Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest FA Disappointment: Josh Norman

NoVaSkins21

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Sure I’ve heard this on one of the many podcasts I listen to but here is one link mentioning it

https://nesn.com/2017/12/josh-norman-hints-at-leaving-redskins-while-sounding-off-on-his-team/

if you also look at the news from his initial signing the team can cut him before five days into the 2018 league year and owe him nothing. 

Both parties have leverage

Norman still is one of the lowest targeted corners in the league today. That shows other teams respecting him as the player he is. Teams wouldn’t do that if they thought he was a bad player

In today’s NFL I bet the line for his services would be at least half the league if he decides to pull a Deion Sanders and leave which I lean on happening

Sorry if this is a repeat. I will delete later.   

I am aware the team can opt out. It read as if you were saying josh can opt out which I am certain he cannot.  

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry if this is a repeat. I will delete later.   

I am aware the team can opt out. It read as if you were saying josh can opt out which I am certain he cannot.  

The article says

Norman is under contract with the Redskins through 2020, but the star corner is eligible to opt out at season’s end. If he’s not confident in the team’s future, which might not involve quarterback Kirk Cousins, there’s a very good chance he hits the open market in the offseason.

The star corner is eligible to opt out. They're not saying the team, they're say the star corner can. I've never heard of any contracts set up for a player to be able to choose to leave, but that's definitely what they're saying in the article.

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Going off of what he's said so far, I would guess it's "a competent team". He came here after 2015, after we made the playoffs. He was probably expecting to be part of a rising team *cough with a GM who has an eye for talent cough*, but we've been downhill ever since. If I wanted a championship and could basically choose any team I wanted, I'd feel kind of upset too.

The team would be much "more competent" if he weren't getting torched game in, game out, for huge plays during a key part of our season.  If he's injured, he should stay off the field and get back in shape because Fuller and Dunbar are playing at a higher level than he is over the past month or two.

Just now, ncr2h said:

The team would be much "more competent" if he weren't getting torched game in, game out, for huge plays during a key part of our season.  If he's injured, he should stay off the field and get back in shape because Fuller and Dunbar are playing at a higher level than he is over the past month or two.

As others are saying and I quite agree with, the moments he gets "torched" are not nearly as often as the rest of the average corners. If he were getting torched every game, QBs would be throwing to his side of the field more often, because I'm sure they aren't going out of their way to avoid Deshazor Everett.

But ignoring that, let's go ahead and say that injuries have turned him into literally worse than a nickel corner. If he's still out on the field, that's on the coaches for putting an injured player out there instead of a healthy one. Norman does what he's told; he's told to play injured, he does that, it's his job. It's the job of the coaches around him to say he's either good enough or worse than his possible replacements.

But hey, we barely managed to get over 200 yards on offense the entire day. We get gashed on run plays repeatedly. That's all Norman. Yup.

Sigh.

All good DB's give up a big play on occasion. Norman I think plays with a lot of heart. The defense is a mess, if Norman is/was playing so badly Norman might of been benched , a stupid move, but anything can happen in the NFL,  heck the Giants benched Ely Manning for Christ sake.

When Norman was out all those weeks , you could see a difference  in the play of the Skins defense and not in a positive direction. 

I think the lack of a pass rush from the line has a lot to do  with the DB play. Hail

On 17/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, goskins10 said:

@TD_washingtonredskins I think the below post quoted is what @carex is talking about. Although I would say back that's it's not just the redskins. Most teams that have not had much success lately have the same problem.

So let's break this down. This is not just directed at you, just a good place to launch from.

CBs get beat. It happens. However many times the guy chasing the player is not who was responsible for them. If you are expecting help over the top and you don't get it, who is that on? Let me help here. The S not doing their job. Add to this the myriad of injuries creating some chaos in the secondary and not as good a pass rush once Allen and Iaonnids went down and yea, it's about impossible not to get beat. Also, Norman got hurt. Until then he was playing at an elite level. I have all the data to prove it but get tired of proving it to people when they make broad unsubstantiated statements. So please, I encourage you to do some research. You should change your mind, unless of course you prefer the tried and true "eye test'. In that case I can't help you.

