Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, dyst said:

The franchise has a record of 177 - 237 in the last 25 years. I think it would be foolish of any fan not to place blame on the team itself for this record (not pointing any fingers at you specifically). When you look at the decisions this team makes, the mediocrity that encompasses this team year in and year out, you would have to be a blind ****ing idiot not to see it (again, not pointing any fingers at you specifically).

See, some in this fan base have a tendency to make excuses for the team. The losing record is never a reflection of the team itself, but instead some outside factor. Sometimes it's the "curse", other times "bad luck", and in many instances it's the "league" or "refs" out to get us. If these fans open their eyes, maybe they would see things more clearly.

I could go into detail as to why this team has the record it has over the last 25 years, but I would hope you already know the reasons. So while an injury is just an injury, it's not difficult to see the decisions this team makes, continue to keep the organization stuck in mud.

Take deep breaths.  It will be ok.

I think this team could stand to carry another offensive lineman on the 53. Leaning toward that guy being a Tackle. There are more than a few guys on practice squads across the league that I remember being interested in during the draft. A few of them still have untapped upside, just got a bit sidetracked with health issues.

One guy being Antonio Garcia. Currently on the Colts practice squad. Colts stole a couple guys from this team over the years and that unwritten rule of not tampering with another team's practice squad didn't seem to stop them more than a few times. Return the favor I say. 

Garcia was a former 3rd round pick who had some unfortunate health issues. One thing he didn't lack was feet. You can't coach feet. And the tackles that this team has are lacking feet, especially Moses, but not TW -- who I assume is still inactive. 

Right now the team is carrying 5 RBs. Why? 

I could even argue that the team is carrying one too many LBs. 

No reason not to bring in one guy from the multitude of free agents and practice squad guys that are out there. 

When the team was in the process of bringing in Cooper after the guards went down, the guy I saw on the free agent list that interested me the most was Alex Boone. Physical guy who seemed right for a team looking to rely on a steady run game. A guy who has played both tackle and guard. 

http://nfltraderumors.co/2018-nfl-free-agents-list/

As for free agent tackles, it's quite a bit disappointing of a list, but Breno Giacomini was at least one guy who has seen a few rodeos. Don Barclay could be another emergency RT.

As for interior, Darrell Greene was a guard out of San Diego State who was given a good sum of money from philiadelphia as an undrafted free agent a couple years ago. Don't know why he was released, but the guy was a plus run blocker, physical. 

Antonio Garcia is probably the highest former draft pick, 3rd round, who is now on a practice squad. He always had plus movement skills for an edge Tackle. The question is about his weight and whether his diet is a hinderance to adding mass back. He had blood clots in his lungs a few years back. That's why he was released from the Patriots. It wasn't performance based. 

In the AFC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_AFC_team_rosters

Another guy in the AFC is currently on the Titans practice squad, Jordan Morgan. A small school guy from Kutztown. Former 5th round pick. He's another interior lineman, Guard. The interior guard guys would seem to be less desirable than tackle, based upon how the team addressed interior o-line already.

In the NFC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NFC_team_rosters

Guy I wanted in late Day 3, someone who I gave a "6th-to-7th" round grade and would have easily labeled a priority undrafted free agent, was Dejon Allen out of Hawaii. Guy is really only sized for Center at the NFL level, and this team doesn't need any more centers. But, one could always give him a shot at Guard. But again, the interior has been filled up with bodies. Allen is another good run blocker, but has more movement skills than the larger and slower Boone or Greene. 

He was a plus technique and leverage guy who still had some pop in run blocking. Just undersized. 

Last guy I'd mention is a real long shot, Cole Boozer from Temple. He's undersized, but played tackle because he had good feet. I still don't know if he's up to 300 lbs yet or not. He still might be below 300 lbs. Size and strength, and for that matter consistency, were his issues coming out, which is why he went undrafted. He's on Tampa's PS. I think he's listed as a guard too. 

Out of the group, if I had an intelligence report that Garcia was up to or over 300 lbs and has performed contact football, I'd want to kick the tires. And to be honest, this team has had luck this season with older vet guys, I'd want to at least give Boone a tryout and see if he could bring some fire and physical play for one of the guard spots.  

38 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Right now the team is carrying 5 RBs. Why? 

