Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Fans tend to assume the team will cut players just to save $$. But that’s not the case and this team hasn’t been breaking the bank in FA the last few years to require said cuts or reworked contracts.

case and point Jordan reed and Norman. TEs take a year or two to draft and groom. Not many quality TE hit the FA market. You vastly downgrade TE by cutting Reed without having an obvious replacement. For Norman, I’d argue you need a veteran CB to come in in FA to start while your young guys continue to grow while maybe going CB in R2-3 of the draft. But if that’s the case, I think you keep Norman ... he’s here, knows the system, and I think is respected despite what fans think of him. I don’t see him being a casualty for the sake of saving some $$. CBs are expensive. 

Vernon Davis and Zach Brown would save a combined $10 million though and I think make sense. 

Preston Smith will command $9-10 million per year. Crowder likely $6-8 million per year. I think many here forget how middle tier FAs are now massively overpaid.

I think we go hard for Safety and EDGE depth in FA and address WR LG EDGE in the draft. 

I think we miss out on Smith and unless we get a Dee Ford type in FA we are gonna have to get one early in the draft. 

Think I worked out we have about $17 million in pure cap for FA or major re-Signs which factoring in for the lower y1 cap hits should be enough to bring back or sign a few impact players. And that’s without cutting anyone like a Norman and Reed. Just Davis and Brown.

$33 million after rollover and cuts of Brown and Davis. $5 million for draft pool. $10 million to take into the season (matches trend of last couple years). that leaves about $18 million to spend on your free agent class. 

I would release or not re-sign Reed, Crowder, Davis, Norman, Brown and Smith. There is absolutely no need to be paying these players top money when we are not going to win more than 4 games with our QB situation, and add in the injury history of Reed and Crowder and the mouth who can't back it up with good play Norman. Save most of our cap money and start afresh in 2020. I would even look to trade Williams and Kerrigan even though they are 2 of my all time favourite Redskins. 

HTTR 

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

I would release or not re-sign Reed, Crowder, Davis, Norman, Brown and Smith. There is absolutely no need to be paying these players top money when we are not going to win more than 4 games with our QB situation, and add in the injury history of Reed and Crowder and the mouth who can't back it up with good play Norman. Save most of our cap money and start afresh in 2020. I would even look to trade Williams and Kerrigan even though they are 2 of my all time favourite Redskins. 

HTTR 

Trust me(I understand this is your opinion)but with gruden returning you can be sure so will those players.. besides..if we do the right thing and bring back Peterson we could have a two headed monster in the backfield that could lead us to winning games...I just prey Callahan and j tomsula returns..

@markmills67 I think your mindset fits with rebuilding the rare way the Raiders did this year. With Gruden back this team is not going to reboot. Those players are all likely back. Their replacements of equal quality will cost high picks and high dollars in FA. 

Not saying I disagree with that direction and mindset I just don’t see it happening. 

And we are a LG and healthy OL from being a dominant running team. I think you could actually win games with Colt/Rookie QB if you can maintain the defense/slightly upgrade in FA/Draft and add a LG and speed WR. I know we didn’t win sexy but we did start 6-3 with many of the pieces that will be back next year and then some. And who knows if Alex is gonna play. He’s he wildcard. 

Smith vack 100% with a LG and Guice and another WR from the draft and I put our chances of 9+ wins fairly high. 

With colt/Rookie and same scenario I think it’s likely to be in that 6-9 range. 

This is far from a 3-13 team. It was a 3-13 team with Josh Johnson and a makeshift OL and WRs. But healthy, no

11 hours ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

I feel your frustration too man, but we won 7 games in this trainwreck of a season.  Theres absolutely no reason we cant compete if we get shore up the O-line and get Colt/Smith playing.  I would love to have Peterson back with a FB on the roster.  Cam Sims (Love his height) and P-Rich on the outside and Reed at TE.  Conservative style power run with old school play action.  No one is playing this brand.  With our developing D-line we could frustrate a lot of teams.  We should draft heavy in the secondary.  I think were ok on the Edge with Anderson and McPhee/Kerrigan.  

