Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

7 minutes ago, TK said:

Here's what kills me. We're what, 10 years, into this 3-4 Defense & the only time they've bothered to really address NT was one year with Pot Roast. Every other season it's been undersized guys at NT. And for a legit big boy NT, you gotta pay to play & Bruce is as always, cheap.

My feeling exactly. Only move last season that upset me was them thinking Ziggy Hood and the two free agents they signed would be enough to offset spending money or picks at this position. The cost of the three guys would have been equal to one stud starter but they went with this Frankenstein approach that failed miserably and just isn’t the way to go.

I’m fine with them going first round pick to fix this but it has to be fixed. It’s like they have a massive leak and are oblivious to it. Just has to

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My #1 hope right now is going to the draft without too many glaring needs.  I don't like it when Finlay goes for example heck I think they plan to take their OG in the first two rounds.  IMO there are not enough early picks to address nickel corner, DT, RB, LG.  Not saying you can't strike gold with a 4th round through 7 rounder -- but typically you can't look at those rounds as in the bag starters.

That's why even though I was lukewarm about signing DRC, I've warmed up to it more considering the diminishing options at that position.  I don't love in theory on relying on new starters at both nickel and outside corner.   As for the O line, even if its them bringing back Lauvao -- I'd like it.  I don't want 4 glaring needs headed to the draft.  And I get you can't fix everything in one off season. 

But, I don't buy that this defense will be good without adding one impact D lineman and I don't buy the running game will be good with the current crop.  Those two positions to me are a must upgrade if they want to take a leap above mediocrity.   So for me that would mean drafting a D lineman in rd 1 and a RB in rd 2.  If so I'd like a nickel corner in FA and a LG.  

Afternoon SIP.  I've read Skins could possibly move Ty Nsekhe to LG.  They are considering resigning Lauvao.  I don't care for either option.  Nsekhe should be the valuable OT we have in case of injury and Lauvao is finished.  They have Kalis and the kid from Alabama which has underwhelmed thus far.  I think Kalis has a lot of potential.  From what I gather they go in-house or on the cheap on LG (totally disagree with) and hope that they land DRC.  Also hearing that they want to extend Preston Smith with the cap money they have now as well.  

Who knows if they don't land Logan they can land Bromley from the Giants.  Maybe he can bulk up a bit (add 10 pounds) and play NT.  But got to think that Vea is our 1st pick and RB is our 2nd.  Sure is looking that way.  Let's hope Jackson or one of the other QBs are on the board when we pick so we can trade down with maybe AZ and get their 3rd round or better additional pick.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not sure I've ever read a more well-reasoned post from a respected member that I've disagreed with more strongly, KDawg. 

Don’t think I’ve ever read a more kind and polite way to say “You must be outta your freaking mind!” In my life. Well done!!! ?

Sadly, this move by the Jets, might increase the odds that Barkley winds up with the Giants.

Because if the Browns happened to be fixated on a certain QB they thought they could get with the #4 pick, they're probably worried the Jets might take that QB at #3.  If so, the Browns might decide they need to pick their QB of choice with the #1 pick instead of #4.  

If so, I suspect the Giants will pounce on Barkley, if he's available with the #2 pick.

I don’t mind the negativity from fans as long as it’s respectful even if it means players don’t want to come here. It’s a small sacrifice to pay, if it in the end, it somehow forces Snyder to sell the damn team. You make great points though and if I wasn’t so burnt out on ownership, I would 100% agree with you.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

frustrated that the team has been a sideshow for years? No one can blame you. Frustrated with how the FO has been run? Preach. 

But a lot of this stuff doesnt get sorted over night. It’s all a process.

But it's the same process year after year repeating itself.  Last year, we turned a position of strength (WR) into a weakness.  We let two proven guys go with our eye on an unproven guy.  We saw how that worked out. 

After the Cousins fiasco, you'd think our front office would value the opportunity that is there in extending guys early...but we haven't seen anything of the sort yet.  This season we've done the same weakening exercise with two positions CB, and OLB (side note: WR is still a question-mark).  If you knew you were going to trade Fuller, why not approach Breeland with something (anything)?  I'd imagine he'd be in the ballpark of what we're offering DRC, and we know he can play in this system.  Instead we are going after a guy on the decline, who may or may not even be a schematic fit.  

Similar thing with Galette/Murphy...if you knew you couldn't afford Murphy, why not give Galette his assurances that he'd get more playing time and lock him up prior to free agency?  Did Bruce & Co think that teams would not be interested in either player?  

At some point building a winning organization has to have long term planning...and I'm not seeing it.  Every offseason, it's a scramble to maintain mediocre results....  

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Sadly, this move by the Jets, might increase the odds that Barkley winds up with the Giants.