I could even argue that the team is carrying one too many LBs. 

i'm the same way... I've been in the Perine camp since we drafted him but I can't for the life of me say he's a clear cut better option than Marshall or Bibbs at this point.  I don't think he's done in the league or anything, but right now, I can't see us wanting to hold onto him over those other two.  Part of me wondered if we were going to IR Perine (and I guess we still could) but looking at the injury report it would appear he's not far off... I do understanding holding onto Perine because of the 4 backups, he's the closest in running 'style' to Peterson without the same level of anger.  I partially wonder if we don't consider putting Perine on IR after this game because we want to see how Marshall responds with an additional week... and at this point whoever we add would have zero effect on the team.  

9 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

When the team was in the process of bringing in Cooper after the guards went down, the guy I saw on the free agent list that interested me the most was Alex Boone. Physical guy who seemed right for a team looking to rely on a steady run game. A guy who has played both tackle and guard. 

I banged on about Boone all through the offseason. At the time I got the impression that there are issues out there preventing him being picked up by teams. Still seems to be the case I guess.

Some observations from Keim from facebook that dovetail off of things that some on different threads have said

3. If the run game doesn’t improve, the Redskins’ offense has no chance to be effective. There were a couple times Sunday where I wondered: What would Derrius Guice do with that hole? Adrian Peterson looked a bit slower on some of the bounces. But after I watched a few more of his runs, I felt it was a lot about Dallas’ speed at inside linebacker than anything. Dallas’ defense is good in part because of Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch; both are fast and instinctive. The Redskins have speed, toughness and instincts at linebacker, but not always in the same person. It makes a difference. On one run in which Peterson cut off left tackle Smith was there about three yards off the ball. Peterson probably should have just bulled forward and gained four yards. He tried to bounce wide. He gained two. Smith made him look slower. However, Peterson had injured his shoulder in pass protection earlier in the game and that also could have impacted his decision to try and bounce, avoiding more possible damage.

7. But the Redskins also needed stronger safety play from Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. After the game, coach Jay Gruden said Clinton-Dix has helped with communication, etc. But on at least two touchdowns he was the last guy and failed. I’m not sure where he was on the 40-yarder (actually, I know he was near the sideline; not sure why because no one was over there. But I don’t know his job on that play). The Redskins entered the season thinking they possibly had a long-term safety in Montae Nicholson. They won’t exit the same way. Maybe they re-sign Clinton-Dix, but at what cost? And what’s the impact? In some games he’s been fine and wasn’t the issue. Will wait until the final five games to fully judge; he’s still new.

9. Based on conversations this summer, it seemed the redskins wanted to keep Preston Smith hungry which is one reason he wasn’t signed early. They wanted to see more. Smith has played well of late and if he hits the open market he’ll get a damn good deal. He’s only 26 so he’s just entering his prime; he’s talented and long and can play the run or rush the passer. He’s not Khalil Mack or Von Miller, but he’s good. There’s a dropoff when he’s not in the game. That’s why he’d be hard to replace; you can draft someone but how long will it take that player to develop? They tried that by letting Brian Orakpo go and then getting Smith. It takes time. But will they want to pay him what the market might suggest? Even if they re-sign him, I’d still draft another outside linebacker for depth purposes if nothing else; get some speed on the edge. Overall, the Redskins do not have a fast team in an era where offenses are being more creative and using the entire field and putting defenders in more stress. Again, look at Dallas’ inside linebackers. They can play a certain way because they can recover. Heck, that speed issue is on both sides of the ball. Get more.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’m not sure where he was on the 40-yarder (actually, I know he was near the sideline; not sure why because no one was over there. But I don’t know his job on that play).

I could be wrong as it was late and I'd had a few beers, but I think that was picked up on commentary by Aikman as to how our safety had clearly took himself out of position in error.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Reuben Foster continues to self distruct and has now been released by the 49ers. To think we loved him in the draft and allegedly tried to move up for him.

Wonder at what stage he ends up in a Redskins jersey then.....

No chance he clears waivers....but if he does, he will be a Redskin.

22 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Reuben Foster continues to self distruct and has now been released by the 49ers. To think we loved him in the draft and allegedly tried to move up for him.

Wonder at what stage he ends up in a Redskins jersey then.....

Yeah SF outbid us for him, this week has been bad enough, imagine if that was in the soup too if Foster was on this roster.

Archived