Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just reading Finlay's article about Williams.  What struck me was Ziggy Hood was ranked dead last with PFF at nose, wow.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-bring-another-defensive-lineman-free-agency-visit-source

Among 79 nose tackles Pro Football Focus graded, Williams ranked 36th. For comparison, Bengals star Geno Atkins ranked No. 1, Dontari Poe ranked 26th, former Redskin Chris Baker ranked 65th and current Redskin Ziggy Hood ranked 79th. 

I found this right on the PFF website, it says Williams was the 67th ranked interior D lineman.

Capture.PNG.8eb3fb51707830da050f81f490ad9d40.PNG

6 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't care about that pick, I just want Grant to get a nice deal. Ravens did him bad. He has been nothing more then hard worker, he earned a nice payday. Let's hope Colts give him that

I would like both things to happen.  Someone did a post where all the comp pick slots are filled up, but I'm pretty sure new larger contracts just slot in and push other ones back

18 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

@ B&W:   A 2-year deal for ~$10 million for a washed-up Scandrick, is not exactly a 'meh' signing.  It's a poor investment in the Skins dwindling cap space, on yet another Dallas cast-off. (So maybe Bruce can wriggle out of his earlier ex-Cowboy signing to create more cap space?)

Sorry, I saw no logic to this signing of an aging, often-injured Cowboy cast-off, who is not that familiar with the Skins defensive schemes. (As a DB vet player-coach???... C'mon!!!).

We had 4 corners on the roster. Three of whom haven't played much football in the NFL. They had to address this position in free agency, didn't make any sense to do it in the draft considering they have young guys there already. This is a meh signing to me because he's depth and fits that need.

Until the details are known, meaning what is actually in the contract no one should be freaking out about this deal just yet. If when the details come out and it shows a lot of cap room ate up then by all means freak out. For all we know he's gonna cost a million on the cap. hardly anything to be bothered with just yet. That's just how I see it.

And I'm no Scandrick fan saying that. I do live in Dallas so I seen him play a lot and know a lot about the guy and I will say this. Last offseason the boys lost it's entire defense almost to free agency. They went young as a team and he was the elder statesmen left. That had a lot to do with his play. In previous years the boys loved him and thought he was real good. How much he has left in the tank, no one knows. I'm not happy or upset about this guy being here. At least not yet, have to see the details before going there.

Even worse, Scandrick's signing, seems to support a growing realization that under Allen's FO, the Skins aren't willing to seriously invest in a cornerstone NT for their vaunted 3-4.

You got this wrong. The team needed DB depth and that was a need. The team needs a NT and that also is a need. Scandrick does not equal a NT. The team still needs a NT. Even if they signed Hankins which they should have done already the team still needed DB depth. Both positions were needs. They had 2 needs, they addressed 1 need. They still have 1 need.

And please, don't come back to me with some quote from Manusky or Tomsula on how they don't need a "classic" NT and how the likes of Hood, and other light-weight DTs, are sufficient for this need.  They HAVE to sip the Allen Kool-Aid.  Maybe folks can't realize it, but Allen doesn't tolerate dissent for very long.

Sorry, but the Skins D failure to shut down teams on 3rd down, has a lot to do with the fact that they've always settled for a shoddy solution for NT for a 3-4 defense.  And should Scandrick help out on special teams, it's not really helping the defense.  

I completely agree with you here. Read the past few pages, been saying the same things. In fact I hope that if Bruce doesn't address this position this offseason that is the final nail in his coffin and leads to his firing. You can't be a GM in the league and refuse to address the team needs. Worst kept secret in the NFL is that the Redskins can be run on. It would be gross negligence on Bruce Allen to not fix this.

It's an over-pay for an ill-advised signing, trying to fix the fact that Allen gave up Fuller in the Smith trade. And I really get the sense that even Scandrick is stunned he wound up with the Skins, certainly not his franchise of choice.

I don't see it that way at all.

They aren't getting Alex Smith in the building without giving up something. That something was a third round pick and Fuller.

The third round pick comes back to them next draft for losing Kirk.

