Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why is Jay Gruden on 1067 with Grant who has been so anti the team for so long with the whole Kirk situation.

Because he’s one of the few normal people in that building who aren’t petty as crap? :ols: 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got no problem with that on some positions.  But IMO you go top of the market on DT.  You go cheaper on other positions.   Ask Jacksonville?  Giants turned around their defense in one year in part by signing two D lineman.  Vikings.  Eagles.  You win on the D line.  I am not so interested in getting the best deal on D line.  I want a marquee player within reason.  But I don't see for example the Richardson signing by the Vikings as an overpay.

Exactly. It reminds me of this weird grocery shopping philosophy my wife has. 

Sometimes she comes home with the groceries and it’s missing a solid assortment of fruits. When I ask why, she says they were “too expensive today”. :ols: 

Now, just for added context, we’re fortunate enough to where we aren’t strapped for cash or anything. No budget on groceries. 

So it blows my mind when she says this.

I tell her, that’s nice that you’re trying to save where you can and not be wasteful, but why didn’t you apply that thinking on the junk food and all the other nonsense you brought home in those bags instead? You’re choosing to save on the healthy stuff that’s going to benefit us the most? 

She laughs. 

And then she pulls that **** again, every time fruit prices go up or something. I swear it’s the only price differential she notices.  :ols: 

Oh my God, I just realized I’m married to Bruce Allen. 

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Still studying up on Williams so maybe my mind will change.  For the moment, he seems like just a guy at NT.  Having said that Ziggy is arguably worst than just a guy at NT.   I wouldn't be excited about the signing, wouldn't hate it.  Main thing I'd like about it is it opens things up perhaps at other positions in the draft.  I don't like having "must" positions to address in the draft.

BPA is a myth that ignores team offensive and defensive philosophies and what rosters already have.  Trying to fill every position before the draft is a waste of money

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But IMO you go top of the market on DT.  You go cheaper on other positions.  

I think this is an important strategic point. Unless you have a bluechipper you are grooming and just want a mentor/transition guy there are some positions not to go cheap on.  

Cheap can be very expensive. That's why when buying a high price item like a car or a computer we do more research and buy the highest quality one we can. Otherwise, while we save a few bucks in the short term we wind up suffering. Now, that doesn't mean buying the most expensive car on the lot. I'll take my Prius that has never seen a garage for repairs in seven years and gets 45 mpg against a Lamborghini that costs 200,000 K always needs a mechanic and gets 10 mpg. Haynesworth was a Lamborghini... well, he was an oversized SUV Lamborghini, but Albert definitely ran out of gas well before the first quarter was over. 

Hankins seems like an expenisve, but good quality vehicle. He seems like one that consumer reports might rave for. It's always ready for the road, has plenty of power, and a solid all weather performer. So, it's okay to spend big for quality. 

What happens when you go cheap on a big price item is you get uncertain results. Sometimes, that no name generic stereo is awesome and sometimes it sounds like a car radio in a tunnel. Long story too late to make short... there are good times to open up the wallet. DT, corner, QB, and elite pass rusher would be the prime cases. 

39 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I remember the last time we signed a 4 3 guy and wanted him to play nose, Haynesworth.

I wish we would stop signing players who excel in one position and want them to play another. 

Square peg in a round hole.

Overall I tend to agree - but in fairness the Colts played a 3-4 last year and Hankins played NT. He did very well too. The reason they released him - at least what they said anyway - is that they are moving to 4-3. 

18 minutes ago, carex said:

we didn't actually do that, despite what many people think.  We signed Haynesworth in 2009 and we were still a 4-3 team, Shanahan brought in the 3-4 the next year

And then there is this - OP is right. When Haynesworth was signed the team ran a 4-3. Now there is also the fact that AH was complaining about the type of 4-3 even before MS got here. But still, when signed he was a 4-3 DT signed to be a 4-3 DT. 

20 minutes ago, carex said:

BPA is a myth that ignores team offensive and defensive philosophies and what rosters already have.  Trying to fill every position before the draft is a waste of money

OK, then running with that logic, I'd like the signing even less as to Sylvester.  Bruce -- please chase Hankins! :ols:

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think this is an important strategic point. Unless you have a bluechipper you are grooming and just want a mentor/transition guy there are some positions not to go cheap on.  

Cheap can be very expensive. That's why when buying a high price item like a car or a computer we do more research and buy the highest quality one we can. Otherwise, while we save a few bucks in the short term we wind up suffering. Now, that doesn't mean buying the most expensive car on the lot. I'll take my Prius that has never seen a garage for repairs in seven years and gets 45 mpg against a Lamborghini that costs 200,000 K always needs a mechanic and gets 10 mpg. Haynesworth was a Lamborghini... well, he was an oversized SUV Lamborghini, but Albert definitely ran out of gas well before the first quarter was over. 

