Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your 2018 Redskins Predictions

88Comrade2000

19 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am sorry you are tired of seeing that graph but others including myself believe it is very telling. So much so I am adding a few more just for you...  That is meant at least partially as a joke. 

I was writing this big-long, absolutely perfectly thought out and wonderful post, and then decided to scrap it.

I think the reason that I just honestly don't care about the injuries as much as others, while I acknowledge them, and their impact, is because the team isn't building towards anything,and as you said, it's a journey, but we're not on a journey.

The FO is such total crap that we enter the off-season not knowing what the heck is going to happen with the most important position, without any ILBs on the roster, and probably losing one of the best DBs on the team to FA.  So, we're not building.  Before we can build and get better from where we are, we are going to have to spend the majority of our resources getting back to an above average team.  

And if Kirk leaves, and is not replaced by somebody of his calibre (and minus one of the Minny QBs, there isn't anybody else remotely close available on the market), with the talent we have, we're a 4-12 team.  Our defense isn't near elite, though improved.  Our skill position players are average at absolute best (minus CT, who's great).  Reed might be good, but he doesn't play.  And I'm not going to count on a player who averages 10 games a year over his career.  That's a trend.

So, we're not building.  We're stagnating.  We're band-aiding and kicking the can down the road.  

The 2017 had a cap, if everything broke correctly, at 10-6 and a tough road playoff game.  That was it, that was the best they could possibly have done if EVERYTHING broke their way.  Now we've got to fight to get back to that, and probably won't.  

Let's pretend that the "adjusted record" for the season is 9-7.  I'll grant an adjustment of 2 games for the number of injuries, and not even subtract the Seattle game which we won when we probably shouldn't have.  

In order to get back to that team, we've got to get everybody healthy, re-sign Kirk, re-sign Brown/Foster or find replacements that are as good, and ensure that we're not losing a lot in the secondary with Bree's impending departure.  

Let's say we do all of that.  We're back to average.  Now, to take a step forward, you need a starting RB, starting WR, hope to God Doctson develops, and probably another interior DL.  

What are the odds that the FO is able to accomplish any of that?  I say slim to none.

So we're staring at a 6-10 season to follow the 7-9 season.  Best case based on this FO.

Our FO is not building something.  They aren't capable of doing that.  So we're going to be stuck in either above average to yuck until that changes.  

And the injuries are quite frankly a footnote to a predictably "eh" season.  

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was writing this big-long, absolutely perfectly thought out and wonderful post, and then decided to scrap it.

I think the reason that I just honestly don't care about the injuries as much as others, while I acknowledge them, and their impact, is because the team isn't building towards anything,and as you said, it's a journey, but we're not on a journey.

The FO is such total crap that we enter the off-season not knowing what the heck is going to happen with the most important position, without any ILBs on the roster, and probably losing one of the best DBs on the team to FA.  So, we're not building.  Before we can build and get better from where we are, we are going to have to spend the majority of our resources getting back to an above average team.  

Edit

What are the odds that the FO is able to accomplish any of that?  I say slim to none.

So we're staring at a 6-10 season to follow the 7-9 season.  Best case based on this FO.

Our FO is not building something.  They aren't capable of doing that.  So we're going to be stuck in either above average to yuck until that changes.  

And the injuries are quite frankly a footnote to a predictably "eh" season.  

I get what you are saying and I don;t completely disagree. But to me they are two different conversations:

Conversation #1 - Were they significantly impacted by injuries - I say yes. For me I think thy make the playoffs if a few key guys do not get injured. Would they go far? Who knows. Once in the POs any team can get hot. Also, you keep mentioning that it just gets us to mediocre but the last 3 yrs the team is 9-7, 8-71, and 7-9. That is exactly the definition of mediocre. That's in comparison with one 1-6 season sandwiched in with a bunch of 5 or less win seasons. So the team has moved forward. 

