Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Cobbs, I think, is overrated. People are acting like he's a starting WR who was the hottest item on the market. He wasn't. He sat on the practice squad for 15 weeks with no one calling. Now it's all about the Saints recognizing talent? 15 weeks late?

I want to know, simply for peace of mind, who made the Bibbs decision ultimately.

I have a feeling I know exactly who, but have no way of actually knowing.

Probably one of those things we'll never know. Or we'll find out in a few years down the road when it will largely be forgotten.

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Cobbs, I think, is overrated. People are acting like he's a starting WR who was the hottest item on the market. He wasn't. He sat on the practice squad for 15 weeks with no one calling. Now it's all about the Saints recognizing talent? 15 weeks late?

I dont think the frustration is as much about the player, as it is about the fumbling of the process.  My frustration is the fact that for a few weeks this year we carried 52 on the active roster.  Add to that the fact that WR has been a major need all season (3 WRs on IR, 1 of which has gone down twice).  We elected to carry 5 rbs (Peterson, Thompson, Bibbs, Marshall, Perine) instead of adding a young WR we had IN HOUSE.  At the same time, Colt McCoy was not place on IR.  We've since cut Bibbs (which is another dumb move).  

The point is that we EASILY had room to add a young player at a position of need that has been within our offense for a season, and we've elected to either, leave the roster spot open, carry a 3rd QB with a broken leg, or de-activate Perine every week.  There was room to make this move and we chose to ignore it until the Saints made a waiver claim, and nobody in their right mind would pass up playing with Drew Brees.  

It all may be moot because Ginn is designated for return so Cobbs very well may get released after this weekend.  

9 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Cobbs might be the 9th or 10th WR the Saints have had in the building this year.  They signed at least a couple during the season that didn't work out for one reason or another.  He's couldnt have been THAT highly regarded.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont think the frustration is as much about the player, as it is about the fumbling of the process.  My frustration is the fact that for a few weeks this year we carried 52 on the active roster.  Add to that the fact that WR has been a major need all season (3 WRs on IR, 1 of which has gone down twice).  We elected to carry 5 rbs (Peterson, Thompson, Bibbs, Marshall, Perine) instead of adding a young WR we had IN HOUSE.  At the same time, Colt McCoy was not place on IR.  We've since cut Bibbs (which is another dumb move).  

The point is that we EASILY had room to add a young player at a position of need that has been within our offense for a season, and we've elected to either, leave the roster spot open, carry a 3rd QB with a broken leg, or de-activate Perine every week.  There was room to make this move and we chose to ignore it until the Saints made a waiver claim, and nobody in their right mind would pass up playing with Drew Brees.  

It all may be moot because Ginn is designated for return so Cobbs very well may get released after this weekend.  

Peterson is old, Perine is a young draft pick, plus at the time we activated Marshall Perine was out with some practice injury

As to Cobb, we have Maurice Harris, Trey Quinn, Cam Sims and Robert Davis floating around in some capacity or another.  We're not hurting for young WRs with potential to be effective

1 minute ago, carex said:

Peterson is old, Perine is a young draft pick, plus at the time we activated Marshall Perine was out with some practice injury

As to Cobb, we have Maurice Harris, Trey Quinn, Cam Sims and Robert Davis floating around in some capacity or another.  We're not hurting for young WRs with potential to be effective

We've been hurting for WR talent since Richardson went down.  My struggle was 3 weeks ago when Quinn went back to IR, Doc had a concussion, and it was questionable if Crowder was going to be able to return at 100%.  For a period of time, we literally had 3 WRs on the roster cleared to play.  We could have easily activated Cobbs and it literally would not have caused another player a roster spot.  We would have just added him.   I'm not saying Cobbs is meant to be a part of the team for the next 10 seasons, but THIS season, in a playoff push, struggling at WR and on offense, we elected to not bring up a player that could have possibly helped.  

Again, the frustration isn't Cobbs specifically, it's the idea that we have a WR on the PS, we need help at the WR position, the season is not over yet, we have room on the roster to bring him on, but we don't.  The move just does not make sense to me. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Overall I get your point. Unbelievable that we went with a 52 man roster for a few weeks. Having said that, since they have that stupid inactive on game day list - something i will never understand - it didn't hurt much for game days. Just releasing Bibbs - which I agree was monumentally stupid - and then losing Cobbs when they didn't have to appears asinine. 

The one thing I disagree with is, not just you, but many of questioned why not put Colt on IR. The reason is his injury is not as bad as first thought. There is a chance - however slim - but a chance he could make it back before the end of the year. Or maybe if they squeak into the POs then he could play. Since they already activated two off IR this year, if they place him on IR he is done no matter what. And again back to the inactive list, it does not really hurt them to keep him on the roster for  few weeks just in case. 