Once you do the research as requested above you will see how incredibly not true your last statement is. Again, until his injury Norman was playing at an elite level and was easily one of the top 5 CBs in the NFL, and has been since the middle of 2014. He could have gone many places and gotten paid the same at in Wash.

Most avid fans of teams (kudos) forget there are other teams and other players in the league developing and improving...

Rhodes, Slay, Haden, McCourty

Sherman, Hayward, Amukamara, Peterson, Talib, Harris Jr., Peters, Johnson

Trufant, Ramsey, Bouye, Lattimore, Jackson

Smith, Robinson, Darby, Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Gilmore, White

Those are the outside corners that have been definitively better this season. Want to throw him in as #25?

I'm talking about the times [solely Norman] has been beat: short routes, long routes. Not talking about a safety cheating on a play and not being where he needs to be. We're talking about Norman getting caught watching the QB and loosing track of his guy. 

Yea, it's just posturing to say he wants to win. What a terrible attitude to have. And what is he posturing for? He is getting paid, and well. What possible benefit is it to him to call out his teammates and the coaches? The best part for me is that if a team leader on any other team on the NFL said the exact same thing Norman said, so many people would be in here talking about "That's leadership! Why don't we have that kind of leadership?" It's because we don't recognize leadership and run these guys out of town.

He is posturing about leaving because the Redskins aren't winning. 

Norman isn't a leader. He's a high talent. 
Most highly talented players at skill positions are not leaders.
That might be the best case scenario for any elite player - set the standard and make others keep up. 

Leaders they've run out of town are...?

Usually this is the time of year that fans have their pitchforks aimed at Kerrigan. 10 sacks a year arent enough! He cannot cover running backs! We should trade him for picks! OMG THE PICKS! Every year one of our top guys gets crucified by this fan base. Norman is a stud. Does he get beat occasionally? You better believe it. Does he hardly ever get thrown at? Better believe that too. There is a reason for this. He is a great player. Debate it back and forth all you want but when the Quarterbacks have 6 seconds to throw due to the make shift D-Line people are going to get open. Focus the rage somewhere else.

25 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Usually this is the time of year that fans have their pitchforks aimed at Kerrigan. 10 sacks a year arent enough! He cannot cover running backs! We should trade him for picks! OMG THE PICKS! Every year one of our top guys gets crucified by this fan base.

Interesting point of view from someone that does pretty much the exact same thing about the quarterback.

Cousins, Norman and Kerrigan are all really good players that benefit greatly from having guys that can play around them.  We don't have many of those guys around them this season.  What you're seeing is a result of that.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Interesting point of view from someone that does pretty much the exact same thing about the quarterback.

The difference here is you have a top 5 guy that is recognized as that around the league in several circles and is paid accordingly. If our QB was in the same league as the Corner I would have a different view but I don't want to derail the thread.

3 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

The difference here is you have a top 5 guy that is recognized as that around the league in several circles and is paid accordingly. If our QB was in the same league as the Corner I would have a different view but I don't want to derail the thread.

There are way more corners that can play than there are quarterbacks.  I haven't seen any top five lists for corners in a while but I'd be willing to bet that Norman isn't top five this season, not even top ten.  Ryan Kerrigan is not a top five pass rusher either nor was he when we signed him as the highest paid defender in the league.

I say all that not because I want to get rid of Norman or Kerrigan.  But to prove a point of how silly you guys are.

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Most avid fans of teams (kudos) forget there are other teams and other players in the league developing and improving...

Rhodes, Slay, Haden, McCourty

Sherman, Hayward, Amukamara, Peterson, Talib, Harris Jr., Peters, Johnson

Trufant, Ramsey, Bouye, Lattimore, Jackson

Smith, Robinson, Darby, Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Gilmore, White

Those are the outside corners that have been definitively better this season. Want to throw him in as #25?