21 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lol I wouldn't go that far but ya if I dug hard enough I could probably find out from some family members

I've been reading everything I can on it, seems like no one thinks he's playing in 2019 so I am guessing there is something they know but haven't reported yet.  But who knows?

On 1/4/2019 at 12:42 AM, Poindexter said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000489200/Collins-on-Redskins-I-will-always-be-a-fan

The stars may be aligning for another Bama Boy to come to DC.  Landon Collins is a huge Redskins fan and says he will always be a Redskins fan.  If we are going to pay a safety I would much rather have Collins than HaHa.

Picking up a couple of safeties shouldn't be an issue this offseason, plenty of viable options out there as a decent potential cost.

However, if the Giants don't lock Collins up, and he's dead set against the tag, if somehow he hit the FA market then i honestly think he would instantly become our #1 target. In fact, I think it would be an almost certain outcome that he would sign here. 

15 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I would be ok with Dix coming back.  I think he may have been overshadowed by the outspoken DJ.  I thought he played better as the season went on as well.  Its not easy to switch team like he did and fit right in.  I think he could be a good player for us.  

I'm with you.. not completely sold that we saw everything that he is.  I'm not for breaking the bank to retain him, but I did like that I heard he even stepped to DJ a couple times and kind of told him to pipe down a little bit.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:56 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Would we stand a chance to land that wide receiver from the Steelers?

Doubt it. But a contender will get him, pick up the remainder of his contract, which is something like 3 years 36mil, and be very happy....unless he wants a new deal I guess...

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Doubt it. But a contender will get him, pick up the remainder of his contract, which is something like 3 years 36mil, and be very happy....unless he wants a new deal I guess...

Brown is amazing but also 30. He needs to go where he can dominate touches. SF makes a ton of sense. Or Cleveland lol. 

54 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I would be ok with Dix coming back.  I think he may have been overshadowed by the outspoken DJ.  I thought he played better as the season went on as well.  Its not easy to switch team like he did and fit right in.  I think he could be a good player for us.  

Same. Think between him and Collins one will be a Skin. Doesn’t Collins play SS and Dix FS? Don’t we’d have $$ fit both but would be cool with 2 Bama boys

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Brown is amazing but also 30. He needs to go where he can dominate touches. SF makes a ton of sense. Or Cleveland lol. 

Same. Think between him and Collins one will be a Skin. Doesn’t Collins play SS and Dix FS? Don’t we’d have $$ fit both but would be cool with 2 Bama boys

Imagine this defense if we added Landon Collins and Jadaveon Clowney and a defensive coordinator. Is that too much to ask?

45 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm with you.. not completely sold that we saw everything that he is.  I'm not for breaking the bank to retain him, but I did like that I heard he even stepped to DJ a couple times and kind of told him to pipe down a little bit.

I love this thought. He was highly touted prospect on this board in the draft thread. But we also need to admit that he failed to flourish in Green Bay, and subsequently was mediocre at best during his brief stint here. I doubt if any of us on this board don't already miss DJs gameday play and personna. We must have a gaping hole if Ha Ha is being touted as our future.

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Imagine this defense if we added Landon Collins and Jadaveon Clowney and a defensive coordinator. Is that too much to ask?

Probably. With about $17 million to some on resigning guys and free agents, Collins at $8-10 a year and Clooney at $13-15 would be near impossible even with reduced Year 1 cap hits. Unless you cut Norman. And then you gotta go CB early in the draft which I guess is fine. That would be pretty nuts front 7 with Ruben Foster included 

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I love this thought. He was highly touted prospect on this board in the draft thread. But we also need to admit that he failed to flourish in Green Bay, and subsequently was mediocre at best during his brief stint here. I doubt if any of us on this board don't already miss DJs gameday play and personna. We must have a gaping hole if Ha Ha is being touted as our future.

Haha could be very good in the right situation, but isn't ever going to be what makes your defense great. And yes, I wish we weren't talking about replacing one of our top 3 defenders. 

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

HaHa has a projected $9.1 APY contract projection per Spotrac. But he may have played that down a bit I don’t know. $7-8m APY for a 26 year old Safety is who has pedigree is fine. Him or Collins either one

Archived