Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I agree with much of what everyone else here has said. They are costing themselves money by being cheap. We are already considering cutting one of our FA DL signings from last year. Those two terrible signings should have been one quality signing. Imagine if we hadn't lucked into Allen in the draft. It would be difficult to overspend investing in a solid young player like Hankins, at a position of need and a position of value. 

I'd wager Hankins wants more than 10mil p/y.

Last year his agent started at 15mil p/y. A month later they backed off and took the Colts deal. That paid him 10.5mil in his one season there.

I think his starting point will up there with some of the top OL deals being dished out. If he's asking for less than 12 or 13 mil p/y I'd be surprised.

Much like DRC, seems like Hankins get a few days to drop his price before we'll be moving on. Dont mind how this is shaping up. Plenty of options to shore up the DL/OLB spots at the minute. 

Wonder of Logan is next. Can't see us wanting to have a decent comp pick cancelled out by signing him, so would think he'll be lucky to much north of 5mil p/y from us.

37 minutes ago, redrobert said:

ESPN's John Keim reports the Redskins are interested in free agent NT Bennie Logan.

No visit is scheduled but Logan remains firmly on Washington's radar. The ex-Chief would likely be a fallback for the Redskins if the team falls short in its pursuit of Sylvester Williams, who is visiting on Tuesday. The Redskins also hosted Johnathan Hankins on Sunday, though he left without a contract.

That would be a nice get, but how bad will that hurt our comp picks?

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

It is if it turns out it's actually $5M/yr. But we do not know that. All we know is the contract is "UP TO" $10M for 2 yrs which is why the reaction is completely premature.  Last I looked Breeland is not signed yet. So that contract he was going to sign is meaningless. 

Again, if the details come out that it's really $5M/yr for 2 yrs, fully guaranteed - or even close to that, I am with you. They over paid. But we doc not know yet. I have looked and looked. I wish they would release the details so we everyone can go nuclear all over again - over a back-up CB. 

Yeah I went back and edited that post after reading it was "up to" $10 mil.  If it's $2-$3 million/year that's OK.  If it's more that may mean he played well.  But if it's roster bonuses or whatever it's not so good. 

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am not counting on him but it's kind of silly to discount the possibility so I'll ask: What is Phil Taylor's status?

Not sure why this was dismissed so universally.  Again I'm not counting on him to be an impact player but he did tear it up in camp and plays a position of need.  I don't remember the severity of the injury, why is everyone dismissing the possibility of keeping him and seeing if he can make the roster and add depth to a weak position if he is healthy?  

What's going on with the safety market:

Safeties

Lamarcus Joyner (27) -- Frachise Tagged by LAR
Kenny Vaccaro (27) 
Morgan Burnett (29) -- Signed 3-year, $14.5M deal with PIT
Eric Reid (26) 
Tre Boston (25)

Kurt Coleman (29) -- Signed 3-year, $16.35M deal with NO

Mike Mitchell (30)

Quintin Demps (32)
Tyvon Branch (32)

Ron Parker (30)
Tavon Wilson (28) -- Re-signed 2-year, $7M deal with DET

Bradley McDougald (27) -- Re-signed 3-year, $13.5M deal with SEA
Reggie Nelson (34) 
Michael Thomas (28) 
Cody Davis (28) -- Signed 2-year, $5M deal with JAX
Terrence Brooks (26) -- Signed 2-year deal with NYJ
Corey Graham (32) 
Marcus Gilchrist (29) -- Signed 2-year deal with OAK
Darius Butler (32) 
T.J. Ward (31) 
Keith Tandy (29) -- Re-signed 2-year, $2.74M deal with TB
Don Carey (31) -- Signed 2-year, $2.5M deal with JAX

Da'Norris Searcy (29)

Lardarius Webb (32)
Nate Allen (30) 
Eddie Pleasant (29) 
Rafael Bush (30) -- Signed 2-year, $3.5M deal with BUF
Matthew Slater (32) 
Nate Ebner (29) -- Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with NE
Chris Prosinski (30) 
Nat Berhe (26) 
Walt Aikens (26) -- Re-signed 2-year, $2.7M deal with MIA
Antone Exum (27) 
Jairus Byrd (31) 
DeAngelo Hall (34)

Will Blackmon (33)
Keith McGill (29) 
Shamarko Thomas (27) 
Colt Anderson (32) 
Steven Terrell (27) 

Seems like there are still a good number of names out there and when I look at the deals being signed they are all very reasonable. 

