Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They can choose or not choose, they are going to suck next year anyway.

Trent missed 3-4 games this year.  Reed misses games every year.  Moses misses games or is severly hampered in every game.  Crowder misses games every year.  CT misses games every year.

Happens once, it's an abnormality.  Happens every year it's a trend.  The reason we have injury problems is because we continue to sign guys with injury problems. 

Gotta get rid of all of them and try something different.  Because they're useless if they're hurt and inactive or on IR

no Moses doesn't miss games,  he's been 16 for 16 for several year

3 minutes ago, carex said:

no Moses doesn't miss games,  he's been 16 for 16 for several year

Yep.  Crowder’s been healthy until this year too.  With that said, Moses does seem to be dinged up all the time.  

Speaking of oline.  I wonder if the staff ever considers the following - your oline backups should be adept at the same type of blocking scheme.  When you sustain injuries, cut down your run game to just zone or just man blocking (whichever fits your personnel) - should make it easier to slide replacements in.  Considering Guice was used behind different blocking schemes, if we re-sign AP, I’d consider looking for olinemen that fit his running style (if possible).  

What veterans might be released? The Redskins need to address multiple positions and need cap room. Considering Zach Brown lost his starting job late in the year, he’s an easy candidate and it would save the Redskins $5.75 million in cap space. Corner Josh Norman has played well for most of the season but has a $14.5 million cap hit in 2019. They could save $11.5 million if he’s released post-June 1. The problem: It creates a big hole. Other high-priced veterans -- tight end Jordan Reed ($7.9 million in savings), defensive end Stacy McGee ($2.4 million if pre-June 1 release; $4 million after) and tight end Vernon Davis ($5 million). There’s a chance only one or two of these players gets released. Veteran linebacker Ryan Kerrigan is 31, would save $10.75 million if released, but he’s coming off his fifth Pro Bowl and the coaches prize his consistency. Of course, every move creates a hole to fill, whether with lower-priced players in free agency or the draft. The Redskins also must decide how much they want to pay free agents such as linebacker Preston Smith(could be too costly) and receiver Jamison Crowder (possibly the same, but he’s high on the priority list).

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37930/redskins-need-to-decide-if-injuries-were-only-reason-for-more-mediocrity

The problem with post June 1st cuts, as I understand it, is it splits the hit and you take dead cap money into the next year.

Lets make a couple assumptions:

1. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (Bruce and Jay) are both back in their current roles

2. Alex Smith won’t start the season, and might not play at all (or ever again). 

This means you gave Colt McCoy as your starting QB.  Period.  (Until the second drive when he gets hurt)

OL: Trent, Rouille, Scherff, Moses are back.  You STILL Need a LG. And depth.  

TE: Reed and Sprinkle lead the way.  It’s time to move on from VD.

WR: This position is a mess.  Do you keep Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, Simms, re-sign Crowder?  They desperately need to upgrade here.  You have a bunch of ok guys that try hard but nobody who really scares a defense it creates separation.

RB: Guice, re-sign AP If he’ll come back. Jay is more infatuated with Byron Marshall than I was with my prom date, so he’ll be here.  And they’ll probably keep CT until he gets hurt. (I wouldn’t)

Defense: 

DL is pretty much fine.

ILB is a mess.  Foster is slow and Brown can’t cover.  You might need an overhaul here.

Secondary is also a mess because Norman is probably gone and who knows about Dunny, Monte’s in jail (ok not really(, and most of the rest are unproven.

So, you basically need 2/3 WRs who can play, a TE, LG, 2 ILB, 2-3 corners and 2 safeties.

Amd Bruce Allen gets to pick them.

Whooppee!!!!

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

ILB is a mess.  Foster is slow and Brown can’t cover.  You might need an overhaul here.

Whether he stays out of trouble a whole season or not, I expect the FO will consider Reuben Foster to be the fix for one linebacker spot. If they're as drunk on Bama boys as they act like they are, they might just be insane enough to expect Hamilton to be good enough to fill the other LB spot immediately.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Whether he stays out of trouble a whole season or not, I expect the FO will consider Reuben Foster to be the fix for one linebacker spot. If they're as drunk on Bama boys as they act like they are, they might just be insane enough to expect Hamilton to be good enough to fill the other LB spot immediately.

Before RF can be counted on for anything, he needs to be cleared of charges and reinstated. 

That MIGHT happen. I agree our FO might be stupid enough to count on it, but I wouldn’t until he’s at least eligible again.

@Voice_of_Reason

Depends if we’re talking about what we need at minimum...

I think they need one receiver, but one that has speed and can get YAC.  Doctson, Richardson, Sims, Quinn, Harris and Davis are fine.  

One ILB... I think SDH might be fine as a starter.  Hopefully JHC will be further along.  As much as I’ve complained about him, I’d actually consider keeping Foster as depth.  

