Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think people around here need to understand football is a game of absolute patience.

frustrated that the team has been a sideshow for years? No one can blame you. Frustrated with how the FO has been run? Preach. 

But a lot of this stuff doesnt get sorted over night. It’s all a process.

Negativity permeates. Agents are aware of social media, as are teams. If you think players and agents aren’t aware of things that are said on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and even ES itself you’re fooling yourselves.

There is certainly room for some negativity as it pertains to this team. Things haven’t been functioning as needed for a very long period of time. But we help perpetuate the negativity surrounding the franchise.

”Then fix it”. Agreed. But if people are reading these forums to get a general feel (they are) then players and agents see the dysfunction from a mile away. Even the thread welcoming Alex Smith turned into a negative side show. People are 100% aware of this stuff.

And the thought is, “damn, this team’s fans hate this team.”

And then we sign players... because of the money we offer primarily. 

Im not saying be in love with everything, or not to voice concerns. I’d be hypocritical in saying that. But what we CAN do is be a bit more open minded with some moves and a little less, uhhh, dramatic with some of the moves. 

Granted, it’s an extremely SMALL part and not what will ultimately drive a franchise turnaround. We all know that. But we can do our part simply by not being rage filled schmucks (obviously this doesn’t apply to a lot of the posters here... but it does apply to a decent number)

I agree time for us to move on from............  and hope for positive change and what ever that could be. New football season a head. 

As a sports fan, it's about hope for the future.  Once your hope is gone, to avoid all kinds of angst and misery, you should follow it (hope) right out of the door.  Ultimately, sports is suppose to be fun and a temporary escape from real problems.  When it becomes your illness as opposed to some type of cure, it's time to find some other endeavor that makes you happy.

ADDED:  Also, well done Colts!!!

Love they brought Brown back, really like that they added Richardson and the re-signs of Nsheke and Everett, and I like that they’re staying patient with Cromartie and Galette.  Of course we upped the deal to Cromartie supposedly, which was a bit of a tip off to our desperation there.  

If we suppose that DL, ILB, slot corner and WR were our top needs, followed by OLB depth, back, and G... this FA ain’t looking great at the moment.  

I’m a little bothered by the idea that losing Cousins and the Smith trade is dictating what the FO is doing.  What I mean is that 1) they had to get another proven, deep threat receiver for Smith, 2) they have to find a slot corner to replace Fuller, and 3)  they don’t want to spend big on DL because they’ll lose the comp pick for Cousins.  Those aren’t necessarily bad things on the surface, but they could come back to bite us - the DL issue especially.  

Normally, I wouldn’t assume those things, but it completely fits with Allen’s ego, and a desire to come out ok for losing Kirk and to keep his job.  

Add to this the mention that they pay attention to mock drafts, and the idea they might pay attention to social media, I could see them bypassing BPA and forcing a pick on Vea at 13 and rb in the 2nd (at the tail end of a run on backs).  

Hate the fact I’m even thinking these things.  

With th all of that said, they are/we’re in a tough spot this offseason - plenty of needs, not a lot of cap, losing starters and depth to FA, and lacking a bit of draft resources.  Of course, they also brought some of it on themselves with their win-now mentality, losing Cousins, the (relative) lack of success, poor FO structure, and some other questionable desicions.  

Wow, that turned into a rant.  I’m usually a bit of an optimist too.  

45 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Also Kirk was gone as soon as the last play of the last game this year, not a Redskin anymore fans.  Kirk wanted out and he and his agent used the system to get that.  Smith was a decent pick up he is signed for 4 years and we know who are QB is going to be.  Time to move on for me.  We signed Brown who I think was one player we could not lose.  Players are going to get cut later, after the draft.  

According to Kirk himself he was gone two and a half years ago. He just was dishonest since then about his intentions. Don’t believe me? Watch the introduction press conference, been this way under all our noses for years. The people who have had such a negative reaction to people like me saying forget Kirk for months now just don’t get that. His own words said leaving was his plan all along, hard to accept but that’s from the man’s own words

Anyone who wants this team to move anywhere up in draft position needs to see what the JETS gave up to move up only 3 spots. Three second round picks. Too much to move up these days, would like to move down and get on one of those deals

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Love they brought Brown back, really like that they added Richardson and the re-signs of Nsheke and Everett, and I like that they’re staying patient with Cromartie and Galette.  Of course we upped the deal to Cromartie supposedly, which was a bit of a tip off to our desperation there.  