Because if the Browns happened to be fixated on a certain QB they thought they could get with the #4 pick, they're probably worried the Jets might take that QB at #3.  If so, the Browns might decide they need to pick their QB of choice with the #1 pick instead of #4.  

If so, I suspect the Giants will pounce on Barkley, if he's available with the #2 pick.

The hope now is that the Giants get an offer they can't refuse from the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I think they go QB as the last regime picked Davis Webb and as turnover goes usually goes the backup QB but saying your right that’s even more reason for the Skins to get a run stuffing linemen in here

1 minute ago, megared said:

But it's the same process year after year repeating itself.  Last year, we turned a position of strength (WR) into a weakness.  We let two proven guys go with our eye on an unproven guy.  We saw how that worked out. 

After the Cousins fiasco, you'd think our front office would value the opportunity that is there in extending guys early...but we haven't seen anything of the sort yet. 

The first thing they did was lock up the starting QB through 2022. I think they showed they understand that

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Good point any lost comp pick would return to them they lose signing someone else when he signs elsewhere

they may bring lesser contracts and lesser picks, but I have to figure Breeland and Grant will still get contracts

9 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

My feeling exactly. Only move last season that upset me was them thinking Ziggy Hood and the two free agents they signed would be enough to offset spending money or picks at this position. The cost of the three guys would have been equal to one stud starter but they went with this Frankenstein approach that failed miserably and just isn’t the way to go.

I’m fine with them going first round pick to fix this but it has to be fixed. It’s like they have a massive leak and are oblivious to it. Just has to

I think the Skins were really hoping for Phil Taylor to be able to handle like 20% or the Skins plays last year, McGee and McClain were mostly meant to be ends

On 3/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, skinsfan66 said:

Also Kirk was gone as soon as the last play of the last game this year, not a Redskin anymore fans.  Kirk wanted out and he and his agent used the system to get that.  Smith was a decent pick up he is signed for 4 years and we know who are QB is going to be.  Time to move on for me.  We signed Brown who I think was one player we could not lose.  Players are going to get cut later, after the draft.  

????

12 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I actually think this deal signals the opposite. If you're giving that much to move up to #3, don't you check with #2 first? The Giants must have said no. I don't care how highly regarded Barkley is, you don't turn down that haul for a RB, especially since in that case it's conceivable he could still be there at 6 or after a small trade up to 4 or 5 after the QB run happens. 

Either way, that haul and still drafting at 6 would have gone a long way to rebuilding the whole roster, if they really were content with Eli. 

The Giants rarely draft top 10, nevermind top 2. And they don't plan on being in that position again for a long time, I guarantee it. They are taking a QB. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Also Kirk was gone as soon as the last play of the last game this year, not a Redskin anymore fans.  Kirk wanted out and he and his agent used the system to get that.  Smith was a decent pick up he is signed for 4 years and we know who are QB is going to be.  Time to move on for me.  We signed Brown who I think was one player we could not lose.  Players are going to get cut later, after the draft.  

*EXACTLY.

Once a Player, Coach, or Executive DEPARTS (of THEIR OWN VOLITION) Our Beloved REDSKINS Organization... ??

They IMMEDIATELY & FOREVER become 'CIVILITER MORTUUS' to Me. ☠️

And, I hope that they 'SUCK ASS', FOREVER. ??

'HTTR/DC/DMV/RDC(la Republique Democratique du Congo)/USA-'Til the Proverbial Wheels Fall Off'!!! ??⚾???????

3 minutes ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*EXACTLY.

Once a Player, Coach, or Executive DEPARTS (of THEIR OWN VOLITION) Our Beloved REDSKINS Organization... ??

They IMMEDIATELY & FOREVER become 'CIVILITER MORTUUS' to Me. ☠️

And, I hope that they 'SUCK ASS', FOREVER. ??

'HTTR/DC/DMV/RDC(la Republique Democratique du Congo)/USA-'Til the Proverbial Wheels Fall Off'!!! ??⚾???????

I think we get it. ;) 

52 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Being ubercritical of everything the Skins do, immediately predicting doom on of the team's/coaches/players chances for even a glimmer of success, and over-reacting to each newsbit, tweet, rumor out in social media to interpret how there'll be doom and gloom, is not the "optimum" way of expressing how much of a fan you are of this team.  Moreover, contributing to (and even perpetuating) a negative perception on all things Redskins, doesn't really help -- it just helps to reinforce the negativity and to project it out to everyone perceives the franchise. And there's a school of thought that states when you always assume a negative outcome, that's what you'll wind up with.

