Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Deseans age and contract

Golden Tate age and contract

Demaryius Thomas age and contract

Amari Cooper inconsistency’s and cost

all negatives to me. Must think team thought the same. Should have given a 5th for Gordon but otherwise glad those players aren’t on the team. The problem with the passing game is Alex Smith but he’s not turning it over and they are winning so have to ride it through.

Haha is 25 years old and elite at his position. Fourth round pick when they know they have two going into the draft is all Haha cost. Montae is young, if Haha leaves Montae gets to take over next year. Learning from two top five players in the league can’t hurt

Core of the Defense is young including Dix.

If up to me next offseason pay Preston, cut Norman and give Norman’s money to HaHa. Outlook really bright on this side of the ball. If all he’s asking for is 8mil a year I would pay him that.

Cutting Norman next offseason saves 21 million on the cap next two years. Money from that move could be used to retain Preston and Haha. Dont dislike Norman but he’s near 10% of the cap and unless he takes a cut don’t think it’s worth that much.

What am I missing that’s not to like from these decisions?

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

But after further review....

Here is what I think the Skins are doing....I think the Redskins are preparing for the back end of the season where they'll probably be playing a lot of big nickle packages against "12 personnel" offenses (like the Falcons & Eagles). "12 personnel" is one RB, two TEs and two WRs. So the Redskins my defend that by placing Montae or Clinton as the extra safety that acts as a hybrid linebacker/cornerback.

Thought that's what Harvey-Clemons was for.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

If up to me next offseason pay Preston, cut Norman and give Norman’s money to HaHa. Outlook really bright on this side of the ball. If all he’s asking for is 8mil a year I would pay him that.

Cutting Norman next offseason saves 21 million on the cap next two years. Money from that move could be used to retain Preston and Haha. Dont dislike Norman but he’s near 10% of the cap and unless he takes a cut don’t think it’s worth that much.

The only thing I can think of is now we need to draft a CB in the first next year when I would rather use the 32nd pick on a guard :). In all seriousness this upcoming draft will be interesting. If you let Norman walk you are drafting a CB round one most likely. We are going to need a top flight WR as well. WR is a good position to hit late in the first. CB not so much. 

But I agree with signing Ha Ha to a long term deal. The front 7 and safties will be excellent for years. I would probably let Smith walk in all honesty. But that is just me.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Deseans age and contract

Golden Tate age and contract

Demaryius Thomas age and contract

Amari Cooper inconsistency’s and cost

all negatives to me. Must think team thought the same. Should have given a 5th for Gordon but otherwise glad those players aren’t on the team. The problem with the passing game is Alex Smith but he’s not turning it over and they are winning so have to ride it through.

Haha is 25 years old and elite at his position. Fourth round pick when they know they have two going into the draft is all Haha cost. Montae is young, if Haha leaves Montae gets to take over next year. Learning from two top five players in the league can’t hurt

Preston Smith has zero sacks in 7 games.  What are you willing to pay?? 

3 hours ago, zskins said:

Chad Dukes on the radio is going crazy on how stupid his move was and should have gotten a top tier WR in Tate to improve Alex instead. Thoughts?

That guy is a bonafide turd ? 

53 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Preston Smith has zero sacks in 7 games.  What are you willing to pay?? 

He is playing 80% of the snaps on Defense and mostly in on passing downs. Currently ranking as the 47th best rolb in the league out of qualifying 107 ranked players on pff. Sacks are lacking. Depends how he ends the season.

Skins have actually been pretty good at drafting quality corners past the first round...and a very good D-line can cover up many of the CB inexperience which is what we have.

I think in the first you have to go QB or trade up for a good QB,  otherwise..guard or edge rusher if they let Preston go. WR is also a need but it doesnt look there is much 1st round talent in 2019 draft.

They should let Norman walk and draft a CB in the 3rd or later. If Dix plays really well.. pay him as great safeties can also cover for average CBs. 

38 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Skins have actually been pretty good at drafting quality corners past the first round...and a very good D-line can cover up many of the CB inexperience which is what we have.

I think in the first you have to go QB or trade up for a good QB,  otherwise..guard or edge rusher if they let Preston go. WR is also a need but it doesnt look there is much 1st round talent in 2019 draft.

They should let Norman walk and draft a CB in the 3rd or later. If Dix plays really well.. pay him as great safeties can also cover for average CBs. 