Even if Josh plays great and we sneak into the PO,s you may not start Colt, but I would rather have him as the back-up in case Josh gets hurt than butt fumble. So this one move I agree with. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Overall I get your point. Unbelievable that we went with a 52 man roster for a few weeks. Having said that, since they have that stupid inactive on game day list - something i will never understand - it didn't hurt much for game days. Just releasing Bibbs - which I agree was monumentally stupid - and then losing Cobbs when they didn't have to appears asinine. 

The one thing I disagree with is, not just you, but many of questioned why not put Colt on IR. The reason is his injury is not as bad as first thought. There is a chance - however slim - but a chance he could make it back before the end of the year. Or maybe if they squeak into the POs then he could play. Since they already activated two off IR this year, if they place him on IR he is done no matter what. And again back to the inactive list, it does not really hurt them to keep him on the roster for  few weeks just in case. 

Even if Josh plays great and we sneak into the PO,s you may not start Colt, but I would rather have him as the back-up in case Josh gets hurt than butt fumble. So this one move I agree with. 

Oh i get that bud (and i know you weren't looking me in the eye when you said that), but that's just 1 piece of the chain of things.  IF we're looking at the OTHER things not being in the equation, and the only move to call Cobbs up was to put Colt on IR.... i can accept the idea that Colt being here is more valuable than stashing Cobbs on the 53 but deactivating him every week for the sole purpose of protecting him from getting grabbed. 

37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Except this isn't going to happen. We're not sneaking in to the playoffs. This is just another dumb move by Gruden.

So, Josh Gordon is "stepping away" from football for "mental health" issues.  Reports are suggesting he is facing another long/permanent suspension for violation of terms of his reinstatement from the last suspension.  That certainly will be a hit to the Patriots moving into the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002110/article/patriots-wr-josh-gordon-facing-indefinite-suspension

I guess, looking with hindsight, the FO got lucky in not making the effort attempt to pick him up.

Not sure this can be attributed to being a smart choice, but rather just lucky - in that we won't have another decision to question the ability of the FO to properly vet troubled players before bringing them in.

1 hour ago, carex said:

I'm pretty sure the 52 man roster was just one week

DECEMBER
  • 12/18

Signed DB Harlan Miller and placed CB Joshua Holsey onto the Reserve/Injured list. Signed DB Alex Carter, RB Russell Hansbrough, WR Montay Crockett to the practice squad.

• 12/15

Signed LS Andrew East and signed TE Matt Flanagan and DB Joshua Holsey to the active roster. Waived RB Kapri Bibbs and DE Marcus Smith. Placed LS Nick Sundberg onto the the Reserve/Injured list.

• 12/11

Signed G Kyle Fuller and waived C Demetrius Rhaney

•  

NOVEMBER
  • 11/28

Signed LB Josh Carraway to the practice squad.

• 11/19

Signed QB Mark Sanchez and placed QB Alex Smith on the Reserve/Injured list. Terminated DL Jarron Jones from the practice squad.

• 11/17

Activated RB Byron Marshall from the Reserve/Injured list and waived WR Brian Quick.

• 11/13

Waived CB Joshua Holsey from active roster. Placed T Geron Christian Sr. onto the Reserve/Injured list. Terminated RB Mack Brown from practice squad and signed C Casey Dunn to the practice squad.

• 11/09

Signed LB Cassanova McKinzy from the practice squad to the active roster and waived OL Casey Dunn.

• 11/05

Signed G Luke Bowanko, G John Cooper and T Austin Howard. Placed G Shawn Lauvao, WR Paul Richardson Jr. and G Brandon Scherff.

OCTOBER
  • 10/31

Signed LB Cassanova McKinzy to the practice squad and terminated DB Jason Thompson from the practice squad.

Looking at the transactions on Redskins.com, on 10/31 we sent McKinzy down putting us at 52.  On the 9th we brought him up but waived Dunn (still 52).  On 11/13 we waived Holsey and IR'd Christian (Now were at 51).  on the 17th we activated Marshall but released Quick (Still at 51).    I don't see ANY transactions after that, to bring us up to 53.  Am I missing it?  

Josh Johnson does not show up on there, but that's still only 52

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Except this isn't going to happen. We're not sneaking in to the playoffs. This is just another dumb move by Gruden.

You are probably right - but it's not impossible. The two teams coming up are not really that good. So stating it as fact that they are not making bit is pre-mature. Which is why I said on the off chance. I don't think they will either but until it's over it's not over no matter how many times people want to say otherwise - of course unless they have a time warp machine and can see into the future - in that case please, please give me the winning lottery numbers! 🙂  I could buy the team and stop all this madness!!  And yes, I could figure a way to leverage a few $100M to buy the team. I have a plan. Yes, even less likely than the team getting into the POs, but that's how desperate I am to see Dan S away from this team. 

