Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest FA Disappointment: Josh Norman

NoVaSkins21

In a way, Norman's issue resembles Darrel Green's, as QBs generally don't look his way.

There's not a CB in the league who can defend/prevent EVERY pass attempt; eventually a WR will get 1 or 2 catches, its just the way it is.  In turn, some look at it and say 'oh, this player hasn't done anything, or this player isn't getting his name called. Some may have expected Norman to be Superman, leaping 12 feet in the air to intercept a pass, or shoot like a speeding bullet downfield in 2.3 seconds.

I think Norman has done a good job. Just because he hasn't gotten the #s some wanted doesn't mean he hasn't caused opposing coaches to design plays away from his side, which has been the case a lot. Then you get a WR who pulls an illegal block on him, which freed up the WR he was covering, thus ending up in a big play and no flag from the ref.

Then, you have what is simply a bad play by Norman; it doesn't happen often. Pobody's nerfect... 

Oh, and I forgot to mention one other thing.

Its not the WRs in the league who are making the big plays, its the TEs who are giving this team fits. Norman covers WRs.

Let the team find someone who can cover a TE.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

In a way, Norman's issue resembles Darrel Green's, as QBs generally don't look his way.

There's not a CB in the league who can defend/prevent EVERY pass attempt; eventually a WR will get 1 or 2 catches, its just the way it is.  In turn, some look at it and say 'oh, this player hasn't done anything, or this player isn't getting his name called. Some may have expected Norman to be Superman, leaping 12 feet in the air to intercept a pass, or shoot like a speeding bullet downfield in 2.3 seconds.

I think Norman has done a good job. Just because he hasn't gotten the #s some wanted doesn't mean he hasn't caused opposing coaches to design plays away from his side, which has been the case a lot. Then you get a WR who pulls an illegal block on him, which freed up the WR he was covering, thus ending up in a big play and no flag from the ref.

Then, you have what is simply a bad play by Norman; it doesn't happen often. Pobody's nerfect... 

Oh, and I forgot to mention one other thing.

Its not the WRs in the league who are making the big plays, its the TEs who are giving this team fits. Norman covers WRs.

Let the team find someone who can cover a TE.

I agree with everything you stated. The fact that someone felt compelled to trash one of the true bright spots on this team is just mind boggling. Norman has been worth every penny and then some. You can't afford to break on throws very often when you know the QB could have 3 to 5 seconds or more to throw. You will get torched, and badly. His lack of ints shows a ton of patience and discipline to me. That goes for the entire secondary. You just can't take that many chances right now. 

@thesubmittedone hit it on the head in terms of lack of pass rush up the middle. But in fairness the team did address this issue by believing in Iaonnidis and getting lucky with Allen (not sure they go interior Dline early unless Allen falls to us. But who knows. Will take it.) Injuries have really put a hurt on things. This does not excuse some of the less than stellar - or at the very least inconsistent play of some of the healthy guys - looking at you Crowder, world beater one week, and single-handedly gives thew game away the next. 

I agree about TEs but as you stated this is a league problem. Look at Reed when healthy. It's a natural mismatch. Not sure it's that easy to just find someone to cover them. It will take away from other parts of the D. 

Hope we get to see a healthy version of this team next year. It could be exciting. 

I am not 100% disappointed in JN but what drives me crazy is to see him covering the left side of the field and watch as the other teams best receiver beats Bree like a drum. Josh, you are supposed to be a leader, tell your D.C. you want to cover the best the other team has. I do admire his fire and his toughness like causing fumbles and making tackles. 

I can see where this thread has gone in terms of getting destroyed and defending Norman.  I don't hate the guy, but after so many failed signings, especially the  bust class of 2000, I want one big name to pan out.    I'm not saying he's AH or any of those guys, but I just want some success after so much failure.

Just now, SAli457180 said:

I can see where this thread has gone in terms of getting destroyed and defending Norman.  I don't hate the guy, but after so many failed signings, especially the  bust class of 2000, I want one big name to pan out.    I'm not saying he's AH or any of those guys, but I just want some success after so much failure.

Zach Brown, DJ Swearinger. Just from this offseason alone

Beyond ridiculous. It should be apparent to anyone with two eyes that Norman has been the best player on defense for us nearly every game he's played over the past two years, with the only exceptions potentially coming post his recent injury. He's has a massive impact on our defense and calling him a #2 CB is just outlandish

48 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

London Fletcher says hello

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

So because he hasn’t had 8 picks a year, he hasn’t panned out?

And we can’t just gang up on you. I see it every week. Norman gives up his one pass of the week and you see a thousand “Norman sucks!!” Posts. 

It’s completely embarrassing. 

Was pretty smart to sign FA CB to an arguably big contract when you could have signed and settled the most important position on the the team at the time.  

Fast forward almost 2 seasons later and the team is 5-8 headed toward 6-10/7-9 and more than likely gonna lose Kirk.  Hmmmmmm,....

Teams are targeting Breeland, so clearly they respect Norman.

Should be playing like a top 3/top 5 corner, and he's not there this season. He stated that his route recognition had taken another step (heading into the season) but I wouldn't say that has been true. Initially overpaid (high demand +high talent/peak age) and currently underperforming his contract, but only slightly.

Archived