continue to improve the defense (not a tough task) and get more reliable players on offense, and sign Cousins. 

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I said it wasn’t bad but i also stated the fact that it could be better. 10-14 is just about mediocre to average, which most people say about jay. Is it a good record? No, but it’s not awful either, which was what I was trying to get at. Also, two of those losses were to the cowboys from their great 2016 season, and even then, we were a play or two away from winning either of those two games. I think that shows that we are on the right track if we continue to improve the defense (not a tough task) and get more reliable players on offense, and sign Cousins. 

See, this is where you and I disagree.  I'll grant you, you said it could be better.  Yes, that's true.  

However, you said that "10-14 isn't bad."  That's wrong.  It is.  Anything below .500 in your division over any length of time is BAD.  Also having only 1 wining division record in 4 years is BAD. Losing 4 straight to Dallas is BAD.    

This isn't average.  This isn't mediocre.  It's BAD.  Definitively BAD.  It's a 41% win record in your division.  That's BAD.  That means, essentially, he's averaging 2-4 every year in the division.  That's BAD.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

Not Average.  Note Mediocre.  BAD.  And to rub salt in the BAD wound, he's had a top 10 QB for 3 of those years.  And still BAD.  BAD BAD BAD.  

^ well compared to the browns record against division opponents, I’ll take 10-14 any day ?? especially knowing we could have been at least 12-14 if our team had shown up against the giants in a “win and you’re in” game, and had our team shown up against a 2-13 Giants team to end the season. Add the fact that we were a play away from beating dallas in week 2 of 2016 (arguably would have won if Kirk doesn’t throw a stupid interception in the end zone). To me at least, that 10-14 record doesn’t FEEL that bad, knowing how close we have been to at least two more wins added on. 

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The FO is trash.  Gruden is an average (at absolute best) HC, who doesn't self scout, isn't going to fire a ST coach who has done nothing over 4 years, isn't going to hire an OC to oversea and have responsibility for the offense, and it doesn't look like they are going to significantly upgrade the roster.

People compare Gruden with Norv but he's actually Spurrier 2.0.

He prefers "his guys" who can't play at an Nfl level over getting actual NFL skill position talent. Has no idea how to use the running game or how to make it work at all in critical situations, and will sabotage his career before opening his eyes to reality. Run blocking scheme is hilariously bad and just wait to see the next QB look like Patrick Ramsay dropping back because he's not going to make decisions as fast as Cousins.

He also makes some funny faces on the sidelines and has the same "oh well we'll get them next time" attitude when he gets thoroughly outcoached.

He's an above average play caller who has already proven beyond doubt in the final 2-3 minutes of halves this past entire season that he's in way over his head and left his snorkel in the locker room

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm really getting tired of seeing this graphic. This is not intended as a jab at you, but it's become the #1 reason given for a piss-poor season. Granted it's the most compelling reason I get it, we had injuries. And they had an impact.  In other news, the sun rises in the east, water is wet, and Scarlett Johansson is hot.  

Before the injury bug really hit, we were 2-2.  Granted, with the best win of the season over the Rams.  We lost another opener (that's 4 in a row), and blew a really good chance to beat KC.  

In 2015, without the injuries and better skill position players, they went 9-7.  And won the NFC East (Yippee!) because anything better than 7-9 would have won the division that year, it was so bad.  Also, this is the high-mark of the division record, they were 4-2 (swept the Eagles, split with Dallas and NYG).  

In 2016, without the injuries and with better skill position players, they went 8-7-1.  In the division, they were 3-3.  Again, swept the Eagles, beat the Giants once early, lost to them late in a game to get into the playoffs, and got swept by Dallas.  

Edit

There's nothing on this team that screams they are even remotely preparing to win a championship.  They're trying to band-aid together a winning season to keep their jobs.  They're not building for 2018, and they're certainly not planning for the future.  They want to rock with what they got, hope they can get to 9-7, 10-6, and that'll be good enough for another year.  At least, that's Bruce's hope.  Jay probably wants to win.  And doesn't realize that he needs to change more than he thinks in order to be a winner.

It's going to be fascinating if Jon comes out this year and wins 10 games with the Raiders, and Jay/Bruce continue to flail away at 7-9-ish.

I am sorry you are tired of seeing that graph but others including myself believe it is very telling. So much so I am adding a few more just for you...  That is meant at least partially as a joke. 

The reason for additional charts is that in 2015 the team was indeed just as injured, maybe more. 2015 was actually worse in terms of man games lost but not as bad in terms of impact. 2016 we had similar man games lost it's just other teams were more injured.  

No one is saying it's the primary we struggled this year. But quite frankly you keep exaggerating things like saying it was "piss poor" season (see 0-16 browns for piss poor). It was not great by any means especially not making the playoffs. But they were 7-9 and still had a legitimate chance at the playoffs until week 14 and until then were pretty competitive. There were some quality wins including the Rams and Seattle - both playoff teams. Is it the thing of champions? Of course not. But while I get it's not the only reason the team struggled it should not minimized. The team was not that far from being pretty good which I why I and others continue to harp on the injuries. 

I do happen to thing had this team not gotten some of the key injuries like to J Allen, Iaonnidis, our ILBs and the Oiline, it would been enough to make the POs. The defense specifically really suffered. They were rounding into a decent group until the injuries started piling up. 

Does that mean they should just stand pat and I expect them to win the SB? Of course not. They need to get another S and another NT for sure. Although I think Perine has more of a chance to develop than many, I would still not have a problem bringing in a FA RB that has had some success. And we of course need better WRs. I believe Doctson will continue to grow and Crowder does his thing but they need one more. And finally it looks like Reed is never playing again. You just can't count on him. That really hurts but need to move on. 

•  
  • I also would like to see them bring in an OC. But some retread like Shula who has been mostly awful throughout his career. Someone up and coming. I do not have any names off the top of my head but I would hope they do. Ideally whoever comes in would have a better plan for the run game. Callahan is good at coaching guys up but it's clear between him and Jay their run concepts and not great. 

Having said that, it's a journey. One made more difficult by the Kirk debacle and injuries. Let's see what thy do in the off season. If they get Kirk signed and make a few solid FA signings and have decent draft - all of which is possible. In fairness they did 2 of 3 last year, Decent draft, signed a few really solid FAs. But tey failed in the #1 priority. 

2015 man game lost

image.png.8cac281cfc37fc3c095adbcc612247de.png

2016 man games lost

image.png.59a9921f6936c5430cc00689231b5ea4.png

22 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^ well compared to the browns record against division opponents, I’ll take 10-14 any day ??

Saying "we're bad, but you're worse!" doesn't make BAD any less BAD.

especially knowing we could have been at least 12-14 if our team had shown up against the giants in a “win and you’re in” game,

But they didn't.  And that's a problem.  

and had our team shown up against a 2-13 Giants team to end the season.

But they didn't.  And that's a problem.  

Add the fact that we were a play away from beating dallas in week 2 of 2016 (arguably would have won if Kirk doesn’t throw a stupid interception in the end zone).

But he did, and we lost.  

To me at least, that 10-14 record doesn’t FEEL that bad, knowing how close we have been to at least two more wins added on. 

It feels bad to me.  Being consistently close and losing is a trend.  The best way to avoid continuing the trend is to admit the trend, analyze it, and then change things.

It's the first step of the 12 step program.  Admitting you have a problem is step 1.

I don't think the team has admitted they have a problem yet.  

Archived