If we suppose that DL, ILB, slot corner and WR were our top needs, followed by OLB depth, back, and G... this FA ain’t looking great at the moment.  

I’m a little bothered by the idea that losing Cousins and the Smith trade is dictating what the FO is doing.  What I mean is that 1) they had to get another proven, deep threat receiver for Smith, 2) they have to find a slot corner to replace Fuller, and 3)  they don’t want to spend big on DL because they’ll lose the comp pick for Cousins.  Those aren’t necessarily bad things on the surface, but they could come back to bite us - the DL issue especially.  

Normally, I wouldn’t assume those things, but it completely fits with Allen’s ego, and a desire to come out ok for losing Kirk and to keep his job.  

Add to this the mention that they pay attention to mock drafts, and the idea they might pay attention to social media, I could see them bypassing BPA and forcing a pick on Vea at 13 and rb in the 2nd (at the tail end of a run on backs).  

Hate the fact I’m even thinking these things.  

With th all of that said, they are/we’re in a tough spot this offseason - plenty of needs, not a lot of cap, losing starters and depth to FA, and lacking a bit of draft resources.  Of course, they also brought some of it on themselves with their win-now mentality, losing Cousins, the (relative) lack of success, poor FO structure, and some other questionable desicions.  

Wow, that turned into a rant.  I’m usually a bit of an optimist too.  

To me I think it goes NT, LG, ILB, RB, CB, WR as most needy positions.  We resigned Brown that takes care of ILB needs,  Do not see a LG or RB that can help in free agency but there is a lot of top prospects in the draft.   SU would end the need for middle DL help and he was cut.  CB is possible in a Trade, FA or a team cut player.  WR maybe now okay with Richardson pickup. 

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

According to OTC real time guesstimate salary cap calculator they should have around 24 million still

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

And according to the updated 2019 compensatory pick calculator they should have three picks right now, one for Kirk one for Murphy and one for Paul

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Last year Bennie Logan signed a one year 8 million dollar deal. He didn’t have a great season so as long as they don’t give him more then 7 million average per year they could sign him and it cancel out the Trent Murphy comp pick and not Kirk’s 

5 minutes ago, TK said:

Especially for the 3rd best QB in the DRaft. 

I get the feeling a lot of people are buying into the Barkley to the Browns first thing.  Though if everyone trades up the Browns might figure that they'll be able to switch it around.

there could be plenty of top ten talent left by the time number 13 comes around with potentially 6 QBs being in the first round and no one willing to risk and Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino thing.  Good for trade down situations for us

OTC doesn’t appear to have Brown’s contract in there. So probably $4m. So down to $20m. So IN reality about $12m In spending money. 

Giants are gonna take Saquan or Nelson. But if Bills trade for 2 then Browns can go Darnod-Barkley. 

But dont forget the Browns signed Hyde and could feel confident taking an rb in the 2nd. 

Browns would probably be best served to take Chubb at 4 and have an absolutely dominant pass rush

10 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Last year Bennie Logan signed a one year 8 million dollar deal. He didn’t have a great season so as long as they don’t give him more then 7 million average per year they could sign him and it cancel out the Trent Murphy comp pick and not Kirk’s 

Last I heard, they weren't offering Logan any more then however much it was that they did last year. 

I'm waiting for Junior to not get the money he's looking for & re-sign here.

I can definitely understand the logic behind Kdawg's Post.  

Being ubercritical of everything the Skins do, immediately predicting doom on of the team's/coaches/players chances for even a glimmer of success, and over-reacting to each newsbit, tweet, rumor out in social media to interpret how there'll be doom and gloom, is not the "optimum" way of expressing how much of a fan you are of this team.  Moreover, contributing to (and even perpetuating) a negative perception on all things Redskins, doesn't really help -- it just helps to reinforce the negativity and to project it out to everyone on how they should perceive the franchise. ....And there's that school of thought about how when you always assume a negative outcome, that's what you'll wind up with.

