Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

So signing Scandrick instead of DRC and the new language added to McClain's deal giving them an out if they do a post June cut just shouts to me that they are saving up for something big. Whether it's Hankins or to extend Scherff and Smith I don't know, but I hope it is something cool.

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hankins is WAY better than Williams.  Not to mention Hankins is much younger.  Allen is cheap.

You actually do not really know that in this case yet. You re assuming that. What if Hankins was asking for $14M/yr for 4 yrs fully guaranteed? Is that Allen being cheap or prudent with the CAP? 

If Hankins signs somewhere other than here for less $10M/yr and a reasonable guarantee, then saying Allen was being cheapo is fair. But if Hankins was looking fro >$10M/yr, you can't just pay whatever. 

Also notice Hankins has not signed anywhere else. Last year it it was April 13th before he signed with the Colts. 

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hankins is WAY better than Williams.  Not to mention Hankins is much younger.  Allen is cheap.

redskins have draft picks they can use to fill the position, a decent stop gap is always okay

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Until we know the details, it does not make much sense to get too upset. But I have to admit it's been entertaining watching people lose their **** over it. 

I agree with you for the most part on this.  But for every person losing their **** over it, there is another assuming that the player must be greedy and the team did the right thing in letting him walk.  I personally think both positions are kind of stupid because like you said, we don't really have any idea what went on.  But given Bruce's track record for being a meiser, I'd never be inclined to believe that the player must be an unreasonable, greedy Ahole without confirmation.

My main problem with Hankins is last year he had a good offer on the table to stay with the stacked Giants line, they definitely wanted him back but ended up signing a late deal with the Colts (who when they hear the name - Colts do you think defense?)  - mostly because most of the better slots had gone. And now he finds himself out of work again and he was released late into free agency and he is still dawdling around teams looking for a monster contract - where most teams with money have already made their acquisitions.. Maybe he should move on from the Potson to an actual sports agent   

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

You actually do not really know that in this case yet. You re assuming that. What if Hankins was asking for $14M/yr for 4 yrs fully guaranteed? Is that Allen being cheap or prudent with the CAP? 

If Hankins signs somewhere other than here for less $10M/yr and a reasonable guarantee, then saying Allen was being cheapo is fair. But if Hankins was looking fro >$10M/yr, you can't just pay whatever. 

Also notice Hankins has not signed anywhere else. Last year it it was April 13th before he signed with the Colts. 

The problem is that Bruce has quite a track record of being "prudent" when addressing FA... and we've ended up with the Macs- second stringers eating up $9M of cap space. 

We need gamechangers. You build a team of C- players then take a guess what the product on the field is going to be.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree with you for the most part on this.  But for every person losing their **** over it, there is another assuming that the player must be greedy and the team did the right thing in letting him walk.  I personally think both positions are kind of stupid because like you said, we don't really have any idea what went on.  But given Bruce's track record for being a meiser, I'd never be inclined to believe that the player must be an unreasonable, greedy Ahole without confirmation.

I agree assuming Hankins is being greedy is just as premature. I just want to see all the details first before getting too upset one way or the other. 

I’m not assuming this is the case, but... 

If it comes to light that the FO couldn’t meet Hankins’ price because they needed to sign Scandrick to replace Fuller (a better player on a rookie contract)... woah.  

Also, anyone else worried that we trade Cravens for Anderson... and give up a pick in the process?   I’m having flashbacks to the Portis/Bailey trade.  Hopefully it’s the opposite (if a trade occurs).  

Man, Allen has really made me cynical about the FO machinations.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not assuming this is the case, but... 

If it comes to light that the FO couldn’t meet Hankins’ price because they needed to sign Scandrick to replace Fuller (a better player on a rookie contract)... woah.  

:hitfan:

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Also, anyone else worried that we trade Cravens for Anderson... and give up a pick in the process?   I’m having flashbacks to the Portis/Bailey trade.  Hopefully it’s the opposite (if a trade occurs).  

I wasn't but now that you say that.  More :hitfan:.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Man, Allen has really made me cynical about the FO machinations.  

...a wise man once said.

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

The problem is that Bruce has quite a track record of being "prudent" when addressing FA... and we've ended up with the Macs- second stringers eating up $9M of cap space. 

We need gamechangers. You build a team of C- players then take a guess what the product on the field is going to be.

That's not the point here at all. For starters there are also instances of him opening up the wallet - Norman, Kerrigan, D Jasckson, Reed, Moses, etc.

I agree we need game changers. I also tend to agree there are times when I wish he would open up the wallet on guys but this is about knowing the details before making a call.

But people (not saying you) are jumping to conclusions - some wild ass conclusions - and yes to @BatteredFanSyndrome point some are assuming Hankins is being greedy which is also not reasonable. 

For me if he signs somewhere else for less than $10M/yr then Allen was being too cheap. If he signs for more than it will e hard to fault hem for letting him go. But until the process plays out, it just does not make sense to me to jump to any conclusions - one way or the other. That includes Scandrick. :Let's see the contract. 

Drafting receivers, RBs, and DL are the riskiest picks to take in the first round when considering which positions become starters for more then half of their careers. 

Last two seasons they went cheap at the position and it didn’t work out. 

Now if I know that wtf is the matter with cheap ass Bruce Allen not knowing this? With Hankins leaving there is maybe a 20% chance that he gets signed and that’s a huge misstep for him and I hope it costs him his job. With that said sign someone at the damn position already. Worst kept secret is how bad we are at stopping the opposing rusher

Scandrick is a bad signing.  For years we have signed ex-Cowboys and they have been awful.  Those of you who did not like Scott M. 

can now see Why the rest of us were upset when he was ejected from the Skins.  I do not care if Orlando is covering the 4th receiver in games.  

He will not play the full season so why not get a younger guy in there and develop the younger guy.  Maybe this was not an Allen signing but

instead a Danny signing?

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

That's not the point here at all. For starters there are also instances of him opening up the wallet - Norman, Kerrigan, D Jasckson, Reed, Moses, etc.

I agree we need game changers. I also tend to agree there are times when I wish he would open up the wallet on guys but this is about knowing the details before making a call.

But people (not saying you) are jumping to conclusions - some wild ass conclusions - and yes to @BatteredFanSyndrome point some are assuming Hankins is being greedy which is also not reasonable. 

For me if he signs somewhere else for less than $10M/yr then Allen was being too cheap. If he signs for more than it will e hard to fault hem for letting him go. But until the process plays out, it just does not make sense to me to jump to any conclusions - one way or the other. That includes Scandrick. :Let's see the contract. 

Fair. If he's asking for the $12M+/yr (while still collecting a check from the Colts) then yea I'll pass. But if he's asking for $10-$12M, what he's worth, then Bruce did this team a serious disservice. 

Archived