One corner - Moreau plays opposite Dunbar with Alexander competing.  Stroman or Holsey in the slot.  A well rounded corner (one that can play inside or out) would be a nice addition for competition.  This won’t be a ‘good’ group, but at least the youngsters should be a bit further along.  

Safety, I agree.  We need 2 and I don’t know how we’re going to get by here. I’d like to see Nicholson earn a starting job, but availability could be an issue.  Everett is ok as depth and Apke... I have no idea (can’t imagine him starting next year though).  

1 TE and a LG.  On the bright side, we can probably find a pass catching TE later in the draft. 

Unfortunately, I think we could really stand to use our first on an edge rusher.  On top of that, I think the FO almost has to spend a pick on a qb (rounds 1-3).  

On top of all of that, we need depth at oline... ugh.  

So what could we address in FA?  Maybe 2 of ILB, S and G, or perhaps a corner.  In the draft, a receiver and edge rusher early, hopefully a decent olineman fairly early, a TE, and safety/corner competition.  Or something like that.

Bottom line for me, add oline help and speed.  Receiver, ILB, safety, Te, rb, whatever... just add some juice. 

12 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I think the only thing keeping Reuben Foster on the hook is Bruce.  If Bruce goes, so does Reuben. 

There appeared to be a caveat with Reuben that the claim was submitted on the assumption (hope) that he will be cleared.  There were several post claim comments to the effect that if he is guilty then they will cut him loose so his roster spot hinges pretty much entirely on the outcome of the investigation.

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Interesting stat of the day. The SIX highest paid QB's in the league all missed the playoffs this year. But we are all told that you cant win a Super Bowl without the "franchise" guy.

There are quite a few "Franchise QBs" that did make the playoffs.  Luck, Goff, Jackson, Mahomes, Trubisky (just to name a few) that are not the highest paid.  Some of those guys are (or can be) franchise QBs.  Don't have to be a high paid QB to be a franchise QB. 

Just now, aszumilo said:

There are quite a few "Franchise QBs" that did make the playoffs.  Luck, Goff, Jackson, Mahomes, Trubisky (just to name a few) that are not the highest paid.  Some of those guys are (or can be) franchise QBs.  Don't have to be a high paid QB to be a franchise QB. 

That is exactly my point. The QB on the rookie contract is the way to go. It gives you cap flexibility to build a team around him. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That is exactly my point. The QB on the rookie contract is the way to go. It gives you cap flexibility to build a team around him. 

Saints have done pretty good building a team around Brees.  Colts are starting to build a team around Luck.  Neither one of those guys are on rookie contracts.  It is true that a QB on a rookie contract is more favorable to the team, but, it is not always detrimental to the team when they sign their next big contract.  It all depends on the player and the team.  Something the Redskins fail to do on a consistent basis.

8 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Saints have done pretty good building a team around Brees.  Colts are starting to build a team around Luck.  Neither one of those guys are on rookie contracts.  It is true that a QB on a rookie contract is more favorable to the team, but, it is not always detrimental to the team when they sign their next big contract.  It all depends on the player and the team.  Something the Redskins fail to do on a consistent basis.

Agreed on all counts. The only QB's in playoffs not on rookie contracts are Brees, Luck, Brady, Foles, Wilson and Rivers. So half of them are on rookie contracts, 5 of them are the best Qb's int he league and one of them is a playoff superstar and last years Super Bowl MVP. Bottom line is you either need a top 5 QB or you need to build a team around a good QB on his rookie contract and spend money on other parts of the squad. 

The interesting thing about this is that the top 6 highest paid and 8 of the 10 highest paid QB's are sitting at home right now. The QB's in the playoffs are either on rookie deals or older deals that are team friendly.

NO-  not a rookie deal

Rams-rookie deal

Bears-rookie deal

Dallas-rookie deal

Seattle- not a rookie deal

Philly-rookie deal

Chiefs-rookie deal

NE-not a rookie deal (but team friendly)

Houston-rookie deal

Ravens-not a rookie deal (counting Flacco)

Chargers-not a rookie deal (but cheap in today's market)

Colts- not a rookie deal

So 50% on a rookie deal.  Two that are cheap (considering).  

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

NO-  not a rookie deal

Rams-rookie deal

Bears-rookie deal

Dallas-rookie deal

Seattle- not a rookie deal

Philly-rookie deal

Chiefs-rookie deal

NE-not a rookie deal (but team friendly)

Houston-rookie deal

Ravens-not a rookie deal (counting Flacco)

Chargers-not a rookie deal (but cheap in today's market)

Colts- not a rookie deal

So 50% on a rookie deal.  Two that are cheap (considering).  

Carson Wentz is on a rookie deal but Nick Foles is starting.  Foles is on the way out, but this is Wentz's second season ending injury

1 minute ago, carex said:

the rookie QB deal isn't some super big deal

Oh.  Well that article doesn't really prove your point since Foles is cheap this year (and last year) and that is what we're discussing. Then looking at the lost I posted, I'd say it shows it is a big deal, just not the only defining deal.

Archived