More importantly, you sure it's Gruden? Despite all the reports from people close to the team - you still willing to blame it 100% on Gruden? I am not a fan of the moves either - but it is possible they know something we do not and even more possible Jay was given his opinion. Two considerations:  

1. The assumption it was Jay's decision, and Jay's alone. First, the assistants typically have input. There is nothing from Jay to suggest he does not accept their input. However, it is in Bruce's history. I saw @Skinsinparadise stating people close to the team saying Bruce is making game day decisions on players - telling Jay who to play and not play. If that is true - is it that hard to believe Jay wanted to keep Bibbs and Bruce said no? Or that Jay wanted to promote Cobbs and Bruce said no? Bruce has been obsessed with people saying he is not a football guy since he fired Scot. Many of the moves since smack of a Bruce decision more than Jay. Does Jay have no input? I would hope not or it is even worse than I think - and that's pretty ****ing bad. 

2. That it was in fact a bad decision - While I tend to agree with what we have seen - there is a possibility that they know something more than we do. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Looking at the transactions on Redskins.com, on 10/31 we sent McKinzy down putting us at 52.  On the 9th we brought him up but waived Dunn (still 52).  On 11/13 we waived Holsey and IR'd Christian (Now were at 51).  on the 17th we activated Marshall but released Quick (Still at 51).    I don't see ANY transactions after that, to bring us up to 53.  Am I missing it?  

Josh Johnson does not show up on there, but that's still only 52

I think they just missed something.  Look at the inactives list.  The only time they didn't have seven players listed as inactive was Dec 3 vs the Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/inactives?team=WAS

21 hours ago, carex said:

Stop making sense. You might scare people.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, goskins10 said:

You are probably right - but it's not impossible. The two teams coming up are not really that good. So stating it as fact that they are not making bit is pre-mature. Which is why I said on the off chance. I don't think they will either but until it's over it's not over no matter how many times people want to say otherwise - of course unless they have a time warp machine and can see into the future - in that case please, please give me the winning lottery numbers! 🙂  I could buy the team and stop all this madness!!  And yes, I could figure a way to leverage a few $100M to buy the team. I have a plan. Yes, even less likely than the team getting into the POs, but that's how desperate I am to see Dan S away from this team. 

More importantly, you sure it's Gruden? Despite all the reports from people close to the team - you still willing to blame it 100% on Gruden? I am not a fan of the moves either - but it is possible they know something we do not and even more possible Jay was given his opinion. Two considerations:  

1. The assumption it was Jay's decision, and Jay's alone. First, the assistants typically have input. There is nothing from Jay to suggest he does not accept their input. However, it is in Bruce's history. I saw @Skinsinparadise stating people close to the team saying Bruce is making game day decisions on players - telling Jay who to play and not play. If that is true - is it that hard to believe Jay wanted to keep Bibbs and Bruce said no? Or that Jay wanted to promote Cobbs and Bruce said no? Bruce has been obsessed with people saying he is not a football guy since he fired Scot. Many of the moves since smack of a Bruce decision more than Jay. Does Jay have no input? I would hope not or it is even worse than I think - and that's pretty ****ing bad. 

2. That it was in fact a bad decision - While I tend to agree with what we have seen - there is a possibility that they know something more than we do. 

1. I don't know of many organizations in which the coach did NOT make most, if not all of these decisions. We also know a couple things. Gruden has favorites, and Marshall is one of them. Bibbs never was. So, it's actually rather obvious that even though Bibbs has done something in then NFL (and not just on this team) Gruden also falls in loves with guys, despite what they actually do, or what other guys do.

2. I'll go to point #1. Jay seems to not be the most objective guy. When you have reports of Cobb doing really well, the Saints signing him and we're once again, slow on the draw even with a bunch of issues at WR (Floyd is a ****ing starter for Peak's sake!), why not see if the guy blowing up on the PS can help? It's not like anyone else is doing anything? To be blunt, I don't really trust Gruden to be objective. He's too easy to fall in love with feel good stories and stick with them, even when they show everyone else  that you have better players, or you wont try to improve that spot because you think so highly of say.........................Rob Kelley.

36 minutes ago, carex said:

Bibbs had 129 yards rushing, 75 yards recieving and 1 TD away from this team

Such an easy guy to root for. Would've been one of Gibbs's core Redskins if he was still here.

Either way, it looks like he ended up with his favorite team growing up.

https://www.packers.com/news/chance-to-play-for-packers-is-dream-come-true-for-kapri-bibbs

Archived