Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

To me I think it goes NT, LG, ILB, RB, CB, WR as most needy positions.  We resigned Brown that takes care of ILB needs,  Do not see a LG or RB that can help in free agency but there is a lot of top prospects in the draft.   SU would end the need for middle DL help and he was cut.  CB is possible in a Trade, FA or a team cut player.  WR maybe now okay with Richardson pickup. 

I posted a few pages back a breakdown of positional priority, so I won’t rehash that.  So say we need to fill the holes you mention as well as OLB... we’ve addressed 2 of 7 so far.  Not great.  Still time to improve that, but we have limited resources.  Even if we address 2 more (say, Cromartie and Galette), we’re going into the draft with needs at 3 positions.  Not great, especially if from a BPA perspective.  

With all of that said, we could always get lucky with a current players stepping up - Holsey, Anderson, Kalis, etc., but there’s ample risk there.  

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

According to OTC real time guesstimate salary cap calculator they should have around 24 million still

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

And according to the updated 2019 compensatory pick calculator they should have three picks right now, one for Kirk one for Murphy and one for Paul

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Last year Bennie Logan signed a one year 8 million dollar deal. He didn’t have a great season so as long as they don’t give him more then 7 million average per year they could sign him and it cancel out the Trent Murphy comp pick and not Kirk’s 

Yep.  I’ve been talking about Logan for a while now.  He might not be the stud we want, but he’s far better a NT than we have (or have ever had), and can probably rotate in for our DTs a bit.  

The FO could really redeem themselves with a solid DL signing, though they’re going down to the wire in terms of who is available.  They could sign Logan and not mess up the 3rd round comp pick, but I do believe that is a big reason they haven’t been quite as aggressive as they could/should be on that front.  

Of course, adding Logan could also affect an ability to extend our guys and/or bring in Cromartie and Galette.  

51 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I actually think this deal signals the opposite. If you're giving that much to move up to #3, don't you check with #2 first? The Giants must have said no. I don't care how highly regarded Barkley is, you don't turn down that haul for a RB, especially since in that case it's conceivable he could still be there at 6 or after a small trade up to 4 or 5 after the QB run happens. 

Either way, that haul and still drafting at 6 would have gone a long way to rebuilding the whole roster, if they really were content with Eli. 

The Giants rarely draft top 10, nevermind top 2. And they don't plan on being in that position again for a long time, I guarantee it. They are taking a QB. 

I couldn't agree more. They're still working on that o-line of theirs too. A far more pressing need than RB for them. If they were to take Barkley at 2, who would he be running behind? A line that couldn't protect Manning. The hand wringing going on that the giants will snag Barkley is a little silly. I'd rather they take him then get a good to great QB for the next 10 years.

Cannot believe people are willing to pay Bennie Logan $7 million a year.  He is no stud, had a bad year last year and we are only in a 3 man front around 30% of the time.  Max is $5 million but honestly his true value is no more than $3-4 million right now.  There will certainly be guys with his skill set still on the board in the 4th and 5th rounds of the draft so overpaying for Logan would be crazy.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not sure I've ever read a more well-reasoned post from a respected member that I've disagreed with more strongly, KDawg. 

You think yelling and screaming is helping the team? Has it in 19 years?

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You think yelling and screaming is helping the team? Has it in 19 years?

I agree and disagree.  It has temporarily worked but not permanently.  Vinny.  Fassel (though in retrospect not sure that was the right decision)  Scot.  

I am actually in an odd way one of the more optimistic guys in a key sense by that I think we can luck into Dan making the right decision as for FO structure.  I think Scot was the right direction.  It was just the confluence of bad luck -- we had a guy who might still have had lingering issues coupled with a power struggle with Bruce. 

Was that the one and last chance at a real FO and it will never happen again?  I got no clue.  But I don't rule it out.  But I get those who disagree.   

Vinny outright said the fan unrest is what cost him his job and that stuff does bother Dan and gets to him and his family.  But I agree, it might be a long shot. 

5 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Not sure why we aren't in on Gaines... good number 2 corner, and recently turned 26, and a need.... seems like a really good fit

I read somewhere he wants good money.  Isn't he more of an outside corner though even though he has the build of a nickel?

25 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I was drooling over the chance to get Hankins last year. Are the Skins dumb enough to let him slip through their fingers again? Probably.

I am lukewarm about Poe. But I would rather have him versus no upgrades at that position.

Hankins on the other hand I am flat out excited about. He can play nose, bring some pressure, he is young. And for those consumed with comp picks - unlike Poe he wont cost you a comp pick.

Feels like 2017 all over again. Sign Hankins and I would be pleased. I said it in 2017 among other people saying the same.

Didnt happen, then.  I am doubling down on it now. Make it happen Bruce.:)

2 hours ago, TK said:

Here's what kills me. We're what, 10 years, into this 3-4 Defense & the only time they've bothered to really address NT was one year with Pot Roast. Every other season it's been undersized guys at NT. And for a legit big boy NT, you gotta pay to play & Bruce is as always, cheap.

Yeah but that didn’t work out too well either ..... showed real well in the green bay playoff game. Big boy (pot roast) got gassed ... and the packers went hurry up and trapped him on the field and we could not shift out of the base defence for most of the second half . 

31 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I was drooling over the chance to get Hankins last year. Are the Skins dumb enough to let him slip through their fingers again? Probably.

Skins were not dumb last year, his agent was a total douchebag and initially was looking for an insane contract.  He got 3 years $27 million out of the Colts and that was after a couple of weeks of no offers and reducing his price a few times.  He is not being cut for performance reasons so I doubt he is going to be any cheaper this time around and if so it is too much money for the position, will be interesting to see his demands.  Good thing is several of the teams that might have had interest already made deals for the DL and so might be out of the running at this point, one of the advantages of Bruce not suffering from premature capulation on day 1 of free agency.

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Poe isn't an option. Signed with Panthers.

I knew that. I think i was even the one who posted it when it went down.  Good catch.

Sorry I meant Logan.  So i misspoke. Yeah i wanted Poe. My top choice was Richardson followed by Poe. Both gone.

Now Hankins. With Logan a distant 2nd.

Archived