I'm talking about the times [solely Norman] has been beat: short routes, long routes. Not talking about a safety cheating on a play and not being where he needs to be. We're talking about Norman getting caught watching the QB and loosing track of his guy. 

He is posturing about leaving because the Redskins aren't winning. 

Norman isn't a leader. He's a high talent. 
Most highly talented players at skill positions are not leaders.
That might be the best case scenario for any elite player - set the standard and make others keep up. 

Leaders they've run out of town are...?

Ah, the "you don't watch other players like I do." defense. That just not true. Again, I urge you to not just watch the highlights and actually look at the overall performance of Norman over the last few years including this year until he got injured. And he has just not gotten beaten that many times. Until two weeks ago he had only given up 13 pass completions all season. But if not, then ther is no real reason to continue on this path. 

Many highly talented players at skill positions are indeed leaders. I am really not sure where you get that from that they are not. Ray Lewis (although i do not like murders but he was a leader on the field for the Ravens), Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Von Miller are just a few. Are you saying none of these guys are leaders?  

Now you may disagree Norman is a leader but I see it the other way. He has made guys around him better. And he has performed at a very high level - despite your contention otherwise. And how do you know he is "posturing"? It may be your impression of him but he could very well be serious. And why would he not be? 

I will own the last one. I said running out of town and that's not really accurate so fair enough. Honestly, there there have been very few leaders even on the team in the team in the Snyder era. But I will say i believe many fans are overly critical of even the best players on this team -  but I also do not think that is a Redskins fan only issue and have stated that in another thread. 

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Ah, the "you don't watch other players like I do." defense. That just not true. Again, I urge you to not just watch the highlights and actually look at the overall performance of Norman over the last few years including this year until he got injured. And he has just not gotten beaten that many times. Until two weeks ago he had only given up 13 pass completions all season. But if not, then ther is no real reason to continue on this path. 

QBs did avoid Norman earlier in the year, but some of those receptions were big receptions at key moments. Those times you want the other team to test your best player and come away empty handed. Forget about those 13 receptions and we'll focus on reality: it's not Josh Norman's fault he has been relegated to the left side of the field, and it has allowed QBs to easily work around him for the entire season.

When you can pick on the Redskins LBs at any time, why go elsewhere? Swearinger is a box safety or a Tampa 2 safety and Bashaud Breeland became a weekly focus for offensive gameplanning. Almost forgot to mention Hall and Everett provided ample opportunity to exploit match-ups.

Why go to Norman?

Sure that makes him good because QBs avoided him, but look at where they were able to choose to go instead?

We're talking about this year - his 20 million salary year - and what teams would pay for his performance after this season and moving forward. Our difference of opinion is that Norman's drop off in play since he's been back has been more to do with guessing or sitting on routes and losing track of his man (something DHall was crucified here for). Revis didn't lose track of his man, that's what the Redskins were looking for: an elite cover and zone corner. I think they got one, but they didn't get the other. That's worth about 13-15 million per season as today's cap goes. 

To have a player question what he's doing on a non-playoff team when he's making 20 million a season is absolutely asinine. You are part of the problem.

Many highly talented players at skill positions are indeed leaders. I am really not sure where you get that from that they are not. Ray Lewis (although i do not like murders but he was a leader on the field for the Ravens), Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Von Miller are just a few. Are you saying none of these guys are leaders?  

Elite Qbs are great leaders - that is why they are elite.

What about Randy Moss and Jerry Rice? The two best at the position, neither were leaders. How many of the top 10 WRs of all-time were?

What about the last two great backs: LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson? No.How many of the top 10 RBs of all-time were?

How about now?

Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown, are they leaders? No. 
Beckham, Green or Hopkins? No.

It's more likely to find elite players that are not leaders. We can go on all day. 