This has been a weakness for the team for a long time. I like Swearinger, but IMO he's a lot better in the box than in coverage. Everett looked good in stints, but with him only playing in one season and ending the year hurt I don't think the teams knows what he is yet. After that there really isn't any depth. Either way, competition can't hurt. From that list I like: 

Kenny Vaccaro (27) - Wasn't great, but still better than Swearinger was his first two stops in the NFL. 
Eric Reid (26) - Maybe he's being blackballed, but he's a good safety. 
Tre Boston (25) - I like him. 

Reggie Nelson (34) - The type of ball hawk that would work well with Swearinger. 
Corey Graham (32) - He was covering the slot for the Eagles late in the season. 
T.J. Ward (31) - How's he still out there? 
Jairus Byrd (31) - My how he's fallen. Wonder if there's anything left in the tank. 

If we can get one of those guys for ~$3M a season why not? 

3 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

Hankins was released so doesn't count against the comp picks. He was also a beast. So win for everybody?

Yeah,  that's what I meant, just worded poorly.   Guy's that are getting cut are being held in higher regard.   No point in signing someone just because. 

6 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Yeah,  that's what I meant, just worded poorly.   Guy's that are getting cut are being held in higher regard.   No point in signing someone just because. 

It's interesting. 'Classy' teams cut players before free agency starts because it allows them to get the highest bidder with that team knowing it won't impact their comp pic situation. I always knew it was bad form to cut players late in the free agency period, but now there's another reason to do so. 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

It's interesting. 'Classy' teams cut players before free agency starts because it allows them to get the highest bidder with that team knowing it won't impact their comp pic situation. I always knew it was bad form to cut players late in the free agency period, but now there's another reason to do so. 

Unfortunately, a lot of cuts need to come post June 1st due to salary cap needs though.

Don't care about compensation picks in the context of saying marquee players.  But don't like losing them for guys that aren't impact type.

I used to like Logan but he's going to be 29 during the season -- coming off of a down year.  

For me:

A. Jonathan Hankins #1 by a mile. 

B. Sylvester Williams -- seems like we are upgrading from bad at NT up pedestrian.  Tough for me to get excited about it but might be better than nothing.

C. B. Logan.  I guess I'd need to know more about why he had an off year.  The big guys tend to fade more as they get older.  But he's the guy of the three that they'd lose a comp pick for.  

I wouldn't mind losing a comp pick for a guy like Hankins.  But with Hankins heck you can have it all including keeping your comps.

As someone who really wants Hankins in, I think Williams is a pretty decent second option. He might be older, but they came into the league via the same draft and hes essentially got the same mileage on him as Hankins.

Hankins and his agent have a notorious rep for their high demands. Can't wait forever for those demands to drop. If it's coming in under ten per year it's an option. Over that and I'd pass. I bet it's way over right now.

Field YatesVerified account @FieldYates
FollowFollow @FieldYates
More

The Seahawks hosted former Chiefs DT Bennie Logan and 49ers CB Dontae Johnson on free agent visits, per source.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Guys I'm havin difficulty with the new rules and etiquette of the blame game.

Is it this :

When in doubt, blame Allen. And when not in doubt, again blame Allen ?

I need clarification.

This thread from what I can tell is 95% or so this

We like player.

Bruce signs player :cheers:

Bruce doesn't sign player and signs instead someone we don't like:  :(

It's one of the most real time -- pain-pleasure -- praise-pan threads we got. :D

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Guys I'm havin difficulty with the new rules and etiquette of the blame game.

Is it this :

When in doubt, blame Allen. And when not in doubt, again blame Allen ?

I need clarification.

Don't make it complex.

Just blame Bruce Allen for all the misery in your life, throw in an occasional "**** Dan Snyder", and you will fit right in. ;)  

Archived