Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Sounds like Lions, after failing to re-sign Ngata, may push to sign Hankins - all speculation though

Always thought he might go to the Lions, he is a local boy from what I’ve read. Still hoping he will be a Redskin. 

4 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

@ B&W:   A 2-year deal for ~$10 million for a washed-up Scandrick, is not exactly a 'meh' signing.  It's a poor investment in the Skins dwindling cap space, on yet another Dallas cast-off. (So maybe Bruce can wriggle out of his earlier ex-Cowboy signing to create more cap space?)

Your ignoring that its 2 years 10 million max. There could be 6 million in incentives for all we know and its just a cap hit of 2 million per year otherwise. What we do know is its not a 10 million deal which is why they specify max. Once we get contract details if its actually 5 million a year fine, but thats very doubtful.

Cooley's film breakdown of Scandrick was a bit depressing today.  Again I know Cooley has his critics here.  He isn't always right.  Having said that, I consider Scandrick just a depth guy sort of like Will Blackmon years ago.  Hopefully he can stay health though.  and if they are going cheap at CB in order to be aggressive elsewhere, I am all for it.

I was just reading Finlay's article about Williams.  What struck me was Ziggy Hood was ranked dead last with PFF at nose, wow.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-bring-another-defensive-lineman-free-agency-visit-source

Among 79 nose tackles Pro Football Focus graded, Williams ranked 36th. For comparison, Bengals star Geno Atkins ranked No. 1, Dontari Poe ranked 26th, former Redskin Chris Baker ranked 65th and current Redskin Ziggy Hood ranked 79th. 

39 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why is Jay Gruden on 1067 with Grant who has been so anti the team for so long with the whole Kirk situation.

Jay was good on it.  But Grant isn't anti-Jay, he's anti-Bruce. Grant is fairly pro Jay typically.   So is everyone else on 106.7as Bruce-Jay but to different degrees with different angles.  980 isn't that Bruce friendly either.   All seem to love Jay.

12 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Just looking at his entire career, he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear.  Says he only played 1 season of high school football and started one game.  Didn't get recruited by any colleges, went to a community college, walked on one year there, then went to UNC and played for 2 years and then drafted first round by the Broncos.  He's played 5 years in the NFL.  

Similar to Josh Norman, not a lot of millage on his body yet.  I'd rather have Hankins, sure.  But Sly might not be a bad pickup if we can't get Hankins, a stop gap for one season at a bargain price.  And if he does perform well, even better.

I don't have a strong opinion on him one way or another.  On the surface I like the fact that he seems an upgrade over Hood.  But he doesn't come off as anything special as a nose either.  I'd take him over nothing.  But if that's who they sign, I am back to wanting Vea.

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Why are we all so bothered about compensatory picks for 2019, we will still have the clueless Allen running the show, so why bother. Just sign some good players for NOW not passed it players on the cheap.

HTTR 

why do you think that Allen would be able to sign good players now if he can't draft them?  You can't say that it's because they're playing good now, because all the players we've signed in the past had good years behind them

14 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

He's just a Just A Guy?

That's almost as bad as the early 90's when people said "HIV Virus" all the time.  Human Immunodeficiency Virus virus.

I think he was saying he was just a JAG, as in a Jaguar... Not he's just a just a guy. 

Image result for rim shot

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Why are we all so bothered about compensatory picks for 2019, we will still have the clueless Allen running the show, so why bother. Just sign some good players for NOW not passed it players on the cheap.

HTTR 

What about all of the good players we have drafted over the last few years? We have a whole scouting department that does good work.

20 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't want to go into the year expecting too much from a 7th rounder. But at the same time I hope his contract doesn't take away the competition at slot corner.

That was my biggest concern. If you bring in a solid vet to play nickel where does that leave Moreau's develop or Holsey's? But at the same time you need depth. Looking for Moreau to make major strides and challenge Dunbar. I don't think the drop off if that much from Breeland to Dunbar. Mostly the run support. Breeland was more physical.

11 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Your ignoring that its 2 years 10 million max. There could be 6 million in incentives for all we know and its just a cap hit of 2 million per year otherwise. What we do know is its not a 10 million deal which is why they specify max. Once we get contract details if its actually 5 million a year fine, but thats very doubtful.