Now you may disagree Norman is a leader but I see it the other way. He has made guys around him better. And he has performed at a very high level - despite your contention otherwise. And how do you know he is "posturing"? It may be your impression of him but he could very well be serious. And why would he not be? 

Being a high talent player allowing guys to learn from watching your game/practice tape doesn't count as being a leader. The optics are obvious without any in depth thought: they voted the barely comprehendible Swearinger the team captain of the secondary in his first off-season. There was an absence of leadership in the room.

I will own the last one. I said running out of town and that's not really accurate so fair enough. Honestly, there there have been very few leaders even on the team in the team in the Snyder era. But I will say i believe many fans are overly critical of even the best players on this team -  but I also do not think that is a Redskins fan only issue and have stated that in another thread. 

Off hand, I cannot think of a player that the Redskins have walked away from in the last twenty years - other than Ryan Clark - who was a leader. 

The criticism the Redskins front office deserves is the mega free agent deals that were ludicrous and trading draft picks. They've paid the vast majority of the players that should have been paid (since Snyder's early seasons).

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

QBs did avoid Norman earlier in the year, but some of those receptions were big receptions at key moments. Those times you want the other team to test your best player and come away empty handed. Forget about those 13 receptions and we'll focus on reality: it's not Josh Norman's fault he has been relegated to the left side of the field, and it has allowed QBs to easily work around him for the entire season.

When you can pick on the Redskins LBs at any time, why go elsewhere? Swearinger is a box safety or a Tampa 2 safety and Bashaud Breeland became a weekly focus for offensive gameplanning. Almost forgot to mention Hall and Everett provided ample opportunity to exploit match-ups.

Why go to Norman?

Sure that makes him good because QBs avoided him, but look at where they were able to choose to go instead?

So now Norman sucks because the other part of the team sucks? That's your theory?

You aren't exactly fair. It's the opposing OC and HC's job to find holes in our D. And ours are obvious.

Your point is that Norman sucks, but we don't know because others are even worse. That is a lame argument really. If Norman was that bad, they would attack him at will as they are attacking the middle of the Defense, or Breeland, or Everett, or whoever else is on the field that sucks, just like running the ball on us at will. Also, you bash on Swearinger, but it's still Norman's fault if the FS whiff on the play.

Then at the same time you discard his injury but still notice they were avoided him earlier. Probably because he was healthy.

Now I'd like you to define what is " Key moment"? Is it a key moment because of the score, down, distance and everything that goes with it, or is it a key moment because of the big reception?

To have a player question what he's doing on a non-playoff team when he's making 20 million a season is absolutely asinine. You are part of the problem.

I find it sane. He wants to win, he's obviously not here for the paycheck only like some used to be. Is he part of the problem? Hell yeah, like the other 82 guys on the roster right now, and the coaches and FO up to the owner.

You're bashing on him because he wants to win? I'd love to have another 21 guys on the team that are fighting as he is. Because not everyone is right now.

Elite Qbs are great leaders - that is why they are elite.

Egg or Hen question here. But are they leaders because they are great QBs or are they great QBs because they are leaders? According to your follow up on this, it's the former. They aren't leaders because that's in their character, they are because they are QBs. And the example you just gave are pure guess from your end.

You don't have to be a QB to be a leader. Heck, Swearinger, Hall, Hood are leaders for this D. Not exactly the best players around, but they still lead by experience, character and support of other. Now I'm pretty sure that guys like Bell and Brown are more involved into Leadership that you think. They're probably overshadowed by Big Ben, but they are as well.

But now you're right, Neither Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders were great leaders for their respective teams. Or Walter Payton for that matter... That's basically the 4th best RBs all time... WRs? I'm pretty sure you are wrong as well here... Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald would love to have a talk with you on the matter. Jerry Rice was a leader, but because he had Montana you just discarded him...

Being a high talent player allowing guys to learn from watching your game/practice tape doesn't count as being a leader. The optics are obvious without any in depth thought: they voted the barely comprehendible Swearinger the team captain of the secondary in his first off-season. There was an absence of leadership in the room.

