Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Wouls you apply the same logic to other incidents? 

Like say you lost a loved one to gun violence... and then one of your teammates (ST21) brandishes a loaded weapon in anger over an ATV? Or if you lost someone to drugs and a teammate is accused of using/selling.... Or child abuse... Adrian Peterson. 

I’m just not super comfortable with picking and choosing morality like that. 

Yes I would.

I'd say there's a large difference between signing someone with an active accusation/investigation pending and finding out about their character after the fact.

To the ST21 comment at this past draft if I knew a prospect put himself to be one finger pull away from being a murderer, unfortunately he's not draft able. Just too large of a red flag. 

I'd also say with AP he was suspended for a year, so in the American way he's 'served his time'. 

There will be plenty of blow back on this signing, just like there was when the Eagles signed Michael Vick.  It worked out great for the Eagles and it will work out well for us.  Reuben is with his trusted friends and a lot of high character Bama boys.  If he screws up in this situation then he deserves to be out on his butt.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not directed at you at all, but what the hell is Russell trying to stir up here? Everyone organization SHOULD have split decisions lol.

His last sentence is what's most frustrating and touched on it in the Bruce thread earlier. Who the hell is making decisions now? Or at least final decision?

3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

There will be plenty of blow back on this signing, just like there was when the Eagles signed Michael Vick.  It worked out great for the Eagles and it will work out well for us.  Reuben is with his trusted friends and a lot of high character Bama boys.  If he screws up in this situation then he deserves to be out on his butt.

Vick spent time unemployed and in jail before the Eagles signed him.

Maybe to make this an apples -to-apples comparison this would have been like if the Eagles signed Vick a few days after the Falcons dropped him and he was awaiting trial.  

8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Vick did his time literally, owned up to mistake, came off reformed.  Still a roll of the dice granted.  Foster is just a few days removed from the incident and that wasn't his first rodeo.

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Not directed at you at all, but what the hell is Russell trying to stir up here? Everyone organization SHOULD have split decisions lol.

His last sentence is what's most frustrating and touched on it in the Bruce thread earlier. Who the hell is making decisions now? Or at least final decision?

I think Russell if anything here is trying to have a few people's back considering the PR backlash they are getting.  He's clearly friendly with some people who work there -- he's talked about it.

As for who is making decisions, agree, I made the same point ironically a few minutes ago on the GM thread.

Just now, Unbias said:

Vick spent time unemployed and in jail before the Eagles signed him.

Maybe to make this an apples -to-apples comparison this would have been like if the Eagles signed Vick a few days after the Falcons dropped him and he was awaiting trial.  

But for me, as long as he doesn’t practice or play, I think it’s OK to let the process play out while claiming his rights. He can’t practice with the team or attend games.... we aren’t just blowing off the accusations. We are saying we are willing to take the blowback and claim him for when after this process is complete. I think it’s alright 

5 minutes ago, kleese said:

But for me, as long as he doesn’t practice or play, I think it’s OK to let the process play out while claiming his rights. He can’t practice with the team or attend games.... we aren’t just blowing off the accusations. We are saying we are willing to take the blowback and claim him for when after this process is complete. I think it’s alright 

For me this is the problem with the signing, the redskins are a PR nightmare and this just makes it worse. I understand their thinking, and another team I likely would understand, but this team just hasnt had a good run of PR to adsorb this kind of backlash. 

Trouble definitely follows this guy around.  So from what I read this newest domestic violence case was an altercation with the same ex-girlfriend who pressed charges and then recanted them in May.

What's odd is that supposedly they have broken up and Foster has a new girlfriend now so why in the world was his ex-girlfriend at his hotel in Tampa when the Niners are getting ready to play the Bucs?

So much drama to deal with, regardless of what happens this young man has issues, based on everything I doubt he ever plays a game for us.

seeing some tweets, others bringing up old news about some of the other players previous questionable actions.  While this all garned attention in the past them only bringing it up now really suggests it's more about stirring up trouble for the Skins rather than actually caring about the issue

as for the Kaepernick issue some keep bringing up, I'm not even sure he'd sign with us

Reuben Foster is not a big deal at all.  We have had people like Leondard Little, and others who have killed people play in the league.  We have had people in the NFL who have had 5+ children with multiple wives yet domestic abuses is such a big deal compared to those offenses.  Ty Hill is being touted by the NFL for his skills and he has actually been convicted for these cases. 

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Reuben Foster is not a big deal at all.  We have had people like Leondard Little, and others who have killed people play in the league.  We have had people in the NFL who have had 5+ children with multiple wives yet domestic abuses is such a big deal compared to those offenses.  Ty Hill is being touted by the NFL for his skills and he has actually been convicted for these cases. 

Our own Donte Stallworth...missed the entire 2009 season after being suspended by the NFL following his conviction on manslaughter charges.

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

The NFL sure does casually gloss over tyreek hill’s Situation. 

Yeah I mean the Ruben Foster headlines don't shed good light on this organization, but truthfully this is a league-wide problem.  Players that are seen as being able to help a team win are going to land somewhere.  I know the narrative is that no one but Washington put a claim in, but I am not convinced another team wasn't going to eventually do it.

This is a case where if the NFL wants a change, it has to come from the top, and it has to apply across the board.  

The problem is that because so many athletes tend to skate on these issues, whether through payoffs or intimidation or spouses retracting charges for whatever reason, it opens up all these gray areas, and you have guys like Rothelisburger who pretty much raped a girl in a bathroom, have it swept under the rug because he paid the chick off, so people just forget it and go back to marveling at his arm strength. 

Hell, that makes the problem bigger than the NFL.  It is more a societal issue, celebrity-worship being a big part of it.

The public wants to use the NFL as public images but in fact, the NFL is actually doing a great thing by allowing these "bad guys" continue their lives and not shaming them for what they want to do.  How many people who have gone to jail for a petty offense  are not able to find a job afterwards? tons!!

Archived