On CBs, the key here is understanding what the FO thinks of Moreau's upside. Is he just a slot corner or is he a guy who can excel as a #1 corner on the outside? Furthermore, people were thinking of Adonis as a 1st round pick if he had stayed this season - excited to see what he can do next year, especially with the type of size to go against the Alshon Jefferys / Julio Joneses of the league. I think Stroman can be solid depth but he's proven he lacks great deep speed - I have faith in him as a backup outside corner longer term.

If they feel that none of these guys can be #1 corners, I'd be open to taking a chance on a bargain FA who is having a down year like Rashaan Melvin (who was elite in 2016 and 2017) or taking a guy who can step in as a starter in the 1st.

1 hour ago, method man said:

On CBs, the key here is understanding what the FO thinks of Moreau's upside. Is he just a slot corner or is he a guy who can excel as a #1 corner on the outside? Furthermore, people were thinking of Adonis as a 1st round pick if he had stayed this season - excited to see what he can do next year, especially with the type of size to go against the Alshon Jefferys / Julio Joneses of the league. I think Stroman can be solid depth but he's proven he lacks great deep speed - I have faith in him as a backup outside corner longer term.

If they feel that none of these guys can be #1 corners, I'd be open to taking a chance on a bargain FA who is having a down year like Rashaan Melvin (who was elite in 2016 and 2017) or taking a guy who can step in as a starter in the 1st.

From the sound of it they like Moreau a lot.. and with Gray being the great corner whisperer Adonis should be pretty decent as well. Stroman is actually playing ok considering he is a 7th rd  rookie pick I expected him to be a major liability but he is holding his own for the most part and again.. with great Dline and safeties elite corner is not necessary, they make average corner look good so Skins could be ok rolling in to next year with Dunbar as the #1 and everyone else playing a role. A mid round corner wouldn't be a bad idea but lets see how the rest of the year goes against good passing teams.. it should show how much of dire need a true #1 corner is.

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could be, but if you can upgrade, it makes sense to me. Looks like an upgrade, plus you get the second best in the league on the cheap for the most part.Capture.JPG.efcf5ea6027506f9a053f49d36fbb9d9.JPG

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He still has a show? Those are my thoughts. 

Ditto. Chad pukes said what?

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The only thing I can think of is now we need to draft a CB in the first next year when I would rather use the 32nd pick on a guard :). In all seriousness this upcoming draft will be interesting. If you let Norman walk you are drafting a CB round one most likely. We are going to need a top flight WR as well. WR is a good position to hit late in the first. CB not so much. 

But I agree with signing Ha Ha to a long term deal. The front 7 and safties will be excellent for years. I would probably let Smith walk in all honesty. But that is just me.

If that's the case, then you're top needs become OT/OG/EDGE (no particular order). 

We would have to bank on a CB in FA or mid rounds of draft. That doesn't bother me too much since this FO and coaching staff seem really good at developing under the radar CBs. They are like the "Bizarro WRs" for us, in terms of our ability to draft/develop them.

27 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

With the release of Brandon Marshall from the hawks, should we kick the tires? Could bolster our wr corps and should be relatively cheap. Better alternative to thedez

why? he has done absolutely nothing the last two years and is done as a player.. and no even Dez is a better WR at this point of his career 

On 10/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Harvey-Clemons comes in as a cover LB or hybrid LB/S

“Big Nickel” could still have some combination of Harvey-Clemons/Foster/Brown at LB, but instead of bringing Moreau in at slot you have Dix/Swearinger/Nicholson all in the game and one of them plays the slot.  Gets more speed on the field for 3WR sets but not quite the drop off in run stopping. 

On 10/30/2018 at 4:59 PM, zskins said:

Chad Dukes on the radio is going crazy on how stupid his move was and should have gotten a top tier WR in Tate to improve Alex instead. Thoughts?

Actually that's not what he said.... He said he liked the move a lot, but feels we missed out on an opportunity to help the offensive production.  That upgrading the talent around ANY QB is going to help that QB, and that had we traded for Tate, he walks in that day and is instantly our best WR.  

Bruce Irvin cut by the Raiders.  His role has been reduced recently, but Gruden is quoted as saying it's due to not being a scheme fit in the 4-3 because he is an edge rusher, which is exactly what we could use right now. Carries about a 4 million dollar price tag the rest of this year and then a 9 million dollar hit for next year. But of course we could cut him at any point with no penalty.  Might be worth the waiver claim, but who would get cut?  

the fact that the Raiders didn't want him doesn't mean anything to me, because I think Gruden is just absolutely ruining that team and chasing good players out of town.  Considering his Super Bowl came due to Monte kiffin's defense, Jon Gruden may be the most overrated coach in history.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804315

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/02/bruce-irvin-played-only-nine-defensive-snaps-against-49ers/amp/

Archived