Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

With the Broncos owning the 99th, 106th, and 109th picks of the draft, I wonder if a deal for Sua might consist of a pick swap, wherein we exchange #149 for #109. With #109 and #113 then in tow, we can package them to move into the top half of the 3rd round and get a starting guard, or else use one of them to move up in the 2nd round to ensure we get one of the RBs we're targeting.

Using next year's first 3rd will also allow us to be especially aggressive in the draft.

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m not saying they’ve never signed anybody that has worked out.  I’m saying way more FA signings have not worked out ??‍♂️

I know you are not saying that, but it felt like you were saying to abandon FA completely.  If you do that you don't get Zach Brown.

We have to just be smarter about FA and I think we are getting there.  Long gone are the days of Adam Archuletta and Albert Haynesworthless.  Good players, reasonable contracts are what our targets should be.  Did I want HB?  Sure, I wanted 1 year for roughly what he got.  Not 5 years 50 millions

Edit: Removed double post.  Sorry everyone.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

That was a month into free agency though. Shouldn't be leaving here today.

I get the feeling Karl Poston is probably a real pain to deal with so that could be a big part of this.  Who knows what he's asking but rumors are they are typically ridiculous at first.

25 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I know you are not saying that, but it felt like you were saying to abandon FA completely.  If you do that you don't get Zach Brown.

We have to just be smarter about FA and I think we are getting there.  Long gone are the days of Adam Archuletta and Albert Haynesworthless.  Good players, reasonable contracts are what our targets should be.  Did I want HB?  Sure, I wanted 1 year for roughly what he got.  Not 5 years 50 millions

Edit: Removed double post.  Sorry everyone.

There’s a fine line between abandoning FA completely and just signing everybody in a frenzy.  Buffalo has clearly gone into a FA frenzy with all their signings this offseason.  It’s not a good strategy.  That’s all I’m saying.  Of course you have to sign guys, just be patient and show some restraint.

Receiving compensatory picks in the 3rd, 5th & 7th is something to be happy about.  Usually the Redskins never ever receive any compensatory picks.  It’s a step in the right direction, I think.

I posted this article in January.  The Patriots, Eagles and a bunch of other teams do not just rely on the draft.  

The conversation on FA can get polarizing here -- where if you want a big signing or two you get labeled as wanting Vinny part 2 or it turns into an all of nothing discussion between the draft and FA. 

I am not throwing in the towel because Hankins hasn't signed yet.  But I would like a signing like that, ultimately.  There are some positions I believe in going to the high end of the food chain in FA -- my two top positions on that front are QB and D line -- both D tackle and edge rush.  

This isn't some position that has anything to do with my feelings pro or con about Bruce.  It's been my position for decades.  I don't care if its Bozo the Clown, Mother Theresa or Bruce calling the shots.  My take on it is the same regardless. 

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/9/16867564/playoffs-salary-cap-free-agent-spending-jaguars-eagles-patriots

How the Rising Salary Cap Explains the NFL Playoffs

To be successful in the modern NFL is to pick up on the latest league-wide shift and adjust sooner than everyone else. The latest change has made what was once anathema to success now a prerequisite for it: spending big on free agents.

One of the seismic changes to the sport over the past few years has been to the salary cap. In the past six years, the cap has exploded from $120 million to $167 million. In the past four seasons, it rose a minimum of $10 million a year. Meanwhile, after the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, rookie contracts became significantly cheaper, and opened up even more cap space. The competitive balance of the league is changing drastically because of it, and the market for players has become more complicated than ever before.

“It’s the biggest untold story in football,” said former Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns president Joe Banner. “With the excessive amount of available cap space, close to a billion dollars—some teams can’t mentally keep up with that.”

Incredibly, six of the top 10 2017 spenders in free agency, a period formerly reserved for desperate teams to throw money at anyone, made the playoffs: the Patriots, Titans, Rams, Vikings, Panthers, and Jaguars (who spent $20 million more than any other team).

Before the cap rose, the book on NFL free agency was that it was usually a bad idea. Sports Illustrated wrote just three years ago that some big-spending teams had learned that “shelling out cash to players who are nearing their 30s can end up backfiring in spectacular fashion.” That has changed—and quickly.

All the room to spend has changed the way teams think about money. Multiple league executives, coaches, and experts told me that it is changing the way teams are built at an unprecedented pace and turned free agency from a last resort into a legitimate team-building strategy, like it has in other sports. Except, unlike the NBA, which had its massive cap spike two years ago to much fanfare, the NFL’s spike has been gradual. That means if you weren’t paying attention, you might not have noticed that the game changed.

“I can distinctly remember the days when it was almost every year, you had to let people go because of money,” Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead said. “Nowadays, I don’t ever remember thinking, ‘Uh-oh, we’re up against the books here.’ Now, it’s more of a strategy. ‘If we keep this guy, what does it keep us from doing?’

It’s not, ‘Hey, we’ve gotta do some things just to get legal.’ I think that’s what has allowed you to make, let’s call it ‘strategic football decisions.’”

One former general manager, who asked not to be named, told me that when he took over his team earlier this decade, he wanted to take a slower approach and build up cap space over time. The problem with the idea was that, unlike in previous eras, eventually everyone had cap space. This is the new reality; it helps explain all the new faces in the playoffs—and some of the old ones, too. The draft still matters, but for the first time, nailing free agency might be as important as acing your first-round pick.

3 hours ago, Unbias said:

Yeah, I hate this. Every time it happens I feel dirty. Maybe if they were some championship caliber team I could convince myself that we are stealing some of that luster while making a divisional opponent worse, but this just doesn't make sense. 

When ya sign from low-mid tier teams,their low-mid tier player this is what you get!!!

33 minutes ago, tchrpe1 said:

Listening  to NFL Radio on the way home today they commented that Hankins had a pretty good market and should have multiple suitors. 

Fishing around and it seems Lions (his home), Falcons, maybe Steelers could have interest but I don't know all their cap situations.

Archived