Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would go further to say this is total figment of many people imaginations. The comp pick is a consolation prize and you do not know what you are going to get. Why would you keep from signing an established player that you can help your team to save a comp pick that you have no idea can help you? 

It just makes no sense what so ever. 

It matters because if you want to maximize value in your signings and are in a position to be raided like the team was this year then adding guys who were released, cut, or traded is more attractive then adding free agents.

Allen Hurns Jaguars is getting released. Would love to see him here, good player and obligatory no comp picks would be effected if they signed him

2 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Still trying to figure out if Sylvester Williams is 29 years old. Wikipedia and other sites say 1988 birth year. That would have made him 24.5 years old when he was drafted. Doesn't add up 

Some guys are drafted when they are 20 years old like Zeke. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This is really the thing. Many people are losing their **** and we do not know the details. Maybe there is good cause. But until we know details - Scandricks exact contract - what Hankins wants, it seems really premature to get too pissed. 

So many people over-reacting it's been kind of comical actually. And hey I am no Bruce Allen fan. I think they guy is a douche. But that does not mean everything that happens is because he screwed up. 

Until we know the details, it does not make much sense to get too upset. But I have to admit it's been entertaining watching people lose their **** over it. 

i think the fan reaction to up to $5 million a year for a below average corner is completely understandable, especially when it probably meant they didn't have the money available to sign a true difference maker.   Given the other contracts signed by other corners, including the one Bree originally signed, makes the Scandricks signing hard to understand.

8 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Still trying to figure out if Sylvester Williams is 29 years old. Wikipedia and other sites say 1988 birth year. That would have made him 24.5 years old when he was drafted. Doesn't add up 

read his profile in his wiki.  H only played one season of high school football and wasn't recruited.  He walked onto a community college team after working for a few years then transfered to UNC-Chapel Hill.  He was still good enough to be drafted in the first round

4 minutes ago, carex said:

they're saying the Skins are only looking at released guys because they want comp picks.  Like there were a ton of nose tackles available before

Is wanting free draft picks somehow bad to other people now?

I want the Redskins to get as many free picks as possible where ever possible and as much as possible. I am biased of course. I just don’t see any reason not to be as a fan. 

And it’s because of those picks I want them to sign Hankins over someone like Suh, but not the only reason. Suh is much older then Hankins and will likely demand to be paid like Hankins and they are very similar in ability. So one guy allows them to not lose any picks and the other takes picks from them. To me no brainer sign the guy who isn’t going to cost the team picks 

8 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

He was older at UNC. I believe he was a JC for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

i think the fan reaction to $5 million a year for a below average corner is completely understandable, especially when it probably meant they didn't have the money available to sign a true difference maker.   Given the other contracts signed by other corners, including the one Bree originally signed, makes the Scandricks signing hard to understand.

Fans don’t understand the cap. They hear two years ten million and think that it cost them 5 million on the cap. It very well more likely then not likely is actually going to cost them much less then that. NFL contracts are not to be taken like other sports contracts.

In the NBA those deals are guarenteed money. In the NFL they aren’t. That’s why the news about the contracts say things like “maximum” or “up to” when they say money.

Examples of this are everywhere. Sam Bradford just signed a two year deal reported to be worth 40 million. If someone says Sam Bradford is going to make 20 million a season while that’s possible it’s highly unlikely. Check out this explanation of the contract

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/3/19/17139876/sam-bradford-contract-2018-arizona-cardinals

NFL contract wording is funny money and not to be taken at face value. Many things have to go right for Scandrick to get five million per season here and that’s unlikely

7 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

No way in hell Danny knows who Orlando Scandrick is!

the Redskins have played him 20 times and he has at least one INT against us.  Why shouldn't he?

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Is wanting free draft picks somehow bad to other people now?

I want the Redskins to get as many free picks as possible where ever possible and as much as possible. I am biased of course. I just don’t see any reason not to be as a fan. 

And it’s because of those picks I want them to sign Hankins over someone like Suh, but not the only reason. Suh is much older then Hankins and will likely demand to be paid like Hankins and they are very similar in ability. So one guy allows them to not lose any picks and the other takes picks from them. To me no brainer sign the guy who isn’t going to cost the team picks 

Suh would also not cost us a comp pick

19 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Use a calculator dude and do 2018 - 1988 via his age.  29 soon to be 30 in November.  :) 

20 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Allen Hurns Jaguars is getting released. Would love to see him here, good player and obligatory no comp picks would be effected if they signed him

I would love to bring him in on a one year deal.  He can help short term, groom a young WR we draft, and then when he signs elsewhere we'll get more comp picks!!!