BUT....even with all that being said, I'm still finding how it difficult to fall in line again, and blindly trust/support the current administration of the team.  Please know, I was never one of those who said, "In Shanny, I trust", and I certainly will not be on the "In Brucie, I'll trust" bandwagon, even if some of his moves should pan out.  

Because it's now at a point where any trust I've had in those administering of this franchise has been broken by a lot of FO missteps, some less than savory public relations manipulations, several missed opportunities to build a balanced, functional FO structure, coaches carousels, and many seemingly illogical approaches to how they planned to build continuity in the team's identity and strategic philosophy.  

At this juncture, I'm still trying to find a way to be supportive of this team, even though I'm now somewhat jaded by its recent history. Luckily, I have the rest of this off-season to work on that, and maybe a great Skins Draft will help to re-kindle my enthusiam a bit more.  

But --honestly -- I'm fighting a sense of malaise, a perception that the Skins FO is just doing what it needs to 'get by' in fielding a team that might keep fans in the seats, but not willing to do what it takes to have the team be a long-term championship caliber level.  It's like the Skins FO is willing to settle for a "profitable" team that delivers results at the 9-7 level (with wisps of Wildcard chances to entice the fans), for the next several years, while continuing a seemingly never-ending rebuild.  

Sadly, a solid QB like Alex Smith becomes a both a poster-child and a victim of that philosophy.  Smith will definitely be better than  McNabb, but, FO hype aside,  he's been a second tier QB (B, maybe B+) and now with a short-term shelf-life, but on a team that still trying to develop its supporting cast for him to perform well.  And by the time the Skins do obtain for him the supporting talent, Smith could be in decline. And ironically during that narrow window, the Skins will start scrambling to find another replacement QB, and likely having to sacrifice supporting talent/draft picks in support if that next rebuild.  

I think the Skins FO need to realize that in this next three years, it can't continue to be the team that perennially goes 7-9 with gusts up to 9-7.  And while I will continue to hope for success on each move the Skins FO makes, and will try to tamp down my criticism and negativism, deep inside, I will continue to feel they could have done better, and wondered if they are really interested in the challenge of building a winner, rather than a profit-maker.   There's just too much history now, for me to quickly mend that breach of trust.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC doesn’t appear to have Brown’s contract in there. So probably $4m. So down to $20m. So IN reality about $12m In spending money. 

Giants are gonna take Saquan or Nelson. But if Bills trade for 2 then Browns can go Darnod-Barkley. 

But dont forget the Browns signed Hyde and could feel confident taking an rb in the 2nd. 

Browns would probably be best served to take Chubb at 4 and have an absolutely dominant pass rush

@AdamSchefter: It is now entirely possible, and even likely, that the first three picks in next month's draft will be QB, QB, QB.

m.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

I dont think that they view themselves as settled at QB, the Giants are needing a QB as well. It’s all speculation at this point but would be shocked if neither team doesn’t take a QB and the Jets get first off the board

2 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

And this is so true..most certainly the last successful fa class...next to brees and obviously Kirk not working out we got the best qb available, I absolutely love the resigning of brown but still have a bitter taste in my mouth from loosing fuller and Breeland..we'll get veta veya and be solid against the run game but our corners will give up big plays, same ole same ole..hopefully I'm way off

Thank you.

My #1 hope right now is going to the draft without too many glaring needs.  I don't like it when Finlay goes for example heck I think they plan to take their OG in the first two rounds.  IMO there are not enough early picks to address nickel corner, DT, RB, LG.  Not saying you can't strike gold with a 4th round through 7 rounder -- but typically you can't look at those rounds as in the bag starters.

That's why even though I was lukewarm about signing DRC, I've warmed up to it more considering the diminishing options at that position.  I don't love in theory on relying on new starters at both nickel and outside corner.   As for the O line, even if its them bringing back Lauvao -- I'd like it.  I don't want 4 glaring needs headed to the draft.  And I get you can't fix everything in one off season. 