That's an easy free shot at Swearinger here.

How the hell do you know? You're making pure uneducated guess on the matter and give us a jealous kind of answer. What you're fed up because they didn't named you team captain? What absence of leadership in the room? They could have went for Hall who used to be a team captain, or Compton, Kerrgan, Foster,Hood or Breeland, Norman, all vets with experience in the game and leadership. That's quite an indictment of the guy. But once again your theory is there's no leadership because he sucks and there was no one better...

The criticism the Redskins front office deserves is the mega free agent deals that were ludicrous and trading draft picks. They've paid the vast majority of the players that should have been paid (since Snyder's early seasons).

Both hasn't happened since Jay was named HC, but for the Norman's signing. And he was gonna get paid considering his situation at the time being and the high level of play he was giving. And he hasn't disappointing. Now if you expect him to be error free since he signed and not allow a single reception ever, ever, ever well, then this is for you:

au_gallery_disneyland_9_f586a2ef.jpeg?re

15 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

So now Norman sucks because the other part of the team sucks? That's your theory?

You aren't exactly fair. It's the opposing OC and HC's job to find holes in our D. And ours are obvious.

Your point is that Norman sucks, but we don't know because others are even worse. That is a lame argument really. If Norman was that bad, they would attack him at will as they are attacking the middle of the Defense, or Breeland, or Everett, or whoever else is on the field that sucks, just like running the ball on us at will. Also, you bash on Swearinger, but it's still Norman's fault if the FS whiff on the play.

What I am saying is not complicated. Like the Nnamdi argument back in Oakland, Norman is benefitting from other Redskins being incapable of their responsibilities or failing to put in the prep time. Nnamdi declined quickly and it still took time for QBs to look his way consistently. There is a perpetuated myth that Norman is the elite corner in this league, cover and zone. At some point we have to accept that while he has been the best since a healthy Shawn Springs, but he has not been the top corner that he was intended to be. 

I can see an argument for having Norman in your top 10 corners last season based on the numbers, but not this season. If he's not a top 3 (or at least top 5) next season, at what point do you come to the conclusion: he'd be a #1 corner on about half the teams in the league, but that's not worth what we paid/are paying him. If he was paid 75% of what he is paid this would be a different story.

The amount of expectations and criticism for failure to live up to expectations is contingent on the contract. What Cpt. Kirk ends up with changes how he will be portrayed in the media and by fans. 

Then at the same time you discard his injury but still notice they were avoided him earlier. Probably because he was healthy.

Now I'd like you to define what is " Key moment"? Is it a key moment because of the score, down, distance and everything that goes with it, or is it a key moment because of the big reception?

Flow of the game. There are certain times when you need to hold relative to the score of the game, where you are in the field and what has recently transpired. If you've played enough sports, there are times in each game whatever the game that are key moments. Too ambiguous for you? Look at Norman's long receptions given up and ask yourself objectively whether they were crippling to the defensive effort on that drive. 

I find it sane. He wants to win, he's obviously not here for the paycheck only like some used to be. Is he part of the problem? Hell yeah, like the other 82 guys on the roster right now, and the coaches and FO up to the owner.

You're bashing on him because he wants to win? I'd love to have another 21 guys on the team that are fighting as he is. Because not everyone is right now.

Norman accounts for 9% of the Rule of 51 cap. Why are you lauding him for starting to murmur about "coming here to win"? Any NFLer should be unhappy to lose and every FA should elect to sign somewhere because they have the ability to win. 

Kerrigan isn't elite. He is overpaid. But he's the example of what you do when the going gets tough. Re-focus, say the right things and produce.

Egg or Hen question here. But are they leaders because they are great QBs or are they great QBs because they are leaders? According to your follow up on this, it's the former. They aren't leaders because that's in their character, they are because they are QBs. And the example you just gave are pure guess from your end.

