Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I definitely didn't expect this kind of move, I was content with sitting firm. Now we've added a top tier talent on defense to replace arguably our weakest link (Montae has flashed enough to prove that he can play, this digestion period may do well for him) at a far more reasonable price than I would have imagined. Not only that, if he meshes well and this goes as planned, we have first dibs to re-sign him and if not, he will guarantee at least a 4th round comp pick. This is the first trade that I can remember where I feel like we did the hosing. It's like I'm waiting for him to fail a physical or something and bring this back down to earth.

I "liked" just about a whole page of comments. Today is a good day.

Monte needs more time in the cooker, this seems like a good move.

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Chad Dukes on the radio is going crazy on how stupid his move was and should have gotten a top tier WR in Tate to improve Alex instead. Thoughts?

He is almost the type of guy that had an issue with any move. With that said, yes we need WR help but making that defense stronger is the better option I think.

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Chad Dukes on the radio is going crazy on how stupid his move was and should have gotten a top tier WR in Tate to improve Alex instead. Thoughts?

Chad Dukes is the biggest moron on radio. If he thinks the trade sucks then it might actually be the greatest trade in sports history.

Ballhawk, did we really need this? Mwha, would say no based on our D# production but we go now into a streak of games against passing teams. Not run teams. Haha wil help a lot against that. Get some vets in the middle to support the young corners on the outside.

Getting a WR or speed rusher would have been better for the team overall I think. But I like the player so I'm not going to be to harsh. 

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Dukes likes being the contrarian.

Tate is good, I am not sure if he's THAT good.  I understand where he's coming from but we'd need like...Randy Moss in his prime to improve Alex.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dukes likes being the contrarian.

Tate is good, I am not sure if he's THAT good.  I understand where he's coming from but we'd need like...Randy Moss in his prime to improve Alex.

No ... we just really need a better QB. 

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

Tate is older, a problem for a skill position like WR. Also, if the D has a weakness it's in the secondary. If he thinks WR was  bigger need, Ok fine. But to say this was a stupid move is pretty silly. It's a very good move no matter what else you may have wanted them to do. 

The only reason I was upset about us not getting Tate was that he went to Philadelphia.  I was having a hard time seeing how we could be successful covering Jeffery, Agholor, and Tate.  With Clinton-Dix, we should welcome the challenge.  I think we're much better prepared to cover the Falcons, the Bucs and the Texans, not to mention Cooper and Beasley, and even the lowly OBJ and co. 

34 minutes ago, zskins said:

This is a guy with no football background who spends his afternoons talking about fast food.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

So we're cool with a 4th for a rental safety?  A minute ago, we werent cool with a rental WR.

Yeah I’m not cool with it - I look for us to extend him either now or before he hits free agency or this is a waste of a draft pick IMO.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah I’m not cool with it - I look for us to extend him either now or before he hits free agency or this is a waste of a draft pick IMO.

Not really. They will get a compensation pick back. And it's only a 4th. Having said that, I would agree it would make much more sense to sign him long term. they must feel like they can get that done. 

Talk earlier in the year that was Clinton-Dix is looking for an 8m p/y deal. Not sure what he gets, but I'd expect us to extend him and restructure DJ with an equivalent  pay rise/contract at some stage. 

I will happily take these 2 as our starting safeties for a few years from this point.

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If he walks then we get an extra 3rd comp pick in 2020. We are stacked with picks in 2019. Worst case scenario is we have swapped a 2019 4th when we are loaded to a 2020 3rd when we dont know what we'll have in terms of picks. There is literally nothing to **** and moan about.

17 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is a guy with no football background who spends his afternoons talking about fast food.

Yeah he is just a Redskins fan and into computer games, WWE and food... lol

When he had Finley come in he corrected Chad on how it makes sense to go with a DL than a WR. I could tell Finley didn't want to butt head with Dukes so he said in a way not to upset him. Duke in that conversion did say it was a good move but felt a WR would have been better. 

Duke is like most of us here where we want to see an offense like the Saints and the Falcons. Finley was great and said let's say the D is at 8.5 and now they are going to be 9.5 but the offense is 5.5 and adding a WR will bump them up to 6.5 so adding a DL has a better value. He was spot on with his reasoning. I liked it. :)

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I guess Dix is the end of the Montae Nicholson Experience?

This will be interesting. I didn't really see this as a need at first. Does Montae take a back seat? seeing that Gruden named him as the defense's version of Jordan Reed?

But after further review....

Here is what I think the Skins are doing....I think the Redskins are preparing for the back end of the season where they'll probably be playing a lot of big nickle packages against "12 personnel" offenses (like the Falcons & Eagles). "12 personnel" is one RB, two TEs and two WRs. So the Redskins my defend that by placing Montae or Clinton as the extra safety that acts as a hybrid linebacker/cornerback. One will be responsible for covering tight ends and receivers in the slot. They'll also defend the run which I think both are good at although the play of Payne, Allen and "Ion Man" makes it easy. They both have the size, strength and length to match up with big-bodied, pass-catching tight ends.

Ironically, DJ was just talking (indirectly) about Clinton in the post game interview. Fact is, the Redskins now have the top two Safeties in the league. So I like the trade. Ha-Ha is no joke.

Archived