Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Hmmmm....Dance or Football moves?  😂

Have to imagine Norman will be gone this year. From my fans perspective, it seemed Norman became less engaged, a loss of energy or want to lead this season. Not blaming him or anything, just an observation when comparing his first and second seasons. 

Im no psychologist, curious if others have felt this? 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Have to imagine Norman will be gone this year. From my fans perspective, it seemed Norman became less engaged, a loss of energy or want to lead this season. Not blaming him or anything, just an observation when comparing his first and second seasons. 

Gruden talked specifically about us having Norman back for one more year. I thought that was strange, especially as I believe he is contracted for two more years.

Will one of the capologists please explain this.

I thought one of the reasons we traded for Smith when we still had Cousins, was that the Smith contract was supposed to be much more cap-friendly than what Cousins wanted.

But now people are saying in the 2019 offseason, that we cannot afford to get any major free agents, because we're strapped by the Smith contract.

This seems like a contradiction. Seems, so I'm not saying it is. Just would like more clarification on what has the appearance of a contradiction.

I believe the Smith contract was more cap friendly than Cousins contract. The reason the Smith contract is bad now is because if he can't play or retires the guareenteed money becomes due and the Redskins would not have the cap space to look for certain QB's to replace Smith. They could draft a QB or find a certain type Free agent QB!

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I thought one of the reasons we traded for Smith when we still had Cousins, was that the Smith contract was supposed to be much more cap-friendly than what Cousins wanted.

But now people are saying in the 2019 offseason, that we cannot afford to get any major free agents, because we're strapped by the Smith contract.

This seems like a contradiction. Seems, so I'm not saying it is. Just would like more clarification on what has the appearance of a contradiction.

Not really.

The Cousins/Smith situations had nothing to do with cap space.

Lets be honest, you know that anyway. So put the **** stirring wooden spoon away. :nono:

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Not really.

The Cousins/Smith situations had nothing to do with cap space.

Lets be honest, you know that anyway. So put the **** stirring wooden spoon away. :nono:

I am not trying to stir anything.

And I am not trying to bring a non-Skins QB into the discussion, at all.

And I know that in essence that the QB decision had other factors involved.

I know that Smith not playing this year puts us in a worse position, since it's guaranteed money.

I'm just asking for clarification, number-wise, how exactly Smith's contract keeps us from getting additional decent FA's in 2019, as some here have suggested.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's about 20.5 million for a player who is unlikely to play.  Colt is getting paid 3.5 million.  So they got 24 million wrapped in both of them.  If they intended to bring back Josh Johnson I'd guess that would be at least 2-3 million a year.   So you put it all together we are likely getting a Colt-Johnson tandem at QB for almost the same price as Kirk. 

Regardless, they didn't have a lot of cap room to begin with compared to most other teams for 2019.

Switching subjects, watched an interview with Gruden on Redskins Nation where he said losing Preston Smith would leave them with a big hole.  He said tough to anticipate what Preston would get on the open market because he's young and potential would be baked into his price.  My point sounds like they want Preston back and or if they lose him they don't seem totally confident that Ryan Anderson fills that void.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:12 PM, wit33 said:

This should be an interesting one.  During the season beat guys thought Norman would slam dunk be released -- its changed recently to he may be let go but its more likely he stays.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This should be an interesting one.  During the season beat guys thought Norman would slam dunk be released -- its changed recently to he may be let go but its more likely he stays.

With no QB next year it’s tough to rationalize keeping his salary around. It will be interesting for sure. I’m thinking this is the absolute last year for all involved (FO, coaches, high priced players) so there’s a chance they keep him. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^*quickly looks up the word “exculpatory”* 

oh....good :D 

Me too...here is a snip to save others of the search bar...haha.

"Exculpatory evidence is evidence favorable to the defendant in a criminal trial that exonerates or tends to exonerate the defendant of guilt. It is the opposite of inculpatory evidence, which tends to present guilt. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exculpatory_evidence

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Smith's deal was more cap friendly. Sub Kirk for Smith, and we have about $8M less in cap space.

The injury changes the situation though. We don't have a lot of room to invest more to the QB position.

My concern is depth especially with the secondary....  but also makes me realize that we traded fuller, dropped scandrick....  bc we were high on guys like Danny Johnson and stroman...

we also decided to only have 2 qb’s that hurt us after dropping a guy that plays for a rival?  

Whos making calls in that joint is my question?

looks like our picks will be (Alabama, Alabama , big 10 or acc defender )

Here's my FanSpeak Premium mock off-season. I kind of like it. Conservative, not tanking ... but also not breaking the bank in FA to allow some roll-over for 2020 to potentially absorb Smith's contract.

