Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Early this week people where super excited about this load of compensation picks. If we sign some outside guys and Breeland and Grant sign smaller deals... Say bye bye to the boat load. Will just be one or two picks. 

Grant will get a way lower deal. Just because it's later in the process. Teams have filled there holes and spend most of the cap. Breeland might sign a deal in training camp or some low proof it one year deal. 

number of picks is tied to number of players lost, it's he size of the contracts that determines where the pick is located though

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To me the effect on the Tedskins is secondary.  I almost don’t care.  I think it just is massively unethical if you sign a guy to a contract, see fan reaction, unexpectedly have a better option and then find a technicality to void the contract.  Cooley said he found out the injury and it was essentially an ankle sprain. 

I feel bad for Grant about the timing of his injury WRT then becoming a free agent. Did he get aggressive treatment, sleep on it and start counting eggs, or maybe the Ravens just made a more stringent test until he finally failed.... I need more details.

Are we speculating that the fans helped shape the decision for the Ravens?  Despite Cooley's suggestion it's an ankle sprain, seeing the 2 month healing time I will speculate it was a high ankle sprain, which is much more severe. 

I am curious if you feel just as terrible about Breeland and his voided contract over what I think is a less risky injury for an organization, short of a staff or MRSA. I am no lawyer, but no Crabtree grade corner suddenly became available... aren't these 2 cases comparable?

I even wonder if we'd get a comp pick.  The league does not share the formula which determines compensation.

52 minutes ago, Burgold said:

When Bree’s head is right we’ve all seen him be very good. Now, I don’t know that he wants to be here. He was pretty upset at Norman’s arrival and becoming entrenched as the #2 corner,

True. We need to keep in mind that he took Carolinas offer rather quickly, and at $8m APY, it wasn't for #1 money.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I think I heard a team can only have 4 total comp. picks.  I'll have to check but can someone verify.  

I also think that's right, 4 is the max is my understanding too.

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Other teams get better, and our Washington Redskins get ?.

What's your answer fellow Skin's?.

My answer is

******* Bruce Allen.

HTTR 

You're really not happy with Bruce right now are you :rofl89:

26 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

This is the free agency thread thus I am very pleased with the way the skins have handled it so far...with that said I'm very confused with the amount of people upset that redskins1 has been grounded...from here I have so many things to say but 

It has more time to play out so I agree with the chill lets be patient crowd. 

As for being very pleased if this is everything and it stops here -- to each their own but to me its a "meh" FA season so far if graded that way.  Not great.  Not awful.  Very much like the typical FA season under Bruce.  It's not like our FAs crops have rocked under Bruce.  They haven't.  They just haven't made big mistakes.   It's more or less a C FA crop IMO every off season.

Thinking about it, I think the last great FA class we've had was 2005 -- S. Springs, M. Washington, C. Griffin - helped turn around that defense.  I think Bruce's best FA crop was last year -- not great -- but better than average.

I'd grade the FA season thus far as a C. They lost more talent than they brought in.  But I'll grade them on a curve because Richardson was the guy I wanted at WR and they got him.   If they bring back Galette and sign DRC, I'd bump it to a C plus.  If they actually sign an impact DT for a change -- I'd bump it to a B. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking about it, I think the last great FA class we've had was 2005 -- S. Springs, M. Washington, C. Griffin - helped turn around that defense.  

And this is so true..most certainly the last successful fa class...next to brees and obviously Kirk not working out we got the best qb available, I absolutely love the resigning of brown but still have a bitter taste in my mouth from loosing fuller and Breeland..we'll get veta veya and be solid against the run game but our corners will give up big plays, same ole same ole..hopefully I'm way off

27 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Max comp picks is 4.

ZB signed a 3 year deal.

Thank you.

The whole offseason has just been uber depressing. It started with the Alex Smith trade. Didn't like it when it happened. Still don't like it now. It was a lot like the Donovan McNabb deal. I hated that trade when it happened. Not because I thought McNabb sucked (though it turned out he was washed up). In fact, I though McNabb would be a good QB for a couple of years. But he was an extreme short term solution for a team going nowhere. I didn't understand the point of giving up good assets for an aging QB. Of course, the McNabb deal ended up worse than I imagined, as it was a disaster for the Redskins. I'm hoping the Smith deal goes better. It almost has to since the McNabb deal turned out so poorly. But Alex Smith now is older than Donovan McNabb then. Even a decent outcome on the Smith deal is two years of...not outright sucking? And then we're just looking for another QB again. And there's no realistic belief this team is headed anywhere.

And then you get to free agency. You see a mass exodus of players. I'm not really beat up about most of the losses. They were expected. And there's no way the team could afford many of these deals. So I understand why it happened. And I agree it was the right move in most cases. But it's not exactly something to feel good about. And it's certainly not exciting as a fan. I kind of figured the team would make some moves. You don't trade for Alex Smith, give yourself a small window to do anything, and then just sit on your hands. I still can't believe how this team ignores DL year after year after year. You actually had a shot at real impact DL and still nothing. I'm sure the team will dumpster dive the free agent leftovers and hope to find something good. They got Zach Brown that way, so it's not always bad. But they also got Terrelle Pryor that way and it didn't work. So it's hardly a fool-proof strategy. and seems counterintuitive to the path the team is currently on (which is win now)

The one silver lining in all this was the comp picks. It's not something the Redskins are used to, and it's not that big of a deal, but it was at least something. And somehow that got screwed up too. The team had not one, but two contracts voided. No one can recall anything like that happening since Rodger Saffold in 2014. So it hasn't happened in four year and really has only happened once in recent league history. And now its happened twice in the same week, both times screwing the same team. That's virtually unheard of. So even the little consolation prize you get for basically doing nothing is taken away. So basically there's no real good news here. 

