Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest FA Disappointment: Josh Norman

NoVaSkins21

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Thats not all he's saying.  In fact, he thinks we're the ones who are crazy. We should be sending Bruce and Dan Christmas cards.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I used to be in that camp. I have been on this board since 2001 and remember multiple times calling people out for not being loyal fans. I was sure each time we made a decision to fire a coach or sign a questionable player that things would work out. I can't do it anymore...our collective reaction as an increasingly apathetic fan base is 100% understandable. 

I'm 40...let's say that I had a friend I've known since 1982 when I was 5. He and I got along great and he was ALWAYS there for me until I was about 14 or 15. Since then though, he's been all talk and no action. Dozens of times he's promised to be there for me and never really was even though I was there for him. At some point, even though I won't ever completely abandon him, doesn't it start to hurt less when I'm let down? Isn't it reasonable and justified for me to almost expect nothing and hope to be pleasantly surprised if he notices it's my birthday or calls when my kid is born? 

Probably a crappy analogy/metaphor, but...

48 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess that's fine...but then you'd need to define "worst" for me with a little more specificity. Because, to me, if something is justified then it's not necessarily a bad thing. 

If all you're saying is that we're the most disengaged group of fans because we've been treated the worst by the team we support, then maybe I'll agree. If you're saying that we aren't loyal and should support this organization with more passion than we have, then I'll disagree. 

most judgemental

quickest to turn on indivdual players

quickest to go from hey maybe things are going to tur out okay to everything is a dumpster fire, burn the whole thing down

most unwilling to excuse things happening; for every fan who accepts that are team is decimated by injuries there seems to be one who says things like that shouldn't matter or that injuries happening shows we should tear it down as our guys are exceptionally injury prone

the quickest to pick sides and to blame every problem on the side you're against

my complaints have nothing to do with engagement or passion. 

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I wasn't saying that I wanted to get rid of him, I was just wondering what cap space we would create if he was released. 

HTTR 

Curious why you would even ask if it won't happen and you aren't suggesting it.   It's like me asking what I should make for breakfast after I spent the night with Selma Hayek.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

most judgemental

quickest to turn on indivdual players

quickest to go from hey maybe things are going to tur out okay to everything is a dumpster fire, burn the whole thing down

most unwilling to excuse things happening; for every fan who accepts that are team is decimated by injuries there seems to be one who says things like that shouldn't matter or that injuries happening shows we should tear it down as our guys are exceptionally injury prone

the quickest to pick sides and to blame every problem on the side you're against

my complaints have nothing to do with engagement or passion. 

That's fair - though I'd guess that's an unscientific assessment (at best) and ridiculously inaccurate (at worst). I think many of things you've listed show passion. And I know that there are other fan bases out there who do those things similarly to Redskin fans. 

But, I'm glad to better understand your points. 

He drops this and leaves us hanging, what is he keeping to himself?

"We have the ingredients here; it’s, what are you gonna do with it? There’s a lot of stuff I’ll keep to myself until that time comes, and when it does you’ll see it.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/34976/josh-norman-didnt-come-here-to-be-average-feels-pain-of-redskins-past-greats

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

His leadership is worth 4-5mil alone

Yeah, can't get enough whining and alluding to the problem being everyone but him.

I give him a pass, because the way they've been losing has been painful.  I don't expect anyone to be cheery the way they've lost of late.

But I'm not sure how what he's been up to of late, walking and talking, equates to that of 4-5M of leadership.

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, can't get enough whining and alluding to the problem being everyone but him.

I give him a pass, because the way they've been losing has been painful.  I don't expect anyone to be cheery the way they've lost of late.

But I'm not sure how what he's been up to of late, walking and talking, equates to that of 4-5M of leadership.

I have no clue buuut...

My guess is Norman has some legitimate equity established with teammates and is voicing what others feel as well. All he’s shared is being frustrated with the current state of the team and wanting to compete for championships (I’m okay with that). 

Hes not having a bad year, above average, yes. Not a great year though. 

On 12/14/2017 at 8:48 AM, Redskinscub said:

He was not a lock down corner at Carolina, so why should he be one here. I am glad we have him but was disappointed in his outburst,  Maybe the contract is putting a burden on him.

Some interceptions would be nice, right now Carlos Rogers could haul in more interceptions.

:rofl89:

On 12/9/2017 at 8:22 PM, kleese said:

This thread is hilarious. Norman is awesome—he gives up like one pass per game and it’s always surprising when he does. He is EXACTLY what you want from a #1 CB and he’s been an excellent signing 

I agree.  Of all the players to complain about.....this is hilarious.  

I love seeing him interviewed after a game...he just breathes confidence and leadership. He is my favorite player this season, for a variety of reasons.  He shows enthusiasm that I wish was contagious.

I’m thinking we get to marvel at Norman’s playing ability over the next three weeks and then the next time we see him he will be playing for another team. Winning to him matters, it’s not about the money. He can opt out of his deal this offseason and if he doesn’t believe the Redskins will be making that jump to the playoffs I can’t see him sticking around

6 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I’m thinking we get to marvel at Norman’s playing ability over the next three weeks and then the next time we see him he will be playing for another team. Winning to him matters, it’s not about the money. He can opt out of his deal this offseason and if he doesn’t believe the Redskins will be making that jump to the playoffs I can’t see him sticking around

Can you please provide a link or something that shows he can opt out?  This would be highly unusual. The teams had an opt out option but it’s rare for players.  

