Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just now, DC9 said:

I like that he's chosen the Skins over the Falcons more than anything.  I suspect he understands he's a role player in both spots.  Curious if the money and playing time are equal in both places, what made him choose us?

Excuse my laziness but who chose us over the Falcons?

21 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Jeez man. It's not like he was a habitiual offender. And you have no idea if he's demanding anything crazy or trying to fleece someone. And he clearly has interest from other teams. Little harsh, no?

Yes..with the explosiveness off the line some will definitely be wondering about his achilles when he joins a different team that we play and he gets multiple sacks on Smith...

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Someone posted the list the other day, hit rate if I recall at 19%.  Not hot.  But in their defense when you do the bottom shopping the odds are naturally not going to be with you.

Im sure it's not far off from the league average and Im of the opinion finding high quality starters should be weighted much higher than depth FA signings. Especially when we didn't overpay for them.

Norman, Swearinger, Zach Brown, and Vernon Davis were home runs. And to a lesser extent guys like Dunbar, Nsekhe, Mason Foster, Colt McCoy are essential to "hit" on as key reserves/role players/glue guys.

And if the FAs we missed on weren't overpaid and didn't leave a bunch of dead money on the books when cut, I'd say we're winning overall in that department.

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree we do not know what he is asking. May in reflection be reasonable. But I think his comments about being offered "slave" wages when many fans will not make in their entire lifetime what one years salary will be set people the wrong way on him. It was just a dumb statement and goes to his lack of judgement.  

Not at all unhappy they pulled the offer, and for me I a don't really care at this point if it was fair or a low-ball offer. The team does not need that kind of attitude. 

Yeah I kind of agree with you.  While it's true in NFL terms he was paid peanuts let's not forget the reason he was available in the first place and the fact that he gave the Redskins (through little fault of his own) virtually nothing after they paid him for 3 years. 

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I agree. I am not loosing any sleep now that JG is gone. For 2 years I waited for this bum to show me how great of a pass rusher he was and when he finally got on the field he looked lost to me, without any deep penetration. Did he actually drive a LT back into the QB and make a sack like RK does...

For a guy coming off two achilles, yes he had a slow start to the season. However he finished the year as one of our more productive pass rushers, hence being the number 1 rated PFF free agent pass rusher.

And I think the reason you didn't see him bullrushing LTs into the quarterback is due to him being a different style pass rusher. He was a speed rusher not a power guy like RK.

But yeah I guess he was a bum?

29 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I like that he's chosen the Skins over the Falcons more than anything.  I suspect he understands he's a role player in both spots.  Curious if the money and playing time are equal in both places, what made him choose us?

Norman, Swearinger and other recent FAs have been quoted as saying they believe in what is being built here when they came to visit. I really do think we have a strong culture now, especially defensively. I think McPhee and others get excited about the potential of the team when envisioning playing alongside these guys. 

Surprise we have not check in on this guy considering we were last against the run.

Bucs released DE Robert Ayers.
Ayers had a $1 million roster bonus due on Sunday. His release creates $6 million in cap savings, so this was an easy move. Ayers has seen his sacks decline the last two seasons, but remains a solid run stopperMar 17 - 4:56 PM

19 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

For a guy coming off two achilles, yes he had a slow start to the season. However he finished the year as one of our more productive pass rushers, hence being the number 1 rated PFF free agent pass rusher.

And I think the reason you didn't see him bullrushing LTs into the quarterback is due to him being a different style pass rusher. He was a speed rusher not a power guy like RK.

But yeah I guess he was a bum?

This argument has gotten recycled multiple times in the thread.  I think most people's concerns about Gallete are in light of his SIGNIFICANT injury history, not his ability to rush the passer. The guy you quoted wasn't watching the same games apparently...

Everyone is allowed to have a different level of risk tolerance.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understand it was needed for depth but color me unexcited at the signing of a "pass rusher" with 30 sacks in 7 season. Looks like Preston Smith Lite.

I sure hope this does not mean they are out on Hankins.  As frustrating as it was I was kind thinking the longer it went on the better their offer will look as other teams sign others, utilize their remaining cap and drop out. Clearly it will be tied with the Suh signing.  

453c8bc3-803d-4ca3-b7a1-a7d48ab99fc8.jpg

Coloring you unexcited, was pretty exciting. 

Goskins10, Junior Gallette was referring to the fact that Trent Murphy is coming off a suspension for PEDS and a torn ACL/MCL and got 7 million a year off one good year 9.5 sacks.