The team has basically downgraded in several spots, lost a 3rd round pick and a good young corner, signed no one of consequence outside of one WR, will probably dumpster dive for the next Terrell McClain in the coming weeks, and basically just be another team next season. I don't think they will suck. I don't think they'll be good. But the strategy seems to be hope you get a few breaks and good health and maybe squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 to be smashed by the Packers or Eagles or whoever. And that's the good outcome.

I'm actually fine with the FA moves. There really wasn't 'high value targets' that we had to have. We executed with P. Richardson, see how that goes but feel worth the price based on valuations. Resigning Brown was very good.I get the knock on him, I don't care, one of the best tacklers in the game and thats big. Finally, just would like to add DL depth because alot of proven talent there. Bennie Logan is a nice piece. Guy can play and I feel given our depth can be used effectively in the right spots with solid rotation pieces in Ionidis, Lanier and Mc's

Very happy with the way FA has gone except the 2 failed FA signings, and those may turn out okay. who knows, we may be the team re signing 1 or both at decent contracts. No reasons to make a big splash , there is not much that would help us anyway right now and only target cut players, Sue would be the pickup at DL that we need and would not effect comp picks. It would allow us to take a top RB and Guard with the first 2 picks. Teams like the Patriots get multiple comp extra picks each year it seems never over pay,  it helps to bring in new blood every year. look at last year offseason, we have nothing this year to show for after we lost Jackson and Garcon, as a example. Wait to see who gets the ax and if it is a need then go for it.  Stay a way from all free agents if we can unless we lose more than 4 and only sign equal value if there is a player that fits it.  I am hoping that's what's going on and it continues.      

I think people around here need to understand football is a game of absolute patience.

frustrated that the team has been a sideshow for years? No one can blame you. Frustrated with how the FO has been run? Preach. 

But a lot of this stuff doesnt get sorted over night. It’s all a process.

Negativity permeates. Agents are aware of social media, as are teams. If you think players and agents aren’t aware of things that are said on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and even ES itself you’re fooling yourselves.

There is certainly room for some negativity as it pertains to this team. Things haven’t been functioning as needed for a very long period of time. But we help perpetuate the negativity surrounding the franchise.

”Then fix it”. Agreed. But if people are reading these forums to get a general feel (they are) then players and agents see the dysfunction from a mile away. Even the thread welcoming Alex Smith turned into a negative side show. People are 100% aware of this stuff.

And the thought is, “damn, this team’s fans hate this team.”

And then we sign players... because of the money we offer primarily. 

Im not saying be in love with everything, or not to voice concerns. I’d be hypocritical in saying that. But what we CAN do is be a bit more open minded with some moves and a little less, uhhh, dramatic with some of the moves. 

Granted, it’s an extremely SMALL part and not what will ultimately drive a franchise turnaround. We all know that. But we can do our part simply by not being rage filled schmucks (obviously this doesn’t apply to a lot of the posters here... but it does apply to a decent number)

Also Kirk was gone as soon as the last play of the last game this year, not a Redskin anymore fans.  Kirk wanted out and he and his agent used the system to get that.  Smith was a decent pick up he is signed for 4 years and we know who are QB is going to be.  Time to move on for me.  We signed Brown who I think was one player we could not lose.  Players are going to get cut later, after the draft.  

I guess we can get depressed - I think free agency sucks for Grant and Breeland ... but other than that I am ok with how things pan out .. 

Free agency should be seen as what it is- supplementary to your in house talent that you have developed ...  everyone is whining about Kendall Fuller are the same ones calling him a bust 12 months ago ... the guys who step up and replace the likes of Breeland and Grant will be young guys who show promise and need a chance ..

Seriously what KDawg just said is absolutely right .. but each day is a new day .... things don’t turn around overnight ... one thing I would disagree with is the Welcome Alex Smith thread didn’t turn negative it started negative and just became more negative ... 

27 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I'm actually fine with the FA moves. There really wasn't 'high value targets' that we had to have. We executed with P. Richardson, see how that goes but feel worth the price based on valuations. Resigning Brown was very good.I get the knock on him, I don't care, one of the best tacklers in the game and thats big. Finally, just would like to add DL depth because alot of proven talent there. Bennie Logan is a nice piece. Guy can play and I feel given our depth can be used effectively in the right spots with solid rotation pieces in Ionidis, Lanier and Mc's

I'm with you on this. I'd also add that the draft is well stacked at CB, DT, RB and even OL. We need to garner another pick in the top rounds, then I think we'd be set nicely. Getting Logan would be good, same for DRC at the right price. But I can't see us wanting to overpay when we appear to be hot on CB in the draft and we can also get value at DT. 

I mean Pugh just got a 45mil deal. The Ravens centre I liked is now the top paid centre in the league, so 8-10mil p/y deals really appear to be the norm these days.

We got Brown back, and Richardson was the #1 get at receiver. One more solid FA move would round it out good.

Archived