Fuller great as he was, needed to be included to get Alex Smith. Fuller was the cost of doing business. Lots of football minds out there said and think they made the right decision going with Alex Smith and doing that trade.

And since they paid that cost, they had to replace him. Not replacing him was not an option any good GM would make. To ignore that they had to replace Fuller would have been negligent and they addressed it.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that Bryce Allen isn't trying to build a team to win a Super Bowl -- he's trying to cobble together a "personnel solution" with a few "cheaply" acquired FA's with name-recognition, who the Skins can then point to,  as they hype/market their "new, improved Redskins 2018"  to the fan-base.

... Sadly, these short-term cosmetic changes only go so far.  But, as Allen probably reminds Snyder, "there's always the next off-season, for a rinse and repeat, right?"

Do you really believe that they are gonna use Orlando Scandrick as the poster child and front page program face this year? I don't. He's depth. He was cheaper then DRC and they addressed a positional need with picking him up. Hardly anything to be excited pro or con about. He doesn't fix the NT position and they aren't done adding to the team.

When you make a cake it takes ingredients. That's all Scandrick is. a pinch of salt to the recipe. Not the main ingredient. At least that's how I see it. The whole thing is Meh

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I found this right on the PFF website, says he was the 67# ranked interior D lineman.

Capture.PNG.8eb3fb51707830da050f81f490ad9d40.PNG

that would take into account DTs as well.  I'm sure Ziggy is much lower than 79 on that list

48 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

But he's just a "JAG".

44 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

He's just a Just A Guy?

That's almost as bad as the early 90's when people said "HIV Virus" all the time.  Human Immunodeficiency Virus virus.

My quote of "But he's just a "JAG"", referring to Allen Hurns.  :)

was a bad attempt at humor stating he's just a JAG, as in Jaguar, to stay clear of the peeps not happy with the term "JAG" .

3 minutes ago, carex said:

I would like both things to happen.  Someone did a post where all the comp pick slots are filled up, but I'm pretty sure new larger contracts just slot in and push other ones back

They only have 3 comp picks now. Kirk, Trent, and Niles. The maximum number of comp picks a team can get every year is 4. They are at 3 now. Once they are at 4 they will get awarded the 4 highest picks possible, as you said there push the lowest ones off the board.

31 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Another comp pick.

We'll see what he gets paid...

9 minutes ago, carex said:

that would take into account DTs as well.  I'm sure Ziggy is much lower than 79 on that list

Ziggy was #121. Hankins was #21. This ranking includes all DL; Hankins was one of the best NTs and Ziggy was THE worst. Two years running now... 

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

They only have 3 comp picks now. Kirk, Trent, and Niles. The maximum number of comp picks a team can get every year is 4. They are at 3 now. Once they are at 4 they will get awarded the 4 highest picks possible, as you said there push the lowest ones off the board.

I don't think Niles contract was big enough to generate a comp pick... Also, PRich's contract probably negates Trent's comp pick.

9 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I was referring to the leagues comp pick slots.  They only award 32

33 minutes ago, carex said:

why do you think that Allen would be able to sign good players now if he can't draft them?  You can't say that it's because they're playing good now, because all the players we've signed in the past had good years behind them

To those saying they can't draft and in the same breath mentioning comp picks, Grant would make 4 comp picks they get back next year because they lost a bunch of guys they drafted.

I fail to see how anyone can say they didn't draft well the way these guys are getting picked up lately.

Drafted and signed elsewhere - Kirk Cousins, Trent Murphy, Spencer Long, Ryan Grant, Niles Paul

Drafted and should be signed elsewhere - Breeland

Just can't grasp why people think these bozos haven't been drafting well lately. The front office sucks, Bruce Allen should have been fired a long time ago or I wouldn't have had to read that BS about a "well run organization" from Kirk camp yesterday, but to say they can't draft idk....

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

It matters because if you want to maximize value in your signings and are in a position to be raided like the team was this year then adding guys who were released, cut, or traded is more attractive then adding free agents.

Allen Hurns Jaguars is getting released. Would love to see him here, good player and obligatory no comp picks would be effected if they signed him

If they are making decisions on guys based on compensatory picks then they are total idiots. That may be the case but I am virtually certain this is just a narrative developed by fans. 