Junior Gallette has NEVER been suspended for drugs and has way better career stats than Trent Murphy and the Redskins paid him vet minimum the two years he had achilles problems then didn't give him much playing time last year yet he was still 3rd in the NFL in QB pressures. All he was saying is give me fair compensation, pay me what my stats say I'm worth.

Some of you guys on this board kill me always want to lowball productive players (Gallette, Zack Brown, Breeland) "only sign them for team friendly deals" but other players (Cousins, Murphy, Long) "pay them whatever they want whatever it takes to keep them".

Very suspect to me, hmm!

4 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

Goskins10, Junior Gallette was referring to the fact that Trent Murphy is coming off a suspension for PEDS and a torn ACL/MCL and got 7 million a year off one good year 9.5 sacks.

Junior Gallette has NEVER been suspended for drugs and has way better career stats than Trent Murphy and the Redskins paid him vet minimum the two years he had achilles problems then didn't give him much playing time last year yet he was still 3rd in the NFL in QB pressures. All he was saying is give me fair compensation, pay me what my stats say I'm worth.

Some of you guys on this board kill me always want to lowball productive players (Gallette, Zack Brown, Breeland) "only sign them for team friendly deals" but other players (Cousins, Murphy, Long) "pay them whatever they want whatever it takes to keep them".

Very suspect to me, hmm!

Before you get too far on your high horse and before you continue going to the place that you’re trying to go...

A lot of people on this forum didn’t love the money Kirk wanted, wanted nothing to do with Murphy. And mostly everyone wanted Brown brought back. 

Youre trying to go to a ridiculous place. Please don’t go there.

So this McPhee guys is touted as not being special but instead a solid rotational guy who is strong and has a motor. Great, sounds like the same crap when we signed the likes of Andre Carter, Rickey Jean, and that one cowboys lineman who’s name I can’t remember.

15 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

Very suspect to me, hmm!

You clearly have a problem with reading - so I will help you. 

First, I am very well aware of his complaint - that Trent Murphy and some other guys got bigger money than he was being offered. While he may have a legitimate complaint in NFL terms - something I did not say he was wrong about even though you felt compelled to defend him - the use of the term "slave" wages is just plain stupid and shows a complete lack of class and judgement considering most fans will not make in their lifetime what he will make in a single contract.

I will have to assume you are lumping me in with your lowball/pay different players differently rant since you not differentiate - SO I said nothing about those offers- only that I did not care if the team had low-balled him or not., WHat he said was stupid.

As for the others - while I do not have time to address each person in your list - I can tell you that your inference is false. There are very few people on either of the extremes you mentioned - lowball some players only to a team friendly deal - while paying other players what ever they want to keep them. 

May want to slow the accusations down a little or at least focus on specific people instead of broad stroked rant accusing many of the extremes only espoused by a very few. 

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

So this McPhee guys is touted as not being special but instead a solid rotational guy who is strong and has a motor. Great, sounds like the same crap when we signed the likes of Andre Carter, Rickey Jean, and that one cowboys lineman who’s name I can’t remember.

He's not a speed rusher but he's not awful either. He sets a good edge against the run and forces the outside run back inside so our NT, ummm, our NT, ummm, never mind. He will force the play back inside so that the runner can instead run up the middle for a huge gain. 

Speaking of Murphy, thank God he is gone. What a wasted 2nd round pick. Who would look at a lanky dude like that, that is not fast, strong or shifty and think “hey lets draft this guy in the 2nd round”. 

As a person, probably a very good dude but we need guys who can play football.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We got no idea one way or another.  Someone asked Keim this specific question on twitter and he wasn't even sure if the Redskins made him an offer.  He just said they are aware of Hankins price tag.

That was me. ? Didn't really clarify the situation. Oh well...

Murphy was country strong and would throw refrigerators around the yard for exercise.  Agree about his first step not being nfl elite but the up and down in weigt we asked him to do might have hampered his success.  Look how we used Lo Alexander....we made him a DL, OL, FB, then he goes to buff and leans out and leads them in sacks and goes to a probowl.  Why couldn't that have happened here?   Probably because we had bigger names at OLB and didn't give him the chance.  Uunless I'm off and in Buff he was a DE but still both happy and sad for his success away from Wash.

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

Speaking of Murphy, thank God he is gone. What a wasted 2nd round pick. Who would look at a lanky dude like that, that is not fast, strong or shifty and think “hey lets draft this guy in the 2nd round”. 

As a person, probably a very good dude but we need guys who can play football.

Well, there must've been something good about him, because from what I understand, 3 or 4 teams were in pursuit of him (including the Packers) before he signed with the Bills.

They must've liked something about him.

47 minutes ago, dyst said:

Stephen Bowen, correct? 

Archived