My take is this is no man's land new territory for us fans.   We aren't awful.  We aren't great.  We are mediocre.  And the gist of the formula to find this new tier of mediocrity is arguably about finding competent QB play -- because the other units of the team really haven't been hot.  And that whole point gets twisted in multiple directions in discussion. 

Is it the QB holding the team back at mediocrity or elevating it to mediocrity.  Some of the new proclaimed "homers" weren't homers during the season.  And the haters and homers flipped positions as for that label at different times depending on context.  And I don't think fundamentally it was about Kirk but the power of the QB position in the team's success.  To give credit to both sides of that argument.  It was a real sincere fundamental difference for most of us, I think. :)

But yeah is the new found land of "average" should be taken where we have the FO's back.  I do think if that's the bar "average" we should have their back.  I don't think these guys are going to crash the ship.  They aren't running around in the FO like a bunch of buffoons.  Conversely, they don't strike me as a group they will do anything special.   Do I think they are going to outwit Howie Roseman and the Eagles stacked FO?  No I don't.

But yeah I do think the underpinning of a lot of the debate is about how to reconcile with a FO that is average.  So when people push that these guys are really good and or we should trust them -- they sometimes get pushback.  When people push it the other way like they are buffoons -- they get pushback, too.  IMO both sides are right. 

I get labeled a hater even though I've been pushing the "average" narrative strongly almost every time I summarize the FO.  My point is I think its confusing time for Redskins fans.  :)   Is average really good or not good enough?  And are they capable of better than that?  Is the QB play almost single handily elevating them to average?   And i don't think either side in this debate has the higher moral ground.  It's a philosophical difference. 

And there's a school of thought that states when you always assume a negative outcome, that's what you'll wind up with.

Based on what I do for a living, I've seen this point work.  So you won't find a stronger believer than me that the best chance to get change is to whine about it versus accept the status quo and ride with it.   I was among the people that sent letters to the FO as to the fire Vinny campaign.  I did the same right before they hired Scot. 

I think the Skins FO need to realize that in this next three years, it can't continue to be the team that perennially goes 7-9 with gusts up to 9-7.  

I am in the same place as for the off season thus far.  But there is still some time.  I am surprised with all the talk about how aggressive they were going to be that its been slower than last year.  I expect and hope something is cooking.  But yeah if they just stop at this point -- it feels like somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.  But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that something is coming.   Feels like some signings are on the way.  I hope so at least.   :)

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The hope now is that the Giants get an offer they can't refuse from the Bills.

Not sure about this....Barkley is gonna be great but I don't think I want the Giants accumulating a bunch of picks to help them completer their roster even more. They have more holes than most every team in the league.

26 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

The first thing they did was lock up the starting QB through 2022. I think they showed they understand that

That's a different situation because the entire trade was contingent upon A. Smith signing that extension.  Why would anyone trade a promising young player and a 3rd round draft pick for a one year rental?  My point was to rewarding the guys already on your roster that have performed for you.  

51 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I know it’s unpopular but I’d like to see them sign Demarco Murray on a three year 5 million per year average. He’s a good back in a committee and stays healthy. He’s going to be cheap as he is approaching 30 but has plenty left in the tank. He did well with under 200 carries last season and could be a volume back for them if injuries come into play

I don't know if its unpopular.  If they don't ultimately draft a RB, I'd have preferred in retrospect they signed a RB in FA, Murray is fine on that count.    

I just can't recall a draft where i loved 5 different RB prospects where one of them is likely to fall to our 2nd round pick.   Part of it for me was I was fawning over Dalvin Cook in the draft thread last year.  I talked him up more so than I did for Richardson in the FA thread leading up to the signing.  To a lesser extent I also liked Kamara.    I took him on the board's mock draft. 

Cook looked great until his injury with the Vikings.  I went to the Saints-Redskins game in NO and it pained me to see all those Kamara jerseys. :)

I want a RB who is explosive.  If you watch Alex, he throws lots of quick hitches, RPO, he sets up confusion with the running game with his ball handling -- and a running back who can catch and take off to the races would help.  That's not Murray.  But that is guys like R. Jones, Michel and to a lesser extent but still in play for guys like Guice, K. Johnson, R. Penny.   

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think we get it. ;) 

*Sorry, Folks!

I inadvertently quadruple-posted, via my mobile!?!

Don't know how!?!

English is not my primary language; so, I hope that my appeal for forgiveness is granted...

Hope y'all 'got' that.

At this point, I'd be relieved if we re-signed Gallette and Bergstrom.  I think most people agree about Gallette.  There's not much out there for edge rushers in free agency, and the draft does not run deep at the position.  Bergstrom is our only back-up with experience at center.  He won't be expensive, and we can probably cut him with little effect if we land a better option in the draft.  Thoughts?

Archived