Cut: Zach Brown, Vernon Davis

Re-Signed: Jonathan Cooper (G), Adrian Peterson (RB), HaHa Clinton-Dix (FS)

Free-Agent Signings: Shane Ray (Edge), Derron Smith (S)

Draft:
1.15: Devin White, ILB LSU

2.14: Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

*Trade 3.14 for 3.20 and 4.21

3.20: Jace Sternberger, TE Texas A&M

3.32: Connor McGovern, G Penn State

4.21: Porter Gustin, Edge USC

5.15: Mark Gilbert, CB Duke

5.33: Gardner Minshew, QB Washington State

6.32: Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma

7.13: Bryce Love, RB Stanford

Summary: Shane Ray and Ryan Anderson compete for the Edge with Gustin (high upside injury history) being the 4th rotation piece. Devin White is your new thumper next to Dion-Hamilton and eventually R. Foster. Dynamic ILB situation by adding him, and possibly all-pro level play in the next 1-3 years iwth him and FOster. Sternberger adds a speed threat at TE to replcae V. Davis. McGovern to compete with Cooper at OG. Marquise Brown is your new deep threat to complement Richardson and Doctson. The rest are depth pieces ... Minshew gives the fanbase someone to at least look to should the season fall apart, but not banking the world on this draft class with an eye for 2020.

Projected cap space this year before cuts obviously...

https://nflupdate.co/updated-projected-2019-cap-space-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

1. Colts: $117M
  2. Jets: $93.8M
  3. Bills: $83.8M
  4. Browns: $82M
  5. Raiders: $71M
  6. Texans: $67M
  7. 49ers: $62M
  8. Cardinals: $61.8M
  9. Seahawks: $55M
  10. Cowboys: $54M
  11. Bengals: $52M
  12. Titans: $43.4M
  13. Broncos: $40.5M
  14. Packers: $40.5M
  15. Chiefs: $36M
  16. Rams: $35.7M
  17. Lions: $33M
  18. Ravens: $28.4M
  19. Giants: $26M
  20. Chargers: $26M
  21. Redskins: $21.4M
  22. Patriots: $21.1M
  23. Steelers: $20.6M
  24. Saints: $19.3M
  25. Panthers: $19M
  26. Falcons: $18.4M
  27. Bears: $14.3M
  28. Dolphins: $14M
  29. Bucs: $12M
  30. Vikings: $6.5M
  31. Jaguars: – $3.5M
  32. Eagles – $14M

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Projected cap space this year before cuts obviously...

https://nflupdate.co/updated-projected-2019-cap-space-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

1. Colts: $117M
  2. Jets: $93.8M
  3. Bills: $83.8M
  4. Browns: $82M
  5. Raiders: $71M
  6. Texans: $67M
  7. 49ers: $62M
  8. Cardinals: $61.8M
  9. Seahawks: $55M
  10. Cowboys: $54M
  11. Bengals: $52M
  12. Titans: $43.4M
  13. Broncos: $40.5M
  14. Packers: $40.5M
  15. Chiefs: $36M
  16. Rams: $35.7M
  17. Lions: $33M
  18. Ravens: $28.4M
  19. Giants: $26M
  20. Chargers: $26M
  21. Redskins: $21.4M
  22. Patriots: $21.1M
  23. Steelers: $20.6M
  24. Saints: $19.3M
  25. Panthers: $19M
  26. Falcons: $18.4M
  27. Bears: $14.3M
  28. Dolphins: $14M
  29. Bucs: $12M
  30. Vikings: $6.5M
  31. Jaguars: – $3.5M
  32. Eagles – $14M

I would completely blow this team up and start afresh, release Norman, Reed, Brown and Co who don't play to there cap figures. And trade Williams and Kerrigan to the highest bidder even though it hurts me to even think about trading them 2. We have to start afresh now in my opinion. 

HTTR 

Just now, markmills67 said:

I would completely blow this team up and start afresh, release Norman, Reed, Brown and Co who don't play to there cap figures. And trade Williams and Kerrigan to the highest bidder even though it hurts me to even think about trading them 2. We have to start afresh now in my opinion. 

HTTR 

But we're so close!

Not this year markmills67..I get what your saying specially trading 71 and 91 but with gruden returning ya know it won't happen.. maybe the 2020 season when it all blows up.

Holy **** you have to be kidding me on that “projected cap list”. 

Look at all the teams with more cap space who made the playoffs. This team is so bad on the field and off the field.

How can such a mediocre team such little talent and cap space. 

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Holy **** you have to be kidding me on that “projected cap list”. 

Look at all the teams with more cap space who made the playoffs. This team is so bad on the field and off the field.

How can such a mediocre team such little talent and cap space. 

because a lot of ther guys who would make us better than mediocre finished the year on IR

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

Agreed. I'd trade pretty much any/every player of value we can before cutting or releasing, tho. I'd definitely release Alex Smith and give TW71 and RK91 the choice of staying. We'd only get 5/6/7 round picks back for most of our guys, but it's better than nothing. Eat all the bad contracts and big cap hits now, and look to 2020 season as Year 1 of the official rebuild.

This is all after the front office (#FireBruceAllen) is gutted, of course.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Being strapped for cap space is one of the most over exaggerated problems discussed/around. 

Without a doubt.

Also, everyone talking about gutting the team...that is not going to happen. Not on purpose. Remember, they are "very close". You have to look at this thing the way they are, what is the best product we can put on the field.  

Archived