Again, a guy that is proven at least to some extent vs. a mid to late rd draft pick that is more than likely to turn into nothing. I promise you fans are way more infatuated with comp picks a than the team when it comes to signing FAs. Maybe, jsut maybe ifd all other things are equal you take the guy who does not impact potential comp picks. But that is a huge stretch. Can the guy help you and can you afford him. The only two things that matter. Cut, released, FA whatever are quite secondary. 

And the team did not get "raided". The made decisions to release guys - of which two of the major signings fell through and are still unsigned (the teams they were going to sign with screwed them over - especially Grant. That **** was cold.). 

11 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

My quote of "But he's just a "JAG"", referring to Allen Hurns.  :)

was a bad attempt at humor stating he's just a JAG, as in Jaguar, to stay clear of the peeps not happy with the term "JAG" .

isn't if fun explaining jokes?   

But how does one explain Bruce Allen? :)

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

i think the fan reaction to up to $5 million a year for a below average corner is completely understandable, especially when it probably meant they didn't have the money available to sign a true difference maker.   Given the other contracts signed by other corners, including the one Bree originally signed, makes the Scandricks signing hard to understand.

It is if it turns out it's actually $5M/yr. But we do not know that. All we know is the contract is "UP TO" $10M for 2 yrs which is why the reaction is completely premature.  Last I looked Breeland is not signed yet. So that contract he was going to sign is meaningless. 

Again, if the details come out that it's really $5M/yr for 2 yrs, fully guaranteed - or even close to that, I am with you. They over paid. But we doc not know yet. I have looked and looked. I wish they would release the details so we everyone can go nuclear all over again - over a back-up CB. 

Everybody was so hyped up that Hankins was here visiting that now we won't settle for less.  Williams is a genuine NT and a huge upgrade over Hood which we were screaming for last year but now because of Hankins he is a bum and we don't want him.  Some people need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture.  I would concede Hankins is a better option but the deal would have to be right, he is not a future Hall of Famer and the comments about paying whatever it takes are just ridiculous.

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Everybody was so hyped up that Hankins was here visiting that now we won't settle for less.  Williams is a genuine NT and a huge upgrade over Hood which we were screaming for last year but now because of Hankins he is a bum and we don't want him.  Some people need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture.  I would concede Hankins is a better option but the deal would have to be right, he is not a future Hall of Famer and the comments about paying whatever it takes are just ridiculous.

Williams is still terrible. Hard pass.

10 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Ziggy was #121. Hankins was #21. This ranking includes all DL; Hankins was one of the best NTs and Ziggy was THE worst. Two years running now... 

I don't think Niles contract was big enough to generate a comp pick... Also, PRich's contract probably negates Trent's comp pick.

• Washington Redskins
    Qualifying UFAs Lost: 4 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 1
    Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
    Kirk Cousins 3 $28,000,000 1  
    Trent Murphy 5 $7,500,000 184 Paul Richardson 4 $8,000,000 166
    Spencer Long 5 $7,000,000 212  
    Niles Paul 7 $2,375,000 597  

17 minutes ago, CTskin said:

there's a thing graph on page 201, Paul gives is a 7th

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

For now Niles contract does get a comp pick only because the NFL hands out a certain amount each year and there hasn't been that many free agents signed yet to push it off the board.

The pickup of P_Rich negated the comp pick they would have gotten for losing Trent Murphy. Trent was signed for 7.5. P_Rich was signed for 8. They canceled each other out.

Leaves them comp picks for Kirk, Spencer Long, and Niles Paul at the present time

I think the Ravens totally did express buyers remorse in absolutely the wrong guy ... Grant is one of those James Thrash types who work hard and do everything that is expected and stick around the league for years .., where more ‘talented’ guys flame out . 

I would have liked to bring him back ( and probably would have if not for the Quick resigning ) but I am also excited to see how Harris and Davis develop ... 

1 minute ago, Audible_Red40 said:

And there you go for all you comp pick guys, that contract, as of now, would net a 6th rounder.

Party time!

Better than nothing.  Our 6th round 2017 is now our starting OC. 

Archived