Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

So who's available for free agent quarterbacks?

Who Can we get in here to backup colt?

Here's what Keim wrote on the matter...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins

With the Redskins needing another quarterback after Alex Smith's injury, there are a handful available. Among the quarterbacks who have worked out for Washington this season: Kyle Allen (currently on Carolina's practice squad), Paxton Lynch, Connor Jessup and Josh Woodrum. Other quarterbacks currently available: E.J. Manuel, Nathan Peterman, Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, T.J. Yates, Matt Moore and Colin Kaepernick.

Not that I think this organization would do it, but I'd be somewhat inclined to sign two QBs. 

Clearly they want at least one Vet QB who has seen NFL action before, played some games, someone who would not fumble the first snap they took. 

Conservative insurance. Personally, when I looked at the list of available free agents, Yates was one of about three who initially popped out at me. 

So, Yates, without the benefit of seeing him tryout, would be the one vet QB for me. Of course the other two that the Org is bringing in (manuel / sanchez) are younger and have less concussion history than Yates. 

But conversely, I then think that there's also an opportunity to try a young QB and see if they could get a jumpstart on the 2019 QB open competition. That lends itself either to Brandon Allen, or Chad Kelly, or even Connor Cook. 

Now you can tryout Kelly without committing to him since he's a free agent. Both Allen and Cook would have to be signed from their respective practice squads. But I honestly don't see how either of those moves are impending pitfalls. I only see possible upside. Even if the players were trash, it's not like cutting them would cost you your shirt. 

I mean, if the season starts to tank, what the hell is there to lose if Kelly or Allen steps in and you find out if you've got a legit NFL QB or not. It's buying a dollar ticket to a jackpot. 

I wanted Allen here during the 2016 draft. He was then coming out of Arkansas, and certainly is now after a few years with McVay, a definite schematic fit. Very likely that the terminology that Allen uses on a daily basis in practice is within realm of the same terminology that Gruden uses. And, btw, Allen was always very efficient and accurate with bootleg. 

But again, I guess I don't see the org doing that. It would be a cool power play if you ask me. Carry three QBs here on out for 2018. I personally lean towards Yates and Allen, then Kelly. 

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Not sure what NFL starting caliber QBs you expected to be sitting by the phone. I reckon we could call Kurt Warners old grocery store, apparently they have a fairly good training program.

Nobody is asking for Joe Montana to come through the door, but if you're not going to get someone with decent upside like Kaepernick why not take a chance on someone on a practice squad instead of this proven trash currently in Ashburn?

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't care for any of the QBs that are working out but it is what it is.  With the tweet that Sanchez has a connection with 3 of our O coaches, he'll probably be the pick.  Not impressed.  Brandon Allen is still on the Rams practice squad.  I'd like to see us go in that direction.  Just my 2 cents. :) 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Don't care for any of the QBs that are working out but it is what it is.  With the tweet that Sanchez has a connection with 3 of our O coaches, he'll probably be the pick.  Not impressed.  Brandon Allen is still on the Rams practice squad.  I'd like to see us go in that direction.  Just my 2 cents. :) 

I don't think it matters who we sign. McCoy will be the starter without question.

And these guys are just being brought in as 3rd string options.

If Colt gets hurt, and we're down to a 3rd string player, the season is over, especially with a 3rd string signed off the street mid-season, and especially with all the other injuries and weaknesses on this team.

If our 3rd stringer ends up playing, it's just to finish off the regular season, and that's it.

Archived