Conversation #2 - Is the current FO capable of doing what is necessary to get the team past mediocre with an occasional PO appearance? I 100% agree there that I have little confidence that they can. Where we clearly disagree is on where the problem lies. I happen to think Jay is a very good coach. I know you strongly disagree and believe he as much a part of the problem as Bruce and Dan are. But hear me out. First, I do not think he 100% innocent. So let's get that out of the way. But where I believe you feel it's pretty evenly split between the 3, I see it as 50% Dan, 45% Bruce and 5% Jay. 

Also, I know some fans believe that Jay and Bruce are seen as a package by Dan (and they could very well be very much correct). I am not so sure. It's purely speculative on my part obviously. But this Kirk thing will tell us a lot. Now it may be wishful thinking but I do not believe Bruce survives Kirk leaving. If he does he will be on a one year prove it deal himself. To that end, as much I disagree wit the direction, I agree with @MartinC that if Kirk walks, Bruce will need to do something big to make up for it. And in his mind the approximate $11M swap for a guy like Alex Smith might be appealing to him. I think it wil end in maybe 6-10 instead of 2-14 so we just get a worse draft pick. But that's just me. 

As far as building something, if they do the right things they could move this thing forward. Now will they? I am in your camp that I highly doubt it. But I prefer to dwell on the positive outcomes as they are our only hope. If it goes the way many of us think it will, oh well it's been like this for 20+ years. It's just another ****ed up year in danny land that I can't change. 

Either way, the next few months will be interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!

So, it appears as though we've had an answer to the biggest question of the off-season: who the heck is going to play QB for this team?  If you voted "Alex Smith!" go buy yourself a cookie!  

We have also re-signed Mason Foster, so we have 1 ILB on the roster WHOOOOPPPPEEEEEE!!!

So, now I pose to you, the extrmest of the extreme fans, what is your outlook on 2018.  

A reminder of the non-divisional teams:

Home: ATL, CAR, HOU, IND, probably GB

Away: TB, NO, TEN, JAX, 3rd place NFCW

I will add a second question, and I'm not sure that it deserves it's own thread, but depending on responses, I might make one later:

If the Redskins manage a season that's been about what they've been for the last 3 seasons (8-8, 7-9, 9-7), should that be enough for Allen or Gruden to keep their jobs? (Granted, everything has context, so who knows HOW they get there, but let's just assume they do.  Because that's what they've proven to be.  

I think 98% of folks out here are ready to fire Allen RIGHT NOW.  (Actually, probably 100%).  What about Jay?  Is that good enough? It might be, because it's better than what we've seen before, which is 5-11 (not so good).

Let's see where people stand now....

EDIT: 

I'm 8-8.  Because that's what the Redskins are until they prove they're not.

And I've come to the conclusion that Jay should not be fired as long as Allen is here.  Even though I think he's at absolute best an average coach, I think Allen choosing the next coach, we end up with Zorn again.  And I will take "meh" Jay over ridiculously idiotic Zorn.  

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, now I pose to you, the extrmest of the extreme fans, what is your outlook on 2018.  

A reminder of the non-divisional teams:

Home: ATL, CAR, HOU, IND, probably GB

Away: TB, NO, TEN, JAX, 3rd place NFCW

I will add a second question, and I'm not sure that it deserves it's own thread, but depending on responses, I might make one later:

If the Redskins manage a season that's been about what they've been for the last 3 seasons (8-8, 7-9, 9-7), should that be enough for Allen or Gruden to keep their jobs? 

6-10.  That schedule is killer.  Alex may want to retire after one season here.

Alex Smith is a definite upgrade. Cousins won't do it when it counts and he had every chance with Garcon and Jackson. Lost too often to BS Dallas teams. I'm with Allen and Snyder. We've got a proven winner for five years if we wish and the guy who was only here to milk us is gone. The guy got a chip on his shoulder and acted like a baby. Wahh, Waahh..I don't understand anyone being upset because the guy was in no way, shape, or form, a true redskin. I understand he did a lot of charity work, but he hasn't been committed to remaining with the football team for a couple years now. So I'm really excited he's gone.