Even if it is a $3 million a year contact  (and one can easily assume the Skins offer had to be decent enough to convince Scandrick  that the Skins team was a serious option for a quick signing), that's still probably too much.  

My post was more about Allen failing to invest in areas that will help the team improve.  Ever since Shanahan, the Skins have always needed a NT -- and certainly more than some cast-off "bandaid" for backup DB.

18 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

@ B&W:   A 2-year deal for ~$10 million for a washed-up Scandrick, is not exactly a 'meh' signing.  It's a poor investment in the Skins dwindling cap space, on yet another Dallas cast-off. (So maybe Bruce can wriggle out of his earlier ex-Cowboy signing to create more cap space?)

Sorry, I saw no logic to this signing of an aging, often-injured Cowboy cast-off, who is not that familiar with the Skins defensive schemes. (As a DB vet player-coach???... C'mon!!!). Even worse, Scandrick's signing, seems to support a growing realization that under Allen's FO, the Skins aren't willing to seriously invest in a cornerstone NT for their vaunted 3-4.

And please, don't come back to me with some quote from Manusky or Tomsula on how they don't need a "classic" NT and how the likes of Hood, and other light-weight DTs, are sufficient for this need.  They HAVE to sip the Allen Kool-Aid.  Maybe folks can't realize it, but Allen doesn't tolerate dissent for very long.

Sorry, but the Skins D failure to shut down teams on 3rd down, has a lot to do with the fact that they've always settled for a shoddy solution for NT for a 3-4 defense.  And should Scandrick help out on special teams, it's not really helping the defense.  

It's an over-pay for an ill-advised signing, trying to fix the fact that Allen gave up Fuller in the Smith trade. And I really get the sense that even Scandrick is stunned he wound up with the Skins, certainly not his franchise of choice.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that Bryce Allen isn't trying to build a team to win a Super Bowl -- he's trying to cobble together a "personnel solution" with a few "cheaply" acquired FA's with name-recognition, who the Skins can then point to,  as they hype/market their "new, improved Redskins 2018"  to the fan-base.

... Sadly, these short-term cosmetic changes only go so far.  But, as Allen probably reminds Snyder, "there's always the next off-season, for a rinse and repeat, right?"

Except you assume scandrick is signed at 5mil per.  If it's incentive heavy, it may really only be a 2yr at 2-3m per deal.  Much more reasonable.

10 minutes ago, #BgMase76# said:

That was my biggest concern. If you bring in a solid vet to play nickel where does that leave Moreau's develop or Holsey's? But at the same time you need depth. Looking for Moreau to make major strides and challenge Dunbar. I don't think the drop off if that much from Breeland to Dunbar. Mostly the run support. Breeland was more physical.

I think we've seen the last few years that all the corners will get their snaps.

If Scandrick is good, then I'll take that over worrying about development.  If Scandrick is bad (or Dunbar for that matter), Holsey or Moreau will still play.

9 minutes ago, #BgMase76# said:

With this signing, I get the perception that they want to add a veteran presence to the DB group which is mostly made up of young guys, minus Norman. I have no problem with bringing in a veteran guy who can show some of the younger players on our team how to be professionals and how much work it takes to be a player in this league. At one point, Scandrick, as a fifth-round rookie, beat out the Cowboys' first-round pick Mike Jenkins for a starting position. He has made a successful career out of being a late round draft pick and I think that experience will be invaluable for guys like Holsey, Moreaue, Nicholson, etc. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan834 said:

With this signing, I get the perception that they want to add a veteran presence to the DB group which is mostly made up of young guys, minus Norman. I have no problem with bringing in a veteran guy who can show some of the younger players on our team how to be professionals and how much work it takes to be a player in this league. At one point, Scandrick, as a fifth-round rookie, beat out the Cowboys' first-round pick Mike Jenkins for a starting position. He has made a successful career out of being a late round draft pick and I think that experience will be invaluable for guys like Holsey, Moreau, Nicholson, etc. 

Tie that to the WRs with the addition of Brian Quick.   Those youngins need a vet too but also sounds like Richardson has some experience.  Never hurts to have a guy that's been there in that position. 

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't care about that pick, I just want Grant to get a nice deal. Ravens did him bad. He has been nothing more then hard worker, he earned a nice payday. Let's hope Colts give him that

Me too just saying. :)

Archived