BTW. I have looked and cannot find anything to support him being able to opt out. 

Even if he can, he's not opting out after getting torched multiple times in a season.

What is real?

Josh Norman leaves and he is getting 60% of the salary he otherwise would make here. He does care about money - that's why he came to the Redskins. Norman hitting free agency in a year where it's tough to argue in any form - except forced fumbles for DBs - that he can b considered as having been a top 25 corner. Yes, there probably is at least one corner on almost every other team that played better than Josh Norman this season. 

That's reality. 

He's posturing and complaining as star players do.

@TD_washingtonredskins I think the below post quoted is what @carex is talking about. Although I would say back that's it's not just the redskins. Most teams that have not had much success lately have the same problem.

So let's break this down. This is not just directed at you, just a good place to launch from.

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Even if he can, he's not opting out after getting torched multiple times in a season.

CBs get beat. It happens. However many times the guy chasing the player is not who was responsible for them. If you are expecting help over the top and you don't get it, who is that on? Let me help here. The S not doing their job. Add to this the myriad of injuries creating some chaos in the secondary and not as good a pass rush once Allen and Iaonnids went down and yea, it's about impossible not to get beat. Also, Norman got hurt. Until then he was playing at an elite level. I have all the data to prove it but get tired of proving it to people when they make broad unsubstantiated statements. So please, I encourage you to do some research. You should change your mind, unless of course you prefer the tried and true "eye test'. In that case I can't help you.

What is real?

Josh Norman leaves and he is getting 60% of the salary he otherwise would make here. He does care about money - that's why he came to the Redskins. Norman hitting free agency in a year where it's tough to argue in any form - except forced fumbles for DBs - that he can b considered as having been a top 25 corner. Yes, there probably is at least one corner on almost every other team that played better than Josh Norman this season. 

Once you do the research as requested above you will see how incredibly not true your last statement is. Again, until his injury Norman was playing at an elite level and was easily one of the top 5 CBs in the NFL, and has been since the middle of 2014. He could have gone many places and gotten paid the same at in Wash.

That's reality. 

He's posturing and complaining as star players do.

Yea, it's just posturing to say he wants to win. What a terrible attitude to have. And what is he posturing for? He is getting paid, and well. What possible benefit is it to him to call out his teammates and the coaches? The best part for me is that if a team leader on any other team on the NFL said the exact same thing Norman said, so many people would be in here talking about "That's leadership! Why don't we have that kind of leadership?" It's because we don't recognize leadership and run these guys out of town.

I don't want the guy run out of town, but I disagree that what he's been saying of late is leadership.  He's a damn good player that has played like a shell of himself since returning from injury.  In fairness, I'm not sure there is anything he can say that's going to "lead" to wins with this bunch.  But I still have a hard time propping him up for what he's had to say of late, considering his own play has diminished.

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Can you please provide a link or something that shows he can opt out?  This would be highly unusual. The teams had an opt out option but it’s rare for players.  

BTW. I have looked and cannot find anything to support him being able to opt out. 

Sure I’ve heard this on one of the many podcasts I listen to but here is one link mentioning it

https://nesn.com/2017/12/josh-norman-hints-at-leaving-redskins-while-sounding-off-on-his-team/

if you also look at the news from his initial signing the team can cut him before five days into the 2018 league year and owe him nothing. 

Both parties have leverage

9 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Norman still is one of the lowest targeted corners in the league today. That shows other teams respecting him as the player he is. Teams wouldn’t do that if they thought he was a bad player

In today’s NFL I bet the line for his services would be at least half the league if he decides to pull a Deion Sanders and leave which I lean on happening

If Norman leaves so be it, what have we won with him here? Let's take Norman's and Kirk's money and invest in younger players. Go offensive line, QB and safety in free agency and the draft. We have corners that can play other than JN...If he doesn't want to be here then let him go. 

19 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I feel sorry for Norman. He’s a great player and came here only to be infected with this trash franchise. He looks around, he’s quite aware. He’s knows he was fleeced when he signed here 

Are we finally over Makurski? The coaching seems to be what Norman is referring to. 

Of what belongings was Norman cheated?

2 minutes ago, Mr_ Skinshead said:

Of what belongings was Norman cheated?

Going off of what he's said so far, I would guess it's "a competent team". He came here after 2015, after we made the playoffs. He was probably expecting to be part of a rising team *cough with a GM who has an eye for talent cough*, but we've been downhill ever since. If I wanted a championship and could basically choose any team I wanted, I'd feel kind of upset too.

I believe he came here for a big effin paycheck to soothe his chafed ego resulting from his abrupt termination in Carolina. If competency and the probability of winning were his criteria for choosing a team with which to sign, why would the Redskins even be on the list? You can't choose any team you want and a paycheck maxima; see, capitalism still works, even in the NFL.

Archived