But, I don't buy that this defense will be good without adding one impact D lineman and I don't buy the running game will be good with the current crop.  Those two positions to me are a must upgrade if they want to take a leap above mediocrity.   So for me that would mean drafting a D lineman in rd 1 and a RB in rd 2.  If so I'd like a nickel corner in FA and a LG.  

7 minutes ago, TK said:

Last I heard, they weren't offering Logan any more then however much it was that they did last year. 

I'm waiting for Junior to not get the money he's looking for & re-sign here.

I’m all for bringing Junior back, good player won’t hurt comp picks but they still need a NT.

If they get Junior they still could sign someone for 7 average per year or less and it not eliminate Kirk pick.

Only to me it means a restructure is due if they get Junior back. As long as they don’t do that with an older player that’s fine with me 

1 minute ago, carex said:

I get the feeling a lot of people are buying into the Barkley to the Browns first thing.  Though if everyone trades up the Browns might figure that they'll be able to switch it around.

there could be plenty of top ten talent left by the time number 13 comes around with potentially 6 QBs being in the first round and no one willing to risk and Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino thing.  Good for trade down situations for us

With the way Kirk blew up the pay for QB's , it makes since to draft QB's early and take a shot to develop them and advantage of the rookie cap for 4 years.  As soon as top QBs hit the market you are going to pay and the franchise tag cannot help you now, its to high for QB's to protect from losing them or maybe using it.  Losing a QB like Rogers can happen now.   We have Smith for 4 years that may turn out to be a good thing.  But drafting a QB and developing him would be a smart move in the next couple drafts is the way I see it.

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC has the rookie pool cost now at 6 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Could change if they pick up additional picks but would mean they have 14 left after Brown comes off the books

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I’m all for bringing Junior back, good player won’t hurt comp picks but they still need a NT.

If they get Junior they still could sign someone for 7 average per year or less and it not eliminate Kirk pick.

Only to me it means a restructure is due if they get Junior back. As long as they don’t do that with an older player that’s fine with me 

Terelle Pryor has three teams looking at him, and the way WRs are paid this year he'll probably get a decent contract

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

but they still need a NT.

Here's what kills me. We're what, 10 years, into this 3-4 Defense & the only time they've bothered to really address NT was one year with Pot Roast. Every other season it's been undersized guys at NT. And for a legit big boy NT, you gotta pay to play & Bruce is as always, cheap.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But, I don't buy that this defense will be good without adding one impact D lineman and I don't buy the running game will be good with the current crop.  Those two positions to me are a must upgrade if they want to take a leap above mediocrity.   So for me that would mean drafting a D lineman in rd 1 and a RB in rd 2.  If so I'd like a nickel corner in FA and a LG.  

I know it’s unpopular but I’d like to see them sign Demarco Murray on a three year 5 million per year average. He’s a good back in a committee and stays healthy. He’s going to be cheap as he is approaching 30 but has plenty left in the tank. He did well with under 200 carries last season and could be a volume back for them if injuries come into play

Then they could go DL in the first, corner or guard in the second. Freeing up the need for a RB in the draft. Rbs in the first dont make sense to me anymore with the rookie wage scale. But that fifth year option tells me the best will be gone by the second

RB stable would then be Murray, Chris Thompson, Bibbs, and the fourth spot a competition between Perine and Kelley. 

I know it’s unpopular and I’m not a Demarco fan just like the idea

4 minutes ago, carex said:

Terelle Pryor has three teams looking at him, and the way WRs are paid this year he'll probably get a decent contract

Good point any lost comp pick would return to them they lose signing someone else when he signs elsewhere

Jets move up to No. 3 pick, ship No. 6, three 2nd-rounders to Colts -  http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22805858/new-york-jets-acquire-no-3-pick-nfl-draft-trade-indianapolis-colts

Colt fans definitely have something to be happy about today. Would love to have been in their position. In only dropping down to the No. 6 spot they just picked up three 2nd rounders. Wow!

Archived