Hankins seems like an expenisve, but good quality vehicle. He seems like one that consumer reports might rave for. It's always ready for the road, has plenty of power, and a solid all weather performer. So, it's okay to spend big for quality. 

What happens when you go cheap on a big price item is you get uncertain results. Sometimes, that no name generic stereo is awesome and sometimes it sounds like a car radio in a tunnel. Long story too late to make short... there are good times to open up the wallet. DT, corner, QB, and elite pass rusher would be the prime cases. 

Good analogy.  If they signed Calais Campbell for example last year.  I doubt we'd be at the place we are now.  Now it looks like McClain is likely gone and McGee isn't a cornerstone problem solving solution.   So now are chasing DTs again in the FA.  

I know its not all cut and dry like that.  But your analogy to me is perfectly on point.  If we sign S. Williams.  The dude is 30.  This would be his 3rd team in 3 years.  Would it be a shock if he doesn't work out? Would it be that far fetched?  I don't think so.  Now we are looking for guys again in 2019?

IMO you don't just plug in guys and play merry ground with FA at DT.  Go high end some.   And this isn't a knock on Allen and Ionnaidis.  I like both guys.  But monster D lines are about more than 2 impact players. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO you don't plug in guys and play merry ground with FA at DT.  And this isn't a knock on Allen and Ionnaidis.  I like both guys.  But monster D lines are about more than 2 impact players. 

I like it too. My only word of caution is that if you've done your research and realize what you want is a high quality Volvo you can pay market for it, you can even pay a premium, but you don't pay double the sticker price. I don't what kind of premium Hankins or Williams wants, but while overpaying is okay overpaying a lot can bite you.

The other thing is I believe Ioannidis and Allen got hurt because we really ran them down early in the season. They were playing like every single snap. Especially Allen, if I remember right. 

I loved that info showing Hankins played almost 700 snaps. Impressive. 

I want an impact signing there that can take their place consistently with little to no drop off. That’ll increase the chances of a healthy season for all of them. Otherwise it’s tough to take them out when you know there’s a significant drop off and it could cost you a first down, a long drive, a score, and even a game. 

Puts your coaches in a tough, tough spot having to choose. 

34 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Exactly. It reminds me of this weird grocery shopping philosophy my wife has. 

Sometimes she comes home with the groceries and it’s missing a solid assortment of fruits. When I ask why, she says they were “too expensive today”. :ols: 

Now, just for added context, we’re fortunate enough to where we aren’t strapped for cash or anything. No budget on groceries. 

So it blows my mind when she says this.

Getting off topic but I have to share this on wives, shopping and 'logic'.

A few years ago my wife went out clothes shopping in the end of year 'sales'. She would not dream of taking me and I would not dream of going. 

She came back several hours later with MANY bags of clothes. "I bought all these for the kids - sorted them out for the next six months AND I have saved us over 400 pounds on the clothes (this was when we were still in the UK) ... and with the 400 pounds I saved, I bought this dress for myself!"

Talk about blowing your mind.

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I like it too. My only word of caution is that if you've done your research and realize what you want is a high quality Volvo you can pay market for it, you can even pay a premium, but you don't pay double the sticker price. I don't what kind of premium Hankins or Williams wants, but while overpaying is okay overpaying a lot can bite you.

I agree.  I wanted Richardson though for example and in my book he didn't get overpaid.   Hankins got 9 million last time.  I doubt he's asking for more than that now.   

I'd rather get him at 9 million a year than Sylvester Williams at 5 million a year -- even if you can gloat that the Williams was the "better deal"

Cooley-Sheehan were talking about that this morning.  The Rams identified that they need top corners to do what they want to do on defense.  They identified top targets and just did it.   They knew they needed top level corners to make that next step.  And chased them.  And sometimes that's what you got to do to upgrade a position.  Jax had a so so D line.  Two FA seasons in a row they signed the top D lineman on the market and now they have a monster D line.

And yeah you can't do that everywhere for every position.  But to me d line is a position that's worth it.

Just now, MartinC said:

Getting off topic but I have to share this on wives, shopping and 'logic'.

A few years ago my wife went out clothes shopping in the end of year 'sales'. She would not dream of taking me and I would not dream of going. 

She came back several hours later with MANY bags of clothes. "I bought all these for the kids - sorted them out for the next six months AND I have saved us over 400 pounds on the clothes (this was when we were still in the UK) ... and with the 400 pounds I saved, I bought this dress for myself!"

Talk about blowing your mind.

The good old “I saved by spending on sales” twisted philosophy. A personal favorite. :ols:

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Replacing young guys like Fuller and Breeland with 30+ year old Scandrick who was a bum in Dallas(not even in PFF's top 100 CBs)...

Some things never change.

Fuller was necessary to get a QB that actually WANTED to be here. Breeland sucked and was burned constantly. But you are right that some things never change. And that is this fan base.