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Suh would also not cost us a comp pick

Thanks for pointing that out, still don’t want Suh. So okay in the above use Shelton Richardson.

Would you rather

1. Pay Hankins and not lose draft pick?

2. Pay Richardson and lose draft pick?

If the players are equal and the money is similar why would you choose the player where the team loses a pick?

2 minutes ago, carex said:

I swear this board went from calling ever average player mediocre to calling them JAGs.  and it is annoying

A JAG is an average player.

Bottom line is we don't need any more at that specific position.

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am not counting on him but it's kind of silly to discount the possibility so I'll ask: What is Phil Taylor's status?

Free agent. They could bring him back and it not cost them any picks since they had his rights last year. 

Just now, JSSkinz said:

A JAG is an average player.

Bottom line is we don't need any more at that specific position.

Jag is a position the team needs filled? If so Bruce does a damn good job of hiring that job every year :)

Gaining comp picks has been the eventual goal of the team for a while. 

Scot talked about this when he was first brought in, when discussing his free agency strategy. I'm sure this strategy is still a goal. 

I personally think it's a good goal that should be weighed against losing potential acquisitions. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit I haven't paid attention to Sylvester Williams as an option.   Purely as to reading about him -- he doesn't get me jazzed.  He will be 30 during the season.  Tennessee papers said he was disappointing.  PFF graded him as average.

I'd take him over nothing.   But with Hankins getting 9 million a year last year...if per chance he is in the same boat this time (and clearly I don't know one way or another)...I'd take him at 9 over Williams at lets say 5 million.  I am not a big fan at least in theory of 30 year old noses coming off of an off year versus getting a young potential building block who looks to be clearly the better player.

Just looking at his entire career, he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear.  Says he only played 1 season of high school football and started one game.  Didn't get recruited by any colleges, went to a community college, walked on one year there, then went to UNC and played for 2 years and then drafted first round by the Broncos.  He's played 5 years in the NFL.  

Similar to Josh Norman, not a lot of millage on his body yet.  I'd rather have Hankins, sure.  But Sly might not be a bad pickup if we can't get Hankins, a stop gap for one season at a bargain price.  And if he does perform well, even better.

@ B&W:   A 2-year deal for ~$10 million for a washed-up Scandrick, is not exactly a 'meh' signing.  It's a poor investment in the Skins dwindling cap space, on yet another Dallas cast-off. (So maybe Bruce can wriggle out of his earlier ex-Cowboy signing to create more cap space?)

Sorry, I saw no logic to this signing of an aging, often-injured Cowboy cast-off, who is not that familiar with the Skins defensive schemes. (As a DB vet player-coach???... C'mon!!!). Even worse, Scandrick's signing, seems to support a growing realization that under Allen's FO, the Skins aren't willing to seriously invest in a cornerstone NT for their vaunted 3-4.

And please, don't come back to me with some quote from Manusky or Tomsula on how they don't need a "classic" NT and how the likes of Hood, and other light-weight DTs, are sufficient for this need.  They HAVE to sip the Allen Kool-Aid.  Maybe folks can't realize it, but Allen doesn't tolerate dissent for very long.

Sorry, but the Skins D failure to shut down teams on 3rd down, has a lot to do with the fact that they've always settled for a shoddy solution for NT for a 3-4 defense.  And should Scandrick help out on special teams, it's not really helping the defense.  

It's an over-pay for an ill-advised signing, trying to fix the fact that Allen gave up Fuller in the Smith trade. And I really get the sense that even Scandrick is stunned he wound up with the Skins, certainly not his franchise of choice.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that Bryce Allen isn't trying to build a team to win a Super Bowl -- he's trying to cobble together a "personnel solution" with a few "cheaply" acquired FA's with name-recognition, who the Skins can then point to,  as they hype/market their "new, improved Redskins 2018"  to the fan-base.

... Sadly, these short-term cosmetic changes only go so far.  But, as Allen probably reminds Snyder, "there's always the next off-season, for a rinse and repeat, right?"

Archived