You don't have to be a QB to be a leader. Heck, Swearinger, Hall, Hood are leaders for this D. Not exactly the best players around, but they still lead by experience, character and support of other. Now I'm pretty sure that guys like Bell and Brown are more involved into Leadership that you think. They're probably overshadowed by Big Ben, but they are as well.

You're reaching. 

But now you're right, Neither Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders were great leaders for their respective teams. Or Walter Payton for that matter... That's basically the 4th best RBs all time... WRs? I'm pretty sure you are wrong as well here... Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald would love to have a talk with you on the matter. Jerry Rice was a leader, but because he had Montana you just discarded him...

Cool, so 2 out of 10 WRs.

That's an easy free shot at Swearinger here.

How the hell do you know? You're making pure uneducated guess on the matter and give us a jealous kind of answer. What you're fed up because they didn't named you team captain? What absence of leadership in the room? They could have went for Hall who used to be a team captain, or Compton, Kerrgan, Foster,Hood or Breeland, Norman, all vets with experience in the game and leadership. That's quite an indictment of the guy. But once again your theory is there's no leadership because he sucks and there was no one better...

The guy who was benched in week 13 is a leader...ok.

Swearinger fan since his draft year. He's been about the only difference maker in the secondary this year, although there is some merit to Fuller having been a difference. Love the passion and the big hitting ability. However, I've seen the pre-game rah-rah speeches from Swearinger, have you?

Both hasn't happened since Jay was named HC, but for the Norman's signing. And he was gonna get paid considering his situation at the time being and the high level of play he was giving. And he hasn't disappointing. Now if you expect him to be error free since he signed and not allow a single reception ever, ever, ever well, then this is for you:

So, absent injury and recovery (6 weeks) Norman has lived up to his contract as the best DB in the league?

4 hours ago, Silvernon said:

What I am saying is not complicated. Like the Nnamdi argument back in Oakland, Norman is benefitting from other Redskins being incapable of their responsibilities or failing to put in the prep time. Nnamdi declined quickly and it still took time for QBs to look his way consistently. There is a perpetuated myth that Norman is the elite corner in this league, cover and zone. At some point we have to accept that while he has been the best since a healthy Shawn Springs, but he has not been the top corner that he was intended to be. 

And what makes you think others are not benefitting from this as well then?

The amount of expectations and criticism for failure to live up to expectations is contingent on the contract. What Cpt. Kirk ends up with changes how he will be portrayed in the media and by fans. 

For you maybe. Not me. Contract that are given are very relatives to many other things than pure talent...

Norman accounts for 9% of the Rule of 51 cap. Why are you lauding him for starting to murmur about "coming here to win"? Any NFLer should be unhappy to lose and every FA should elect to sign somewhere because they have the ability to win. 

Albert Haynesworth come to mind.

Kerrigan isn't elite. He is overpaid.

No he's not. He's rather underrated in fact.

You're reaching. 

You're not answering.

Cool, so 2 out of 10 WRs.

Well that was 3, and the first 4 best RBs ever. So that was a deep shot into you argument that only QB are great leaders.

The guy who was benched in week 13 is a leader...ok.

There's so many different ways of leading... Coaches are leading too, they're on the bench all the time.

So, absent injury and recovery (6 weeks) Norman has lived up to his contract as the best DB in the league?

Well he was playing pretty, pretty good if not even more before being injured.

As said earlier as well, contracts have not much to do with talent and stuff like that.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:13 PM, ncr2h said:

I think this is a fairly true statement. I do not think Josh Norman is healthy.  And he has been owned in a number of games since his injury. Prior to that he was very good.  I agree he needs to stay off the field and get healthy.   Really have enjoyed Fuller and Dunbar this year.

Like the depth in the secondary when healthy even if we let Breeland walk, which we should. He will want more then he is worth IMO,

Hopefully Norman is open to restructuring his deal for next year.  It is too big of a hit.  He is not a shut down corner at this point.  But I would still hate to lose him.    

Archived