4 wins. Maybe 6 depending on draft and injuries. Enormous pressure on a number of people at the organisation. In a healthy one that is ok - in a disfunctional weirdhouse its a recipe for backstabbing, blame and division.

to win 8 to 10 the leaders need to step up and Gruden needs to seriously improve.

I think in reality we'd like to have seen what Smith would have done with the circumstances Cousins had to deal with last year. I mean they lost Kelce in the Titan game and their offense did nothing.. Well Kirk didn't have Reed the entire year basically, Pryor was a bust, the Oline was hurt everywhere and we were down to our 6th RB by the end of the season..

But lets face it, no one thinks we're gonna go through that kinda string of injuries again. Alex will have probably a healthier roster, more weapons and experience at WR, and probably a better running game than Cousins had in '17. I don't think many fans would believe Smith could duplicate what Cousins did if he was our QB last year 

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better year (maybe 1 or 2 more wins, still no playoffs). But it could be an unattractive form of football we'll play. I mean are we gonna see replays of Smith passing on guys who look open, but instead he checks down. He maintains a solid QB rating etc but it doesn't translate to being a contender..

I still feel we'll go QB in the 1st round and we'll just count the days till whoever it is takes over.. Smith will be ok who doesn't spark excitement. I mean SF fans are still mad they let go of Harbaugh, not Smith, and you don't see KC fans up in arms they got rid of him either..

21 hours ago, wolfsire said:

Alex Smith is a definite upgrade. Cousins won't do it when it counts and he had every chance with Garcon and Jackson. Lost too often to BS Dallas teams. I'm with Allen and Snyder. We've got a proven winner for five years if we wish and the guy who was only here to milk us is gone. The guy got a chip on his shoulder and acted like a baby. Wahh, Waahh..I don't understand anyone being upset because the guy was in no way, shape, or form, a true redskin. I understand he did a lot of charity work, but he hasn't been committed to remaining with the football team for a couple years now. So I'm really excited he's gone.

At this point we can’t possibly know whether Smith will be an upgrade. There are too many factors. 

Still, for me, it seems hard to predict anything but an underwhelming next year with this staff. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

Definitely still a lot to go down with FA and the draft, but my early prediction is 6-10.  We're on the verge of losing Brown and Breeland on top of already losing Fuller.  This D could take a major step back from already being below average, to just downright bad.  If we somehow manage to pick up some decent talent to put around Smith and keep the D together, maybe 8-8.  

On 2/2/2018 at 2:33 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

How about this.  Alex suffers a season ending injury in Week 1 and we ride the season with Colt. WE go 4-12 and Bruce and Jay are fired. 

If Alex Smith suffers an in jury in week 1, then Bruce and Jay are safe for 2019 for sure, as they will blame the injury for anything bad that happens the entire year, and Dan will buy the bull **** story.  

23 hours ago, MariusVT said:

5-11, this team is a dumpster fire as long as Bruce Allen is here.

The 'Skins haven't been that bad for 3 years, and I doubt they get that much worse next year.  I just don't think they'll get any better either.  

14 hours ago, SprintBomb said:

8-8 and local radio will spin it as progress. 

Who on the local radio will spin it as progress?  I can't think of one host would would honestly say that.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who on the local radio will spin it as progress?  I can't think of one host would would honestly say that.  

Sarcasm? If not Grant and Danny would. Especially Grant who earlier this year actually said we a progressing 

Screenshot_20180205-150455.png

4 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Without Cousins this team will be around 4-12 - 6-10.  Unless they upgrade the defense, offensive line, RB, and WR's all in one draft and free agency... lol

Oh, and Bruce Allen is making those selections.

I'm giving Alex Smith more credit than a 4-6 win season

Archived