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

The good old “I saved by spending on sales” twisted philosophy. A personal favorite. :ols:

Yeah I gave that battle up years ago - but then SPENDING THE SUPPOSED SAVING?? That was a whole new level of beyond the matrix.

Imagine a front 7 of Preston Smith, Jonathan Allen, Vita Vea, Mason Foster, Zach Brown, Jonathan Hankins and Ryan Kerrigan.  That would/should be as good as any Front 7 in football and you can sub Ionniddis, Lanier and McGee.  Make it Happen Bruce!!!!!!!  

Keim -- saying what I did about if you sign Williams, you should still heavily consider chasing Vea in the draft.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35996/redskins-keep-looking-for-help-along-defensive-line

However, it’s a necessary part and if they can sign a guy like Hankins, it affords them flexibility. If they added Williams, I’d still look at drafting another lineman -- Vita Vea (who belongs in the top 10) or Da’Ron Payne.

They could then cut Terrell McClain, thanks to a recent move that makes it affordable. His base salary of $3.25 million was set to become guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year. It had only been guaranteed for injury only. But the language of the contract was changed to keep it as guaranteed for injury only.

That means Washington could release McClain and, thanks to the prorated signing bonus, be on the hook for “only” $3.75 million in dead cap space. Releasing him after June 1 would spread that out over two years. Otherwise, if he’s kept, he’ll have a cap hit of $4.67 million this season and $5.75 million next season. His play needs to improve in order to justify those numbers.

Adding Hankins would be a terrific move, if the Redskins eventually get it done (the price is high right now). Last offseason, Hankins didn’t sign with the Colts until April 13 so he’s used to taking his time to get what he wants. Of course, what it got him was a deal in which he could be cut after one season (but with $10.5 million).

Still, he’s a legitimate starting defensive lineman who would pair well with Jonathan Allen and Matthew Ioannidis as young building blocks. Imagine that; of course, the Redskins could do that through the draft, too.

17 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

The other thing is I believe Ioannidis and Allen got hurt because we really ran them down early in the season. They were playing like every single snap. Especially Allen, if I remember right. 

I loved that info showing Hankins played almost 700 snaps. Impressive. 

I want an impact signing there that can take their place consistently with little to no drop off. That’ll increase the chances of a healthy season for all of them. Otherwise it’s tough to take them out when you know there’s a significant drop off and it could cost you a first down, a long drive, a score, and even a game. 

I totally agree that a rotation is the way to go for a full season...but...

Allen actually only played 129 of 246 defensive snaps in the four full games he played. Just 52% of the defensive snaps. Week 6 (game 5) he was injured and I can’t remember when he left the game so I didn’t add that game. 
Wk 1: 42 of 69 defensive snaps
Wk 2: 28 of 50 defensive snaps
Wk 3: 22 of 51 defensive snaps
Wk 4: 37 of 76 defensive snaps
Wk 6: 29 of 72 defensive snaps (injured during game)

Ioannidis averaged about 55% of the defensive snaps...but I don't think a broken hand has anything to do with being overworked.  

ESPN's John Keim reports the Redskins are interested in free agent NT Bennie Logan.

No visit is scheduled but Logan remains firmly on Washington's radar. The ex-Chief would likely be a fallback for the Redskins if the team falls short in its pursuit of Sylvester Williams, who is visiting on Tuesday. The Redskins also hosted Johnathan Hankins on Sunday, though he left without a contract.

thesubmittedone,

Your post joking about being married to Bruce Allen is one of the many reasons why I come to ES.  Following the Redskins has been very painful for a number of years now.  Coming here helps me cope with what can be a 3-ring circus of a football team. 

Thanks to you and many many others for having a ridiculous sense of humor. :cheers: 

2 minutes ago, redrobert said:

ESPN's John Keim reports the Redskins are interested in free agent NT Bennie Logan.

No visit is scheduled but Logan remains firmly on Washington's radar. The ex-Chief would likely be a fallback for the Redskins if the team falls short in its pursuit of Sylvester Williams, who is visiting on Tuesday. The Redskins also hosted Johnathan Hankins on Sunday, though he left without a contract.

This is the only DT/NT that I really want to stay away from. He signed a prove-it deal last season and was terrible. PFF rated him the 94th best DT. He's probably looking for similar money to Hankins and he doesn't deserve it. Here's how I rank the NTs:

1) Hankins at $10M

2) Sylvester at $6M

3) Phil Taylor at $2M

4) Logan at $8M

5) Bring Haynesworth back as a DL coach

It appears to be official this time. Grant to the Colts for one yr $5M. It's not chump change but a far cry from the $29M deal he was supposed to have with the Ravens. And as someone else pointed out, 1 week later he passes the physical fine. I hope he does well. Still believe it was **** thing for the Ravens to do. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922183/article/ryan-grant-signs-with-colts-on-oneyear-5m-deal

Archived